PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards signs

Pages : [1] 2

Steve
03-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Chiefs sign him to a 3 year deal,13.5million.

cdcox
03-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Link?

Vegas_Dave
link... source?

Phobia
Source, please?

The Franchise
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

cdcox
03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
$7.5M guaranteed? :shake:

So much for getting younger.

milkman
03-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I can live with that.

JBucc
03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Cool.

OnTheWarpath15
03-10-2007, 02:14 PM
See ya, Kawika.....

Basileus777
03-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Will he play in Bell's spot at WLB or will we move Harris there?

nychief
We have improved our LB corp quite a bit. DJ, Nap Harris and Donnie Edwards is pretty nice.

tk13
Welcome home, Donnie. I guess we're going to have him play OLB? I wanted us to go after him, we are going to have a pretty good back 7.

Of course, the front four is what's crucial, and there are a ton of question marks there after Hali.

milkman

It's not like it's a cap buster, and it gives us a chance to get younger over the next two years.

Steve
03-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the link.I dont know how to add a link.

yeti
03-10-2007, 02:17 PM
it's too bad he had to leave in the first place

Thig Lyfe
03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Better than Bell.

stevieray
03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Saw him at Lamar's service and overheard him say that he loved it here....so I'm not shocked.

Good signing...say what you want, but Donnie is a makes plays...

Phobia
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
As you all know I like to be as fair as I possibly can despite my personal feelings.

FWIW, Nick Athan reported yesterday that Edwards was supposed to sign with the Chiefs inside of 24 hours. So, credit where credit is due.

pikesome
03-10-2007, 02:20 PM

With GROB would he have been as good?

Phobia
Saw him at Lamar's service and overheard him say that he loved it here....so I'm not shocked.

Good signing...say what you want, but Donnie is a makes plays...

I'll say I was wrong about him. I thought DT contributed greatly to his play here and performance fell off sharply after DT's death. But he proved me wrong in Sandy Eggo.

OnTheWarpath15
Alright Carl, you've upgraded the LBing corp....

Now get us some ****ing DT's or none of it matters. A solid back 7 is wasted without a decent front four.

pikesome
03-10-2007, 02:21 PM
As you all know I like to be as fair as I possibly can despite my personal feelings.

FWIW, Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan reported yesterday that Edwards was supposed to sign with the Chiefs inside of 24 hours. So, credit where credit is due.

That old saw about darts and throwing them applies here.

OnTheWarpath15
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM
That old saw about darts and throwing them applies here.

Yeah, he was really going out on a limb, wasn't he?

cdcox
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM

FWIW, Nick "The Erroneous One" Athan reported yesterday that Edwards was supposed to sign with the Chiefs inside of 24 hours. So, credit where credit is due.

You and Donnie's careers have taken parallel arcs:

cut your teeth with the good guys

reached the pinnacle of your powers with a rival

now back home playing out your twilight years.

milkman
03-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I'll say I was wrong about him. I thought DT contributed greatly to his play here and performance fell off sharply after DT's death. But he proved me wrong in Sandy Eggo.

I've never been a big Donnie Edwards fan, cause he's a marginal tackler.

But, to his credit, once he latches on, he doesn't often let go before help arrives.

And he's a hell of an upgrade to Bell, especially in pass coverage.

StcChief
03-10-2007, 02:25 PM

even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

TRR
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
KC can't get younger in every position. We might as well get better than. Edwards in KC is huge! I think I am going to buy a Donnie Edwards jersey.

One thing about Donnie...The guy could be 40 years old, and still be in great shape.

CoMoChief
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow. Goodbye Kaweaka.

vailpass
03-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Solid signing.

stevieray
03-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Solid signing.

ya, coupled with Nap Harris, I feel better about Henry and Rhodes coming into the division.

vailpass
03-10-2007, 02:31 PM
ya, coupled with Nap Harris, I feel better about Henry and Rhodes coming into the division.

You should. You replaced a couple of blocking dummies with actual pursue-and-tackle LBs.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 02:33 PM
You should. You replaced a couple of blocking dummies with actual pursue-and-tackle LBs.

Now if we could only find some DTs. I hear we are looking to sign a DT from the Browns :drool:

RJ
03-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I am very pleased to hear this news. Hated seeing him go, glad to have him back.

DaWolf
03-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Yeah, we've all bagged on his "ability to get dragged by the ball carrier" before (well maybe not everyone) but what this does is it brings us back a player who not only has something still left in the tank and plays at a high level, but someone who brings intangibles and leadership to a defense that has been lacking it for so damned long.

Donnie played on some proud KC defenses. He's also been a part of a damned good SD defense. He's not gonna let players lie down out there. And it'll be good for some of our young defenders to watch him play.

Additional benefit, as much as I wish we'd fire Gun, well if he's gonna be here at least he brings stability in terms of what we've been running the past few years and while better results should have been seen much sooner than now, at least he knows Edwards and Edwards knows him, and there should be zero learning curve.

Bye Bye Kendrell...

Buck
03-10-2007, 02:39 PM
SHIT **** ASS. I Hate admitting I was wrong.

Phobia
03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
SHIT **** ASS. I Hate admitting I was wrong.
It gets easier after you're married.

ferrarispider95
03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Great signing...

Welcome Back Donnie

milkman
03-10-2007, 02:43 PM
It gets easier after you're married.

You're not wrong about that.

Archie Bunker
03-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Outstanding move. It's going to be sweet seeing Donnie back in the red and gold. I think he has 2 or 3 good years left and will provide some nice leadership as well. The added bonus of probably never seeing Kendrell Bell in KC again is icing on the cake.

These signing are freeing the Chiefs to draft BPA and not reach as well as giving them the abiltiy to move up for a player they desire.

So far they have upgraded 3 positions without breaking the bank and are a couple of DTs away from a damn good offseason.

StcChief
03-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Good that Donnie Edwards is back. He still has a few good years left. Great leader. Knows the system.

Kendrell Bell AMF.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
going back usually isn't a good idea

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2007, 02:53 PM
NOW WE NEED FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJ

Bowser
03-10-2007, 02:54 PM

Quoted for truth. Greg Robinson's legacy as a world class dumbass is carved in stone.

It will be nice to have an interception threat at linebacker again, not to mention three guys who can all bring the blitz.

Bowser
going back usually isn't a good idea

Unless you're Donnie Edwards replacing Kendrell Bell.

the Talking Can
well, I'd rather not sign old people....but the price ain't bad (I thought he would get more) and he's a hell of a better player than Bell...

Kudos to the Chiefs for reworking our LB core and not breaking the bank....now sign some DTs, por favor...

Bowser
03-10-2007, 02:55 PM
NOW WE NEED FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJ

Demonpenz is firmly on board with this idea.

milkman
03-10-2007, 02:56 PM
well, I'd rather not sign old people....but the price ain't bad (I thought he would get more) and he's a hell of a better player than Bell...

Kudos to the Chiefs for reworking our LB core and not breaking the bank....now sign some DTs, por favor...

Who do you sign that's an upgrade?

el borracho
03-10-2007, 03:00 PM
I hope Carl still has the balls to draft a linebacker early if he is clearly the best player available.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Cato Junes is a guy that I can think of off the top of my head. Hell, he basically seems like a younger version of Donnie. Of course, he will probably fetch quite a bit more when he signs.

