PDA

View Full Version : I've been huffing paint for 2 days.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 02:10 AM
So my 3 year old daughter has this Grand Prix race at church tomorrow. It's identical to the scouts' pinewood derby and we're making her car "together". Heh.

I've probably put 30 hours into this crazy thing. I wish I could send somebody a bill. I'm so ultra-competitive that if it doesn't win I'll be pretty disappointed because I researched all the tricks and secrets then put my own spin on the design. I'm up putting the final coats of paint on tonight and we'll see how she runs at 10:00 AM.

I know you guys are really excited about this amazing event in my life. I'll post pictures of our winner tomorrow. It's pink at her request.

I've trained her to say "You just got beat by a girl."

Hopefully a lot of kids will be hearing that in the morning.

Crashride
03-03-2007, 02:12 AM
You will dominate much like scanlon

luv
03-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Three years old? I used to teach three year olds in Sunday school. I was lucky to get them not to color on the table, let alone build a car to race!

Phobia
03-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Well, she'll be 4 in June and she's brilliant so she kinda helps. I let her sand and spray a little paint. Plus she picked the color. But she wants to roll it around on the floor and we're not doing that until we collect the winning purse and drink the milk tomorrow.

03-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Three years old? I used to teach three year olds in Sunday school. I was lucky to get them not to color on the table, let alone build a car to race!
Something tells me that this is really his race.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 02:18 AM
Something tells me that this is really his race.
I would NEVER paint a car pink. Heh.

03-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Sure you wouldn't. Sure you wouldn't. :hmmm:

luv
03-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Well, she'll be 4 in June and she's brilliant so she kinda helps. I let her sand and spray a little paint. Plus she picked the color. But she wants to roll it around on the floor and we're not doing that until we collect the winning purse and drink the milk tomorrow.
Like mother, like daughter.

KcMizzou
03-03-2007, 02:25 AM
I would NEVER paint a car pink. Heh.Apricot?

luv
03-03-2007, 02:26 AM
Apricot?
That would make him a marketing genious.

el borracho
03-03-2007, 02:29 AM
http://www.manoverboard.net/archives/denise2/denisei.jpg

el borracho
03-03-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.worldwide-bunnylinks.de/babies_car_outside_day32.jpg

Phobia
03-03-2007, 02:41 AM
You people have apparently been huffing paint as well.

03-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Just el.

luv
03-03-2007, 02:43 AM
Sugar rush.

Jenson71
03-03-2007, 02:45 AM
Sand the wheels and powder the axles.

03-03-2007, 02:46 AM
If they don't spin for a minimum of 10 seconds you didn't do a good enough job.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm all over that.

Jenson71
03-03-2007, 02:52 AM
I'm all over that.

I won the Pinewood Derby championship for the SE district of South Dakota my last year eligible for the event. It went undefeated. That was a lot of fun. Every day after school I'd go down to the basement and sand that thing.

Good luck.

Smed1065
03-03-2007, 05:32 AM
Good luck, I wish "you' the best but hope your daughter wins.

Kerberos
03-03-2007, 06:42 AM

Mauve is more your color. :thumb:

BTW: Good Luck

Can't wait to see the pics of the winning car .... Oh and your car too.

J/K

:)

stevieray
03-03-2007, 07:39 AM
final coats of paint..?

that's extra weight...

it's gonna be all your fault.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 08:36 AM
final coats of paint..?

that's extra weight...

it's gonna be all your fault.

Yes it is. I needed it. Now I'm at 5 oz on the nose. I needed to pick up an extra .02 of an ounce and did it with paint.

Iowanian
03-03-2007, 08:44 AM
I remember my first pinewood derby a shade less than fondly.

My parents always interpreted rules pretty strictly and assumed it was "my project" with my dad's oversight.

I spent several nights whittling with a pocket knife and sanding the best a 2nd grader could sand with a sheet of sand paper. I drilled the holes in the underside with my dad's supervision and he helped me melt some lead to pour into them to make weight. I drove the nails/axels in myself.

