PDA

View Full Version : Good win Bears

|Zach|
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Moving into the MVC Semi's...

3 wins over WSU.

Wild game in the 2nd half. Fun to watch. They can seal a bid with another win.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070303/capt.motg10803030319.mvc_wichita_state_missouri_state_basketball_motg108.jpg?x=233&y=345&sig=p0gCUnzmoYQ0r3nT9F5QRw--

JimNasium
03-02-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm still convinced that they have to win it all to get into the dance.

Stinger
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Moving into the MVC Semi's...

3 wins over WSU.

Wild game in the 2nd half. Fun to watch. They can seal a bid with another win.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070303/capt.motg10803030319.mvc_wichita_state_missouri_state_basketball_motg108.jpg?x=233&y=345&sig=p0gCUnzmoYQ0r3nT9F5QRw--

You relize ths is MSU....the selection committee usally screws them over so they better win the whole thing.

JimNasium
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
You relize ths is MSU....the selectin committee usally screws them over so they better win the whole thing.
There's no doubt. The Valley gets 2 teams in this year at most.

|Zach|
03-02-2007, 10:54 PM
They didn't beat a team like Wisconsin last year.

JimNasium
03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
They didn't beat a team like Wisconsin last year.
That's true. Fool me twice....damn team should have taken care of business when they had the chance. If they don't get in it's time for the midget to go away.

|Zach|
03-02-2007, 10:58 PM
That's true. Fool me twice....damn team should have taken care of business when they had the chance. If they don't get in it's time for the midget to go away.
No doubt, I just think a spot in the MVC final absolutely locks it up.

HemiEd
03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
So the Shocks went from being ranked in the top 10, to not even making the NIT.

That has to be one of the biggest collapses ever in the modern NCAA era.

chiefsfan987
03-02-2007, 11:19 PM

I disagree. It'll get 3 in and Missouri State will be one of them. The only thing that could possibly throw a wrench in their plans is if Bradley wins the MVC tournament IMO.

Lzen
03-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Anybody seen Chiefaroo lately? :)

HemiEd
03-02-2007, 11:57 PM

I am here, bring it on. The Shockers suck, but I still have both KState and KU to root for.

BigRedChief
03-03-2007, 12:27 AM
They are in no matter what happens from this point on.
MVC will get 3 teams in.

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Beat Creighton tommorrow and hopefully we can kill the Crime Dawgs on CBS on Sunday!

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 01:26 AM

Right here biatches. Eventhough the bunker has taken several hits I am still alive. I have tied Skip and his favorite bonin' goat to the top of the bunker. They are now my human shields so if you lob ordinance my way you'll take them out too.

Seriously, not a very fun season but now I get to sit back and see what kind of recruits Turg and Spinelli are bringing in. They're big we'll see if they can play.

For those of you who want to characterize WSU's season as a collapse go ahead but for those of you who really want to know what happened I'll explain. The early wins against LSU and Syracuse were due to good coaching and preparation. When teams got film on WSU they realized they could pound the post and they were right. WSU had no true Center. Amazing the difference one player can make.

The Valley will get three in unless Northern Iowa wins the tourney then it could be four. Mo State deserves to be in they're playing well.

1) SIU
2) Creighton
3) Mo State

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 04:39 PM
what? no one wants to take a shot at the shocks at my expense? :)

I mean it if you come for me I'm going to kill skip

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
what? no one wants to take a shot at the shocks at my expense? :)

I mean it if you come for me I'm going to kill skip
I won't take a shot at you but will say that unless Missouri State beats Creighton they are NIT bound. I can't for the life of me see it any other way based on what happened last year to this team.

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
I won't take a shot at you but will say that unless Missouri State beats Creighton they are NIT bound. I can't for the life of me see it any other way based on what happened last year to this team.

I disagree but we'll see.

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
A stumble Turgeon can fix

ST. LOUIS - You might be worried about Wichita State's basketball program, about how the Shockers lost 14 of their last 22 games this season and went down 67-64 to Missouri State on Friday night in the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament.

Mark Turgeon will fix this thing.

Bet on it. Bet a lot.

He might have taken the first step, in fact, in Friday night's loss. His team played with intensity and gumption and made the 3,000-or-so Shocker fans proud to be wearing their yellow and black.

The Shockers were, as they have been for much of the season, outmanned inside the paint. That was the difference. They chugged and they chugged, but they can't quite get up a hill right now, let alone a mountain, when it comes to frontline battles.

That doesn't mean WSU didn't try. And that's a testament to Turgeon, who has known for weeks what he has been up against but has refused to spell it out publicly, taking the high road. It is, after all, his job not only to coach this team but to recruit the players and he has fallen short in the latter for a couple of years.

The loss of Paul Miller was huge, much bigger than anyone anticipated. With Miller, the inside was taken care of and the outside opened up.

WSU's three inside players -- Kyle Wilson, Ryan Martin and Phil Thomasson -- combined to make 2 of 15 shots and scored nine points Friday night. Missouri State's three inside players -- Nathan Bilyeu, Drew Richards and Deven Mitchell -- were 13 of 28 and scored 33 points.