Buck
I hope Carl still has the balls to draft a linebacker early if he is clearly the best player available.
I honestly think you need to draft a tackle.

milkman
Cato Junes is a guy that I can think of off the top of my head. Hell, he basically seems like a younger version of Donnie. Of course, he will probably fetch quite a bit more when he signs.

The question was about DTs.

the Talking Can
03-10-2007, 03:02 PM

I don't care about upgrades...just want youth...we're rebuilding until Croyle gets experience, which could take 2 years (if he ever does)....personally, I want a top 5 draft pick to boot...

but look, the price is good and he's better than bell, so that's great...

FAX
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Hmmm. I think I'm glad to have him back, But, I wonder why we let him spend his best days elsewhere in the first place.

FAX

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Don't have a problem with this deal, solid for this market and he's still productive.

I don't haven an issue with older players who are econimically reasonable and still productive. You just can't have a whole team of them like we have in the past.

Bowser
03-10-2007, 03:04 PM

Yes. Defensive tackle or wide receiver. Look for us to grab a receiver at 24 if there is nobody at tackle worth taking at that spot.

milkman
03-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't care about upgrades...just want youth...we're rebuilding until Croyle gets experience, which could take 2 years (if he ever does)....personally, I want a top 5 draft pick to boot...

but look, the price is good and he's better than bell, so that's great...

So re-sign Jimmy Wilkerson and sign one of the guys that just visited, then move up to get Okoye (not a good idea when you're trying to get younger across the board), or move down to get value with a guy like Tyler.

That sound about right?

the Talking Can
03-10-2007, 03:10 PM
So re-sign Jimmy Wilkerson and sign one of the guys that just visited, then move up to get Okoye (not a good idea when you're trying to get younger across the board), or move down to get value with a guy like Tyler.

That sound about right?

yeah, and let em play...play Fox, play Wilkerson, Paige, Pollard, Webb, etc...let's see what they've got...

though, at that price it is a good signing, I can't knock it...I really thought he would command more on the market

all of our FA signings have been good value, I think...unless they suck, which would change my opinion, lol

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:13 PM
I think they know what some of those guys are......Fox when he got to play didn't really impress, the Chiefs may have already made a decision about him being a starter.

Pollard may be a hybrid type player in this defense. Page is more suited to be a SS for a cover 2....it's nice to have hybrid guys who can do alot of different things where Pollard would play as much as a starter but it would require 2 other safeties and him not being listed as a starter.

Archie Bunker
03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
As far as DTs go I would try and sign McKinley, Boone, and then draft a couple in the mid rounds.

Re-sign Wilkerson to rotate at DT and DE.

FDS
03-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Was he #59 before as a Chief? Tony G got his buddy back.

First PBJ Down PBJ Samie

ArrowheadHawk
03-10-2007, 03:21 PM
i like that move this is awsome....but how bout some linemen

RedThat
03-10-2007, 03:22 PM
As far as DTs go I would try and sign McKinley, Boone, and then draft a couple in the mid rounds.

Re-sign Wilkerson to rotate at DT and DE.

I think guys like McKinley and Boone would provide great depth. Better than Reed and Edwards.

I agree with re-signing Wilkerson. But I'd like to see this team find a good quality DT in the draft. It's either that, or draft a WR imo.

PinkFloyd
Hmmm. I think I'm glad to have him back, But, I wonder why we let him spend his best days elsewhere in the first place.

FAX

GROB

Mecca
i like that move this is awsome....but how bout some linemen

You can't sign what isn't there..........Ian Scott is probably the best guy out there, if he hasn't signed which I'm not sure of. And he is only slightly above average which means he probably wants to get paid like a pro bowler.

RedThat
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM

You don't. You draft one. I am for either drafting a DT or a WR.

I'd like to see this D-line young, and the future of this defense. With Allen and Hali there, a nice young DT would be perfect.

ArrowheadHawk
03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
You can't sign what isn't there..........Ian Scott is probably the best guy out there, if he hasn't signed which I'm not sure of. And he is only slightly above average which means he probably wants to get paid like a pro bowler.
anybody good in the draft??

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
That's great and all but there are 2 first round DT's and we basically don't have a shot at either one.

ArrowheadHawk
03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
That's great and all but there are 2 first round DT's and we basically don't have a shot at either one.
trade?

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
trade?

We have to many holes to be giving up picks to move up 10 spots for one player.....if anything we need more picks not less.

RedThat
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM

How do you know that?

There could be a DT in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, heck even the 6th round?

*The bottomline is, you don't know. But you act like you do.

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
That's a little different I thought you were saying we had to draft a DT in the first round.......

ArrowheadHawk
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
We have to many holes to be giving up picks to move up 10 spots for one player.....if anything we need more picks not less.
no not for a draft pick for a DT on somebody else's roster

Mecca
03-10-2007, 03:30 PM
no not for a draft pick for a DT on somebody else's roster

Ok so who has a good DT they wanna trade......seems like every team wants them. Hell when guys like Cory Redding get the franchise tag that should tell you something about the position.

ArrowheadHawk
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Ok so who has a good DT they wanna trade......seems like every team wants them. Hell when guys like Cory Redding get the franchise tag that should tell you something about the position.
do we really need LJ???

Just Kidding!

NJ Chief Fan
03-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Welcome home Donnie. There goes rebuilding, oh well.

RedThat
03-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Welcome home, Donnie. I guess we're going to have him play OLB? I wanted us to go after him, we are going to have a pretty good back 7.

Of course, the front four is what's crucial, and there are a ton of question marks there after Hali.

With the additions of Donnie Edwards, and Napolean Harris, the back 7 looks like it has potential to be a pretty good one.

Im just concerned about a few things. Our CB's are getting older, and Im still hoping they can hold their own. And the safety postions are a little bit questionable. Not a fan of either Sammy Knight or Greg Wesley. Im hoping that both will be replaced by Page and Pollard. And that is another thing, Page showed some flashes that he can be a good player. Im hoping that he can be. Pollard showed he made plays on special teams, and plays the game with fire and passion, the question is, can he play safety?

*I still think Page and Pollard at this point are projects, but if both guys can shape up to be good football players, we will without a doubt have a good back seven.

CoMoChief
03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Welcome home Donnie. There goes rebuilding, oh well.

We can't have youth at EVERY position. He's hands down better than Kawika Mitchell. When it's time for Donnie to hang em up then we can draft a LB or maybe we tutor Pollard (granted he puts on some weight).

We need to load up on Oline and Dline. Though I think now we can draft WR with our first pick if we can somehow someway sign Ian Scott. I think we also need to resign James Reed. I think we strongly need to look at drafting heavy in the secondary in 2008 as well. Law and Surtain arent getting any younger and we may see their skills decline even more this season than last.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 03:46 PM
With the additions of Donnie Edwards, and Napolean Harris, the back 7 looks like it has potential to be a pretty good one.

Im just concerned about a few things. Our CB's are getting older, and Im still hoping they can hold their own. And the safety postions are a little bit questionable. Not a fan of either Sammy Knight or Greg Wesley. Im hoping that both will be replaced by Page and Pollard. And that is another thing, Page showed some flashes that he can be a good player. Im hoping that he can be. Pollard showed he made plays on special teams, and plays the game with fire and passion, the question is, can he play safety?

*I still think Page and Pollard at this point are projects, but if both guys can shape up to be good football players, we will without a doubt have a good back seven.

