PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Girls

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm starting to rev up a relationship with a Catholic girl. Thing is, I'm a Protestant guy. She's not hardcore Catholic, but she's Catholic nonetheless and her parents are pretty hardcore. Which is pretty much the same number with me and Protestantism. She went to a Catholic school, and has a 4 year old daughter that'll probably be doing the same.

I'm 25. She's 27.

I know an okay amount about Catholicism, but I'm no expert. That's where the endless wealth of knowledge of the Planet comes in.

Two questions:

Do hardcore Catholics believe Protestants are heavenbound?

If you've ever gone through this situation before, how did you work it out?

Simply Red
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm starting to rev up a relationship with a Catholic girl. Thing is, I'm a Protestant guy. She's not hardcore Catholic, but she's Catholic nonetheless and her parents are pretty hardcore. Which is pretty much the same number with me and Protestantism. She went to a Catholic school, and has a 4 year old daughter that'll probably be doing the same.

I'm 25. She's 27.

I know an okay amount about Catholicism, but I'm no expert. That's where the endless wealth of knowledge of the Planet comes in.

Two questions:

No

Yes

Bad.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
She went to a Catholic school, and has a 4 year old daughter that'll probably be doing the same.

Yes, we do.

That's great the daughter is going to a Catholic school. Encourage that.

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
No

Yes

Bad.
Dammit Carl! :cuss:

StcChief
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+zappa/catholic+girls_20056731.html
enough said.

NewChief
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+zappa/catholic+girls_20056731.html
enough said.

Damnit. Beat me to it.

icepick64
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes, we do.

That's great the daughter is going to a Catholic school. Encourage that.
ROFL

I went to catholic school, and the whole catholic school girl stories are true, they are a lot worse that public school girls.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
ROFL

I went to catholic school, and the whole catholic school girl stories are true, they are a lot worse that public school girls.

That depends on what your view of "worse" is.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I would consider myself lucky to have a Catholic girlfriend, Direckshun. Actually, I already do. They're smart, beautiful, caring and are good mothers. Plus when they're angry, they're usually pretty funny. And they like to have fun. But they know the limits, and they keep it responsible. Marry her, right now.

bogie
03-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I'm Presbyterian and married a Jew. It works out fine if you're both on the same page. Now would be a good time for the religion talk.

Scaga
03-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Married into a strong Catholic family myself about 11 years ago.
Might make for a few awkward moments every now and then, but it gets better with time.

Nothing like going to HER church functions and getting hammered. LOL :toast:

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm Presbyterian and married a Jew. It works out fine if you're both on the same page.
I figured it would work out if we're "on the same page."

It's just figuring how to get that way.

luv
03-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Does this one live closer to you?

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Does this one live closer to you?
Much.

luv
03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Much.
If she wants the Church to recognize your marriage, you'll need to convert. That's about all I know.

luv
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I would consider myself lucky to have a Catholic girlfriend, Direckshun. Actually, I already do. They're smart, beautiful, caring and are good mothers. Plus when they're angry, they're usually pretty funny. And they like to have fun. But they know the limits, and they keep it responsible. Marry her, right now.
I happen to think I'd be an excellent mother, and I'm not Catholic. To each his own, I guess.

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
If she wants the Church to recognize your marriage, you'll need to convert. That's about all I know.
Leeeeeet's take it the one step at a time.

luv
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Leeeeeet's take it the one step at a time.
Well, if you just plan on dating for awhile and breaking up, then religion won't matter much. :p

dtebbe
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

I grew up catholic, went to catholic school, and was even an alter boy. I honestly never as a child or adult have ever heard a negetive word about any other religion from the priests, deacons, or other "authority figures". In fact our priest and all the pastors from the protostant churches had a prayer breakfast together once a month, and members of all the churches were invited.

I'd be much more concerned if she were baptist...

DT

ck_IN
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't know about conversion but they'll expect the children to be raised Catholic. The daughter already is. You'll probably have to go through pre marriage visits with the Priest if you want to use their church. That's actually quite helpful. The priests raise questions you may not have thought of. It's a good way to get on the same page.

All in all as long as neither person is real strident it's not a big deal. I'm Catholic and my wife is Baptist but neither of us are hung up on it. In fact she enjoys Christmas mass.

