PDA

View Full Version : Channel 9 news reporting that the Chiefs are shopping Trent

BigRedChief
02-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Lots of rumors out there but when the local TV news starts reporting something like this there probably is some truth to it. The local TV sports people (besides Jack Harry) never do anything to upset the Chiefs. So this is probably true and I guess they have made their decision on a starter for next year.

Huard wasn't bad. Trent looked confused and not fully recovered so I don't have a problem with this move but what can you get for him? Probably nothing but get his cap # off the books if he's traded. I guess thats enough at this point in his career.

dirk digler
02-28-2007, 07:41 AM
From the Star today

A source also told The Star the Chiefs have called other teams offering Green in a trade.

BigRedChief
02-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Channel 4 reporting that the Chiefs gave Trent no choice. He has to restruture his current deal.

BigRedChief
02-28-2007, 07:44 AM
From the Star todayWhere their is smoke there is fire. I knew those local weenie TV reporters wouldn't break a story.

Mecca
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
I bet Trent really misses Vermiel now...

booger
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
I think if you are talking a team like Miami, there could be very strong interest. Saban wanted Harrington and Culpepper both and left the Dolphins screwed by giving up picks and spending salary on them. Harrington will likely get cut. Who knows with Dante but in no way does he fit their offense.

Cameron has long ties with Green and very good repore almost like that of DV, Saunders, Martz, Norv Turner, and Terry Shea who is the QB coach.

Cleo Lemon is a former Charger QB still on their roster in Miami. I could see Miami wanting the same scenario here like we have with Huard/Croyle and taking a chance on Green. Question is if he would want to uproot the Family over his desire to keep playing? I would guess so since he has been through such a rollocoster ride through his time in the league and the CFL that he probably wants to play another couple years.

Pick wise? I don't know but it would be great to try and get a 4th that we lost for Bennett. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Kind of exciting for me. I like the direction we are headed even though I really admire Green as a person and a QB.

Plus the prospect of us actually shopping a player here or their for picks is good news as well. I could see Dante Hall and Wesley shopped for picks as well. I don't think either fit into our future plans.

I have a feeling Allen will realize his best chance is to play his tail off this year, stay out of trouble, and hope for a big payday in '08.

I just wonder what the heck is really going on with LJ and what he wants, traded or to stay.

Mecca
02-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Considering what the FA market looks like it's going to be the Chiefs would be best served using this years room to part with alot of players and then be players in next years market.

dirk digler
02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Channel 4 reporting that the Chiefs gave Trent no choice. He has to restruture his current deal.

Interesting. In Teicher's article this morning Green's agent said he has not heard from the Chiefs at all about restructuring or anything else for that matter.

CupidStunt
02-28-2007, 08:04 AM
I bet Trent really misses Vermiel now...

If by Vermeil you mean Willie Roaf then sure.

Red Dawg
02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm glad they are shopping him but nobody is going to trade for a 37 year old QB that has lost his skills in particular his arm strength.

jAZ
02-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I bet this is all about putting leverage on Green to renegotiate.

Resign Huard... adds pressure.
Deliberately leak rumors about a trade (and uprooting his family)... adds pressure.

Direckshun
02-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Considering what the FA market looks like it's going to be the Chiefs would be best served using this years room to part with alot of players and then be players in next years market.
Absolutely, and Herm has indicated that there would be a house-cleaning this offseason.

Now, whether or not it happens, well. But it needs to happen.

We had a good draft in '06. If we have a good one in '07 and '08, and play hard in next year's market, we're contenders.

Please pleeeeeeease please make this happen, Herm.

Brock
02-28-2007, 08:15 AM
I bet this is all about putting leverage on Green to renegotiate.

Resign Huard... adds pressure.
Deliberately leak rumors about a trade (and uprooting his family)... adds pressure.

