PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Grow Up, Jared

BigRock
02-25-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16777872.htm

JASON WHITLOCK COMMENTARY
COMMENTARY
JARED NEEDS TO GROW UP

Luckily there’s time for Jared Allen to calm down, realize he still has a few things to prove and re-think his anger toward Carl Peterson and the Chiefs.

The truth is, Peterson would be foolish to give Allen a lengthy contract extension at this point. In three seasons, Allen has proved to be a good defensive end, a player with the physical potential to be great and the mental capacity to crash and burn.

Nope. You don’t spend two days in jail for multiple DUIs and the first part of the 2007 season probably suspended for the same violations and receive a big contract as a reward.

The Chiefs can’t afford to make those mistakes. Peterson gave party animal Eric Warfield a large contract, and Peterson lived to regret it. There’s no reason to do it again.

Giving Allen a high-tender contract for next season makes perfect sense. It protects the Chiefs and puts a gun to Allen’s head. In 2007, Allen will need to keep his nose clean off the field and put together a blockbuster season on the field if he wants a superstar contract.

Allen will also have time to calm down.

The Chiefs will learn a lot about Allen’s maturity by judging how he comes to grips with the mistakes he’s made and how those self-inflicted wounds cost him money. If Allen never acknowledges that his own mistakes are the reason he can’t get paid after three seasons, then perhaps the Chiefs should gladly let him go after the 2007 season.

You have to remember that Allen’s immaturity is the only reason he played at Idaho State rather than the Pac-10. Allen’s college immaturity stopped him from being an NFL first-round draft pick.

Is Allen growing up? Or is he the same kid who got in trouble in high school?

Beyond a lack of maturity, there are still questions about just how good of a player Allen is. Yes, he’s recorded 27 1/2 sacks in three years. Guess what? During 2000-2002 Eric Hicks recorded 26 1/2 sacks.

Allen’s on-field resume is incomplete. We still need more information. He’s not Dwight Freeney or Jason Taylor or Mike Strahan or Julius Peppers or Trevor Pryce or a handful of other consistent pass-rush playmakers.

If the Chiefs offered Allen what he’s worth right now, Allen is likely to be very insulted. Waiting until next year is the smart thing for the Chiefs and Allen.

The friction between Peterson and Allen illustrates what a difficult offseason it’s going to be for Peterson. The only easy decision he had to make was giving Tony Gonzalez a new contract.

Absolutely everything else — Trent Green-Damon Huard, Larry Johnson, Ty Law, etc. — will be high risk.

Giving L.J. a huge contract extension, which is something Peterson has indicated he’s prepared to do, won’t be popular in the locker room. Some of Allen’s dissatisfaction might be a result of Johnson envy.

Perhaps the only way to lessen the complexity of the situation is to approach the season with the removal of Super Bowl aspirations. If the approach is to build toward a Super Bowl season in 2008, then maybe it becomes easier to let go of some veteran players.

It could be tough for me to muster much emotion either way about what Peterson decides to do this offseason. He has nothing but difficult decisions. It appears he made the right call on Allen.

ChiefaRoo
02-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Big fatty is right on this one.

jlscorpio
02-25-2007, 03:29 AM
JW for GM

DaWolf
02-25-2007, 04:06 AM
Beyond a lack of maturity, there are still questions about just how good of a player Allen is. Yes, he’s recorded 27 1/2 sacks in three years. Guess what? During 2000-2002 Eric Hicks recorded 26 1/2 sacks.

I honestly don't think much more highly of Allen than I do Eric Hicks at this point. They get their sacks in bunches but disappear at key points and don't dominate against the great teams. He's an OK end but IMO is entirely replaceable. He's also a drunk driver, which makes him a turd in my book...

the Talking Can
02-25-2007, 07:22 AM
I honestly don't think much more highly of Allen than I do Eric Hicks at this point. They get their sacks in bunches but disappear at key points and don't dominate against the great teams. He's an OK end but IMO is entirely replaceable. He's also a drunk driver, which makes him a turd in my book...

huh?