We need to look at Daymeion Huges in the draft. He had poor times in the 40, and he is already falling on draft boards. He should be a starter in the cover 2, and he shouldn't be that high of a pick. Unless something happens to spring him back up into the top of the draft, he could be a great value pick for us.

DaWolf
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
C'mon people, under Carl the Chiefs will never "rebuild." They're going about this with the attitude that you try to win now by putting together the foundation of a good defense, build your offense around the talents of LJ and Gonzo, get adequate, efficient QB play from a guy like Huard, and they're gonna compete while stockpiling young players through the draft...

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 03:49 PM
No one can complain about this offseason. NO ONE.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 03:51 PM

I have been perusing some other AFC-West fan forums. Apparently this was a horrible move, and now teams are just going to run at Edwards for 5+ yards a play now. I mean it did work so well in San Diego with all the horrible run defenses they have had in recent years.

RedThat
03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
We need to look at Daymeion Huges in the draft. He had poor times in the 40, and he is already falling on draft boards. He should be a starter in the cover 2, and he shouldn't be that high of a pick. Unless something happens to spring him back up into the top of the draft, he could be a great value pick for us.

Id still be for drafting a safety. Because both Page and Pollard aren't guaranteed, and adding another safety won't hurt at all.

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
This is awesome!!11!!

I wonder how long it will take Gunther to figure out whether Donnie or Nappy belongs in the middle. It should be fun watching them switch back and forth throughout the first 10 or 12 games.

Hey, is Marvcus Patton available?!?!?!?

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 03:54 PM

It is Carl's best offseason evah!!11!!!!!

Just like 2003 and 2005!!11!!!

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
There's no question Donnie will play OLB.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 03:56 PM
I am pretty upset that we are actually signing decent FAs. We should be paving our path to the Super Bowl with back-to-back 2-14 seasons! Damnit Carl :cuss:

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I am pretty upset that we are actually signing decent FAs. We should be paving our path to the Super Bowl on back-to-back 2-14 seasons! Damnit Carl :cuss:

Decent FA's? As opposed to Vonnie Holiday, Shawn Barber, Dexter McCleon, Kendrell Bell, and Ty Law?

You're right. This is Carl's best offseason evah!!111!!!!! We will be awesome this year11!!!!!!

Hey, are Anthony Davis and Tracy Simien available?

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Decent FA's? As opposed to Vonnie Holiday, Shawn Barber, Dexter McCleon, Kendrell Bell, and Ty Law?

You're right. This is Carl's best offseason evah!!111!!!!! We will be awesome this year11!!!!!!

Who is saying that we are going to be awesome or that this is the best offseason ever? Really, point out where that was said.

Rain Man
03-10-2007, 04:05 PM

I think Kawika Mitchell can.

CoMoChief
03-10-2007, 04:09 PM
If someone even breathes on Durant they call it. Oops wrong thread.

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Yeah right.

I guess everyone suddenly forgets that it was about 97% unanimous around here that when we let Donnie go, it wasn't a bad thing because the POS let ballcarriers drag him 5 yards before he made any tackles.

But all of a sudden, people are waxing nostalgic about all the big plays he made when he was here. Oh that's right, he never made any big plays when he was here. Except for that big fumble return he had in a losing effort against the bears in '99.

Dartgod
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
If someone even breathes on Durant they call it. Oops wrong thread.
Can he play LT?

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh that's right, he never made any big plays when he was here.

This is dumb. Donnie is an IDEAL weakside linebacker in Cover 2 scheme.

Furthermore, he ran an interception back for a TD at the first Chiefs game I attended. Ignorant much?

el borracho
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Why? We didn't have any last year and we did ok.

Just kidding. Yes, of course we need to draft a tackle. We should probably draft two tackles but we absolutely should not pass on first round talent to draft third round talent at a position of need. We (still) have way too many holes to fill with one offseason.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 04:16 PM

That sound about right?
why the heck haven't we re-signed Wilkerson?

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 04:17 PM
why the heck haven't we re-signed Wilkerson?

For the same reason no one else has signed him.

The Chiefs Dude
Sweet.

Skip Towne

If you throw enough shit against the wall some o it is bound to stick. He's just guessing 90% of the time. He gets no credit from me.

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
This is dumb. Donnie is an IDEAL weakside linebacker in Cover 2 scheme.

Furthermore, he ran an interception back for a TD at the first Chiefs game I attended. Ignorant much?

1) Really? Has he ever played in the Tampa Cover 2?

2) Which game was that? If it was at Arrowhead, I was there. And I don't remember it.

nychief
03-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Id still be for drafting a safety. Because both Page and Pollard aren't guaranteed, and adding another safety won't hurt at all.

Don't worry. Carl will draft another safety - he always does.

dirk digler
03-10-2007, 04:25 PM
But all of a sudden, people are waxing nostalgic about all the big plays he made when he was here. Oh that's right, he never made any big plays when he was here. Except for that big fumble return he had in a losing effort against the bears in '99.

Donnie made alot of plays when he was with the Chiefs.

He had 5 INT's in 99 alone
2 INT - 2000
0 INT - 2001

Now he started to slow down when we released him but he has been pretty damn good in San Diego

From NFL.com
While Edwards consistently led the team in tackles, his production in other areas had dropped off the last couple of seasons. He had two interceptions the last two years after getting five in 1999, and his three sacks were half his career-best total in 1998.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah right.

I guess everyone suddenly forgets that it was about 97% unanimous around here that when we let Donnie go, it wasn't a bad thing because the POS let ballcarriers drag him 5 yards before he made any tackles.

I haven't forgotten- I'm right there with you. Edwards does get dragged and he does not make big hits. Seriously, we need to get some players on the line in front of him or he is going to get eaten alive back there. At least he should be back outside.

2bikemike
03-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I hope he gets his old number back so I can dust off the old autographed Edwards jersey

CoMoChief
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Sign DT Ian Scott, and I will be happy this offseason.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
For the same reason no one else has signed him.
Well, sure, I wouldn't line up to get any Chiefs Dlineman of the last 7 years if I were an NFL GM but I thought Wilkerson was one of the better linemen we had. We must be trading for somebody because I don't see how we can replace 4 or 5 Dlinemen* in one offseason. We certainly can't get that many in the draft.

*Reed, Edwards, Wilkerson, Sims, Hicks

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, sure, I wouldn't line up to get any Chiefs Dlineman of the last 7 years if I were an NFL GM but I thought Wilkerson was one of the better linemen we had. We must be trading for somebody because I don't see how we can replace 4 or 5 Dlinemen* in one offseason. We certainly can't get that many in the draft.

*Reed, Edwards, Wilkerson, Sims, Hicks

We'll sign Reed, Edwards and Wilkerson eventually, at least one or two of them. We're just not going to overpay.

keg in kc
Bleh.

Nothing special when he was here before, and that was, what, 20 years ago?

Hammock Parties
2) Which game was that? If it was at Arrowhead, I was there. And I don't remember it.

99 against the Steelers. I was there. At Arrowhead.

Archie Bunker
03-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Sign DT Ian Scott, and I will be happy this offseason.

I didn't watch many Bears games so can someone sell me on why Scott is the best option at DT? His 22 tackles and 0 sacks don't exactly scream sign me.

The Poz
03-10-2007, 04:41 PM
What I'm really looking forward to with this acquisition is the play of DJ. I think we'll see what he's all about. His first 2 season's were good but not great (I guess I expected more from all of his college #'s). With solid and smart LB's around him he should really excel. Kinda like Sims next to Peppers.

