PDA

View Full Version : KU officially #3

Silock
02-26-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/usatpoll.htm

Certainly can't hurt their bid for a #1 seed.

Braincase
02-26-2007, 11:47 AM
W00T!

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
And the AP poll?

Pants
02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
That's weird. I thought we'd be #5 tops this week.

DJJasonp
02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
For the first time this year....I think we're appropriately ranked (we've proven our worthiness more now than earlier in the season).

Winning tonight will say a lot about whether or not this team is a #1 seed.

teedubya
02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Wisconsin shouldn't have fallen that far. They lost by a bucket to the number 1 team in the nation. In fact, they should be #3. KU should be #4.

DaKCMan AP
02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Wisconsin shouldn't have fallen that far. They lost by a bucket to the number 1 team in the nation. In fact, they should be #3. KU should be #4.

Wisconsin also lost their previous game to unranked Michigan State 55-64. You can't justify having Wisconsin ranked ahead of Florida, who beat OSU by 27pts.

I think the rankings are pretty good.

*edit*

OSU lost by 26 to Florida in bball. They lost by 27 in football. :D

chief4life
they dropped because they have lost there last two games. You forgot they lost to Michigan State too. Rockchalk :ku:

Mr. Kotter
They'll have win out to keep the #1 seed, anyway....

noa
02-26-2007, 12:22 PM

They also lost to Michigan State this week. Two losses in a week and only slipping three spots isn't bad.

KurtCobain
02-26-2007, 12:23 PM
good

teedubya
02-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I didn't recognize the Michigan St. Loss. Totally slipped my mind. Cool, their plummet is good by me. I'd rather have a #2 seed, for less pressure... we shall see.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't recognize the Michigan St. Loss. Totally slipped my mind. Cool, their plummet is good by me. I'd rather have a #2 seed, for less pressure... we shall see.I think NC will still be a #1 seed w/ UCLA & Ohio St. I don't think KU will get the 4th one...but I have been known to be wrong every once in a while.

teedubya
02-26-2007, 12:41 PM
ok...

What am I missing here?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/polls/ap/

Updated: Monday February 26, 2007 01:03 PM

1 Wisconsin (35) 26-4
2 Ohio State (31) 26-3
3 Florida (4) 25-4
4 UCLA (2) 25-3
5 North Carolina 24-5
6 Kansas 25-4
7 Memphis 25-3
8 Texas A&M 24-4
9 Washington State 23-5
10 Pittsburgh 24-5

Mr. Laz
02-26-2007, 12:53 PM
ok...

What am I missing here?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/polls/ap/

2 different polls

apparently in the coaches/espn poll KU is #3

in the AP they are still #6

unless the AP hasn't really updated yet :shrug:

big difference though

[/edit] in fact, the AP poll still says last rank for KU was 9 ..... which was last week ...... so i don't know that the new one has come out yet.

sedated
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
KU hasn't played anyone recently.

They've taken care of business, something they couldn't do early.

But I'll wait until after the TX game and Big 12 tourney to hand them a #1 seed (to bad the committee won't see the championship game)

Mr. Laz
02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
KU hasn't played anyone recently.

They've taken care of business, something they couldn't do early.

But I'll wait until after the TX game and Big 12 tourney to hand them a #1 seed (to bad the committee won't see the championship game)
it will be interesting to see what happens when KU plays Texas.

i expect the longhorns to really bring their "A" game against the hawks. Playing defense is about a lot about effort and focus .... Texas has been blowing it off ... against KU they won't.

sedated
02-26-2007, 01:01 PM

i expect the longhorns to really bring their "A" game against the hawks. Playing defense is about a lot about effort and focus .... Texas has been blowing it off ... against KU they won't.

I think we have the athletic forwards to stay with Durant.

and the perimeter defense to stop Augustine

[/homer]

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 01:03 PM

i expect the longhorns to really bring their "A" game against the hawks. Playing defense is about a lot about effort and focus .... Texas has been blowing it off ... against KU they won't.A&M plays Texas this week too. It will interesting to see the difference in the two games going into the Big 12 tourney.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
A&M plays Texas this week too. It will interesting to see the difference in the two games going into the Big 12 tourney.
Texas - Kansas - Texas A&M playing each other this late will boost the RPI of all 3 schools as well.

we could really use a Texas win over A&M ..... it will boost their ranking and could give us the big 12 regular season title.

then we need for K-state,KU,Texas and Texas A&M to be in the finals of the big 12 tourney too.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 01:15 PM
then we need for K-state,KU,Texas and Texas A&M to be in the finals of the big 12 tourney too.And have OK St. lose to one of those teams in round 2.

teedubya
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
ok, this AP is updated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?poll=1

Ohio St
UCLA
Kansas
Wisconsin
Florida
Memphis
Texas A&M
UNC
Georgetown
Nevada

So #3 in both polls. Kick ass.

