PDA

View Full Version : Jake Plummer Announces Retirement/Files Paperwork

Buck
03-04-2007, 01:55 AM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Buccaneers | Plummer announces retirement, files paperwork
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:42:25 -0800

Stephen Holder, of the St. Petersburg Times, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Jake Plummer has announced his retirement. Plummer filed his paperwork for retirement Friday, March 2, but the process is not complete. Plummer posted a message on his charitable foundation's website saying his decision was final. "I want to thank my family and close friends for their loyal support through these fun-filled, roller-coaster years. Secondly, I owe all of my greatest achievements in football to the men who stood by me as teammates and coaches. Football has been awesome to me in many ways. I leave the game with my health and happiness and look forward to the future. I've got many rivers to cross."

Hammock Parties
03-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Quitter.

SPchief
03-04-2007, 01:57 AM
So do the Broncos lose the draft pic they recieved?

Buck
03-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Oops. I mispelled Plumber.

Hammock Parties

They get jack shit unless he plays for the Bucaneers.

Buck
Yes.

Miles
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
This follows pretty much everything I was hearing on the local radio. Sounded like he didn't want to compete for a starting job with the Bucs and the Garcia signing probably didn't help much.

SPchief
They get jack shit unless he plays for the Bucaneers.

All I need to know. And since his contract was thru 2010, that means he can't play anymore right?

Hammock Parties
All I need to know. And since his contract was thru 2010, that means he can't play anymore right?

He can come back and the Bucs retain his rights.

Miles
03-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Yes.

Nice.

Buck
03-04-2007, 02:00 AM

Well, unless he plays for the Bucs. I wonder if they or the Broncos can recoup any money for breach of contract.

Miles
03-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Well, unless he plays for the Bucs. I wonder if they or the Broncos can recoup any money for breach of contract.

Guessing nothing if he didn't breach his contract since he retired.

Buck
03-04-2007, 02:04 AM

Remember Ricky Williams???

Miles
03-04-2007, 02:07 AM

Which involved drug use.

Bugeater
03-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I think the difference was that Ricky didn't retire, he got kicked out for smoking weed.

Buck
03-04-2007, 02:09 AM
I think the difference was that Ricky didn't retire, he got kicked out for smoking weed.

No, he had to pay back money because he retired, not because he failed drug tests.

Bob Dole
03-04-2007, 02:49 AM
He can come back and the Bucs retain his rights.

Only if they follow through with the trade.

SoCalBronco
03-04-2007, 03:01 AM

His agent, Peter Schaeffer, conceded that Denver can go after about 5 million worth of his bonus money (some have it at 7 million), in terms of the actual money and for the purposes of getting a cap credit as well.

This is unaffected by today's trade, as one of the terms of the TB-DEN trade today was that if he remained retired, Denver could go after his bonus money even though he is technically a Buccaneer now.

Miles
03-04-2007, 03:10 AM
His agent, Peter Schaeffer, conceded that Denver can go after about 5 million worth of his bonus money (some have it at 7 million), in terms of the actual money and for the purposes of getting a cap credit as well.

This is unaffected by today's trade, as one of the terms of the TB-DEN trade today was that if he remained retired, Denver could go after his bonus money even though he is technically a Buccaneer now.

Thanks, I was trying to remember why Williams would have owed Miami something and this is exactly the same thing. I thought it was different but it sounds like the same issue.

Rausch
03-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Quitter.

Pretty much how I feel.

He had the health and ability to play for years but consulted with Girbac and decided to keep his infamy to a minimum...

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Farewell, sweet prince.

Ultra Peanut
03-04-2007, 05:42 AM
They get jack shit unless he plays for the Bucaneers.AWESOME

kcfanXIII
03-04-2007, 05:55 AM
sad day for chief fans. other than that damn bootleg we usually had his number.

teedubya
03-04-2007, 06:26 AM
He played his last game against the Chiefs. We knocked his ass out of the league.

That owns.

jlscorpio
03-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Parting is such sweet sorrow, especially as the departed drives off in a Honda Element

FDS
03-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Remember the Jake commercial were he was in the zoo and told the kids that a Cardinal had the heart of a Lion. Now he has the ass of a Bronco.

PBJ FirstDownSamie PBJ

milkman
03-04-2007, 07:47 AM

That makes sense, since TB didn't pay him any bonus money.

Braincase
03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
He played his last game against the Chiefs. We knocked his ass out of the league.

That owns.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Skip Towne
03-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Anything that screws the Donkeys is A-OK with me.

boogblaster
03-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Donkey-screwing thats legal in Dungerville ....

jspchief
03-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I can just picture that rat-faced bastard Shanahan seething over getting screwed out of that draft pick.

Good stuff.

StcChief
03-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Justice to the cheatin' Donxs.

Jake the Fake Bones the Broncos.

His last start on TG at Arrowhead.

Frazod
03-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Beautiful. ROFL

manchambo
03-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I can just picture that rat-faced bastard Shanahan seething over getting screwed out of that draft pick.

Good stuff.

Yeah, I'm sure he hates it that they're going to get his bonus money back, and more cap room. Plummer's retirement probably=another nice free agent. That's a hell of a lot better than a 4th rounder.

jspchief
03-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he hates it that they're going to get his bonus money back, and more cap room. Plummer's retirement probably=another nice free agent. That's a hell of a lot better than a 4th rounder.For every example of Ricky Williams having to pay back his bonus upon retirement there is 100 examples of players retiring without paying back a dime.

Denver getting money out of Plummer, or even trying to, is far from a foregone conclusion. Besides, it's not like they're going to get it back in time to do anythign with it in FA this year. Best case scenario is arbitration and a judgement sometime long after it will do them any good.

kstater
03-04-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't even know why the Buc's wanted him in the first place.

ROYC75
03-04-2007, 10:25 AM

That owns.

No, He came in and played when Cutler took a big hit in one game.....

But the bottom line is , " We will never see another flame throwing both arm QB again in the NFL like Jake The Fake Plummer " ! :)

HerculesRockefell
03-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Anything that screws the Donkeys is A-OK with me.

Doesn't really screw with them since they're just going to get $5-7M in cap credits when they go after his bonus. Unless Jake walks into Dove Valley tomorrow and hands them the check, the credits will probably be next year since it will take some time to go after it. Add in that there's no longer his approx. $7.5M cap hit for '08 either, and Jake retiring is probably going to give Denver at least $12.5M in extra cap room next year. I'll take that anyday over a 4th round pick.

teedubya
03-04-2007, 12:09 PM
The Donkos trade him, he says '**** you' and retires... the Broncos say '**** you' back and try to get back bonus money.

What a shitty organization. Those actions should tell other players in the league how shitty that organization is ran.

Mile High Mania
03-04-2007, 12:14 PM
The Donkos trade him, he says '**** you' and retires... the Broncos say '**** you' back and try to get back bonus money.

What a shitty organization. Those actions should tell other players in the league how shitty that organization is ran.

uh huh

Skip Towne
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM

They cheat too. That is why they are called the Cheatin' Donx.

FringeNC
03-04-2007, 12:32 PM

If only we could be run as shitty as the Broncos.

Rausch
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
If only we could be run as shitty as the Broncos.

The missing part would teaching Jordan Black to take out a defensive lineman at all, let alone targeting his knees...

Spicy McHaggis
03-04-2007, 12:57 PM
If I'm Bruce Gradkowski I'm breathing a bit easier today.

glennst
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM

That owns.

He actually played in the season finale against San Francisco. His stats were 0/2 0 yards 1 int.