Oregon chief
03-10-2007, 04:42 PM
so has anybody heard about Bell? Are we releasing him whats the deal?

Red Dawg
03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I'll take Donnie back. Harris, DJ and Donnie. LB's are looking good.

CosmicPal
03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm neither excited nor disappointed by this pick up. The same goes for all the other free agent pick-ups this year, thus far.

shaneo69
03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
99 against the Steelers. I was there. At Arrowhead.

You're right, he had an INT return for a TD that game. I didn't remember that. All I remember from that game is Derrick Alexander's 80 yard TD run on the end-around.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Dante says....WELCOME HOME, BITCH!

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5343/danteowneden4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Mama Hip Rockets
03-10-2007, 04:51 PM
hoo ray!!!!

Bob Dole
It will be nice to have an interception threat at linebacker again, not to mention three guys who can all bring the blitz.

You're not going to miss seeing a linebacker run directly into the big pile of linemen and then jump up and down frantically? Hell, that was funnier than watching the Keystone Kops.

Archie Bunker

LMAO

Bowser
03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Bleh.

Nothing special when he was here before, and that was, what, 20 years ago?

That alone speaks volumes to the effectiveness of Kendrell Bell and/or Keyaron Fox.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 04:52 PM
You're not going to miss seeing a linebacker run directly into the big pile of linemen and then jump up and down frantically? Hell, that was funnier than watching the Keystone Kops.

At least Donnie can run. I won't miss seeing Kendrell Bell waddling.

The Poz
03-10-2007, 05:07 PM
A bit more on Edwards...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794070

Mecca
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5343/danteowneden4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

It'll be even funnier when Donnie Edwards is on our roster and Dante Hall isn't when next season starts.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
A bit more on Edwards...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2794070

And even more!

http://chiefs.scout.com/2/625783.html

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8656/409020wz6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

stevieray
03-10-2007, 05:16 PM

]

easy to do when someone isn't looking, and don't underestimate Dante's lower body strength.

siberian khatru
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
It'll be even funnier when Donnie Edwards is on our roster and Dante Hall isn't when next season starts.

ROFL

Direckshun
03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Excellent signing.

He's solid, he'll fill that position well for at least two more years, and we're getting him cheap.

This is a great deal for the Chiefs.

Is it just me, or are we one great DT away from having a formidable front 7? WOW.

Logical
03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh well, if we get rid of Bell this will be an OK move. Not exactly a great move but not worth getting upset over.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Oh well, if we get rid of Bell this will be an OK move. Not exactly a great move but not worth getting upset over.

That's all we can really hope for these days...I always go into the offseason praying that Carl doesn't upset us.

Logical
03-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Excellent signing.

He's solid, he'll fill that position well for at least two more years, and we're getting him cheap.

This is a great deal for the Chiefs.

Is it just me, or are we one great DT away from having a formidable front 7? WOW.

I think that is an exaggeration, it might be close to being good, a long way from being great.

Nap Harris Good
DJohnson Potentially Great
D Edwards Solid almost good
J Allen basically great (has to learn self control)
Tamba Hall Potentially Great
Ron Edwards Average
Who will be our other DT?

Hard to say we are close to great

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Ron Edwards isn't even on the roster as of right now.

Hopefully we can sign Wilkerson, Edwards, Reed and Ian Scott. Maybe a rookie? I think that is the best we can hope for at DT.

L.A. Chieffan
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I think that is an exaggeration, it might be close to being good, a long way from being great.

Nap Harris Good
DJohnson Potentially Great
D Edwards Solid almost good
J Allen basically great (has to learn self control)
Tamba Hall Potentially Great
Ron Edwards Average
Who will be our other DT?

Hard to say we are close to great
I know we can trade Sims and Bell and move up and take Okoye. YEAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Oh wait. Nevermind.
:banghead: Im and idiot.

Chiefs=Champions
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
i say put ron edwards and a free agent in there prefably the browns dude. and then draft a pass rushing dt and we will be good

Mecca
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
We need to also think about drafting corners.......we're paying to much money to corners for what the cover 2 is.

Direckshun
03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
There is no hope for Ian Scott, guys.

We don't have the money, and he's the top DT right now. He's going to get paid by the truckload.

unothadeal
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM

Since everyone else is doing it:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

GrimReepa
03-10-2007, 06:11 PM

he may be old but those 3 years he can do wounders for the defence

Phobia
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Since everyone else is doing it:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

I don't want to give the guy credit any more than the rest of you do - possibly even less. But he hit on that one.

milkman
03-10-2007, 06:22 PM
To me, this signing , along with the others (McIntosh and Harris) represent the combination of Carl's desire to remain competitive and Herman ****ing Edwards' desire to get younger.

They are guys that can play, and help the team to remain competitive, and actually improve their respective positions, but whose contracts won't be cap choking when they find younger, better talent.

I would love to have blown up this roster and started fresh, but we all knew that wouldn't happen with Carl in charge.

This is a solid compromise approach.

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 06:23 PM
We're going to the Super Bowl

I agree.

Moon§hiner
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Haven't bothered to read every post, but after seeing the new love, I wish I had a dime for every "good riddance" post when he left. There'd be a 3 kegger at Moon's house tonight...lol

DenverChief
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM

You sir are a chucklehead mope

milkman
03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
I agree.

Uh.....Aren't you the guy who once complained about people "fixing" posts?

Frazod
03-10-2007, 06:29 PM
I assume this means Whiffmaster Mitchell will be sprinting past plays for somebody else next year. Cool. :grr:

DenverChief
03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
I assume this means Whiffmaster Mitchell will be sprinting past plays for somebody else next year. Cool. :grr:

LMAO

milkman
03-10-2007, 06:33 PM

This and the Harris signing pretty much ensures that both Kawika and Kendrell take the short bus out of town.

Direckshun
03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that.

You need what, six or seven LBs on a team?

Nobody's really looking at Mitchell, so we might retain him as a backup.

Bell's useless in this system, though. He won't be in Chiefs red next year.

milkman
03-10-2007, 06:42 PM
We'll keep Fox, Griffen, and Scanlon as depth, and special teamers.

eazyb81
03-10-2007, 06:46 PM
It's going to be more expensive to cut Bell than to keep him on the team for next season, so don't be so sure that he is gone.

That said, one thing that's definitely gone is his starting job.

Bwana
03-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Good move

Coogs
03-10-2007, 06:51 PM

:thumb:

Hammock Parties
03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
It's going to be more expensive to cut Bell than to keep him on the team for next season, so don't be so sure that he is gone.

That said, one thing that's definitely gone is his starting job.

I'm not so sure. Didn't he restructure?

Chargeroo
03-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Next year you'll get Marty back too - it's a package deal. First comes Donnie, then comes Marty. ROFL

Ebolapox
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
ya know... I realize we don't run a 3-4 defense, but wasn't rushing the passer what made kendrell bell a worthwhile free agency pickup?? now that we actually have a good linebacking crew, why don't we make him a situational pass rusher for a year if it costs too much to cut him--that way, if he has a ten sack year, we might be able to trade him/his big contract away and actually get SOMETHING for his worthless ass

Ebolapox
03-10-2007, 07:00 PM
STFU, chargeroo

Direckshun
03-10-2007, 07:04 PM
We'll keep Fox, Griffen, and Scanlon as depth, and special teamers.
SCANLON

03-10-2007, 07:04 PM
it's too bad Dick ran him out in the first place
fixed yer post

Ebolapox
03-10-2007, 07:05 PM
SCANLON

you bow down when you say the name of your god!11!eleven111!!!!!!

penchief
03-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I think they know what some of those guys are......Fox when he got to play didn't really impress, the Chiefs may have already made a decision about him being a starter.

