PDA

View Full Version : Final Year Of Clements Deal Is Phony

Mr. Laz
03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
FINAL YEAR OF CLEMENTS DEAL IS PHONY

Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange explains that the eight-year, $80 million deal given by the 49ers to cornerback Nate Clements contains a phony final year, which automatically will be voided when a $10 million option bonus is paid to the player in 2008.

So either the option bonus won't be paid, and it'll be just a one-year deal -- or the option bonus will be paid, and the contract will be worth $64.02 million over seven years.

This is far different from a puffed up back end; it's a complete fabrication of the final year.

They could have picked any number for that final year. Instead of eight years, $80 million, the contract could have been eight years, $100 million. Or eight years, $800 million. Or eight years, infinity.

So why did they plop $15.98 million into the eighth year that will disappear a year from now? It was, in our view, a favor to the agent, who'll now be able to trumpet to recruits the fact that he negotiated an "eight-year, $80 million" contract.

He didn't. It's seven years, $64.02 million. Still impressive, but not as catchy.

BigRedChief
03-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Back loaded NFL contracts that have boatloads of cash that the player will never see is the norm. Whats new here?

Redrum_69
03-07-2007, 10:53 AM
What are the effects of drinking caffeine loaded energy drinks...like Full Throttle and NOS....if you drink these every day.

If I dont have an energy drink each day I find myself completely tired and cant get anything accomplished at work.

Mile High Mania
03-07-2007, 10:58 AM
In other news... fires burn.

morphius
03-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Back loaded NFL contracts that have boatloads of cash that the player will never see is the norm. Whats new here?
Exactly. Absolutely nothing new here. The organizations don't complain because they know the money will never go out there door. The player likes it because they have to have those gaudy numbers to show the other players so that they can get their "respect".

I have wondered how many times a player would have actually made more money if he hadn't have kept out the "respect" factor.

Ultra Peanut
03-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Baallllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Reaper16
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Baallllllllllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Baaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssssssssss

kcxiv
03-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I would just tell them franchise me every year. lol

Mecca
03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
The 49ers are having a great offseason with an already young and improving team......