PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Hypothetical

HolyHandgernade
03-04-2007, 11:56 PM
I heard this topic come up on Rivals Radio, and I was curious what some of the board members thought, especially fans/alumni from Iowa or Arkansas.

Initially, the topic was about Memphis finding a better conference for themselves, and one of the hosts said they thought Arkansas and Iowa should actually be in the Big 12 for regional proximity, recruiting, and natural rivalries.

What do you think the possibility would be? Do you think either school could be enticed to leave the Big 10/SEC? Is that too many teams in one conference (Big 14?)?

As far as Iowa, it seems to me that their biggest rival would be Iowa St, rather than one of the Big 10 teams. In the Big 10, Iowa is almost an afterthought in the major sports outside of wrestling. In the Big 14 North they would be an immediate power in football and the upper portion of basketball.

Arkansas, on the other hand, would find the going a little tougher in the South division, but I think their recruiting prospects would go up, especially for their basketball program. It seems their best teams were when they recruited Texas more. Plus, it would dramatically cut down on their travel expenses.

Of course, the Big 12 may just not be interested in splitting their financial pie anymore either. Any thoughts?

-HH

Bugeater
03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
There was a thread about this a while back, but the suggestion in it was to boot Baylor from the Big XII and Arkansas taking their place.

jidar
03-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Arkansas going to the big 12 is a topic that is as old as the hills. It might happen in our lifetimes but it's not the sort of thing you should hold your breath for. Might be 5 years, might be 10, might never happen.

big nasty kcnut
03-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I rather have colorado state and get rid of colorado and get iowa and remove iowa state.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
If they are going for the Big 14, go after the two Arizona schools but Colorado in the South and put the two Oklahoma schools in the North.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
How about we just get Memphis?

HolyHandgernade
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
The argument was that their football program is not up to snuff.

-HH

duncan_idaho
03-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I think Memphis probably is a lot more likely addition than Arkansas at this point.

They're stuck in a declining Con. USA... Arkansas is in the SEC, and in a division that should be pretty winnable each year in football and basketball.

Memphis would be a nice addition to the B12 South if Baylor got the boot... would be a slight football upgrade and a big basketball upgrade, but it wouldn't throw the balance of football power even more out of whack.

If Arkansas replaced Baylor:

North:
Nebraska
Missouri
Kansas
K-State
Iowa State
Colorado

South:
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
OSU
Texas Tech
aTm

something would really have to be done about the alignment, because the south division would be even more dominant in football.

I also don't see any way Iowa would leave the money and prestige (it's a much better academic conference than the Big 12, aside from Ohio State). Of course, I guess they could try to get Arkansas as a replacement for ISU, but what would happen to the Cyclones then?