I doubt that. Trent has no leverage in a renegotiation anyway.

booger
02-28-2007, 08:19 AM
restructuring does his contract no good. It was last year or the year before, he offered to restructure and Carl said no. It would only make it worse in his case.

This is a paycut or get cut to stay in KC, which I doubt he will do nor does the team think he will.

Work a trade, retire, or get cut.

King_Chief_Fan
02-28-2007, 08:25 AM
I hate see Green have to leave this way. But, this offense does not play to his strength and he will continue to look like he did last season.
With that said, we best hope that Huard's performance was not an anomoly and the Huard we all thought he was during preseason is not the Huard we will ever see. He is stop gap, and we need that for Croyle to develop. I am a little concerned about plan B if Croyle does not work out.

HemiEd
02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
The calender says that Trent is 37, but he is a very young man in football years. Most of his playing time has been with the Chiefs.

Archie Bunker
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
If the Chiefs could find any team willing to give up even a 6th, I would be amazed.

Atleast the offseason is off to a somewhat exciting start.

Eleazar
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM

I agree... the only leverage he has is PR.

the Talking Can
02-28-2007, 09:24 AM
I love Trent, but this is good news.

Let's rebuild. Adios vets. If we got any draft pick for him that would be sweet. A 4th would kick ass.

Play Huard. Lose. Get high draft pick. Get moving.

Given the state of our team there is really no reason for having a high priced, old, veteran QB.

teedubya
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
His cap hit is 9.1 million or something like that. Restructure or buh-bye guy.

teedubya
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
He will end his career, in Washington. Mark it down.

BigChiefFan
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
The Bears, Dolphins, and Skins could all be candidates. Let's hope we actually get a deal for Green. It's rebuilding time.

siberian khatru
02-28-2007, 09:36 AM
The calender says that Trent is 37, but he is a very young man in football years.

I really think that concussion aged him 2-3 years.

Ultra Peanut
02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
I'll miss him, but it would be best for the team.

crazycoffey
02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
I love Trent, but this is good news.

Let's rebuild. Adios vets. If we got any draft pick for him that would be sweet. A 4th would kick ass.

Play Huard. Lose. Get high draft pick. Get moving.

Given the state of our team there is really no reason for having a high priced, old, veteran QB.

I agree with this, mostly - only difference, go ahead and play Brodie, see if he grows at all over a few games, if he declines, then pop back huard and draft another QB next year.

If we are going for a youth movement and play Huard all year, that would be dumb, IMO. Cause then next year there is still uncertainty about Brodie or Drafting a QB, Lets find out what we have now.

DMAC
02-28-2007, 09:46 AM
In all honesty, he should probably retire.
Unless we get a pick for him, in which case, Trent can go another 10 years, Skins...give us a 3rd!!

Frazod
02-28-2007, 09:47 AM
He needs to play behind a line that can protect him, and that simply ain't ours.

This is the best thing for everybody, although I personally wish he'd just retire and head for the broadcast circuit (God knows we could benefit from Chief-friendly talking-sports-head who isn't a complete retard). After all he's done for us, sadly with nothing to show for it (THANKS FOR THE NO DEFENSE DICK 4321 ) I'd hate to see him take another Geathers shot that he might not recover from.

crazycoffey
He will end his career, in Washington. Mark it down.

I'm putting my money on Miami, but I see why you say Washington.

JimNasium
Although I never thought I would say this I think it's time to cut ties and go young. I'm also in favor of trading LJ.

jAZ
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM
The Bears...
If he had to go anywhere, as a huge Trent Green fan, I would want him go to to the Bears and have a real shot at a Super Bowl.

I had a hard time pulling for Marty to win it all anywhere else, but I would have no problem pulling for Trent (as long as he isn't playing us that year).

Reerun_KC
02-28-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree with this, mostly - only difference, go ahead and play Brodie, see if he grows at all over a few games, if he declines, then pop back huard and draft another QB next year.

If we are going for a youth movement and play Huard all year, that would be dumb, IMO. Cause then next year there is still uncertainty about Brodie or Drafting a QB, Lets find out what we have now.

