PDA

View Full Version : Bannister and Soria pitched well.

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2007, 01:04 AM
From kcroyals.com

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Brian Bannister wanted to make a good first impression. He certainly did.

Bannister, who was acquired by the Royals in a December trade with the Mets, threw 14 strikes in 17 pitches, working two scoreless innings against the Angels in the Spring Training opener. He gave up one single, struck out one and walked none.

"That is the way I try to pitch," Bannister said. "You read in every article that I'm no more than a fourth or fifth starter, that I don't have good stuff. I enjoy that because I just go out there and try to get the job done.

"It is not flashy. I make the hitters think. I hit my spots. I'm aggressive. I try to get outs early in the count and get deep into the game. Obviously, it is not the Nolan Ryan approach."

Or the approach of his father, Floyd, who pitched 15 seasons in the Majors including two years for the Royals?

"It is not 95 [miles per hour] from the left side," Brian said with a laugh.

Brian takes more the Greg Maddux approach?

"That is what kind of pitcher I am," Bannister said. "That is what I want to come out and do, throw that first-pitch strike and get ahead. I know hitters are trying to track."

Bannister had flu-like symptoms earlier in the week.

"I've been cutting back on my running the last couple of days to make sure I get healthy," Bannister said. "It worked out because I did feel good today. I've been pretty run down the last couple of days."

Soria shines: Joakim Soria, a Rule 5 Draft pick from the Padres, pitched two hitless innings after Bannister departed.

"I'm happy," Soria said. "I waited all my life for this time, to be here in the Major Leagues. It is Spring Training, but it is the same. It is the Major Leagues. I try to do good."

Soria threw a slow breaking ball past Shea Hillenbrand for a called third strike in the fourth.

Fish
03-02-2007, 01:19 AM
I'm excited to see a Royals season start... more so than I can remember.....

Go Royals....

chiefqueen
03-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Who committed the 3 errors?

beavis
03-02-2007, 06:12 AM
Who committed the 3 errors?
Berroa had at least one of them.

Jordan
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Berroa had at least one of them.

I saw that too.

He's living on borrowed time right now.

I guess that "high intensity offseason workout schedule" didn't help much. He's garbage!

alnorth
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
If Berroa would hit worth a damn at all, I wouldnt mind the defense. As it is, he brings almost nothing to the table.

Pitt Gorilla
03-02-2007, 03:15 PM
I saw that too.

He's living on borrowed time right now.

I guess that "high intensity offseason workout schedule" didn't help much. He's garbage!It's spring training. I'd prefer he got the errors out off the way now, rather than later.

BTW,
Meche pitched two scoreless innings today.

Coach
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Fat-ass Elvis Hernandez got shelled today. Pitched one inning and gave up 6 earned runs on 6 hits including a HR.

PinkFloyd
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
If Berroa would hit worth a damn at all, I wouldnt mind the defense. As it is, he brings almost nothing to the table.

Watch the turd go out and win a gold glove this season and bat .195....

Reaper16
03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Fat-ass Elvis Hernandez got shelled today. Pitched one inning and gave up 6 earned runs on 6 hits including a HR.
ROFL

CoMoChief
03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
ROFL
87mph fastballs will do that to you.

teedubya
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Where is Hernandez playing now? His ass got cut from Royals, right?

Also, I didnt know that Brian was Floyd's son... I have his autograph on a ball around here somewhere with other Royals nobodies from the late 80's

Coach
03-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Where is Hernandez playing now? His ass got cut from Royals, right?

Boston Red Sox. Yep, they released him this off-season before spring training.