PDA

View Full Version : Bad News Brown is dead; Jake "the Snake" Roberts still alive

Ultra Peanut
03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2007/03/06/3704792.html

Bad News Allen dies suddenly
By GREG OLIVER - Producer, SLAM! Wrestling

Allen Coage in 2005.
- photo by Bob Leonard

Former Olympic judo bronze medalist Allen Coage -- better known to wrestling fans as Bad News Allen and Bad News Brown -- has died suddenly. He was 63.

Coage died early Tuesday morning in Calgary at Rockyview Hospital, having been rushed to the hospital, complaining of chest pains.

Three weeks ago, Coage underwent hip replacement surgery and had been making progress on his recovery. Monday night, he was home alone and called longtime friend Gerry Morrow, complaining of chest pains. Morrow got him to the hospital.

Coage broke into professional wrestling through the New Japan Pro Wrestling organization, training in Japan and spending the first few years after the 1976 Montreal Olympics in Japan. He was known as Buffalo Coage there.

In the Calgary Stampede promotion, he was a star as Bad News Allen, having bloody feuds with the likes of The Dynamite Kid, Archie 'The Stomper' Gouldie, Bret Hart and others.

"Bad News Allen was one of those four or five wrestlers who I considered to be the hardest men in wrestling," Tom 'Dynamite Kid' Billington wrote in his autobiography. "He was definitely bad news. Don't get me wrong, he was a good friend, but once he got you in the ring, it was as if he didn't know you. I've had a lot of hard matches in my career, most of them in Japan, because that's how they like their wrestling, but the matches I had with Bad News were something else."

In the WWF of the late 1980s, he was known as Bad News Brown, and feuded with Bret Hart, Jake Roberts, Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper.

Coage often complained about his WWF run, which followed the closure of Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling promotion. "I made a lot of money up here with Stu. He enjoyed me because I put asses in the seats," Coage recalled in July 2006, leading into a typical straightforward explanation on his WWF days. "They handcuffed me. They pretty much didn't let me do what I should have done.

"They really held me down ... you've got your head guys, and Randy [Savage] called all the shots, so he was the one. I figured the object is to make money, and if this guy can make some money for you, you let him go, let him do his thing. I guess there was a lot of jealousy there, or whatever. I don't know his reason or whatever, but he was the one because he called all the shots."

Jake Roberts recalled Bad News. "He was good, very good," said The Snake. Was Coage hard to work with "No, he was ****ing easy." Even the judo stuff? "I had no problem at all working with him. We had a great time."

With his mean-looking face and a constant scowl, Coage delivered many memorable interviews. He is best known for slagging all the "beer-bellied sharecroppers" that watched Stampede.

When Stampede Wrestling re-started on TV in 1999, Coage was tapped to be a colour commentator, alongside Mauro Renallo.

He had been working the last number of years as a security guard at a mall; "Teenagers are a pain in the ass. You always have to run them off," he said in July 2006. Apparently they didn't know who they were messing with. "It don’t matter to them, they're tough."

Coage is survived by his wife Helen and their children.Shit.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
You're so ****ing weird. ROFL I love you.

BigRock
03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
He was 63? Wow. That means he was in his late 40's when he was in WWE, I figured he was a good 10 years younger than that.

I'll never forget his legendary quote to Hulk Hogan:

"IT'S GHETTOBLASTER TIME, FOOL"

Mile High Mania
03-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, it's sad to hear.

SnakeXJones
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
So, umm is Jake "The Snake" Roberts still wrestling for crack?

Mile High Mania
03-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I think he has cleaned up a bit...

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wherearetheynow/jakethesnake

Mecca
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Jake the Snake is like a roach......he'll never die no matter how many drugs/alcohol he puts in his system.

Mile High Mania
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
So, when the world ends it will likely just be Jake Roberts and Keith Richards? Weird.

SnakeXJones
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
So, when the world ends it will likely just be Jake Roberts and Keith Richards? Weird.

That's funny I was about to post that shit lmao

Mecca
03-06-2007, 08:17 PM

And Ric Flair you can't get rid of him either.........after a nuclear war he'd still be around having a 5 star match with a giant mutated cock roach.

Ultra Peanut
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
And Ric Flair you can't get rid of him either.........after a nuclear war he'd still be around having a 5 star match with a giant mutated cock roach.The post-apocalyptic rivers shall flow with Flair's blood, as he blades his way to yet another world title.

eazyb81
03-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I remember being scared of Harlem because of Bad News Brown, which was reportedly his hometown.

It's too bad he was mainly a jobber during he WWF run, he was a good worker.

jlscorpio
03-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Jake, along with the immortal Bruiser Brody, were my all-time favorites. Jake was even better in his pre-WWF days, in Bill Watts Mid-South Wrestling. He had some classics against DiBiase. Ah, the glory days. I still casually watch, but 82-87 wrestling was king.

Mile High Mania
03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah, if I recall correctly... Jake used to have a masked persona - "the Texan" or something like that.

jlscorpio
03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Don't recall that, duzn't mean it didn't happen, just don't recall. Have you guys seen the DVD chronicalling the Von Erich's tragedies, and the fall of their Dad's promotion? Good stuff.

SnakeXJones
03-12-2007, 01:51 PM
I had to bump this thread for this. Jake "The Snake" Roberts Teeth.. (http://www.wrestlingattitude.com/headlines.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173660680&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&)