Pollard may be a hybrid type player in this defense. Page is more suited to be a SS for a cover 2....it's nice to have hybrid guys who can do alot of different things where Pollard would play as much as a starter but it would require 2 other safeties and him not being listed as a starter.

Maybe part of what Edwards can bring to this defense is to groom Pollard to be the same type of linebacker. Maybe that's part of the thinking, too. I think Herm likes Pollard a lot but maybe sees him in a Donnie Edwards type role moreso than a Roy Williams type role.

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
so is donnie still a very efficient LB in this league? I haven't really paid attention.

TRR
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
On the Chargers forum, they are calling out Iowanian who supposedly went over to the SD forum when they signed DE, and told them how much he sucked...

Phobia
03-10-2007, 07:30 PM
On the Chargers forum, they are calling out Iowanian who supposedly went over to the SD forum when they signed DE, and told them how much he sucked...
He was wrong. He should go eat his crow.

unothadeal
03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
What's the Chargers forum?

chop
03-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Maybe part of what Edwards can bring to this defense is to groom Pollard to be the same type of linebacker. Maybe that's part of the thinking, too. I think Herm likes Pollard a lot but maybe sees him in a Donnie Edwards type role moreso than a Roy Williams type role.
Has anyone heard Gunther or Herm say that they are thinking about moving Pollard to LB?

I've heard this here several times but I haven't heard anyone employeed by the Chiefs say it.

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I assume this means Whiffmaster Mitchell will be sprinting past plays for somebody else next year. Cool. :grr:Yeah, now we'll have bareback donnie riding guys into the endzone. Yeehaa.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
so is donnie still a very efficient LB in this league? I haven't really paid attention.

Donnie had double the tackles of anyone else on the Chargers last season and the season before that. He is good in pass coverage. He is also good for a couple sacks and INTs every season. Everyone dogs on him because he isn't a devastating tackler, but his ability to get to the ball carrier very quickly and to nail down runners before they break off huge runs has been a huge asset to the Chargers.

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
I'll take Edwards. Now if the RB gets past the LBs we'll have one that can chase him down.

:)

Actually, Edwards on one side and DJ on the other really ups our speed. Edwards is a HUGE upgrade over Bell.

Bootlegged
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Greg Ro binson believes this is a mistake.

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I forgot to mention how amazed I am that we spent that much on a 34-year old linebacker.

I guess we didn't learn anything from Ty Law.

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

Bootlegged
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
I forgot to mention how amazed I am that we spent that much on a 34-year old linebacker.

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

How many tackles has he avg'd the last 3 years? What would your plan have been?

Extra Point
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Overpayment? Yes.

Fan draw? Yes.

Nothing like a signing that never really should happened. We should have kept him here all these years.

Ebolapox
03-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

honestly, I don't see this as a bank-breaking move at all... now, if this were a six year deal for 30 mill, I'd be pissed--but it's a three year, stop-gag move that prevents us from being forced to pick any particular position in the draft (just like the macintosh move was)

Chief Roundup
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I think this is a good move for the Chiefs. Donnie is always one of the league leaders in tackles. Not to mention this will mean that Donnie will retire a Chief. And that will probably also figures into what the total payment to Donnie will be against the cap.

Thinking Donnie probably plays 2 yrs and then retires.

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

I think the big difference is we know what we are getting with Edwards - at least we know what we had when he left.

And he has continued to perform at or close to the same level in SD that he did here.

Now, if we will only utilize him correctly.

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 08:01 PM
How many tackles has he avg'd the last 3 years? What would your plan have been?What does that have to do with his age right now? Players get slower as they get older. It's a fact. He will, and has probably already started to. Yeah, let's spend millions on a 34-year old. That makes a load of sense. I'm sure he has a load left in the tank.

Hey, I hope he does great. I hoped Ty Law would to.

These are the kinds of signings that good teams usually avoid.

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I think the big difference is we know what we are getting with Edwards - at least we know what we had when he leftWhat we had was an oversized free safety masquerading as a linebacker. Now we have an old oversized free safety masquerading as a linebacker.

'course, like always, he's deified here for whatever reason, so I know I'm falling on dead ears.

Maybe we'll just use him as a 4th backer in nickel situations, who knows. That might make some sense. Although you generally play guys you pay that much.

In the end, my opinion is that we need to be moving away from signings like this. Sign younger players heading up, not older players heading down. This almost reeks of a desperation signing, except of course it's March and not June.

I'll be shocked if he's still here in 2009. Hell, it may be long odds on him being here in 2008.

Hoover
03-10-2007, 08:11 PM
The reason the Edwars signing is such a big deal is because he will be the thrid best LB on the field. Its not like we are bringing him in to be the man, that Harris or DJ's job. I'm pumped about this.

TrickyNicky
03-10-2007, 08:16 PM
I never knew the reason he always wore sleeves was because he was allergic to grass... Interesting.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Yay, another stop-gap player!!! Carl "I'll never rebuild because we'll lose season ticket holders" Peterson strikes again!!!

By the way...

WHEN THE **** ARE WE GOING TO ADDRESS OUR DEFENSIVE TACKLE SITUATION?!?!?!?!

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 08:24 PM
What we had was an oversized free safety masquerading as a linebacker. Now we have an old oversized free safety masquerading as a linebacker.

'course, like always, he's deified here for whatever reason, so I know I'm falling on dead ears.

Maybe we'll just use him as a 4th backer in nickel situations, who knows. That might make some sense. Although you generally play guys you pay that much.

In the end, my opinion is that we need to be moving away from signings like this. Sign younger players heading up, not older players heading down. This almost reeks of a desperation signing, except of course it's March and not June.

I'll be shocked if he's still here in 2009. Hell, it may be long odds on him being here in 2008.

You just don't understand do you? With all the young players they are wanting to bring in, they need NAMES name, NAMES to sell the tickets. The list of people waiting for season tickets is gone - we need certified names that fans will pay to see. Bringing back an old favorite has to help!!!

:)

Actually, though I'm alright with Edwards, he never was my favorite. From what I remember, he got a lot of tackles from behind because people broke through the other tacklers. The season after he left though, there's no way Sharp gets to the endzone on that long play if Edwards had been on the field.

Eleazar
03-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Wow. I didn't really expect this.

I think the Chiefs are always going to take pretty much the opposite direction for the team as I think is best. In 04 I thought we needed to load up, they just stood pat. Here I thought we should implode the team and try to build with youth, stockpile picks, and we're signing free agents. :hmmm:

Bob Dole
03-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow. I didn't really expect this.

I think the Chiefs are always going to take pretty much the opposite direction for the team as I think is best. In 04 I thought we needed to load up, they just stood pat. Here I thought we should implode the team and try to build with youth, stockpile picks, and we're signing free agents. :hmmm:

We're not breaking the bank to sign the free agents. It's looking like we'll probably have a pretty high percentage of new starters next season. At what percentage do you consider it an "implosion"?