The paint job was done by hand, with a shaky black stripe up the kinda-center from front to back and a numbers on the side.

When we walked up to the table to turn it in, we were both pretty horrified to see what the other dad's had constructed in comparison.

I'd like to say that day had a Disney ending and "ocho" won, but it didn't.

It made it to the bottom, but after an embarrasing defeat.

So Here's to you, Mr Pinewood Derby Dad. May Jon Benet run like the wind today, and crush a poor kid's meager project.

Now in HS, our shop club competed in CO2 powered cars...and retribution was unmerciful....we dominated, and one year, my brother and I had the 2 fastes balsa wood CO2 cars in the state, maybe nation if we'd had autocad to do our drawings for nationals....where Pinewood derby dad outclassed us again.

Chief Henry
03-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Here's to you "Mr. Awana" Pinewood Derby Dad...

MOhillbilly
03-03-2007, 09:58 AM
about ten years ago i was in jail and before we went to court everyone started talking about what they got busted for(ofcourse mine was a case of mistaken ID) when it got to the two kids w/ blue paint on there faces it was pretty clear theyd been sucking on a paint can all night. retards went to court like that.

:)

cdcox
03-03-2007, 10:08 AM
My dad and I did the pinewood derby. We had a sharp looking car, but it wasn't competitive.

The next year our cub scout toop raced these rubberband-driven propeller rockets that slid along what looked like a clothes line. I sanded that thing for hours. The tricks here were to lubricate the guides that ran along the clothes line, to soak the rubberbands in glycerol, and to put graphite on the plastic cap that the propeller turns in. We were competetive all day and made it to the final heat. We'd gone easy on the number of turns on the rubberband in fear of crushing the rocket -- it was egg-shell thin. So we added another 25 cranks on the propeller for the final heat. I won going away. I got my name in the news paper. It was on that day that I knew I was destined for greatness.

acesn8s
03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Well, she'll be 4 in June and she's brilliant so she kinda helps. I let her sand and spray a little paint. Plus she picked the color. But she wants to roll it around on the floor and we're not doing that until we collect the winning purse and drink the milk tomorrow.The future of NASCAR!!!

ChiefFripp
03-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Ok, you're building the car FOR her? Just remember you did this when she's still living under your roof at 37 with 5 kids from 3 different boyfriends.

acesn8s
03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Ok, you're building the car FOR her? Just remember you did this when she's still living under your roof at 37 with 5 kids from 3 different boyfriends.Yep definitely the future of NASCAR.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Ok, you're building the car FOR her? Just remember you did this when she's still living under your roof at 37 with 5 kids from 3 different boyfriends.

Well, I turned her loose with the jigsaw and dremel but she cut off her arm and sanded her eyeball out. She's 3. Certainly she'll use the power tools when she's older.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
FWIW, she took second place overall by .036 and won a trophy for some creativity award. Pics later.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay, here's a couple pics. First an arial of the finely tuned piece of lead and wood itself. Immaculate - no?

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Here's picture of Dad and kid clutching just a small portion of the day's winnings. I know I look thrilled to be there.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Here's a picture of the car during her 2.875 slaughter of the "competition". Best run of the day.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:14 PM
And finally a shot of the kiddo standing next to father's handsome leg. Does anybody remember the shots of her next to my hand nearly 4 years ago? Can you believe she's gotten so big?

el borracho
03-03-2007, 06:15 PM
It took you two days to paint that thing? It's miniscule.

Really cute kid, btw, any idea who the father is?

keg in kc
03-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Introducing your daughter to fast cars at 3?

You're a brave man, Kloster.

A brave man, indeed.

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:18 PM
It took you two days to paint that thing? It's miniscule.

I had to add .2 ounces to it and had run out of places in which to hollow and melt lead. I'll bet it had 30 coats of paint on it. Heh.

Really cute kid, btw, any idea who the father is?
Not a clue. But I've been claiming her for 4 years. Nobody believes it. The closest I've gotten to paternity proof is she's in the 3% category for stature and the 50% for head size, so we're thinking she's mine.

