PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europa – KC Chiefs

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Games begin April 14th The teams should start practicing down in Florida in a couple of weeks.

There are four teams to watch with Chief’s players on the roster. I am interested to see how Stallings, Jacobs, Hunt, Ross, and Reid play over there. I know a lot of you do not get too excited about NFL Europe, but I am always optimistic that a player might start to develop there and come back and help KC.

G Tre Stallings will play for Amsterdam Admirals.

QB Omar Jacobs will play for Berlin Thunder.
G Rob Hunt will play for Berlin Thunder (First draft pick taken).

RB Derrick Ross will play for Cologne Centurions.

LB Nick Reid will play for Frankfurt Galaxy.

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:22 PM
I looked at rosters to see if KC’s players would have any competition at their position. I did not really see much, so they probably will get lots of playing time.

Other QBs for Berlin Thunder besides Omar Jacobs -
QB Travis Lulay, Montana State. He is on Seattle’s roster.
QB Walter Washington, Temple. Not on an NFL roster

The only other running back I saw on the Centurions roster was A.J. Harris out of Northern Illinois. I’d like to see Derrick Ross get some work, but do not want him run down when he comes back.

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
NFL Europa
The countdown to the 2007 NFL Europa League season -- the 15th in league history -- has begun with the assignment and drafting of NFL allocated players that was conducted today.
More than 100 young prospects were assigned by the NFLEL office, while a further group of young NFL quarterbacks was drafted by the six NFL Europa head coaches. The assignment of kickers and punters during training camp in the Tampa Bay area early next month will enlarge the number of NFL allocated players to 150.
Nine NFL quarterbacks -- including college stars Drew Olson of the Baltimore Ravens and Omar Jacobs of the Kansas City Chiefs -- were directly allocated to NFL Europa clubs, along with nine free-agent passers. Included in the free-agent group was Cody Pickett, who was a seventh-round draft choice of the San Francisco 49ers in 2004 and went on to start two games for the team in 2005.
Olson will quarterback the Amsterdam Admirals during the 2007 NFL Europa season. He was one of college football’s most prolific passers during his time at UCLA, ranking second on the school’s all-time charts after throwing for 8,532 yards and 67 touchdowns. Free agents Corey Bramlet and Matt Bohnet complete the Admirals quarterback lineup heading into training camp.
Jacobs, who will be a member of the Berlin Thunder this season, was a Heisman Trophy contender during his three years at Bowling Green, where he threw for 6,938 yards, 71 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions. He was a fifth-round selection of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006 and has practice squad experience with the Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles.
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Travis Lulay and free agent Walter Washington will compete for playing time under center for the Thunder.
The defending World Bowl-champion Frankfurt Galaxy welcome back a fan favorite in J.T. O’Sullivan of the Chicago Bears, who led the club to a World Bowl berth in 2004. O’Sullivan has NFL experience with New Orleans, Green Bay, New England and Minnesota. During his last tenure in Europe he threw for 1,527 yards and 10 touchdowns en route to a 91.9 passer rating. He is joined in Frankfurt by strong-armed Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Bruce Eugene and free-agent Kevin Eakin, who threw for 1,299 yards and 11 touchdowns with the Galaxy in 2005.
Houston Texans 2006 practice squad member Quinton Porter will be out to make the starting quarterback’s job his own in Cologne, but will face competition from free agents Erik Meyer and Paul Pinegar. The Hamburg Sea Devils will welcome back a familiar face when Washington Redskins-allocated quarterback Casey Bramlet returns to the team he led in 2005, throwing for 1,463 yards and seven touchdowns. He will be joined by Mike McGann of the Indianapolis Colts and free agent Rod Rutherford, who was a record-setting passer at the University of Pittsburgh.
The Rhein Fire welcomes San Diego Chargers-allocated quarterback Brett Elliott to their team, along with a high-profile free-agent passer in Pickett. Free agent Brian Wrobel, who saw action as a backup for the Berlin Thunder in 2006, completes the group.
Two famous sons will occupy running-back positions in NFL Europa this spring. John David Washington of the St. Louis Rams (Hamburg) is the son of Academy Award-winning actor Denzel Washington, while Chicago Bears-allocated (Rhein) rusher Gerald Riggs Jr. is the son of former Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl running back Gerald Riggs.
Cologne’s ground attack will be led by a man who played in seven regular season games for the Kansas City Chiefs in 2006 in Derrick Ross, while Chris Barclay, who saw regular-season action for the Cleveland Browns, will suit up for the Berlin Thunder. Former Virginia Tech star and 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers practice squad member Cedric Humes will be in the backfield for Amsterdam.
A total of 32 NFL players heading to Europe were previously selected in the NFL Draft, including Denver Broncos tight end Teyo Johnson, who was a second-round choice of the Oakland Raiders in 2003. Johnson, who started in nine of his 30 appearances in the NFL, has caught 26 passes for 288 yards and three touchdowns. He will play for the Hamburg Sea Devils.
"The NFL teams have once again provided us with a pool of players loaded with talent," said NFLEL Director of Football Operations Mike Chan. "Each of these players is eager for the opportunity to play and compete for a championship in Europe. This is another clear example of the support and interest from NFL teams. "The pool of players include some that have seen extensive time in the NFL mixed with some exciting young players. The 2007 season is already shaping up to be another success. We expect these players to perform at their highest level for our coaches and our fans."
Guard Rob Hunt of the Kansas City Chiefs was the first overall pick in the NFL Allocated Player Draft after being chosen by the Berlin Thunder. Hunt was a fifth-round draft choice of the Indianapolis Colts in 2005 and has practice squad experience with the Denver Broncos. He played in NFL Europa in 2006 as a member of the Rhein Fire.
Hamburg used its first selection to take Tennessee Titans defensive end Nathaniel Adibi, who has practice squad experience with Miami and Jacksonville after being selected in the fifth round of the 2004 draft by Pittsburgh. Cologne took Dallas Cowboys linebacker John Saldi, while the Rhein Fire chose San Francisco 49ers receiver C.J. Brewer. Amsterdam selected Green Bay guard Adam Stenavich before Frankfurt closed out the first round by taking San Francisco 49ers safety Vickiel Vaughn, who was a seventh-round draft choice in 2006.
http://www.nfleurope.com/news/story/10017310

