PDA

View Full Version : Hey GoChiefs, what are you doing next week?

JimNasium
02-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Might I suggest.....

Online addict dies after "marathon" session (http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=internetNews&storyid=2007-02-28T085229Z_01_PEK267720_RTRUKOC_0_US-CHINA-INTERNET-ADDICTION.xml&src=rss&rpc=22)

BEIJING (Reuters) - An obese 26-year-old man in northeastern China died after a "marathon" online gaming session over the Lunar New Year holiday, state media said on Wednesday.

The 150-kg (330-lb) man from Jinzhou, in Liaoning province, collapsed on Saturday, the last day of the holiday, after spending "almost all" of the seven-day break playing online games, the China Daily said, citing his parents.

Xu Yan, a local teacher, said the "dull life" during the holiday prompted many people to turn to computer games for entertainment.

"There are only two options. TV or computer. What else can I do in the holiday as all markets, KTV and cafeterias are shut down?" the paper quoted Xu as saying.

China has seen an alarming rise in the number of teenage and young adult Internet addicts in recent years, despite attempts to restrict minors from cybercafes and limit online game playing times.

About 2.6 million -- or 13 percent -- of China's 20 million Internet users under 18 are classed as addicts, state media have reported.

Eleazar
02-28-2007, 11:21 AM
I wonder if it was Warcraft. There has been more than one person in the far east who died after playing a marathon session.

How do these people die, though? Exhaustion? Do they not even eat when they are playing? Some of them play and play until they have a psychotic episode or something, but that doesn't usually entail suicide. I don't get it.

Phobia
02-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Do they not even eat when they are playing?
I'm pretty sure playing the game was secondary to eating in this particular case.

ck_IN
02-28-2007, 12:27 PM
<i>I wonder if it was Warcraft.</i>

When I read the headline of this I immediately thought of that South Park episode.