Fairplay
03-03-2007, 06:23 PM
I had pictured an engineless car made out of wood going down a hill with her driving it.

I didn't know it would be the real little ones.

Congrats on the win.

JimNasium
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Insert obligatory pink socks joke here.

Silock
03-03-2007, 06:28 PM
That explains why the quality of your posts have gone up in the past 2 days, Phobia!

;)

Phobia
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
There is little doubt.

01-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Pinewood derby rules suck.

Hammock Parties
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
A Grand Prix race at church?

Are you shitting me?

Apparently nothing is sacred.

bowener
01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I won the Pinewood Derby championship for the SE district of South Dakota my last year eligible for the event. It went undefeated. That was a lot of fun. Every day after school I'd go down to the basement and sand that thing.

Good luck.

Funny I used to go down to the basement and sand my wood everyday after school too. Nobody gave me a prize for it though.

01-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Somebody explain to me why a pre cut car can't be used. Some of us don't have access to the tools needed to cut a car correctly. A block of wood is a block of wood.

cdcox
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Somebody explain to me why a pre cut car can't be used. Some of us don't have access to the tools needed to cut a car correctly. A block of wood is a block of wood.

Then man up and build your own tools.

DeezNutz
01-14-2011, 11:57 PM

I agree that a block of wood is a block of wood.

Unfortunately, this changes when one is professionally cut into a form of a car, while one is cut by middle-aged douchebags (not unlike myself, when I reach this advanced age :evil:) into a form that they then have to explain to others is a "car."

01-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Then man up and build your own tools.It's pretty silly that you are expected to get your own tools to properly cut a pinewood car. It's bad enough that I have to build the thing in the first place. I've already told him he is on his own next year. I'm not doing this anymore.

I chose to just get a pinewood kit at the local hobby shop. Now I am finding out that

a. the rod axles are illegal. Not a problem. I can pull that off and put in the nail axle.
b. evidently having fenders over the wheels is a no-no. Why, if anything it slows the car down because of the extra drag.
c. its pre-cut. As I said earlier, its a block of wood. Why does it matter?

They didn't provide any rules to us at all so how could I have known all this?

Extra Point
01-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Round the corners, sand it smooth, make it roll, and call it "Twinkie." A kid did this for Cub Scouts one year, came in third or fourth in the pack, ahead of all the dads who did all the work for their kids.

01-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Round the corners, sand it smooth, make it roll, and call it "Twinkie." A kid did this for Cub Scouts one year, came in third or fourth in the pack, ahead of all the dads who did all the work for their kids.I have no doubt that will be what he does next year. heh

Hell, for my oldest sons first pinewood derby about 7 years ago, gramps and I put together decent little car that ended up taking second place overall. I was actually embarrassed as I didn't expect it to do well at all and felt like I robbed another kid that actually did something. Who am I fooling, the dads probably do about 90% of all cars.

gblowfish
01-15-2011, 12:22 AM

Whatever in the world would make you think that?

JOhn
01-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I've trained her to say "You just got beat by a girl."

Hopefully a lot of kids will be hearing that in the morning.

:LOL::LOL::thumb:

Gracie Dean
01-15-2011, 12:41 AM
You really should get a FB phobs ;)

Phobia
01-15-2011, 02:03 AM
You really should get a FB phobs ;)

Got one right after this thread was created.

JOhn
01-15-2011, 02:05 AM
Got one right after this thread was created.

:LOL:LMAO

01-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Got one right after this thread was created.I really thought somebody would comment on the bump before now.

01-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Thankfully they allowed it. He won his first two races before I left and my wife took over.

Over-Head
01-15-2011, 04:11 PM
And finally a shot of the kiddo standing next to father's handsome leg. Does anybody remember the shots of her next to my hand nearly 4 years ago? Can you believe she's gotten so big?
I rememebr that shot Phobia, still think it's a really cool one too

My little guy turns 4 neext week, got a pic on the wall of my first day back to work after he was born, him on my shoulder....about a 3 foot diference in hight from then to now. Man they grow up fast

listopencil
01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
A Grand Prix race at church?