It's a miracle the Shockers were in the game, let alone almost winning.

Turgeon knows recruiting is the lifeblood of a program and you can bet there will be some hosses coming. It might take them time to develop, but the Shockers aren't going to be pushed around next season.

Everybody has an opinion about why this happened, about how a team could start 9-0, rise to No. 8 in the country and then collapse. Most opinions come with an ounce of truth, but the bottom line is that the Shockers didn't have the size and strength necessary to compete consistently with bigger and more physical teams.

At times lately, the Shockers haven't even competed. At least not the way they used to when times were good.

"I think we came out tonight so focused and so excited and ready to go," WSU senior forward Kyle Wilson said. "Even before the game started, we had more emotion that we've had the last month or so. I think it was a combination of everything. The goal for this team at the beginning of the year was to try and get to the NCAA Tournament and this was our last chance."

It's one thing to think that. It's another to play like it. And the Shockers played as well as they've played in a while. It's just too bad it wasn't quite good enough because it's difficult to think of a group more deserving of something good to happen to them.

When Matt Braeuer's last-second three-point try bounced hard off the rim, he squatted for a while before a WSU trainer walked across the court to get him.

Braeuer played with amazing heart, a gallant 31-minute effort that had a great start, a great middle and a miserable final scene. It wasn't fair that his shot, similar to the huge three-pointer he made to win a game against Creighton at Koch Arena last season, didn't go in.

"I thought it was long as soon as I shot it," Braeuer said.

But still he hoped. And when the basketball bounced away, he was the most devastated player on the floor.

After a few minutes of solitude in the locker room, Braeuer was able to get some perspective and pride for a tough performance.

"We weren't worrying about anything tonight, we were just having fun," he said. "I think we had been putting some pressure on ourselves, I don't know. Our theme the whole week was to relax and have fun. I'm sure this was a fun game to watch. It was a fun game to play in until the very end."

History will probably not be kind to this season. Barring an unexpected NIT bid and success in that, it's hard to say much positive about a team that follows up a Sweet 16 season and 27 victories with a 17-14 record.

The season will be long discussed for its mystery. It was filled with early hope and anticipation followed by a whole bunch of head scratching.

"Don't point a finger at (Wichita State)," Missouri State coach Barry Hinson said. "Point a finger at nine other teams in this league that are pretty doggone good."

Turgeon has too much fight, too much pride, to let this season linger. And he's too good of a coach.

"We'll be back," Turgeon promised. "We'll be back."

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Bears down at half, hopefully they can pull something out here in the second half.

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Bears down at half, hopefully they can pull something out here in the second half.
Creighton isn't a better team but Altman is a much, much superior coach. I wish the midget would exit stage left.

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Creighton isn't a better team but Altman is a much, much superior coach. I wish the midget would exit stage left.

That makes two of us, and lot others feel the same way.

Archie Bunker
03-03-2007, 05:06 PM

Yep, me too.

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 05:10 PM
The guy is a good recruiter but with the name change and the new arena coming online it's time to hire someone on the level of Altman or Turgeon. The midget still strikes me as a high school coach.

alanm
03-03-2007, 05:16 PM
He is pretty short ain't he. Creighton thanks Kansas St. every March for firing Altman. :)

Steve Sewell
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
The guy is a good recruiter but with the name change and the new arena coming online it's time to hire someone on the level of Altman or Turgeon. The midget still strikes me as a high school coach.

He also fancies himself as a sharp dresser. Love the midget! (I went to Creighton)

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 05:22 PM
He also fancies himself as a sharp dresser. Love the midget! (I went to Creighton)
:cuss:

Steve Sewell
03-03-2007, 05:27 PM
:cuss:

Am I a double whammy for you? Creighton/Donkey fan?

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Nah, I just like to use :cuss:

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 05:40 PM

No only half, I like Creighton not much hatred for the Blue Jays. I save that for SIU and Wichita St.

Steve Sewell
03-03-2007, 05:53 PM
No only half, I like Creighton not much hatred for the Blue Jays. I save that for SIU and Wichita St.

Well I'm a Rockies fan too, and we constantly are in a battle for the worst team in baseball with your Royals.

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Altman does it again.

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Altman does it again.
He's a genious (CPS).

StcChief
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Go DAWGS

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200703030528

The semifinals drew the first sellout in Missouri Valley tournament history and paid attendance of 22,612 also was a record for the Scottrade Center, reflecting the growth of the mid-major conference which was ranked sixth in the latest RPI.

alanm
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Well I'm a Rockies fan too, and we constantly are in a battle for the worst team in baseball with your Royals.
My GF is a die hard Bronco's, Rockies and Nuggets fan. I'm a Chiefs and Royals fan. Despite that I still love her. Go figure. :shrug:

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 10:59 PM

I can understand hating SIU. I hate linebacker ball too. How can you not like WSU and our cuddly KU bred, now Shocker raised coach and team? I think you need to re-evaluate and start hating on Creighton. I mean it's Nebraska for gods sake ;)

ChiefsCountry
03-03-2007, 11:04 PM
I can understand hating SIU. I hate linebacker ball too. How can you not like WSU and our cuddly KU bred, now Shocker raised coach and team? I think you need to re-evaluate and start hating on Creighton. I mean it's Nebraska for gods sake ;)

Nope cant stand the Shockers, baseball is part of the reason as well.