FDS
03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Poor Donnie is half Indian. He could have gotten horribly overpaid by Dan Snyder. Chief or Redskin. Donnie says, Dammit Carl :cuss:

First PBJ Down PBJ Samie

tommykat
03-10-2007, 08:41 PM
:clap:Glad to have him home! NOW, I can finally wear my jersey that is new from a few years ago......LOL, same number? Who care! :)

Bob Dole
03-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Are we going to install Field Turf so Donnie doesn't have to wear long sleeves every game?

tommykat
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Are we going to install Field Turf so Donnie doesn't have to wear long sleeves every game?

ROFLROFL

Simply Red
03-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Don't have a problem with this deal, solid for this market and he's still productive.

I don't haven an issue with older players who are econimically reasonable and still productive. You just can't have a whole team of them like we have in the past.

Whew! Thank god. I was wondering if you'd be okay with this. :o)

Chiefs Pantalones
03-10-2007, 08:50 PM
C'mon people, under Carl the Chiefs will never "rebuild." They're going about this with the attitude that you try to win now by putting together the foundation of a good defense, build your offense around the talents of LJ and Gonzo, get adequate, efficient QB play from a guy like Huard, and they're gonna compete while stockpiling young players through the draft...

We won't be any good with Huard, we might as well play for the future and put Brodie in there (which I think Herm is going to do anyway). Get ready for a 4 to 5 win season in 07, which I'm happy with. More draft picks the better.

Bob Dole
03-10-2007, 08:51 PM
We won't be any good with Huard...

True. We didn't win any games that he started in 2006.

morphius
03-10-2007, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure what I think of this, I have too many flash backs of Donnie running into the backfield only to miss the first tackle and then chase the guy down from behind and tackle him with the Safeties and CB's have the runner lined up. I always felt it padded his stats a bit too much.

Add in that he is 33, and that we just signed Harris as well, so now we have 2 people who have been playing ILB. But even at 33 he is an upgrade to Bell.

Of course none of this really matters because as of right now Sims (useless), Wilkerson (tweener) and Howard (who?) seem to be our only signed DT's.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-10-2007, 08:59 PM
To me, this signing , along with the others (McIntosh and Harris) represent the combination of Carl's desire to remain competitive and Herman ****ing Edwards' desire to get younger.

They are guys that can play, and help the team to remain competitive, and actually improve their respective positions, but whose contracts won't be cap choking when they find younger, better talent.

I would love to have blown up this roster and started fresh, but we all knew that wouldn't happen with Carl in charge.

And this is why we'll always be stuck in mediocre mode.

kcxiv
03-10-2007, 09:11 PM
We won't be any good with Huard, we might as well play for the future and put Brodie in there (which I think Herm is going to do anyway). Get ready for a 4 to 5 win season in 07, which I'm happy with. More draft picks the better.
i bet we win at least 7 games. He wont ask Brodie if he starts, to do anything crazy. He will gameplan like he did with Huard. Let the D keep us in the game. The D will be pretty damn good next year.

Logical
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM

I know in my heart you are right, but it still makes me angry that the Chiefs consider filling seat more important than winning championships.

milkman
03-10-2007, 09:16 PM
And this is why we'll always be stuck in mediocre mode.

This is a different approach than we've seen in the past.

Weve traded draft picks away in the past to fill holes and attempt to build, while at the same time signing big money free agents.

These guys aren't getting big money, and they aren't trading draft picks.

milkman
03-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I know in my heart you are right, but it still makes me angry that the Chiefs consider filling seat more important than winning championships.

Like I said, I would like to blow up the roster, but this is a compromise I can live with, especially if there is any validity to the rumor that Herman ****ing Edwards wants to make trades to pick up draft choices.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-10-2007, 09:19 PM
This is a different approach than we've seen in the past.

Weve traded draft picks away in the past to fill holes and attempt to build, while at the same time signing big money free agents.

These guys aren't getting big money, and they aren't trading draft picks.

The results will be the same as they've been for the last billion years because we have the same people running the show.

Logical
03-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I assume this means Whiffmaster Mitchell will be sprinting past plays for somebody else next year. Cool. :grr:Can't we hope both him and Bell are going to be gone.

ChiefaRoo
03-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Good signing. Donnie doesn't have to be a total run stuffer. He needs to play well in space and get Int's. If everything plays out right he'll be the third best LB on the field as was said earlier and that's a huge upgrade to this D. We do need DT's and more DT's right now and then this Defense has some serious potential.

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Can't we hope both him and Bell are going to be gone.

It just dawned on me. I remember listening to Mitchel in an interview after the Colts loss talk about how certain players on the team weren't giving effort on the field, the coaching staff knew who they were and he (Mitchell) hoped they wouldn't be back next season.

Wonder how that interview feels to him now.

ChiefaRoo
03-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Mitchell gave great effort. He's just not very good.

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
It just dawned on me. I remember listening to Mitchel in an interview after the Colts loss talk about how certain players on the team weren't giving effort on the field, the coaching staff knew who they were and he (Mitchell) hoped they wouldn't be back next season.

Wonder how that interview feels to him now.

Found it...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3832844

(And bumped it):)

FDS
03-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Good signing. Donnie doesn't have to be a total run stuffer. He needs to play well in space and get Int's. If everything plays out right he'll be the third best LB on the field as was said earlier and that's a huge upgrade to this D. We do need DT's and more DT's right now and then this Defense has some serious potential.

I don't think he drops sure INTs like Law and Surtain did last season.

First PBJ Down PBJ Samie

Logical
03-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Actually I read the Chiefs are considering it for financial reasons. I doubt if it will be this year though, probably next as part of the overall upgrades to the stadium.

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

How is 4.5 million a year for a Pro Bowl starting linebacker who's never been injured in his career overpaying? The salary cap is $109 million this year and will like approach $130 million in the final year of his contract. I certainly wouldn't call that overpaying.

Ty Law was one season removed from major surgery. I don't quite see the parallel. The other guys you mentioned were never Pro Bowlers (and Cadrez was league minimum).

Donnie's a very good football player. You can never have too many.

DaneMcCloud
03-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Yeah, Huard's 6-3 record this past season proves that he just can't lead a team. :rolleyes:

PastorMikH
03-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Actually I read the Chiefs are considering it for financial reasons. I doubt if it will be this year though, probably next as part of the overall upgrades to the stadium.

Will it be to save $ on field maintenance or save cap $ with injury settlements with our high-priced players? (Or both?)

Messier
03-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Or Marvcus Patton.

Or Lew Bush.

Or Glenn Cadrez.

Lew Bush, sure. Glenn Cadrez most definitely, but you lump in Marvcus Patton? He gave us several very good years.

Logical
03-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Will it be to save $ on field maintenance or save cap $ with injury settlements with our high-priced players? (Or both?)The article did not get that specific, but my understanding is that it is cheaper than maintaining a grass field, which is one of the reason our HS here had it installed. By the way that stuff is wonderful, feels just like grass to walk on and is about the same to the touch, handles a lot of water quite well as well, other than the lush color it also pretty much has the same look as a George Toma maintained grass field.

boogblaster
03-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Glad Edwards came back to retire a Chief..he's quality thru & thru ....

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
How is 4.5 million a year for a Pro Bowl starting linebacker who's never been injured in his career overpaying? The salary cap is $109 million this year and will like approach $130 million in the final year of his contract. I certainly wouldn't call that overpaying.

