PDA

View Full Version : TEICHER- Peterson visits with Green, Harris and agent Condon

C-Mac
03-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Chiefs’ GM keeps busy
Peterson visits with Green, free agent Harris and agent Condon.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Green

Carl Peterson’s day opened with an interview with an unrestricted free-agent visitor, linebacker Napoleon Harris.

It continued with the long-awaited sit-down with quarterback Trent Green. It ended with a meeting with Kansas City’s Tom Condon, the agent for — among others — free-agent linebackers Kawika Mitchell and Donnie Edwards, and wide receiver Kevin Curtis.

But Peterson, the Chiefs president and general manager, was unable to reach a resolution on any of it. Harris remained in Kansas City for a second night, an unusual occurrence for a free-agent visitor, but had yet to agree to a contract.

Green is still a member of the Chiefs, though his time in Kansas City may be winding down. He appears to have lost his starting job since the Chiefs re-signed Damon Huard last week. The Chiefs have offered him in trade to other teams.

Green and his agent, Jim Steiner, declined to answer questions about his meeting with Peterson.

“He’s a very special person,” Peterson said. “That’s what he is, a very special person. We agreed that what we discussed would remain between him and me. He is still a member of this team. Right now, he is. There’s no question about it.”

Peterson was unsure whether his meeting with Condon would lead to deals or even visits with any of the agent’s free-agent clients.

The Chiefs are looking at Harris, a first-round pick of the Raiders in 2002, to play middle linebacker. He played five NFL seasons, the first three with Oakland and the last two with Minnesota.

Harris went from the Raiders to the Vikings as part of the Randy Moss trade. He met with Tampa Bay before coming to Kansas City.

“He’s an impressive guy,” Peterson said. “He’s a guy that we’ve liked very much for a long time. I remember when he sat in my office before the draft when he was coming out of college. We brought him in that year before the draft. We thought a lot of him. We made a decision, right or wrong, to go with Ryan Sims. That’s one of the great things about free-agency. You might not get a guy the first time around, but you’ve got a chance to get him the second time.”

Whether the Chiefs try to re-sign Mitchell, their starting middle linebacker for the last four years, or Edwards, who started his career with six seasons with the Chiefs, could depend on their success in signing Harris.

Though Harris and Mitchell have played middle linebacker, there could be room for both because the Chiefs have discussed moving Mitchell to an outside position.

The Chiefs will probably add at least one linebacker if Mitchell signs elsewhere. Derrick Johnson has a solid grasp on one starting spot, but the Chiefs would like to improve over Kendrell Bell, a disappointing free-agent signing from two years ago.

That’s where Edwards could fit in. The Chiefs released him five years ago, and he played well against them twice each season since then for San Diego.

The Chiefs regretted the move and have been trying to replace him ever since.

“We’ve said from the outset that we’d like to have Kawika back, but it’s got to be at the right numbers,” Peterson said. “Everybody knows of my liking of the UCLA guy (Edwards).”

Peterson said Condon was trying to drum up interest in Curtis, who played the last four seasons for the Rams. He has mainly been a third receiver, but he caught 40 passes and scored four touchdowns last season, and many scouts think he is ready to emerge as a star.

Curtis has had visits with the Vikings and Lions and may come to Kansas City.

“It depends on where Tom is with the numbers,” Peterson said.

Jordan Black, last season’s starting left tackle, lost his starting job over the weekend when the Chiefs signed Miami free agent Damion McIntosh. Black, an unrestricted free agent, was scheduled to visit with Tampa Bay today and Oakland on Wednesday.

HemiEd
03-06-2007, 08:38 AM
I would love to see HiWay 65 end up in Silver and Black. It would say a lot about Robert Gallery. LMAO

Archie Bunker
03-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I would love to see HiWay 65 end up in Silver and Black.

No kidding, Tamba and Jared have to be excited about that possibility as well.
:)

Chiefs Pantalones
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Green is done. I'm looking forward to the Brodie Croyle era, whether it's a success or not, we'll at least get good draft picks out of it next year.

Kevin Curtis and Napoleon Harris I don't mind, I would like to take a chance on Stallworth though. If we sign Stallworth, take a different direction in the first round, if we sign Curtis I think we should still draft a WR in the first round because Curtis is just a third WR. And if Curtis is signed we should get rid of Dante Hall because he'd be taking his third WR spot with no upgrade in the starting slots. Upgrade at WR this year is a must. As much as Herm doesn't mind, we can't have LJ carry the rock like he did last year. He's probably already done with but we don't know that for sure, history says so anyway.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-06-2007, 09:10 AM
does no one search or at least look at the front page before posting a new thread?

penguinz
03-06-2007, 09:52 AM
does no one search or at least look at the front page before posting a new thread?
You must be new around here.

CupidStunt
03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
IMO Curtis is a #2 receiver. He plays well from the slot but he has the ability to flank out and catch 60+ balls... if we have a legitimate QB, anyway.

I'd take a flier on Stallworth but I don't think we will and that's not all that bad. He's got talent but most of his shit outweighs that talent.

ck_IN
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
And the band plays on at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

We're looking at signing Harris and maybe Edwards both of which will likely cost nice bucks. We've already signed a LT and we're lookin at spending dollars on a WR.

Another 9-7 season with full renewals for season tickets and full attendance on game day. CP knows exactly what's important.