The Franchise
03-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I grew up catholic, went to catholic school, and was even an alter boy. I honestly never as a child or adult have ever heard a negetive word about any other religion from the priests, deacons, or other "authority figures". In fact our priest and all the pastors from the protostant churches had a prayer breakfast together once a month, and members of all the churches were invited.

I'd be much more concerned if she were baptist...

DT

Same here minus the catholic school part.

I'm sure you're thinking of the die-hard catholics who go to church every day of the week and pray every other 5 minutes. Most normal catholics don't talk bad about any other religions.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
If you love/like the girl and you fit well together, it would about dumb if you put it down because of religion. In the end it's the same God with slightly different particulars.

houchief
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
I grew up Baptist, then became Methodist when I couldn't understand why the Baptists did what they did and said what they said. But I was a hardcore Protestant. Then I married a Catholic girl on my second marriage, with the understanding that I would never be Catholic. After a few years of getting to understand just what Catholicism is all about, I am now a hardcore Catholic and couldn't ever change.

Chief Henry
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Ask her if she knows what the two parts of the Catholic Mass are!!!

1. Readings
2. Eucharist

If your in a serious relationship with a Catholic girl,
consider yourself lucky. Most that I know are
great people. Sure you'll have your occassional snobs, but you'll have that with any group of people.

ChiefsFanatic
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

Once you are married, she can't deny you the right to procreate. I heard that somewhere.

Mecca
03-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Threads like this make me happy that I'm very non religious.......and I'm not going to church for anyone, God and his money problems.

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I've never been told that a non-catholic is banned from heavendotcom. I think there may be confusion on this issue from some older interpretations before Vatican II.

I'm Catholic and married a Catholic Light(see Lutheran)...we both went through all the hoops of both Churches..married in hers, approved in Mine after she converted.

If you get married, you DO NOT have to convert to have the marraige blessed/accepted, but you do have to take a series of classes. They seem like a pain, but make you address some issues.

Until/Unless you're looking at tying the knot...it should be a non-issue.

Kerberos
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, if you just plan on dating for awhile and breaking up, then religion won't matter much. :p

No ... She's a single mother and that is a SACRED thing. He has to be honest with her.

She's been to the amusment park and rode all the rides... she's been to the puppet show and seen ALL the strings.

All of this was said in my BEST Rod Tidwell impersonation!

:p

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Threads like this make me happy that I'm very non religious.......and I'm not going to church for anyone, God and his money problems.

Alot of Church Folks are probably glad you don't attend also....I mean, someday you'll get a job and serve them skillets at Denny's after mass.

Mecca
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Har Har.......overly religious folks amuse me though I mean cmon. This "god will fix everything" attitude just baffles me.

bogie
03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
I love Catholic girls short skirts. This thread is worthless without pictures of Catholic girls.

teedubya
03-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Do you live in Ireland?

if not, then its probably no big deal.

luv
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
I've never been told that a non-catholic is banned from heavendotcom. I think there may be confusion on this issue from some older interpretations before Vatican II.

I'm Catholic and married a Catholic Light(see Lutheran)...we both went through all the hoops of both Churches..married in hers, approved in Mine after she converted.

If you get married, you DO NOT have to convert to have the marraige blessed/accepted, but you do have to take a series of classes. They seem like a pain, but make you address some issues.

Until/Unless you're looking at tying the knot...it should be a non-issue.
A friend of my mom's married a Catholic man. His Church would not recognized their marriage until she joined. If I was incorrect in stating that, my apologies. That's just what I've heard/seen.

Direckshun
03-05-2007, 02:38 PM
What does joining the Church entail?

Do I have to fall to my knees five times and pray to the Vatican every Thursday?

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 02:42 PM
A friend of my mom's married a Catholic man. His Church would not recognized their marriage until she joined. If I was incorrect in stating that, my apologies. That's just what I've heard/seen.

Was either divorced? Thats a monkey wrench unless they go through the hoops for an annulment.

My brother in law is not Catholic....they did the classes and it was recognized.

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Do I have to fall to my knees five times and pray to the Vatican every Thursday?

Someone here has surely done it.

My wife did....I attended some classes with her, she had a "sponsor" and they started at the beginning, walked through Catholic beliefs, how and why things are done in mass, discussed the sacraments and why catholics believe in more of them.....a couple of ceremonies at mass.