Allen has single handedly won us games...St. Louis this year, Washington last year....he had made big plays even in games we lost...Hicks never played the consistent intensity of Allen....

terrible comparison....and Hicks was a FREEWAY against the run, Allen has turned into a fine run stopping DE, he just doesn't get credit for it...

Allen has become a more complete player every year, Hicks was a one-trick pony...

Phobia
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
"Johnson envy" - heh, heh. Clever Jason.

milkman
02-25-2007, 07:39 AM

There are very few defensive ends that could produce at the level that Allen has without any credible support from the interior of the DL, and with the secondary the Chiefs have had since he's been here.

HemiEd
02-25-2007, 08:05 AM
If all the players made the effort Allen does, there would be no stopping this team.

DaWolf
02-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Perhaps, his off field antics don't impress me at all. I'm of the opinion he's not built to last. I'd like to see him prove me wrong (and stop drinking and driving too)...

Deberg_1990
02-25-2007, 09:03 AM
JW is 100% right on this one. If he doesnt grow up then he should be gone....

Hes not irreplaceable..

Brock
02-25-2007, 09:10 AM
If all the players made the effort Allen does, there would be no stopping this team.

Bob Whitfield smirks at that remark.

siberian khatru
02-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Even Simon Cowell couldn't disagree with this column. Well done, Jason.

greg63
02-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Jared: STFU Fatlock

nomad
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
"Johnson Envy"...

Wonder if Whitlock had to work Long and Hard into the Black of night to Come up with that one? :hmmm:

Reerun_KC
02-25-2007, 10:38 AM
I love the "drunk driver" stones that get thrown...

I wonder how many people go to Arrowhead on game day, Tailgate, pay Carls $6 beer, drink more while traffic clears out, then get behind a wheel and drive home?

I guess it is only the players that drink and drive huh?

Adept Havelock
02-25-2007, 10:45 AM
For once, I agree with JW.

StcChief
02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
JW hit the nail on the head.

Brock
02-25-2007, 10:51 AM

I wonder how many people go to Arrowhead on game day, Tailgate, pay Carls $6 beer, drink more while traffic clears out, then get behind a wheel and drive home?

Wake up, the guy has had 3 DUIs in 4 years. That indicates a big problem.

noa
02-25-2007, 10:56 AM

It becomes a problem when you have to fork over big money to a guy knowing he's going to miss a quarter of a season and if he slips up again, he'll wind up back in jail and probably miss an entire season.

ROYC75
02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Jason feels like 95% of Chiefs fans do, ( yes I'm sure there are a few who don't feel like this ) only he gets to make it his opinion in the papers.

Jared needs to grow up and quit being a baby at this point, his amount of play next year from his own actions is in question and he wants multi million dollar deal ? :shake:

Direckshun
02-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Why on earth would a payday for LJ be unpopular in the locker room?

If LJ's not on the team, the Chiefs go 6-10 last year.

Players really need to get their heads out of their butts sometimes.

Brock
02-25-2007, 11:25 AM

yeah, I can't imagine why a guy who spends meetings either asleep or texting his friends getting a big raise would be a problem.

Direckshun
02-25-2007, 11:31 AM
yeah, I can't imagine why a guy who spends meetings either asleep or texting his friends getting a big raise would be a problem.
I understand that but the guy's the best player on the team, and by far its most valuable player.

Guy needs to get his act together but it's his team for crying out loud.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Not trying to hi-jack this thread into an LJ bashing. But for all the talk about how much his dad means to him & the way he is said to be disrespectful of other coaches. With taking phone messages in meetings and such....his dad would kick his ass. Allen is not the only one who needs to grow up

|Zach|
02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
but it's his team for crying out loud.
No, it isn't.

LiL stumppy
02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree, but I do think he deaerves more money. Not as much as hes asking. Give him the long term next year.

Brock
02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I understand that but the guy's the best player on the team, and by far its most valuable player.

Guy needs to get his act together but it's his team for crying out loud.