Sure-Oz
03-06-2007, 10:22 AM
I would rather have us run at Stallworth, i dont see what he did negative in PHI to be honest, other than the hammy injury. Mcnabb to Stallworth was money.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I would rather have us run at Stallworth, i dont see what he did negative in PHI to be honest, other than the hammy injury. Mcnabb to Stallworth was money.

What's stopping him from getting signed elsewhere is if he tests positive again he's suspended for a year. I'd be willing to risk that, if he has learned. I'd rather have him that Curtis. Curtis would just be taking Dante's place as third WR, and we'd be stuck with the same crappy starting duo.

CupidStunt
03-06-2007, 10:30 AM
And the band plays on at 1 Arrowhead Drive.

We're looking at signing Harris and maybe Edwards both of which will likely cost nice bucks. We've already signed a LT and we're lookin at spending dollars on a WR.

Another 9-7 season with full renewals for season tickets and full attendance on game day. CP knows exactly what's important.

What would you rather us do - nothing?

Sure-Oz
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
What's stopping him from getting signed elsewhere is if he tests positive again he's suspended for a year. I'd be willing to risk that, if he has learned. I'd rather have him that Curtis. Curtis would just be taking Dante's place as third WR, and we'd be stuck with the same crappy starting duo.
That is true and I def. think its worth the risk, he did fine last year with Philly. He def. has the talent to be very good WR and id def. like to get him.

ck_IN
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
<i>What would you rather us do - nothing?</i>

What I would rather us do is concentrate on the draft. I don't know what McIntosh cost but I'm betting that Harris will cost some bucks. A team going nowhere shouldn't lay out big FA bucks. A team going nowhere should scout college talent and get their ducks in a row for the draft.

Chiefnj
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Yep, the whole thing of Peterson being interested in Edwards doesn't look like King Carl is embracing the idea of rebuilding.

I have no problem with the McIntosh signing. In fact, I think (on paper) it's a great signing. The Chiefs don't have a LOT and they appear to have signed a good player to a good contract. Lets face it if McIntosh broke the bank his agent would have flapped it to the media and he would be listed next to Davis, Steinbach, Pashos, etc.

Sure-Oz
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I still think we can compete why completely tear down. Our O kille us last year if anything...the D def will keep getting better.

htismaqe
03-06-2007, 11:08 AM
We are concentrating on the draft.

You can't draft players at every position, especially when our two biggest needs are OT and DT. This draft is not a good draft for either of those positions.

CupidStunt
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
This draft is not a good draft for either of those positions.

OT class is pretty damn strong by most accounts.

DTs are very solid at the top and there's some depth there.

kcxiv
03-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Again, CP wont rebuild. He's going to restock and reload, just like every year, and try to get some good draft pics. Carl will not go out 4-12. People need to get that out of their head.

CoMoChief
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=C-Mac]Chiefs’ GM keeps busy
Peterson visits with Green, free agent Harris and agent Condon.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Green

We brought him in that year before the draft. We thought a lot of him. We made a decision, right or wrong, to go with Ryan Sims. That’s one of the great things about free-agency. You might not get a guy the first time around, but you’ve got a chance to get him the second time.”

This is why we have so many holes on this team now is because of shit like this. When Carl said something about him "liking the UCLA guy" wasn't Carl the one that let him go in the first place?

BigChiefFan
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Again, CP wont rebuild. He's going to restock and reload, just like every year, and try to get some good draft pics. Carl will not go out 4-12. People need to get that out of their head.
It's also becoming increasingly evident that he won't build a team to be Super Bowl contenders either.

shaneo69
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
KFFL quoted NFL Network as saying Kevin Curtis fired Condon as his agent today.

ck_IN
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
<i>You can't draft players at every position, especially when our two biggest needs are OT and DT. This draft is not a good draft for either of those positions.</i>

And nobody is saying it all has to be fixed in one year. This draft has some good Olinemen and it's LB and WR rich. So why are we talking to Edwards (done or close to it) and Harris (never much in the first place)?

We got a LT in Mcintosh, we could tender Edwards and Reed and look at BPA at LB or DT. Instead it looks like we're stopgapping.

htismaqe
03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
OT class is pretty damn strong by most accounts.

DTs are very solid at the top and there's some depth there.

The OT class is strong at the top - Joe Thomas is one of the best prospects in years.

After him and Brown, there is a very precipitous dropoff.

And there aren't ANY can't miss DT's in this draft, even Okoye and Branch have big question marks.

htismaqe
03-06-2007, 12:48 PM
<i>You can't draft players at every position, especially when our two biggest needs are OT and DT. This draft is not a good draft for either of those positions.</i>

And nobody is saying it all has to be fixed in one year. This draft has some good Olinemen and it's LB and WR rich. So why are we talking to Edwards (done or close to it) and Harris (never much in the first place)?

We got a LT in Mcintosh, we could tender Edwards and Reed and look at BPA at LB or DT. Instead it looks like we're stopgapping.

There are several PROJECT offensive linemen in this draft. Signing McIntosh affords us the luxury of being able to draft one of those guys.

This draft is very strong at OLB, but not so much at ILB, which both Edwards and Harris are.

CupidStunt
03-06-2007, 12:50 PM
And there aren't ANY can't miss DT's in this draft, even Okoye and Branch have big question marks.

There very rarely are.

htismaqe
03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
By the way, signing Harris and McIntosh also gives us some SLIGHT leeway to trade up in the 1st round if we need to - Okoye maybe?