In short, they show you what catholic teachings are based on, why they believe that way, give you ample opportunities to ask questions and comment and you can walk away at any time.

I saw several people in her group who were other religions or non-affiliated previously, including the daughter of a Protestant minister.

It was interesting to see and educational for me(even though I should have known most of it).

Its not a light decision and its one that only YOU can make.

Cathlolics won't beat on your door on saturday morning and try to get you to sign a UFA contract.

don't do it unless the decision is right for you.

InChiefsHeaven
03-05-2007, 02:49 PM

:rolleyes: No.

But, you probably should familiarize yourself with the RCC and what it teaches. To join, you would go through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation)and that is like 9-11 months of study, prayer and reflection. I suggest you go, you don't HAVE to convert if you go, but you will learn a great deal about the religion that you will be tied too.

InChiefsHeaven
03-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Basically what Iowanian said...

Hound333
03-05-2007, 02:58 PM

Yes you are going to heaven if you are a protestant. You will find that much of what is written about the Catholic faith has changed since Vatican 2 in the 60's. Most people still view the faith as it was before that. As always though there are going to be liberal and conservative priests. Some good and some bad. Only difference is that with the priest shortage it is much harder to get rid of a bad priest than most of your Protestant churches.

I have never gone through a relationship where both sides were very strict in devotion to different religions. Usually one will give in and join the others church (most of the time its the guy giving in). Could end up very bad unless you two have a very serious talk.

luv
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Was either divorced? Thats a monkey wrench unless they go through the hoops for an annulment.

My brother in law is not Catholic....they did the classes and it was recognized.
Both were divorced.

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
thats the problem. They'd both have to get Annullments to be recognised by the church.

Chief Henry
03-05-2007, 03:00 PM

But, you probably should familiarize yourself with the RCC and what it teaches. To join, you would go through RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation)and that is like 9-11 months of study, prayer and reflection. I suggest you go, you don't HAVE to convert if you go, but you will learn a great deal about the religion that you will be tied too.

The RCIA classes are beginning to wind down at Catholic Church's because the ceremony for joining is on Holy Saturday night before Easter. Easter is just one month away.

Good luck with your relationship with her.

Hound333
03-05-2007, 03:02 PM

This isn't the case anymore. If you want to be married in the Catholic church one of you has to be Catholic and you have to say you will raise your kids as Catholic. Plus go through the process of talking to the priest about the church views on marriage and meet with a long married couple to talk about what it takes to stay together ect....

The Catholic church recognizes almost all religious unions now.

Hound333
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM

It might depend on the Priest. They are not suppose to do it this way but some priests are more conservative than others. They do not have to marry you if they choose not to.

Uncle_Ted
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I love Catholic girls short skirts. This thread is worthless without pictures of Catholic girls.

Dammit, you beat me to it! :cuss:

Halfcan
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I have never watched any Catholic Girl Hardcore-so I can't answer??

Uncle_Ted
03-05-2007, 03:23 PM
It might depend on the Priest.

What the hell does Priest Holmes have to do with this? :)

Some Catholic churches will allow a marriage without conversion. Just have to shop around.

rockchalkgirl
03-05-2007, 03:25 PM
My sister and brother-in-law were married in a Catholic church in KCK. He did not convert. They did complete the classes, and did promise that any children born to them would be raised Catholic.

Hi Jake.

KCFalcon59
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Married into a strong Catholic family myself about 11 years ago.
Might make for a few awkward moments every now and then, but it gets better with time.

Nothing like going to HER church functions and getting hammered. LOL :toast:
You know what you'll find around every 4 Catholics.........

a fifth

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I happen to think I'd be an excellent mother, and I'm not Catholic. To each his own, I guess.

Luv, I did not say that only Catholics were good mothers.

However, they are the best.

DanT
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Here's a page that discusses the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (R.C.I.A.), the process by which adults join the Catholic Church.

http://www.catholic.org/prayers/become.php

I went through R.C.I.A. in 2004-05 and am a sponsor of a person going through it this year. For folks who go through the full program, it generally starts in the Fall, with the period of inquiry. The weekly class--in our parish, it's on Wednesdays from 7:30-9:30--is usually a highpoint of my week!

bogie
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
My sister and brother-in-law were married in a Catholic church in KCK. He did not convert. They did complete the classes, and did promise that any children born to them would be raised Catholic.