Ebolapox
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
so, is rob hunt any good?

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:38 PM
He was a 5th round draft pick for the Colts and was on the Denver roster for a while. He has put on some weight in the last couple of years. Hopefully that is muscle and that will help his game.

Ebolapox
02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
He was a 5th round draft pick for the Colts and was on the Denver roster for a while. He has put on some weight in the last couple of years. Hopefully that is muscle and that will help his game.

yeah, I read that part about him... I was asking due to the fact that he was the first pick in the 'nfl allocated player' draft--one would assume there's a reason a friggin' GUARD was taken first

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I thought the same thing. He plays center and guard. I guess that was what Berlin needed on their roster, so they drafted him.

milkman
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
yeah, I read that part about him... I was asking due to the fact that he was the first pick in the 'nfl allocated player' draft--one would assume there's a reason a friggin' GUARD was taken first

His dad is the coach?

Ebolapox
02-28-2007, 09:46 PM
His dad is the coach?

wouldn't shock me--unless he's all-world (pun intended), there's no way any guard is more valuable than even the most average qb

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:47 PM
I think the NFL Europe rosters are made up of 3 groups of players. The first group is made up International players. I think that is the first group that gets assigned to a team. The next group are assigned players. Ross, Jacobs, Stallings, and Reid were all assigned. The last group comes from the draft. That is why I assume that Berlin must have needed a guard/center, so they drafted Rob Hunt.

Ebolapox
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I think the NFL Europe rosters are made up of 3 groups of players. The first group is made up International players. I think that is the first group that gets assigned to a team. The next group are assigned players. Ross, Jacobs, Stallings, and Reid were all assigned. The last group comes from the draft. That is why I assume that Berlin must have needed a guard/center, so they drafted Rob Hunt.

that would explain it... otherwise, there's no reason on earth that a guard/center would be selected first overall in ANY draft

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 09:53 PM
I am looking forward to see how Omar Jacobs does as a QB and how Derrick Ross does as a RB. Derrick had an outstanding college career and he looked good running the ball in the last pre-season game.

I guess I am getting the shakes from having no football to watch.

DaneMcCloud
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
so, is rob hunt any good?

I've heard that Mike Hunt is better, so we'll see.

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Mike is only better if he is paged over a loud speaker.

Tribal Warfare
02-28-2007, 11:02 PM
I am looking forward to see how Omar Jacobs does as a QB and how Derrick Ross does as a RB. Derrick had an outstanding college career and he looked good running the ball in the last pre-season game.

Ross looked real good, and he was comparable to a Priest Holmes with a stronger leg drive

Vegas_Dave
02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
I am interested mainly to see how Reid performs... I think he could develop to b quite a player, kind of how Maslowski did...

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Some other interesting names on Euro rosters –
RB Quentin Griffin, Hamburg Sea Devils
WR Rashaun Woods, Hamburg Sea Devils, former 1st round draft pick
DE Zach Ville, Rhein Fire, KC and Missouri player
OL Jeremy Parquett, Hamburg Sea Devils ( STL RAMS) KC draft pick
DL Tim Sandidge, Hamburg Sea Devils ( STL RAMS) On KC’s roster last year.

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Ross looked real good, and he was comparable to a Priest Holmes with a stronger leg drive

I'd like to see Ross on a team in Europe where you can see what he can do without having his body taking a pounding. If they had another back or two he splits time with, it would be better.

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
NFL Europe has had some special teams players, some offensive linemen and some defensive linemen come back and do well in the NFL. Has there ever been a running back that played in Europe and contributed to an NFL team? Not talking about starting, just contributing as a back up. Maybe Ross could be the first.

Halfcan
02-28-2007, 11:32 PM
That list doesn't excite me much

SPchief
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Some other interesting names on Euro rosters –
RB Quentin Griffin, Hamburg Sea Devils

Que ball is going to NFLE? Wasn't he the next Barry Sanders?

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 11:38 PM
That list doesn't excite me much

Probably exciting isn’t the word for why I pay attention to the players in NFL Europe.

I know the odds are stacked against any of them really helping a team, but every once in a while you get a Brian Waters that comes out of NFL Europe and that is what keeps me interested.

SPchief
02-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Que ball is going to NFLE? Wasn't he the next Barry Sanders?

Here is what I was thinking of.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98685

Wilson8
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
It is kind of like the 7th round pick in the draft. Usually not much to get excited about but then you get a player like Marques Colston or Jarrad Page with your 7th pick. I just like to see players get one more chance to show they can play in the NFL.