Skip Towne
03-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Skip Towne
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Right here biatches. Eventhough the bunker has taken several hits I am still alive. I have tied Skip and his favorite bonin' goat to the top of the bunker. They are now my human shields so if you lob ordinance my way you'll take them out too.

Seriously, not a very fun season but now I get to sit back and see what kind of recruits Turg and Spinelli are bringing in. They're big we'll see if they can play.

For those of you who want to characterize WSU's season as a collapse go ahead but for those of you who really want to know what happened I'll explain. The early wins against LSU and Syracuse were due to good coaching and preparation. When teams got film on WSU they realized they could pound the post and they were right. WSU had no true Center. Amazing the difference one player can make.

The Valley will get three in unless Northern Iowa wins the tourney then it could be four. Mo State deserves to be in they're playing well.

1) SIU
2) Creighton
3) Mo State
Hahahahahahahahaha. What a loser. We'll see you chumps again in about 20 years. That's been the cycle.

Skip Towne
03-03-2007, 11:26 PM
That guy looks more like an accountant than a coach. I was shocked to learn he was the head coach.

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Alert!! Alert!! Skip has escaped from his chain on the roof of the bunker. Rest assured he will be recaptured and returned to his shackles where he will be used as a human shield. If he lives I will be selling tickets and marketing him as "Sideshow skip and his magic bonin' goat"

Skip Towne
03-03-2007, 11:40 PM
Alert!! Alert!! Skip has escaped from his chain on the roof of the bunker. Rest assured he will be recaptured and returned to his shackles where he will be used as a human shield. If he lives I will be selling tickets and marketing him as "Sideshow skip and his magic bonin' goat"
Your attempts at humor are mlldly amusing but shouldn't you be hiding under your bed? I mean after the gigantic fool you have made of yourself? Shox my ass.

ChiefaRoo
03-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Your attempts at humor are mlldly amusing but shouldn't you be hiding under your bed? I mean after the gigantic fool you have made of yourself? Shox my ass.

No.

JimNasium
03-12-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm not one of those guys that likes to say "I told you so", but I told you so.

ChiefaRoo
03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
you were right. Congrats you win a case of imported nothing. Send me the $45 shipping/handling fee and I'll get it right out to you. :)

JimNasium
03-12-2007, 06:40 AM
you were right. Congrats you win a case of imported nothing. Send me the $45 shipping/handling fee and I'll get it right out to you. :)
I wish I was wrong. I hope the midget gets the axe.

ChiefaRoo
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
I was rooting for Mo. State. Disappointing only two valley teams went.

BigRedChief
03-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm not one of those guys that likes to say "I told you so", but I told you so.
Welllll the mid majors got screwed. Only 6 in? They has 3 in the sweet sixteen and 1 in the final four last year.

They still they get no respect. Duke a #6 seed? Arkansas and Stanford are in? WTF?

alanm
03-12-2007, 07:23 AM
Welllll the mid majors got screwed. Only 6 in? They has 3 in the sweet sixteen and 1 in the final four last year.

They still they get no respect. Duke a #6 seed? Arkansas and Stanford are in? WTF?
It's a f*cking shame that Mo St. gets hosed again. :shake: I don't know what the Mo Valley has to do to get any more respect. Maybe send both Creighton and So. Illinois to the elite Eight. I dunno. :shake:

ChiefaRoo
03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
The Valley just doesn't get the love when WSU doesn't play well. I'm a complete homer but there is something about WSU , CU and SIU playing high level ball that gets that 4th team in.

duncan_idaho
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM

There are a lot more than six mid-majors in. There were only six AT-LARGE bids handed out. Big difference.

As for the selection... Arkansas and Purdue are questionable... but there were a lot of teams ahead of SMS in the pecking order (Drexel, Syracuse, Kansas State) that have better cases.

(For the record, since I know I'm an MVC "hater"... I would have been on board with the Bears had they knocked off Creighton in the MVC tourney or been able to beat Creighton or SIU at home during the regular season. Or if they hadn't lost to Evansville)

JimNasium
03-12-2007, 02:26 PM
(For the record, since I know I'm an MVC "hater"... I would have been on board with the Bears had they knocked off Creighton in the MVC tourney or been able to beat Creighton or SIU at home during the regular season. Or if they hadn't lost to Evansville)
Getting smoked by Winthrop on their home court didn't help their case either.

Archie Bunker
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Do you guys think Barry gets fired if SDSU rolls the Bears at home? I think its time for a change. Barry just can't get them over the hump.

I also am surprised the womens coach hasn't been fired yet. When I was at MSU womens B-ball was king and now its at the bottom of the MVC.

Skip Towne
03-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Do you guys think Barry gets fired if SDSU rolls the Bears at home? I think its time for a change. Barry just can't get them over the hump.

I also am surprised the womens coach hasn't been fired yet. When I was at MSU womens B-ball was king and now its at the bottom of the MVC.
I'd root for them if they hired Sherri Coale. I like to look at her.