Hi Jake.

My first wife was Catholic. Instead of classes, went on a 3 day 2 night retreat. I enjoyed it, but could never really come to grips on the whole "promise that any children born to them would be raised Catholic" thing.

Mr. Plow
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I figured it would work out if we're "on the same page."

It's just figuring how to get that way.

I'm Catholic. Drinking is our national past time.

Nothing better than a Catholic wedding.

Mr. Plow
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
My first wife was Catholic. Instead of classes, went on a 3 day 2 night retreat. I enjoyed it, but could never really come to grips on the whole "promise that any children born to them would be raised Catholic" thing.

Retreat was fun. A lot of good information. But, after the first day & 1/2, it just got repetitive.....so we enjoyed some nookie during one of our "talking" times.

KCChiefsMan
03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
catholic girls usually put out the first night.

gblowfish
03-05-2007, 04:14 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

I've been married for 14 years, and it's the same situation. My wife is Catholic, I was raised in a Christian church. I was 35 when I got married, so i waited a little later in life than you.

In order to get married in the Catholic church, I had to go through about six meetings with another Catholic married couple. It was one of the church's stipulations before they'd marry us; but Catholic & Catholic couples have to do the same thing.

We've got along fine. Sometimes I go to Mass with her. She's much more "religious" about attending church every Sunday than I am. But I've never felt like it was a big problem.

One big thing for me was her parents were the same way; her mom was Catholic, and her dad was a Methodist. So they had no objections when we got married. I had to agree that if we had kids, they'd be raised Catholic. But since I didn't get married till I was 35, we didn't have any kids. So that hasn't been an issue either.

If I go to heaven, it won't matter if I was Catholic, Christian or whatever. It's all between me and the man upstairs.

Hope this helps.

cookster50
03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
That's easy, my boss(who is Catholic) says that yes, Protestants will be in heaven. After all, someone has to work the food and cleaning industries.

Iowanian
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
catholic girls usually put out the first night.

With a little GHB and some sexpanther, they put out 75% of the time, %100 of the time, eh.

03-05-2007, 04:22 PM

That is not true. The Catholic church marries couples all the time where one is Catholic and the other is not. They just expect you to agree to raise the children catholic.

Dave Lane
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

No

Yes

Bad but it did last 13 years.

Also I had to get re married in a Catholic Church after 5 years because you aren't really married unless its preformed by a catholic priest. (And 16 weeks of marriage counseling from a priest of all things) We had a little talk about my views of religion and the catholic church and I never had to go again after the first meeting.

Dave

vailpass
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Hope this helps....LMAO

Baptist Boys Seduced by Lewd Attire and Shocking Behavior of Local Catholic Girls
Local News

Freehold, Iowa - "One of those Catholic girls bit my son in the ear!" shouted David Wright, during a meeting of Landover Deacons earlier this month. His son had a close encounter with one of Freehold, Iowa's notorious Catholic girls. Sassy young Mary worshipping ladies have been a longstanding problem in the Freehold community. Their vices, and their complete disregard for authority of any kind, has reached an almost intolerable level. They cut class so they can walk the streets during the day, and they fill up on liquor so they can "get loose" and lure Baptist boys into the alleys at night. Their intent is alarming to those of us who are not familair with their flippancy toward anything Godly. Clearly they serve their own sinful nature, and parade about in scantliy clad attire, with only the Devil's purpose in mind. That purpose is to lure the naturally attracive Baptist young person, into a world of reckless abandon. To draw the Godly towards the Satanic fire that burns in the furnace of every Catholic Church in the world. Underneath their burdensome skirts lies a lustful wound that is trained to ensnare within it's drenched cavity the very soul of our innocent youth.

The Church of Mary, Queen of Heaven - unfortunately located in downtown Freehold Iowa, houses a corn-a-copia of seductive young nun. These contemptible daughters of Satan make it their life's work to train innocent young women in the ways of Babylonian erotica. They turn chaste lasses into saucy vixens faster than it takes a Mexican to down 10 shots of tequila. When the hounds of Hell are finally let loose on the street, they sweat misbehaivor at every turn.