Ty Law was one season removed from major surgery. I don't quite see the parallel. The other guys you mentioned were never Pro Bowlers (and Cadrez was league minimum).

Donnie's a very good football player. You can never have too many.

The Chiefs' cap this year is actually 117 million after adjustments.

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
How is 4.5 million a year for a Pro Bowl starting linebacker who's never been injured in his career overpaying? ROFL, Pro Bowl starting linebacker. ROFL

To reiterate something I just posted elsewhere, that was 4 years ago, and the only reason he was at the game at all was because Al Wilson and our own board whippin' dude Kendrell Bell were injured.

He's 34 frikkin year's old. That's ridiculous for a player of his age, regardless of the position.

Orlandochiefsgrl
03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
unlike Bell, he is hardly injured, and still leads his team in tackles.

Orlandochiefsgrl
03-11-2007, 12:07 AM
so there

Eleazar
03-11-2007, 12:17 AM
We're not breaking the bank to sign the free agents. It's looking like we'll probably have a pretty high percentage of new starters next season. At what percentage do you consider it an "implosion"?

I'm ok with this. Just amazed year after year when they never do what i expect.

milkman
03-11-2007, 12:19 AM
so there

That's tellin' him!

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 12:22 AM
unlike Bell, he is hardly injured, and still leads his team in tackles.

so thereWell, that and 4.5 million a year might get us back to 9-7.

And I never said I like Bell. He should've been gone last offseason.

Hootie
03-11-2007, 01:43 AM
ya know... I realize we don't run a 3-4 defense, but wasn't rushing the passer what made kendrell bell a worthwhile free agency pickup?? now that we actually have a good linebacking crew, why don't we make him a situational pass rusher for a year if it costs too much to cut him--that way, if he has a ten sack year, we might be able to trade him/his big contract away and actually get SOMETHING for his worthless ass
I don't agree with the 'trade' part, but maybe JUST MAYBE Bell would be good as a situational pass rusher...I think we take a nice size cap hit if we release the dude...so it won't hurt to have a little depth...Bell showed A FEW signs of life last year, not many, but a few.

Hootie
03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Hahahahahahahahahaha!

We were better with Huard last year then we were with Green and we made the playoffs.

THERE GOES THAT THEORY

Hootie
03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
This is a fantastic signing.

And anyone who still thinks Croyle has any chance to start next year is a total ****ing idiot. The end.

|Zach|
03-11-2007, 01:48 AM
You folks will be so disappointed with our good season next year. You won't even know what to do with yourself.

Hammock Parties
03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Vanilla Thunder is playing a part.

shrek6849
03-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Congrats to Carl on selling some more tickets. Bravo. No one is better.

TRR
03-11-2007, 02:02 AM
ROFL, Pro Bowl starting linebacker. ROFL

To reiterate something I just posted elsewhere, that was 4 years ago, and the only reason he was at the game at all was because Al Wilson and our own board whippin' dude Kendrell Bell were injured.

He's 34 frikkin year's old. That's ridiculous for a player of his age, regardless of the position.

Donnie Edwards put up better overall stats last year than any other LB KC currently has in their career. 34 years old or not, Edwards has always been in great physical condition, and still has the speed to play. I don't care what you think, the guy could be a productive LB until he is 38.

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Donnie Edwards put up better overall stats last year than any other LB KC currently has in their career. 34 years old or not, Edwards has always been in great physical condition, and still has the speed to play. I don't care what you think, the guy could be a productive LB until he is 38.I liked this so much I'm going to say it again...I'm not sure it's any kind of lock he'll play at a high level here. He won't have anything approaching the sort of talent the Chargers put around him. There's nobody on the line even in the same hemisphere as Jamal Williams, and Castillo and Olshansky are probably both as good or better than anyone we have. All due respect to DJ, he's nowhere close to Shawne Merriman yet. Shaun Phillips, their other OLB, had 11 sacks and 4 FF last year.

To me, Edwards has always been one of those players who needs a strong team around him to elevate his play. Here in KC, when he had DT next to him, and a decent line in front of him, he was a good player. When we didn't, when the D was collapshing between '99 and '01, he was at best an average player.

And I think that's what we're going to get from him from now on. We're going to pay millions for unspectacular play from an old player, one we're probably going to count on as a difference maker. I think he'll be exposed, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I see this playing out a lot like Law last season.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Vanilla Thunder is playing a part.

The Chiefs are going to suck, we're going to suck, everything sucks my balls. Herm should concede the season.

(SHHHH!!!! quiet!!!!)

Hammock Parties
03-11-2007, 02:06 AM
San Diego doesn't run a Cover 2.

Logical
03-11-2007, 02:10 AM
Donnie Edwards put up better overall stats last year than any other LB KC currently has in their career. 34 years old or not, Edwards has always been in great physical condition, and still has the speed to play. I don't care what you think, the guy could be a productive LB until he is 38.

I am not sure what precedent you have to base such a bizarre statement. I think Kyle is more than likely correct, age is going to slow him down.

TRR
03-11-2007, 02:11 AM
I liked this so much I'm going to say it again...

Boy your right....That Chargers D was really loaded in 2002, and especially in 2003 when SD went 4-12! Donnie only had 161 tackles, a sack, and two INT's that season. Or when they were great in 2002 when he had 130 tackles, 5 INT's, and 1 TD. A lot of talent around him...

LOL!! :) ROFL

Archie Bunker
03-11-2007, 02:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16878611.htm

Chiefs get Edwards back
Linebacker returns to KC after agreeing on a three-year deal.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Linebacker Donnie Edwards, who began his NFL career with the Chiefs, now appears destined to finish it with them, too.

Edwards and the Chiefs agreed to terms Saturday on a three-year contract worth about $13.5 million. Edwards will replace Kendrell Bell as the starter at one outside linebacker position.

The other outside linebacker is Derrick Johnson. The recently signed Napoleon Harris will start at middle linebacker.

Edwards began his career with the Chiefs as a fourth-round draft pick in 1996. He became a starter in his second season and was immediately their most productive linebacker.

He also became one of their most popular players until he was released after the 2001 season. The Chiefs didn’t believe at the time he was worth his salary.

Edwards quickly signed with San Diego and played five strong seasons for the Chargers. The Chiefs, meanwhile, have tried to replace him ever since.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said that even though Edwards is from San Diego and played at UCLA, it was always awkward watching him play for the Chargers. Peterson indicated it would have been tough to watch him play for any other team except the Chiefs.

“Letting him go was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made,” Peterson said. “I let our defensive coordinator (Greg Robinson) and our head coach (Dick Vermeil) talk me into it. I regretted it ever since. I think even Dick admitted later it was a mistake. Every time we played against Donnie, he hurt us. It was a bad move by us.

“He’s excited about coming back to Kansas City. He knows what Kansas City is all about. He’s very happy about being able to come back here and finish his career with the Chiefs. He always loved it here.”

Edwards is vacationing in Italy. His agent, Tom Condon, was unavailable.

The addition of Edwards runs counter to the plans of Peterson and head coach Herm Edwards to energize the Chiefs — particularly on defense — with youth. Harris, for instance, is 28 and headed, presumably, into the prime of his career.

Edwards will be 34 next month. Though he showed no signs of slowing down last season, the Chargers made no effort to re-sign Edwards when he became a free agent.

