PDA

View Full Version : Booing Ban at High School Games??

Stinger
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Officials Weigh Booing Ban at High School Games

Some High School Sporting Officials in Washington State Want to Throw Unsportsmanlike Behavior Off the Field

March 4, 2007 — - From brawls on professional basketball courts to out-of-control parents at Little League games, unsportsmanlike behavior can be a problem.

Now, some high school sporting officials in Washington state are considering tough new rules -- including a ban on booing.

Those who support the ban say that too often, spectators are cruel.
"It's the organized effort to try to intimidate or try to make fun of someone that becomes personal in nature that can escalate then into other concerns that we might have," said Mike Colbrese, executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association.

Colbrese and his colleagues said they have trouble hiring coaches and referees because of the abuse they take. By banning booing from the stands, they believe they can create a more welcoming environment on the court and field.

Experts agree that behavior at school sports events is not what it used to be.

"Parents are more intense, family members are more intense, siblings are more intense," said Christine Brennan, a USA Today sports columnist and ABC News consultant. "Everything is ratcheted up."

The Interscholastic Association claims it just wants to reinforce good sportsmanship.

"I'm trying to figure out why people think booing is acceptable in the first place," Colbrese said.

The Boo Police?

At the Washington state high school basketball championships Saturday night, the fans were on their best behavior. But some weren't pleased that their right to boo might be taken away.

"The crowd should be able to say what they want to say," said one woman. "They pay their money. They should be able to boo if they want to.

Another fan was skeptical about how officials could police booing.
"What are they going to do, put everybody out of the stadium?" she asked.

Even Brennan can't picture a stadium free of negative commentary from the stands.

"I wouldn't know what to do if I were at a sporting event and no one booed," she said.

For now, spectators of high school sports can heckle and holler with the best of them. But if officials have their way in Washington state, fan behavior will improve -- no ifs, ands or boos.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures

LINK (http://i.abcnews.com/GMA/ESPNSports/story?id=2922183&page=1)

Rooster
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
BOOOOOOOO!!!!!

alanm
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Why don't they just make everyone wear dresses to school on the west coast.

StcChief
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
The pussification of America continues. :rolleyes:

BigRedChief
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
It's an unfortunate result of out of control parents.
I see it all the time at little league games. I instruct my parents to not yell at umpires or respond to taunts or comments directed at their son from opposing teams.

There are physical altercations every year.

noa
03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
:lame:

crazycoffey
03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Kids at games can booooo the kids playing the games. parents should justSTFU. Adults can booo adults playing professional sports and in both cases the ones on the field/court should worry only about doing thier job in the game, and think about the fans just getting involved with the game, good or bad, not to take is personally.

Bob Dole
03-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Bob Dole has only attended high school football games around here, and the only booing has been aimed at the officials.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
WTF boos little kids and high school kids? I have never seen that happen ever.

CoMoChief
03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
The pussification of America continues. :rolleyes:

yup, it's a shame. :shake:

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I played soccer throughout high school at a school that was pretty passionate about the sport, and booing was a regular occurence. Some of my favorite games ever were on the hostile turf of our rivals'.

Saulbadguy
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I have, once.

At the Chiefs-Colts playoffs game a few years back, they had the Punt Pass & Kick finalists do their thing, and each child had a jersey representing a team.

The children wearing the Colts, Broncos and Raiders jersies all got bood.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I have, once.

At the Chiefs-Colts playoffs game a few years back, they had the Punt Pass & Kick finalists do their thing, and each child had a jersey representing a team.

I fell bad for you then....none of the kids probably had on a Chiefs jersey. You probably didn't get to cheer for any of them. :)

The Franchise
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Why don't we just give everyone a trophy for showing up and not play the game at all. Jesus Christ....

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I have, once.

Thats bc those kids were dumb a$$es. :)

Now I have never seen people really boo in a game, yeah I have seen them do it at the ref and coaches but they are grown men who should be able to take punishment.

StcChief
03-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Why don't we just give everyone a trophy for showing up and not play the game at all. Jesus Christ....
I remember my kid in YMCA 2nd-3rd grade soccer..everyone got a trophy
medal...

I said something to coach, when he asked us to pitch in.....
"don't start this now. " Trophy entitlement BS.

I explained the reality of sports and competition to my boy.

He didn't care about a medial or trophy.

The Franchise
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
medal...

If you don't teach them about losing now....how are they ever going to get used to it when they're a Raiders fan?

ChiefaRoo
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
medal...

You did the right thing. Getting something for nothing in life never tastes as sweet as earning it. Human nature.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I never really noticed it until I got to college, that some people accept losing and just playing good is good enough for them.

I grew up with a class full of competiors, I mean we always had to be first in something - football, basketball, fishing, chasing skirt, you name we always had to beat each other at it. I think it made us better and respect each other more. Heck I saw the gothic kids and jock kids hanging out together. The world is a dog eat dog world.

BIG_DADDY
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I think we should give all our kids estrogen injections, put skirts on em and have mandatory hold hands and skip day every Tuesday.

FringeNC
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM
The view seems to be unanimous that this is a bad idea.

How does the educational establishment get away with implementing such nonsense?

chagrin
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
I would just like to know if there is any person on Chiefs Planet that thinks this is a good idea?

I am sure there's at least 1 person, right?

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
The amusing thing is there is nothing they can really do about...free speech and all....or so you'd think anyway.

PastorMikH
03-05-2007, 03:40 PM
Bob Dole has only attended high school football games around here, and the only booing has been aimed at the officials.

I've seen some officials out here that deserve it.

I still remember and laugh at one of the games this last fall. We were killing a team from OK City but they kept playing hard (and honest). Thier QB got flagged for intentional grounding and our fans booed the officials so bad that they picked up the flag.LMAO

If this were to be passed in OK. I'd be for traveling to our away games in home colors, sitting on the home side of the field, and booing at pivital points in the game.

:fire:

BigRedChief
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
See post #5. I see it every year.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
See post #5. I see it every year.

i wonder if these adults fight because they feel their kid is threatened, or if it's because of their own feelings of being threatened.

Mr. Plow
03-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately, I've seen not only parents get into it, but coaches of opposing teams as well. Hell, I almost got into it with the opposing coach in basketball one year.

He was complaining to the refs that my kids were blocking shots - mind you, this was all Kindergarten kids & 1st graders. I turned to him and said that if he was going to complain about my kids blocking shots, we could talk about him teaching his kids to set "picks" where they did nothing but grab my kids and push them out of bounds.

greg63
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
It's an unfortunate result of out of control parents.
I see it all the time at little league games. I instruct my parents to not yell at umpires or respond to taunts or comments directed at their son from opposing teams.

There are physical altercations every year.
Yeah, one year when my youngest was still playing little league baseball my sons team was in the field with the bases loaded, two outs and a full count to the batter (the classic situation) and all I said was "Get the easy out", which in my mind is how the game is played. I had parents wanting to take me to the mat over that simple comment.

greg63
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
The amusing thing is there is nothing they can really do about...free speech and all....or so you'd think anyway.

Attend a few games here in SE Kansas.

ChiefsCountry
03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Actually I take that back, I remember getting booed. But it was when we visited other teams. It was great the more I think about, never hurt my feelings any.