True, this is the time to unload and rebuild... It seems we are just using a stop gap with Huard... Why not put Croyle in, get the experience and roll on?

Trent will be missed, he has and always will be one of the 3 greatest Chiefs QB to ever step on the field. (Dawson and Montana)

He will be hard to replace.

Direckshun
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah I'd put Trent at #3.

jAZ
02-28-2007, 10:01 AM
What's his cap hit?

Bowser
02-28-2007, 10:05 AM
What's his cap hit?

9 mil plus.

It will be sad to see Trent go. He's been our best QB since Dawson, and some would argue he was as good as Len was.

I also agree witht the above. Send him to Chicago where he would have a chance to win a ring on a team HE led.

OnTheWarpath15
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Jason Campbell:

110-207
53.1comp%
1297 yards
10TD 6INT
76.5 Rating

Trent Green:

121-198
61.1comp%
1342 yards
7TD 9 INT
74.1 Rating

Explain to me why the Skins would sit Jason Campbell now, and **** with his head even more? They already have an aging QB on the roster, they don't need TG.

Jason Campbell is the QBOTF for the Washington Redskins.

Brock
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
What's his cap hit?

His salary is 7.2 million. I don't know what the signing bonus factor is, but that is going to be the same whether you cut him or trade him. The only reason to renegotiate with him that I can see is if you want to keep him around as a backup.

FringeNC
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
My advice to Trent would be to tell the Chiefs he is not restructuring, get cut, and then go play for a team that doesn't have a moron as a head coach. Why would you want to play for a Herm Edwards offense if you didn't have to?

Edit: Trent Green is not getting traded. No team is going to pick up his current contract, and why would he renegotiate first? Get cut, and go to the team he wants.

Bowser
02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
His salary is 7.2 million. I don't know what the signing bonus factor is, but that is going to be the same whether you cut him or trade him. The only reason to renegotiate with him that I can see is if you want to keep him around as a backup.

I think somebody had a post of salaries not too long ago, and Trent's was second only to Surtain's. I assumed that included signing bonuses.

CosmicPal
02-28-2007, 10:24 AM
No offense, I love Trent, but after this past season with the concussion and his inability to perform like the QB he was before the concussion- I doubt anyone would want him.

It's not a good time to be shopping him 'cause we would be lucky to get anything out of it. I can however, see the Chiefs shop him in a package deal with Jared Allen or something like that. But, to shop him alone, I just don't see any team willing to give up anything higher than a 5th or 6th round after his performance last season.

It's not how you performed over the course of your career that matters as much as how you performed the last 16 games. And his last 16 games were pretty bad.

NewChief
02-28-2007, 10:26 AM
No offense, I love Trent, but after this past season with the concussion and his inability to perform like the QB he was before the concussion- I doubt anyone would want him.

It's not a good time to be shopping him 'cause we would be lucky to get anything out of it. I can however, see the Chiefs shop him in a package deal with Jared Allen or something like that. But, to shop him alone, I just don't see any team willing to give up anything higher than a 5th or 6th round after his performance last season.

It's not how you performed over the course of your career that matters as much as how you performed the last 16 games. And his last 16 games were pretty bad.

I think you're underestimating the opinion coaches who have worked with Trent in the past have of him, four of whom are now head coaches in the NFL.

FringeNC
02-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I think you're underestimating the opinion coaches who have worked with Trent in the past have of him, four of whom are now head coaches in the NFL.

At least if Trent does get cut, you can spill the beans as to what Trent actually thinks about Herm and his so-called offense.

crazycoffey
02-28-2007, 10:30 AM
True, this is the time to unload and rebuild... It seems we are just using a stop gap with Huard... Why not put Croyle in, get the experience and roll on?

Trent will be missed, he has and always will be one of the 3 greatest Chiefs QB to ever step on the field. (Dawson and Montana)

He will be hard to replace.

Yes he will be hard to replace, I like trent alot, and I agree best QB we've ever had, arguable to second behind Lenny only.

I also like the scenerio for him to go to Chicago, great D, good running game and line, they are set to win now and the only true missing piece is the QB.

If their game to trade for trent and not scared off by his performance last year/concussion.

CosmicPal
02-28-2007, 10:34 AM

The guy wasn't the same after the concussion. Period. He lost his confidence in the pocket. He couldn't throw with authority. And he simply looked lost out there- with absolutely no determination, and a fear of throwing downfield.

Had it not been for that concussion, and his play after coming back from the injury- he'd certainly demand high trade value, even if he's only capable of playing a couple of more years.

But, I'd be surprised to see any team willing to give up anything more than a 5th rounder for him now.

NewChief
02-28-2007, 10:36 AM
The guy wasn't the same after the concussion. Period. He lost his confidence in the pocket. He couldn't throw with authority. And he simply looked lost out there- with absolutely no determination, and a fear of throwing downfield.

Had it not been for that concussion, and his play after coming back from the injury- he'd certainly demand high trade value, even if he's only capable of playing a couple of more years.

But, I'd be surprised to see any team willing to give up anything more than a 5th rounder for him now.

I think that coaches in the NFL are smart enough to know there were factors contributing to Trent's performance issues beyond the concussion. We'll see, though.

FringeNC
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM

It's hard to complete passes against San Diego and Baltimore on third and long. Other NFL coaches who might be interested in Green know that.

HemiEd
02-28-2007, 10:46 AM
I really think that concussion aged him 2-3 years.

Good point, he is not the same for sure.

Chief Chief
02-28-2007, 10:53 AM
The calender says that Trent is 37, but he is a very young man in football years. Most of his playing time has been with the Chiefs.

Football years?

Hmmm...37...

Wouldn't that make him something like 3 in dog years?

kcxiv
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I dont know why people say rebuild now. come on guys, CP will NEVER rebuild. NEVER NEVER NEVER. HE will try to fill the gaps. he has only a few years left, he is not going to go out with a 4-12 team. Just will NOT happen.

rtmike
02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I don't see Washington happening. The club is already in the negotiations with Brunell's agent for restructuring. They're not gonna want two high $$ past their prime QB's backing up Campbell,IMO.

kcxiv
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Good point, he is not the same for sure.
i dont know if it was the concussion. It may have been a part of it. Or maybe it was him bieng a lil scared to get hit again. Our oline was horrible. Especially in that play off game. Freeny made Black his bitch.

HemiEd
02-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Football years?

Hmmm...37...

Wouldn't that make him something like 3 in dog years?
I come up with 5.2857142

i dont know if it was the concussion. It may have been a part of it. Or maybe it was him bieng a lil scared to get hit again. Our oline was horrible. Especially in that play off game. Freeny made Black his bitch.
I think it might be some of both. A couple of times, it appeared to me like he was making a point to show he was not scared to run again.

He has always fought overthrowing the ball (since being a Chief) and having it end up low and into the ground. That seemed to get worse IMO.

FAX
02-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm having difficulty adjusting to the personnel changes over the last couple of years.

Roaf, Shields, Holmes, Green, (LJ trade?), Allen? ... with no legitimate, young players with star potential in the queue as replacements ...

I'm losing faith over here.

FAX

ILChief
02-28-2007, 11:35 AM
I think that coaches in the NFL are smart enough to know there were factors contributing to Trent's performance issues beyond the concussion. We'll see, though.

yeah those factors are that he has a weak arm and fumbles when someone in the third row sneezes.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2007, 11:36 AM
QB Trent Green

base salary - $7,200,000
cap number - $9,148,808
years left on contract - 3 (i think)

6.5 million in bonus money still left to count against cap

trading Trent results in a cap savings of 700,000

best guess

Wile_E_Coyote
02-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I hope Trent stays & we can trade Huard mid-season to a team with an injured QB. My faith in Huard is very low

NewChief
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
yeah those factors are that he has a weak arm and fumbles when someone in the third row sneezes.