CoMoChief
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
ok, this AP is updated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?poll=1

Ohio St
UCLA
Kansas
Wisconsin
Florida
Memphis
Texas A&M
UNC
Georgetown
Nevada

So #3 in both polls. Kick ass.

Wow, I didn't expect UNC to drop that far. Memphis, like every year, is overrated.

ArrowheadHawk
02-26-2007, 02:07 PM
well all they need to do is win out and they should recieve a 1 seed

Lzen
02-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Memphis, like every year, is overrated.

Enter Ultra Peanut in 3, 2, 1.....

Lzen
02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
BTW, I think we should all just take a step back and wait to see what happens. When is the last time KU has won at Norman? I know we have the better team and should win this game tonight. Still, I want to see them come out and play a solid game and come away with the win. OU at home has always been tough for KU. You know they will be fired up and bring their best. If KU plays like they're capable, they should win. If not, OU could get the upset.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 04:02 PM
BTW, I think we should all just take a step back and wait to see what happens. When is the last time KU has won at Norman? I know we have the better team and should win this game tonight. Still, I want to see them come out and play a solid game and come away with the win. OU at home has always been tough for KU. You know they will be fired up and bring their best. If KU plays like they're capable, they should win. If not, OU could get the upset.I smell a loss coming for KU. It may not be tonight but sometime in the next two weeks.:(

Pants
02-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, KU is ripe for a loss. I, too, think we lose tonight at OK.

Thig Lyfe
02-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Agreed.

CoMoChief
02-26-2007, 05:30 PM
I smell a loss coming for KU. It may not be tonight but sometime in the next two weeks.:(

Against who?

OU sucks this season. The teams we played in Norman previously to this season were good teams unlike this season. Texas is one deminsional (Durant) even though Augustine is playing well, he'll be matched up against a great guard trio of KU.

I expect KU to play their asses off to be honest with you to solidfy not only the conference title (i hope TXAM loses sometime) but to solidfy their hopeful #1 seed in the tourney.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Against who?

OU sucks this season. The teams we played in Norman previously to this season were good teams unlike this season. Texas is one deminsional (Durant) even though Augustine is playing well, he'll be matched up against a great guard trio of KU.

I expect KU to play their asses off to be honest with you to solidfy not only the conference title (i hope TXAM loses sometime) but to solidfy their hopeful #1 seed in the tourney.They lost to Texas A&M and Texas Tech already this year. I'm sure they will meet one of them in the Big 12 tourney. It could be an upset by MU. OK St. may have redemption on thier mind after all they were embarassed by KU. IT's Big 12, it's tourney time, and it's the reason why it is called March Madness.

CoMoChief
02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
They lost to Texas A&M and Texas Tech already this year. I'm sure they will meet one of them in the Big 12 tourney. It could be an upset by MU. OK St. may have redemption on thier mind after all they were embarassed by KU. IT's Big 12, it's tourney time, and it's the reason why it is called March Madness.

Sorry, but when KU is playing great, the rest of the Big12 is just inferior. Collins is the x factor of this team and I assume he will be starting come tourney time.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry, but when KU is playing great, the rest of the Big12 is just inferior.

CoMoChief
02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah, just so happens they ARE playing great at the moment.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, just so happens they ARE playing great at the moment.Against who?
Missouri (6-8 17-10)
Iowa St. (5-9 14-14)
Colorado (2-12 6-18)
Nebraska (5-8 16-11)
Kansas St. (9-5 20-9)

Are these the powerhouses that you hang your hat on? These are the last 5 teams that KU has played. Who wouldn't play well against these chumps?

chiefsfan987
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Its nice to see the hawks ranked so high, but I think A&M should have leapfrogged us in the rankings. After all they have a higher rpi and they beat us in our own house. It doesn't make sense that we're ranked ahead of them.

acesn8s
02-26-2007, 07:43 PM
Its nice to see the hawks ranked so high, but I think A&M should have leapfrogged us in the rankings. After all they have a higher rpi and they beat us in our own house. It doesn't make sense that we're ranked ahead of them.Careful. KU homers may read that and attack you for it. FWIW I agree.