He's replaceable. They all are, and some of them need to be reminded of that. I would not be surprised to see the Chiefs draft a DE in round one at this point.

Extra Point
02-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Allen needs some protection.

From himself.

FringeNC
02-25-2007, 12:26 PM
There are questions about Jared Allen's maturity. There are NOT questions about Jared Allen's on-field contributions.

Edit:

"The only easy decision he had to make was giving Tony Gonzalez a new contract." That's funny, because Carl overpaid.

kc rush
02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with JW. Credit where credit is due.

Mosbonian
02-25-2007, 01:26 PM

I guess you're incorrectly assuming that a large part of the crowd drinks alcohol and drives...

I'm not a drinker....and I am betting I am not in the minority.

SO yeah....I can throw the "drinking and driving" stone.

Much as I disagree with JW on many things, he is correct on this one.

mmaddog

rtmike
02-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a good time to continue grooming Wilkerson to be a DE.

milkman
02-25-2007, 02:50 PM

We had a mediocre team with him, and would have been a mediocre team without him.

On a mediocre team there simply are no players that are irreplacable.

Halfcan
02-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Nice one JW!

Lzen
02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
JW is right on this one.

Rain Man
02-25-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm going to go contrarian and say that we should sign Allen to a long-term contract now. I think we can get him a lot cheaper now than we can next year.

|Zach|
02-25-2007, 04:53 PM
"The only easy decision he had to make was giving Tony Gonzalez a new contract." That's funny, because Carl overpaid.
Overpaid, a term used to describe every single signing of any player in the NFL on ChiefsPlanet. Especially in instances of free agency signings.

Easy 6
02-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a good time to continue grooming Wilkerson to be a DE.

I totally agree, Top Jimmy is a talent that has not gotten his fair shake yet, but when he does i think he will really impress.

As for Jared, i'm with the other 99%...as much as i am a huge supporter (he's got hustle & heart to spare, gets to the QB & stops the run), i think he has to prove he can straighten up & fly right before he gets the Fat Cat contract. Many here correctly predicted that his problems would be held against him, and rightly so.

He needs to stop letting his mouth dig a hole that he cant climb out of, you ARE wanted here Jared...BUT, take a good hard look in the mirror & realize that these mistakes are GENUINE concerns.

Quit running your MOUTH to the press & deal with this like a man & i would be willing to bet the farm that you WILL be compensated like a top guy. You F'd up, nobody else...pony up & prove you are ready for that kind of financial commitment.

Right now you sound like a spoiled assed high school kid.

GoHuge
02-25-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm going to go contrarian and say that we should sign Allen to a long-term contract now. I think we can get him a lot cheaper now than we can next year.Well that would be something the Chiefs would do. Lock up a guy long term that has suspensions on the way. Not only that if he gets one more, which he is more than on pace to do in the next contract (3 in the last 4 years) he's looking at prison time and a year out of the league. Yeah let's sign him long term!! This guy has been a catastrophe on wheels for a long time. I haven't seen anything out of him to make me think he's on the right track. This whole deal gives everybody a little look into how Jared's mind works....dumbassery at best. Makes it easier to understand how he gets behind the wheel when he's smashed. Hopefully the Chiefs have learned a little bit from their signing of old guys to long term deals and apply it to bad character guys as well. Unfortunatley I don't know that the Chiefs have learned that lesson. Hell they think Priest and Willie Roaf are playing next year.

dtebbe
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with JW. Credit where credit is due.

I agree, but it sucks to agree in this case...

DT

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 05:01 PM
If we could even get a 2nd and third for Allen I would be happy. If he doesn't want to play here, fug that drunk ass!!

Coach
02-26-2007, 05:03 PM
If we could even get a 2nd and third for Allen I would be happy. If he doesn't want to play here, fug that drunk ass!!

It won't be a 2nd and 3rd. It'll be a 1st and 3rd.

Big difference there.

If someone takes him, then go right the **** ahead.

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't think any team, even the Redskins- are dumb enough to give a 1st and 3rd for Boozer??