We believe that young Catholic girls are a spotted stain on America. They are impolite, shameful, lewd, and exibit shocking behaivor wherever they roam. These smart-aleck, snippy, irreverent teens need a good hard spanking. We don't intend to lose any more of our young boys to these sirens of Rome. Landover Baptist Church is proud to be first in putting forth an edict by which any discourteous conduct observed at the expense of our innocent young people, will be returned in a like manner subject to our Pastor's enterpretation of Mosaic Law.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0599/gals.html

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm Catholic, my wife is Catholic. It's amazing how isolated people are even today with regard to religion. I don't know anything about Protestantism, Judaism, or Muslim. Anyway, glad you asked these questions.

With regard to being heavenbound, I believe that the official stance of the Vatican is that the Holy Ghost is present in other religions and that the faithful of those religions are eligible for heaven as well. Pre-Vatican II, everyone was hell-bound if they weren't Catholic.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
No
DaveMost people consider Priests, nuns, and the Pope "hard-core" Catholics.

Catholic girls, there's no better.

DaneMcCloud
03-05-2007, 04:51 PM

There's no woman in world, especially with a kid, that I'd do that for. As a matter of fact, I never dated a girl with a child when I was dating. That's just way, way, way too much responsibility and there's a good chance that the child will throw the "you're not my dad, so you can't tell me what to do" BS at you willingly and often. I know several guys that didn't take my advice and their relationships ended in disaster.

Good luck to you, Direckshun.

BigCatDaddy
03-05-2007, 04:59 PM
I have a lot of buddies that are catholic. They like that they can do whatever the want say a few Hail Mary's and be told they are okay.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Mass every Sunday....ugggg...since Mass is a recreation of the last supper...and such rituals are technically honoring false idles...doesn't that make cath-o-lics pagens?

vailpass
03-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a lot of buddies that are catholic. They like that they can do whatever the want say a few Hail Mary's and be told they are okay.

There's a little more to us than that. The Catholic church is the largest charity in the world, doing more on a ground level for the downtrodden, diseased, and oppressed than any other group on the planet.

My personal experience as a KC has provided me with many opportunities to give back to the community, as has my family's involvement with the St. Vincent DePaul food bank.

At my child's Catholic school his second grade class is involved in shoebox ministry, where they collect toiletries, socks, etc. and pack them in hundreds of shoeboxes which they distribute to the homeless.
Their class sponsors an orphaned brother and sister in Somalia, writing them letters and collecting quarters and dollars to send each month.

Tonight I think I'll get shitfaced though, about that part you are correct. We figure it's okay to enjoy the life God has given us so long as we help others do the same.

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Mass every Sunday....ugggg...since Mass is a recreation of the last supper...and such rituals are technically honoring false idles...doesn't that make cath-o-lics pagens?

You can't be serious Garcia...

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 05:15 PM
You can't be serious Garcia...

I am serious. Ritual in this context was forbidden by God according to Moses. So if that's true, wouldn't the honoring of false idles be considered pagenism and against the word of God?

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Pagens, are those the ancient guys that made paper books?

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM

they did have a printing press.

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I am serious. Ritual in this context was forbidden by God according to Moses. So if that's true, wouldn't the honoring of false idles be considered pagenism and against the word of God?

What "false idol" is being honored?

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM

lol...you are thinking of page boys.

Garcia Bronco
03-05-2007, 05:27 PM
What "false idol" is being honored?

Everything in the room...from the alter to the statues. Think about it...what exactly is being worshipped?

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Everything in the room...from the alter to the statues. Think about it...what exactly is being worshipped?

Rocks?

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Are you Catholic? You seem to have a base misunderstanding of what the Catholic Mass is all about.

Only God is being worshipped during the Catholic Mass. I believe you are referring to statues of Mary, the stations of the Cross, etc, correct? It's not like we're sitting there worshipping the alter and all the statues in the building. That's totally false.

The Mass consists of the Liturgy of the Word, the Gospel, and the Eucharist. The Liturgy consists of readings from the new and old testaments. The Gospel is a reading of a passage from one of the Gospels (Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John) followed by a discussion of the reading by the celebrant (the homily). The Eucharist is the blessing of bread and wine, the literal conversion of the bread and wine to the body and blood of Christ. It's celebrating the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, who is God.

At no point during the Mass is anyone but God being worshipped.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 05:39 PM
At no point during the Mass is anyone but God being worshipped.