Lzen
02-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Against who?
Missouri (6-8 17-10)
Iowa St. (5-9 14-14)
Colorado (2-12 6-18)
Nebraska (5-8 16-11)
Kansas St. (9-5 20-9)

Are these the powerhouses that you hang your hat on? These are the last 5 teams that KU has played. Who wouldn't play well against these chumps?

In all fairness, those wins haven't just been wins. They have blown out those teams. KU is playing as good as any team in the country right now. That being said, we've seen streaks before only to have them lost a game that nobody thought they should lose. I love my Hawks, but I'm not a blind homer. Killer instinct is something they lacked earlier in the season. Of course, they seem to have had that killer instinct in the past several games. Hopefully, that will continue.

Silock
02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Its nice to see the hawks ranked so high, but I think A&M should have leapfrogged us in the rankings. After all they have a higher rpi and they beat us in our own house. It doesn't make sense that we're ranked ahead of them.

Think quality of losses. I'm not saying it makes sense; just that that's part of it.

chiefsfan987
02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Think quality of losses. I'm not saying it makes sense; just that that's part of it.

I'm pretty sure our losses are worse than A&M's as well. They didn't by chance lose to Oral Roberts at home did they? I know they lost to Tech twice, but thats also someone we lost to.

Skip Towne
02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey, we're KANSAS.

chiefsfan987
02-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey, we're KANSAS.

Thats exactly why I think we're ranked ahead of A&M. Its fine with me, but I don't think it makes much sense.

Lzen
02-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Sorry, but when KU is playing great, the rest of the Big12 is just inferior. Collins is the x factor of this team and I assume he will be starting come tourney time.

I love Collins. But man, tonight he showed that he is just a freshman. It appears that the pressure of starting (at least on the road) is too much for him. He is much better off the bench.

02-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah but since when have the polls ever made any sense? Personally, I think if a team beats you, especially at home, they should automatically leapfrog you in the polls.

Lzen
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah but since when have the polls ever made any sense? Personally, I think if a team beats you, especially at home, they should automatically leapfrog you in the polls.

It's not always that simple. Sometimes a team beats another team. But that team had already beaten a team that had beaten the first team. You have to take into account the whole story. I don't know who AM has played or their RPI or any of that. I'm just saying that method wouldn't always work.

02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
It's not always that simple. Sometimes a team beats another team. But that team had already beaten a team that had beaten the first team. You have to take into account the whole story. I don't know who AM has played or their RPI or any of that. I'm just saying that method wouldn't always work.
I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I just consider the polls a complete farce anyway. I am still waiting for a legitimate reason as to why we have a PRE-season poll.

Personally, I think the polls should not even be done until February 1. Until that day, all anybody knows about is record and RPI. Period. No coaches no AP no USA.

Lzen
02-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. I just consider the polls a complete farce anyway. I am still waiting for a legitimate reason as to why we have a PRE-season poll.

Personally, I think the polls should not even be done until February 1. Until that day, all anybody knows about is record and RPI. Period. No coaches no AP no USA.

Fair enough. I agree, preseason polls are worthless.

Silock
02-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm pretty sure our losses are worse than A&M's as well. They didn't by chance lose to Oral Roberts at home did they? I know they lost to Tech twice, but thats also someone we lost to.

I already said it didn't make sense. I know they lost to LSU and UCLA and twice to Texas Tech, but KU's two really bad losses were early in the season, when they don't matter quite as much. In that case, KU's loss to A&M was "better" than A&M's loss to Texas Tech.

leviw
02-27-2007, 12:25 AM
I already said it didn't make sense. I know they lost to LSU and UCLA and twice to Texas Tech, but KU's two really bad losses were early in the season, when they don't matter quite as much. In that case, KU's loss to A&M was "better" than A&M's loss to Texas Tech.

Plus KU had one more win than A&M entering the week. Now they have two. I don't think voters put much stock in past head-to-head meetings week to week when filling out their polls. If so, KU would have leapfrogged Florida last week.

Pants
02-27-2007, 02:42 AM

I don't know if you know this or not, but the rankings change WEEKLY. Texas A&M was ahead of us for that reason (beating us at home) for 3 weeks in a row.

After that, we've been dominating too much while they were busy losing to TTech.

Brock
02-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I smell a loss coming for KU. It may not be tonight but sometime in the next two weeks.:(

What you're smelling is the inside of your colon.