PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Gammon :(

ChiefsFan4Life
03-09-2007, 03:57 PM
One of my favorites

Gammon has to take a hike
Chiefs sign Seahawks long snapper Darche to replace veteran center.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

From his anonymous position as a long snapper, Kendall Gammon nonetheless became a popular player in his seven seasons with the Chiefs. Gammon is the host for an in-season radio show and makes frequent TV and community appearances.

But Gammon’s time came to an end Wednesday when the Chiefs agreed to terms on a four-year contract with another veteran long snapper, Seattle’s Jean-Philippe Darche.

Gammon, 38 and an unrestricted free agent, said he would attempt to continue his career with another team.

“We’ll explore our options,” he said. “It might be awhile before something happens. Teams are looking at younger guys right now. As we get closer to training camp, maybe they’ll start to look at the old guy.”

Replacing Gammon with Darche keeps with coach Herm Edwards’ plan to make the Chiefs younger. Darche is 32 and, like Gammon, an accurate snapper for punts and placements.

He snapped for the Seahawks for six seasons and the first game of last season. He then suffered a hip injury and missed the rest of the season. The Seahawks had no interest in re-signing Darche, and he became an unrestricted free agent.

Darche is a French-Canadian every bit as popular in his native country as Gammon is in Kansas City.

Another free-agent visitor, cornerback David Macklin, left Kansas City without a contract agreement. Macklin was scheduled for visits with Denver and Washington.

Chiefs defensive tackle James Reed, an unrestricted free agent, met Wednesday in Houston with the Texans. The Chiefs are trying to re-sign Reed, a starter last season.

The Chiefs had no visits scheduled for the rest of the week. Cleveland defensive tackle Alvin McKinley is scheduled to visit on Tuesday.

Eleazar
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
It's spelled Gammmmmons n00b!

:p

ck_IN
03-09-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't know about having a frog on the Oline. He's likely to go French on us and surrender to the Dline.

kepp
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't know about having a frog on the Oline. He's likely to go French on us and surrender to the Dline.
True, but the "au-natural" odor may come in handy.

greg63
03-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Repost!

RealSNR
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
What the hell? Longsnapper is better than kicker. Players can play until they're 50 years old. There's no reason to get rid of the guy.

Stupid move.

Hammock Parties
03-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm definitely writing about Gammon next week. Always liked him.

RealSNR
03-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm definitely writing about Gammon next week. Always liked him.I recall your Gammon avatar back when you were going under the name JBret

ExtremeChief
03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm all for a youth movement, but I really don't consider the long snapping position a place where age hurt KC.

Rain Man
03-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Darche may turn out to be a long snapper extraordinaire, but I'm really sad to see Gammon go. I thought he could play for us for another decade.

The Kendall is dead! Long live the Kendall!

milkman
03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm all for a youth movement, but I really don't consider the long snapping position a place where age hurt KC.

Gammon wasn't able to get downfield fast enough to be of much help in punt coverage.
In that area, he was something of a liability.

FAX
03-09-2007, 08:10 PM
"Sucks" the Giant Toad couldn't bear worse news.

I really liked Kendall Gammon.

FAX

Phobia
03-09-2007, 09:41 PM

He'll definitely make the cover of a future WPI mag.

Hammock Parties
03-09-2007, 09:47 PM
He'll definitely make the cover of a future WPI mag.

Hell he ****ing writes for us. How funny would it be to feature one of your own writers on the cover? LMAO

The Dude Abides
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Have to change my location on my profile to something else now. Sad to see him go.

Phobia
03-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Hell he ****ing writes for us. How funny would it be to feature one of your own writers on the cover? LMAO

Putting ME on the cover for any issue last year may have been an improvement over the ones who actually did grace the cover. Whomever is responsible for the selection of the cover photo should possibly find new work.

Skip Towne
03-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I will be waiting with bated breath.

greg63
03-12-2007, 03:07 AM
What the hell? Longsnapper is better than kicker. Players can play until they're 50 years old. There's no reason to get rid of the guy.

Stupid move.

Same here; this makes no sense. IMO