Are you shitting me?

Apparently nothing is sacred.

We (Cub Scouts) had them at church all the time, the church has its own track. My kids did church pinewood derby as well.

01-15-2011, 08:21 PM
This one was in a church as well. My son took third place in his group.

Bugeater
01-15-2011, 08:34 PM
I have no doubt that will be what he does next year. heh

Hell, for my oldest sons first pinewood derby about 7 years ago, gramps and I put together decent little car that ended up taking second place overall. I was actually embarrassed as I didn't expect it to do well at all and felt like I robbed another kid that actually did something. Who am I fooling, the dads probably do about 90% of all cars.
Of course they do. The one year my son did Cub Scouts, they had a cake decorating contest a month or so before the derby. It specified in the rules that the kids were supposed to do the majority of the work, so we let him do pretty much all of it himself. So then comes the day of the contest and I'm blown away. Some of the cakes were freaking works of art, no way the kids did much, if any of the work. My son was upset and said his cake sucked.

Naturally, I was irritated with this. So Pinewood Derby time comes and it's time for my revenge. I spent years and years building and customizing model cars, so I knew there was no way in hell any of those other geek dads had a chance against me. I built him a car with a dragster engine and a flame job, and hand painted the white letters and spokes on the wheels. It didn't run very well, but it did easily win Best in Show. If I knew you had this coming up I could've shipped it to you.

01-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Of course they do. The one year my son did Cub Scouts, they had a cake decorating contest a month or so before the derby. It specified in the rules that the kids were supposed to do the majority of the work, so we let him do pretty much all of it himself. So then comes the day of the contest and I'm blown away. Some of the cakes were freaking works of art, no way the kids did much, if any of the work. My son was upset and said his cake sucked.

Naturally, I was irritated with this. So Pinewood Derby time comes and it's time for my revenge. I spent years and years building and customizing model cars, so I knew there was no way in hell any of those other geek dads had a chance against me. I built him a car with a dragster engine and a flame job, and hand painted the white letters and spokes on the wheels. It didn't run very well, but it did easily win Best in Show. If I knew you had this coming up I could've shipped it to you.

He cared more about winning than looking good. Fortunately, he got both this year. He won all of his heats but fell to third overall on time. he was happy though and thats all that matters.

I'd like to see that care you did though.

Bugeater
01-15-2011, 08:47 PM
He cared more about winning than looking good. Fortunately, he got both this year. He won all of his heats but fell to third overall on time. he was happy though and thats all that matters.

I'd like to see that care you did though.
I didn't know enough about them to make a winning car so that wasn't an option. I went with what I knew because I WANTED TO WIN SOMETHING DAMNIT!

I'll dig it up sometime and take a pic of it.

01-14-2012, 05:35 PM
I didn't know enough about them to make a winning car so that wasn't an option. I went with what I knew because I WANTED TO WIN SOMETHING DAMNIT!

I'll dig it up sometime and take a pic of it.
Still waiting Bug.

Bugeater
01-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Shit, it's in the storage room somewhere. Are you really going to make me go in there?

01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Shit, it's in the storage room somewhere. Are you really going to make me go in there?

Hell yes.

LiveSteam
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Go get it & take a pic. It was kickass. I was there the night it won best show

stevieray
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM

i've still got mine (thanks, mom)

I'll do it you wil.

Bugeater
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Hmmm...went and looked around and I found the plaque we were awarded but not the car. I could post a pic of that.

It may be packed away with my model cars, or maybe it's in the kid's room somewhere. I can't imagine that I would've thrown it away.

01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Hmmm...went and looked around and I found the plaque we were awarded but not the car. I could post a pic of that.

It may be packed away with my model cars, or maybe it's in the kid's room somewhere. I can't imagine that I would've thrown it away.

Who gives a crap about the plaque?

cdcox
01-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Here's mine from 1970: