View Full Version : JASON WHITLOCK-Hard to see a role for Green here

C-Mac
02-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Hard to see a role for Green here
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Previous columns
Football is cruel.

Luckily, Trent Green knows this better than most professional athletes. He was booed as a college quarterback. He launched an NFL career even though no one really wanted him. A cheap shot to the knee cost him a chance to lead a Super Bowl team and one of the best offenses in the history of the league.

Yeah, Trent Green knows that football is cruel.

So news of Damon Huard’s new Chiefs contract probably didn’t hurt Green as much as it might have a different player. Green knows how to roll with the punches and the kicks to the groin.

Carl Peterson’s decision to re-sign Green’s backup was just a good business decision. It makes football sense, too.

The Chiefs cannot afford to be committed to Green in 2007. They need some flexibility at the QB position, room to play youngster Brodie Croyle if they so choose. Green’s $7.2 million salary doesn’t leave much room for flexibility.

With Huard agreeing to take a high-backup salary ($2.5 million a year over three years), the Chiefs have the freedom to cut Green or force him to take a gigantic pay cut.

It’s difficult to see where Green fits in. The Chiefs are moving in a different, younger direction. Huard is an ideal stopgap quarterback. He’ll be comfortable in any role. Herm Edwards can pull Huard in and out of the lineup without worrying whether Huard’s ego will be bruised or whether his confidence will sink.

Green should strongly consider retirement.

He had a terrific run here in Kansas City. For the better part of six seasons, he was one of the 10 best quarterbacks in the NFL. He made a boatload of money. Why risk a future concussion?

It’s unlikely that he could sign with a Super Bowl-caliber team as a starter. He could certainly land a backup job with a top-flight team. Given Steve McNair’s age and history of injuries, Green would make a lot of sense in Baltimore as a backup. If something happened to McNair, Green could step into a Super Bowl situation.

Maybe the Philadelphia Eagles would be a good landing spot for him, too. Jeff Garcia had a good time filling in for Donovan McNabb last season.

But does Green really want to spend the next two or three years as an emergency backup? Maybe he does. He’s never struck me as a man with an out-of-control ego. Perhaps he could handle being a backup.

Most athletes have to be waived out of their sports. Playing the game is an excuse to never really grow old. But you don’t want to be carried out of the sport, either. Green suffered a major head injury last season.

At age 37, I can’t imagine him recapturing the form that made him a Pro Bowler. I can imagine him developing a heck of a career as a broadcaster for the NFL Network or even local TV.

Green wasn’t a big enough star to walk away from the game and command a big job with one of the major networks. He could be our next Len Dawson, though.

Whatever Green chooses, even if it’s return here and fight for his job at a reduced salary, I wish him nothing but success. He’s carried himself remarkably well in good times and bad times.

His career in KC began on a sour note (the interceptions) and might have ended on a sour note, too (the boos from Chiefs fans). Green was the same person for all six seasons.

Direckshun
02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Yeah.

I think Chiefsplanet already wrote this article, fatlock.

KC Kings
02-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I wonder how much Fatlock paid JoPo to write this article for him?

Arrowhead Pride
02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
If you want to consider trading LJ, then you have to do the same for Trent Green.

ROYC75
02-28-2007, 08:27 AM
If you want to consider trading LJ, then you have to do the same for Trent Green.

I think we need to trade the whole Chiefs cheerleaders for the Charger girls, even the Miami Cheerleaders.

We gotta have something worth watching in the next few yeas at the games.

Direckshun
02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
I think we need to trade the whole Chiefs cheerleaders for the Charger girls, even the Miami Cheerleaders.

We gotta have something worth watching in the next few yeas at the games.
Let's see some pictures and we'll see what we can negotiate.

ROYC75
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM

Trust me , it's a slam dunk............

cookster50
02-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Even the ugliest cheerleader on any other team is better looking than the prettiest Chief cheerleader. Where do they find those chicks?

Kerberos
02-28-2007, 11:34 AM
Even the ugliest cheerleader on any other team is better looking than the prettiest Chief cheerleader. Where do they find those chicks?

Most things that look like that have to be hunted NOT found.

!

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 11:39 AM

When you have ugly women on the committee to pick girls they do it on dance ability only, not looks.

FAX
02-28-2007, 11:40 AM
It's difficult to see a role on planet Earth for Jason Whitlock.

FAX

Kerberos
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
It's difficult to see a role on planet Earth for Jason Whitlock.

FAX

But... It's not difficult to see a ROLL on Jason Fatlock

!

jspchief
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
We have 3 QBs and only 2 of them appear to fit.

I'm not exactly pleased with re-signing Huard, but if that's the route we're going we need to get rid of Green. We don't need the QB controversy that is sure to accompany keeping both of these guys.

The only real upside I see to keeping Huard is we have a vet guy that doesn't have a big enough ego to get butthurt if we decide to put Croyle in.

ChiefsCountry
02-28-2007, 11:50 AM
The only real upside I see to keeping Huard is we have a vet guy that doesn't have a big enough ego to get butthurt if we decide to put Croyle in.

Huard knows he is a backup QB, that is all he is.

jspchief
02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Huard knows he is a backup QB, that is all he is.Exactly my point. He's spent his entire career getting benched. Green is accomplished enough now to be offended by it, not to mention the notion of a $9 mil backup.

My hope is this is all about laying the groundwork for getting Croyle on the field. If we've decided to move beyond Green, we need to find out as soon as possible what Croyle is or is not. Huard gives us the safety net of a failed Croyle experiment not being a total disaster.

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
People are kicking Trent to the curb way too fast.

InChiefsHeaven
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM

I agreed with that sentiment after his first year. But things have changed. He's 37, and at the twilight of his career. It would almost be a mercy killing to cut him, because I have a feeling he won't go out a winner if he stays in KC next season any way. I love the guy to death, but I hope he retires.

Halfcan
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Maybe the Fins will give us a 2nd and 3rd for him?

KurtCobain
02-28-2007, 02:01 PM

It has to happen imo. Green and Huard on the roster this year just won't work. We can really use the cash.

CupidStunt
02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Maybe the Fins will give us a 2nd and 3rd for him?

Or a sixth and a seventh.

ChiefaRoo
02-28-2007, 03:15 PM
As has been said by some of you guys previously this team is out of sync. It has a bad mix of old and young players. I think the best strategy for KC is to trade or cut older players like Green and use the cash and openings to gamble on the younger guys. If I was in charge of KC's draft strategy I would concentrate on getting highly productive O and D lineman in the first three rounds and then go after a LB and DB. In other words I'd ignore the skill positions on the O side of the ball completely in the draft and hand the ball to LJ and have Huard wing it to the guys we have.

What I don't understand is why Tony G re-signed with KC. Of course he likes it in KC but this team is beyond stop gap fixes for a two year SB run and by the time it's going to be good again (assuming the team has drafted well) TG is going to be in his late 30's. Maybe Tony can play that long but it's a risk for him and increases the odds that he won't ever play in the superbowl.