PDA

View Full Version : Jealousy

sedated
03-05-2007, 12:29 PM
I hung a Kansas Big 12 championship banner in my office at work, then came back to find my boss, who is a die-hard Mizzou fan, starring at it.

He saw me and said, "It must be nice"

"What?"

"To win something"

"Aww, you'll win something someday. Poor Tigers. But we've got a long way to go."

This is the first time a Mizzou fan has ever outwardly expressed jealousy. I always knew it was there, but it's normally replaced by venomous hatred.

(just felt like sharing)

StcChief
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Steeler fan 2 cubes down....Know all about it.

the Lamb fans have been very quiet of late :D

mikeyis4dcats.
03-05-2007, 12:30 PM
that would be envy, not jealousy.

The Franchise
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I live near Oakland.....they just glare at me when I walk by in my Chiefs jersey.

Reerun_KC
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Well doesnt MU have a final four banner hanging in The Paige Center?

sedated
03-05-2007, 12:37 PM

you're right.

f*ck you.

luv
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
You do realize that it's rude to dish out fake sympathy, right? :p

luv
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Actually, the two are very similar and are synonyms.

jeal·ous·y –noun
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

envy -noun
1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Actually, the two are very similar and are synonyms.

jeal·ous·y –noun
1. jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

envy -noun
1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

you only think that because jealousy is frequently misused

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000301.htm

and

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=59

luv
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
you only think that because jealousy is frequently misused

http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000301.htm

and

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=59
Yes, jealousy is resentment, while envy is covetous. His co-worker could have been jealous of the team's success or envious of the title they won.

Since he was looking at the flag, he was probably envious, but he could still be considered jealous. Whenever you look up envy in a thesaurus, it's one word definition in jealousy.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/Envy

Resent and desire are a few other words used in short definitions.

chop
03-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure if it's a good practice to get on the KU side of your MU boss.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, jealousy is resentment, while envy is covetous. His co-worker could have been jealous of the team's success or envious of the title they won.

Since he was looking at the flag, he was probably envious, but he could still be considered jealous. Whenever you look up envy in a thesaurus, it's one word definition in jealousy.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/Envy

Resent and desire are a few other words used in short definitions.

from Dictionary.com

Envy and jealousy are very close in meaning. Envy denotes a longing to possess something awarded to or achieved by another: to feel envy when a friend inherits a fortune. Jealousy, on the other hand, denotes a feeling of resentment that another has gained something that one more rightfully deserves:

Unless the Mizzou fan is jealous of Sedated, he is envious of KU's accomplishments.

chagrin
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
DUDE! Congrats, when did you get a job?

chop
03-05-2007, 01:21 PM
It must make the bathroom brighter. It also gives everyone something to look at while they do their business.

chagrin
03-05-2007, 01:24 PM
It must make the bathroom brighter. It also gives everyone something to look at while they do their business.

LMAO

"Towel sir? Oh yes, what do you think of my Jayhawks, they're the Big 12 Champs this year, SCOREBOARD! Oh yes sir, I also have polo by Ralph Lauren, you're welcome; good day sir"

:p

ck_IN
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
So let me make sure I have this straight.

My Chief fan relatives are envious of me getting the chance in a few weeks to touch and have my picture taken with the Colts' SB trophy. They're also jealous that the Colts and not the Chiefs won the SB.

Have I got it right? ROFL

chop
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
LMAO

"Towel sir? Oh yes, what do you think of my Jayhawks, they're the Big 12 Champs this year, SCOREBOARD! Oh yes sir, I also have polo by Ralph Lauren, you're welcome; good day sir"

:p

ROFL

StcChief
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
So let me make sure I have this straight.

My Chief fan relatives are envious of me getting the chance in a few weeks to touch and have my picture taken with the Colts' SB trophy. They're also jealous that the Colts and not the Chiefs won the SB.

Have I got it right? ROFL I think that just about covers it...

I have been 'near' the Rams SB trophy. But it was velvet roped off. :rolleyes: with security guards. It was a blood drive WTF.

ck_IN
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
<i>I have been 'near' the Rams SB trophy. But it was velvet roped off. :rolleyes: with security guards. </i>

I was wondering how St. Lou handled that. What the Colts are doing is putting the trophy on a multi state 'Thank the fans' tour. They're hitting various towns in Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. They give you a few minutes to have your picture taken with it, get an autograph if a player is there and they have a section of the trophy they'll let the fans touch. They'll polish the trophy except for that section. It's their way of including the fans and saying thank you.

Kinda cool actually.

sedated
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM
<i>I have been 'near' the Rams SB trophy. But it was velvet roped off. :rolleyes: with security guards. </i>

I was wondering how St. Lou handled that. What the Colts are doing is putting the trophy on a multi state 'Thank the fans' tour. They're hitting various towns in Indiana, Ohio and Illinois. They give you a few minutes to have your picture taken with it, get an autograph if a player is there and they have a section of the trophy they'll let the fans touch. They'll polish the trophy except for that section. It's their way of including the fans and saying thank you.

Kinda cool actually.

get this shit off my thread

luv
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
get this shit off my thread
Jealous? Envious? Whatever the damned word is....

ck_IN
03-05-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that would qualify as jealous Luv.