PDA

View Full Version : I guess this is why they make the big bucks...

mikeyis4dcats.
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Most gruesome sports injuries (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/scorecard/jimmys_blog/2007/02/most-gruesomebizarre-injuries.html#comments)

Halfcan
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
ouch

Rain Man
02-28-2007, 04:06 PM
McGahee's was one of the most gruesome I've seen, but I didn't see it live. I still remember exactly where I was when I saw McCallum's injury. I was on a business trip and had to walk around the room just to shake it off. Brutal, brutal, brutal.

seclark
02-28-2007, 04:09 PM
how's come that horse isn't on the list?
sec

pikesome
02-28-2007, 04:19 PM
I think I would have been happy not to have seen this list.

jiveturkey
02-28-2007, 04:26 PM
I had to stop after the knee and the elbow up top.

I'm going to go lay down now. Hold my calls.

KcMizzou
02-28-2007, 04:29 PM
The hockey one got me...

ugh.

Frosty
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
McGahee's was one of the most gruesome I've seen, but I didn't see it live. I still remember exactly where I was when I saw McCallum's injury. I was on a business trip and had to walk around the room just to shake it off. Brutal, brutal, brutal.

I saw both of them live (on TV), which is why I am not clicking that link. :shake:

Donger
02-28-2007, 04:34 PM
The notable incident occurred during a game on March 22, 1989 between the visiting St. Louis Blues and Malarchuk's Buffalo Sabres. Steve Tuttle of the Blues and Uwe Krupp of the Sabres collided at the mouth of the goal, and Tuttle's skate caught Malarchuk on the neck, slicing open his external carotid artery. With pools of blood collecting on the ice, Malarchuk somehow left the ice under his own power with the assistance of his team's trainer, Jim Pizzutelli. Many spectators were physically sickened by the sight with seven fainting and two suffering heart attacks while two teammates vomited on the ice [1] [2]. Local television cameras covering the game instantly cut away from the sight of Malarchuk.

Wow.

siberian khatru
02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I've seen most of those before, and I won't watch them again.

However, I DID watch the Theismann one again, simply because it's one of those "where were you when ...?" life moments.

I was standing in a bar in Columbia, MO, watching the game with a friend. We both yelled "OH MY GOD! HOLY SHIT!" at the same time.

What's always struck me about that was all the Giants players -- including LT -- instantly motioning to the Redskins' trainers to hurry up and get over there. And several of them kept putting their hands up to their helmets, like they couldn't believe what they saw, it was so awful.

Molitoth
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I remember the front page of the paper showing Napoleon Mcallum's knee the day after that game. That was sick!

I'll also always remember the kickboxer who broke his leg during a kick, then tried to stand on it and just fell over.

Steve Sewell
02-28-2007, 05:13 PM
The notable incident occurred during a game on March 22, 1989 between the visiting St. Louis Blues and Malarchuk's Buffalo Sabres. Steve Tuttle of the Blues and Uwe Krupp of the Sabres collided at the mouth of the goal, and Tuttle's skate caught Malarchuk on the neck, slicing open his external carotid artery. With pools of blood collecting on the ice, Malarchuk somehow left the ice under his own power with the assistance of his team's trainer, Jim Pizzutelli. Many spectators were physically sickened by the sight with seven fainting and two suffering heart attacks while two teammates vomited on the ice [1] [2]. Local television cameras covering the game instantly cut away from the sight of Malarchuk.

Wow.

So THAT's where they got the graphic for NHL '94! Never knew that...

JBucc
02-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Wow.I remember seeing that somewhere. Makes me think that girl skater who got kicked in the face by her partner was lucky to just have a cut up nose.

Donger
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
I remember seeing that somewhere. Makes me think that girl skater who got kicked in the face by her partner was lucky to just have a cut up nose.

It's linked on the SI site. The video, I mean. It's not that bad. Well, I suppose it is of you don't like seeing spurting blood.

The pictures are worse.

KcMizzou
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
It's linked on the SI site. The video, I mean. It's not that bad. Well, I suppose it is of you don't like seeing spurting blood.

The pictures are worse.To me what makes it bad is the severity of the injury. I mean, a broken leg is one thing... a slit throat is a whole different deal.

Donger
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
To me what makes it bad is the severity of the injury. I mean, a broken leg is one thing... a slit throat is a whole different deal.

I read that the crazy f*cker left the ice under his own power and that the team trainer (Vietnam vet) saved his life by pinching the vein with his fingers until doctors could sew it up.

He was playing again in four days.