HemiEd
02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't get all the hatred for Jared Allen. He has ****ed up off the field with this DUI shit, but damn.

Who is our other Defensive playmaker, that is better than Jared Allen? Who?

Saying that he would be easily replacable is crazy talk.

Knob
02-26-2007, 07:34 PM
Jared Allen is an imposter. A wanna be. He needs to STFU

milkman
02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't get all the hatred for Jared Allen. He has ****ed up off the field with this DUI shit, but damn.

Who is our other Defensive playmaker, that is better than Jared Allen? Who?

Saying that he would be easily replacable is crazy talk.

He's not easily replacable, but he needs to get his head on straight.

Signing him to a long term contract right now would be a high risk proposition.

He needs to play on this one year tender,and stay out of trouble before we revisit the possibility of a long term contract next year.

milkman
02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Jared Allen is an imposter. A wanna be. He needs to STFU

Rainman posted numbers that could easily be used to support a claim that he's among the top 5 DEs in the league at this point in time.

To suggest that he's an imposter and a wanna be is pure unadulterated BS, or just simply moronic.

NewChief
02-26-2007, 08:19 PM

It doesn't matter who it is, people around here would jump on and hate anyone if they do the "wrong" thing. The only Chiefs that are above reproach are the ones who are dead.

HMc
02-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Sign him up but include a clause that reclaims his signing bonus if gets suspended again. Then if he gets done for a year, cut his ass.

Sure-Oz
02-26-2007, 09:21 PM
You don't reward dumbasses, and he is getting his wake up call. It's not ok to get drunk and drive all the time Jared, dumb****.

Hammock Parties
02-26-2007, 09:37 PM
If LJ had two DUIs and was acting this way....wow. I think people would be reacting alot differently.

Valiant
02-26-2007, 09:59 PM
If LJ had two DUIs and was acting this way....wow. I think people would be reacting alot differently.

Not really...

Deberg_1990
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM

But its not LJ....LJ doesnt appear to be the dumb**** that Jared Allen is...

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM

Probably- Allen has made a lot of fans-he was a low pick that has busted ass. Our D would have been a lot worse without him. He is the ONLY lineman until Tamba came along worth a shit. But he has let his team down, the fans down-TWICE. He will be suspended 4 games which could decide our season-and then does not man up to his mistake, he complains about getting more money. The negative backlash seems pretty tame for the way he is acting.

LJ was a 1st round pick nobody wanted. He didn't want to come here and the fans didn't want another RB. He always disrespected PH-a huge fan fav, he has mouthed off and pouted. I don't think LJ has ever won over the majority of the fans. I bet if you took a poll-most would love his production and respect the hell out of him as a player-but it would end there. He has never been KC and has seemed like he has always wanted the first train out-or limo, that is.

If LJ had done what Allen has done-this place would have a meltdown-all those original neg feelings would be splashed all over this place.

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
But its not LJ....LJ doesnt appear to be the dumb**** that Jared Allen is...

Exactly-LJ has done a lot to change his immature image- not to mention his charity work. You have to give him props for being a stand up guy.

Halfcan
02-26-2007, 10:11 PM
I have read more than one rumor on football boards-that the Chiefs trade LJ to the Giants this year for their #1 and a 4th this year and a 3rd next year. Seems low for LJ though.

But you know how reliable rumors are-lol

Rausch
02-26-2007, 10:28 PM
On the field Allen is a far better player than Hicks could ever hope to be. He's relentless, he gives his all every play, and he's CONSISTENTLY putting pressure on the QB.

Most of the time without any help from the other 3 lineman.

Note to Allen: The current NFL will no longer suffer an LT. A maniac on and off the field. With cheating and roids and horrible character in the NBA and MLB the NFL is trying to set a higher standard. You can decide for yourself if they are but that's the clear goal.

I also don't understand why you can build a contract around incentives but not include off the field penalties. For instance, if you have another alcohol/drug related offense or are convicted of a crime your contract becomes as worthless as JWhit's last BBQ bib...