Yeah, because a strong arm really helps when your receivers only have time to run 5 yard routes before you get sacked.

ferrarispider95
02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm having difficulty adjusting to the personnel changes over the last couple of years.

Roaf, Shields, Holmes, Green, (LJ trade?), Allen? ... with no legitimate, young players with star potential in the queue as replacements ...

I'm losing faith over here.

FAX

I am on the same page - we were spoiled with that kind of offensive talent.

I don't want Trent to go, I would rather see him go head to head with Huard and Croyle in training camp.

ferrarispider95
02-28-2007, 11:48 AM
The move or decision also bothers me because if Huard was so much better than Green, why in the f*ck did he not start in the playoff game atleast start the 2nd half.

Nothing has changed since the playoff game in respect to the players abilities.

King_Chief_Fan
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
QB Trent Green

base salary - $7,200,000
cap number - $9,148,808
years left on contract - 3 (i think)

6.5 million in bonus money still left to count against cap

trading Trent results in a cap savings of 700,000

best guess

Below is an answer to someone who wrote Theicher (sp):
Green costs them more than $9 million right now. If they cut him, he costs them about $4.9 or $5 million. If they designate him as a post-June 1 cut for cap purposes, he costs only about $1.65 this season and then about $3.3 next season. That's a pretty big savings, so they have a lot of leverage there. I don't think Carr would happen here. Herm likes the young guy he has.

Frosty
02-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Let's see - Martz liked Green and Detroit is shopping 'Dre Bly - maybe the Chiefs could trade Green to Detroit for Bly (though I would rather have draft picks, too).

Logical
02-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I hate see Green have to leave this way. But, this offense does not play to his strength and he will continue to look like he did last season.
With that said, we best hope that Huard's performance was not an anomoly and the Huard we all thought he was during preseason is not the Huard we will ever see. He is stop gap, and we need that for Croyle to develop. I am a little concerned about plan B if Croyle does not work out.

I agree that Green does not fit in the dumbed down scheme, it is a waste of his ability to make reads and run a diverse offense. He is going to take up to much cap space for a position that at best needs only a caretaker QB who does not turn the ball over.

tk13
02-28-2007, 01:24 PM
I think he was slow to get back from the concussion, but I thought he was "on" in the playoff game, he was hitting guys on the money, they just weren't catching it. I think he can still be just fine. I think most people's analysis of his playoff performance is about the most off-kilter thing I've seen in my six years on this board. And that's what people are using to knock him down. I feel like the whole universe watched a different game than I did. Just in that nobody else on offense showed up, LJ, the OL, any of the WR's, and Trent didn't play that bad, yet he's the one going under the bus. Seems kinda backwards. I understand the age issue and all that, but I think he can still play. He's not going to sling it downfield 40 yards like a bullet but he really didn't do any worse than the other QB's against Indy in the playoffs. I still think Gruden should take a shot with him.

boogblaster
02-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Green has the basics down ..his ability to move in the pocket has dropped to nothing..with the OL the way it is he doesn't have a chance..whoever QBs this year has to be able to scramble..so in reality that leaves the Kid as the only one that could do that .....

chop
02-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Let's see - Martz liked Green and Detroit is shopping 'Dre Bly - maybe the Chiefs could trade Green to Detroit for Bly (though I would rather have draft picks, too).

Bly wants out of Detroit because he struggles playing cover two defense. Remember Marinelli came from T.B. and likes to run that defense. FYI, Bly will throw his teammates under the bus and will be a locker room distraction IMO.

Hammock Parties
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
This makes more sense than trading LJ.

BigRedChief
02-28-2007, 04:15 PM
This makes more sense than trading LJ.
I'd agree with this but we also see what LJ is worth.