Well, sometimes Catholic girls, too.

Steve Sewell
03-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Well, sometimes Catholic girls, too.

This is true...damnit, Garcia was right!

BucEyedPea
03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Two questions:

Most RC's today aren't hardcore. They're cafeteria Catholics.

I know some who consider themselves Catholic here, are gonna disagree with me, even if they feel they are hardcore. But no, Protestants are not necessarily heaven bound per the "official view" which remains: "No Salvation Outside the Catholic Church." It's a dogma and no dogma has ever been undone, despite the lack of clarity in the catechism, some wayward priests and misconceptions of many, many RCs. Wikipedia even has it wrong.

BTW I went to RC schools too. Yet, I never treated Protestants differently or with any lack of respect. I was not raised like that. However, I am not longer a practicing RC.

What it comes down to is: What type of RC she is in life. And it depends on what type of Protestant you are too. Some can't stop railing against Catholcism and are hyper-critical. That won't work either.

I did not read this entire thread, just the first post.

Hammock Parties
03-05-2007, 06:00 PM
I've been considering becoming Catholic.

Jenson71
03-05-2007, 06:12 PM

I searched to see if this was because she was Catholic, and found this gem of an internet gathering:

http://mb.music.yahoo.com/music/artists/threadview?m=tm&bn=mus-20209221&tid=936&mid=1220&tof=4&off=1

vailpass
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Good luck on finding the church where you are the happiest.
IMHO all rivers flow into the ocean and it doesn't matter which you choose so you might as well get with the one that best fits you.

Hammock Parties
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
I searched to see if this was because she was Catholic, and found this gem of an internet gathering:

http://mb.music.yahoo.com/music/artists/threadview?m=tm&bn=mus-20209221&tid=936&mid=1220&tof=4&off=1

Heh heh. I don't think she's Catholic.

Believer
03-05-2007, 07:29 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

whatever you do, dont ask a Pastor or a Priest. Get your information from the brilliant people of chiefsplanet.

idiot.

Mr. Plow
03-05-2007, 08:08 PM

That is actually incorrect. In order for the marriage to be recognize by Catholic eyes, the marriage must take place in a Catholic church. Other than that, it's fair game.

Believer
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM

I'm 25. She's 27.

Two questions:

Why dont you get married in Barack Obama's church?

BucEyedPea
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
That is actually incorrect. In order for the marriage to be recognize by Catholic eyes, the marriage must take place in a Catholic church. Other than that, it's fair game.
I thought they recognized any marriage in any church. Maybe not...on this I'm not sure. What I do know is I once was going to marry a divorced Protestant, when I was still a RC. His former marriage was recognized by the RCC. Thus it had to be annuled first by the RCC before I could marry him. If it could not be annuled by RCC, then my marriage would never be recognized by the RCC. So they do recognize any marriage ceremony in other faiths, at least. What I don't know is if a RC has to be married in a RCC. I guess so per Raush as I am now editing this post. I have seen double faith ceremonies in a RCC with another faith. I've seen that.

BucEyedPea
03-05-2007, 09:30 PM
The statue is merely a representation...they are not worshipping the statue itself. Common misconception. You must be Greek Orthodox?

BWillie
03-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Put it in her butt

Rausch
03-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I thought they honored any marriage in any Church. Maybe not...on this I'm not sure. What I do know is I once was going to marry a divorced Protestant, as a RC. His former marriage was considered a valid marriage in their eyes. Thus it had to be annuled first. If it could not be annuled, then my marriage would never be considered valid to him...in the eyes of the RCC at least.

Same deal with Catholicism, and you have to be married in the church to be recognized by the church.

Rausch
03-05-2007, 09:53 PM

That should solve all your problems...

Braincase
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM

Not true. You do have to go to an engagement encounter. I later converted.

Braincase
03-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Um, Pope John Paul more or less agreed in the old Hebrew tenant that the righteous of all nations will be seated at the right hand of the Father.

It worked out for me, 3 kids and 11 years later.

Rausch
03-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Not true. You do have to go to an engagement encounter. They broke me later and injected the guilt directly into my cerebellum.

Fixed it for you...

BucEyedPea
03-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Same deal with Catholicism, and you have to be married in the church to be recognized by the church.
I think my post was not taken as intended. Also I just saw a typo.