“Getting younger is important,” Peterson said. “But it’s also important to get the appropriate amount of veteran leadership. This was an opportunity Herm was pleased about. He will be competitive on the field and help us. Donnie has always played at a high level and kept himself in great shape. He can certainly give us another three years here. That’s what we’re looking for.”

Bell joined the Chiefs as part of the wave of high-profile defensive additions two years ago. But even though he was a starter, Bell never had the impact for the Chiefs that he did for his previous team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Bell has a scheduled base salary of slightly more than $3 million for 2007, but Peterson said Bell wouldn’t be released.

“He will still be with us,” Peterson said. “He gives our defense the versatility to do a lot of different things. Kendrell has displayed many times when he was with Pittsburgh that he’s a terrific pass rusher. (Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham) has some plans for him to do that. I’m sure they will find a place for Kendrell also. This gives Gunther some additional firepower and options that I’m sure he will take advantage of.”

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 02:16 AM
I don't remember the personnel, but I'd venture a guess that 2002 bolts defense was more talented than we've had in some time.

And even if it wasn't, nothing pads meaningless stats like tackles more than playing on a bad defense.

I mean, nobody would know that better than Donnie Edwards, the bareback ball-carrier riding, bring-em-down-eventually-if-you-can king of meaningless stats, back when he and Marvcus Patton were posting back to back 100+ tackle years here, while the whole unit was spiraling down the shitter and we were on the verge of some of the worst D's in NFL history.

Direckshun
03-11-2007, 02:17 AM
So Kendrell stays. Interesting.

No mention of Mitchell at all, though.

TRR
03-11-2007, 02:19 AM
I don't remember the personnel, but I'd venture a guess that 2002 bolts defense was more talented than we've had in some time.

And even if it wasn't, nothing pads meaningless stats like tackles more than playing on a bad defense.

I mean, nobody would know that better than Donnie Edwards, the bareback ball-carrier riding, bring-em-down-eventually-if-you-can king of meaningless stats, back when he and Marvcus Patton were posting back to back 100+ tackle years here, while the whole unit was spiraling down the shitter and we were were on the verge of some of the worst D's in NFL history.

So his stats were good because he had talent around him, yet they were padded in 2002/2003, because he was on average defense at best??? Which one is it???

Your funny! ROFL

Direckshun
03-11-2007, 02:20 AM

I mean, nobody would know that better than Donnie Edwards, the bareback ball-carrier riding, bring-em-down-eventually-if-you-can king of meaningless stats, back when he and Marvcus Patton were posting back to back 100+ tackle years here, while the whole unit was spiraling down the shitter and we were were on the verge of some of the worst D's in NFL history.
I'm getting sick of the negative hype on Edwards.

When Edwards was putting up numbers when the Chiefs defense had DT and was respectable, it's because he needed a good defense surrounding him.

When Edwards was putting up numbers when the Chiefs defense became a joke, it's because he's putting up meaningless statistics on a bad defense.

Yet every single time we played the Chargers, he hurt us. He makes tackles, he gnabs interceptions, he creates havoc.

The criticism is unwarranted. He has put up numbers his entire career, because he's adaptable, he's smart, and he's good at what he does. Which is more than you can say about the critics around CP.

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 02:26 AM
The problem with the Chargers defense has been against the pass, not against the run, because while they've hit on players in the front 7, they've consistently missed in the secondary. There's a reason you haven't seen me mention any cornerbacks and safeties. I pointed out that the strength of the unit was the front seven, proposing that the quality of that unit would make Edwards a better player. I think that was as true in 2002 as it was in 2006.

The point about tackles stands. I think it's a meaningless stat. I've said that here for, what, 6 years now? Players on defenses that struggle in some way or another will often have inflated numbers because they're on the field so much.

Anyway, I have yet to see you make a real point. Is this just some personal crusade or something? Don't like it because I'm not Donnie Edwards' number 1 fan or something? This some personal insult, like me saying I don't like him is somehow a slant on you?

Well, I just don't think it's a good signing. I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.

Logical
03-11-2007, 02:26 AM
It is obvious to me that Carl has done what he is best at convince people to fill those seats. Facing facts KC fans are satisfied with average and really won't stand for the suffering it would take to truly build a great team. All this love for Donnie Edwards (I get all those 5 yard down the field tackles) proves it to me.

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 02:33 AM
The criticism is unwarranted. He has put up numbers his entire career, because he's adaptable, he's smart, and he's good at what he does. Which is more than you can say about the critics around CP.You know, if you'd have left that last part out, you would've been fine.

What the hell is up with everybody taking this shit so personally?

I am not a fan of Donnie Edwards. I've never hidden that. I'm saying exactly the same kind of things now I said in 2001. I'm sorry, but I haven't ever seen this great game-changing stud linebacker.

As it stands, despite that, if we'd signed him for this contract back then, when he was 28 or 29, I'd probably have been okay with it. But we didn't, and we're talking about a 34-year old linebacker. Unless he's the linebacker equivalent of Jerry Rice, his career is probably all but over. These guys don't play into their late 30s.

This, to me, as I've said over and over and over and over is the kind of move the Chiefs make constantly, that virtually never, ever work out. We spend money on over-the-hill players, hoping to squeeze the last ounce of play out of them. And usually, it ends up being the last gasp before they're set out to pasture.

And I'm done with Donnie Edwards. There's not much more to say that I haven't said already. We'll see how this works out in the next year or two. I certainly hope he plays like god on wheels and this ends up being the best FA signing here since Priest Holmes.

Direckshun
03-11-2007, 02:54 AM
In our defense, we didn't spend that much on the guy.

CHENZ A!
03-11-2007, 02:56 AM
yip ****ing eeee, we get Donnie bac 5 yrs too late.

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 03:00 AM
In our defense, we didn't spend that much on the guy.What about our defense?

Oh wait.

I guess I had one last thing to say: I'll be less...concerned about this signing if bringing him in doesn't preclude us from acquiring a quality defensive tackle and maybe a corner.

But if he's it, and the only other changes on thee unit come in the draft, I just don't like it. I get carl's point about needing veterans, but what we need are good players who are going to give us years of play. And, really, how many veterans do we need, after bringing in Knight, and then Surtain, and then Law?

We'll see. I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl if he exceeds my expectations. Which frankly shouldn't be hard to do.

Direckshun
03-11-2007, 03:06 AM
I don't know if we'll be able to bring in a quality DT, but I don't think it has anything to do with Donnie.

James Reed is about as good as the market is these days this side of Ian Scott, who's a pretty good DT but is going to get serious money because of the few options.

Who're you looking for? McKinley? Boone? Resignings of Reed or Wilkerson?

beer bacon
03-11-2007, 03:08 AM
What about our defense?

Oh wait.

I guess I had one last thing to say: I'll be less...concerned about this signing if bringing him in doesn't preclude us from acquiring a quality defensive tackle and maybe a corner.

But if he's it, and the only other changes on thee unit come in the draft, I just don't like it. I get carl's point about needing veterans, but what we need are good players who are going to give us years of play. And, really, how many veterans do we need, after bringing in Knight, and then Surtain, and then Law?

We'll see. I'll be giddy as a schoolgirl if he exceeds my expectations. Which frankly shouldn't be hard to do.

We should still have cap room. We got quite a boost when our cap adjustment pushed up to 117 million. If we do actually unload Trent in a trade that should help as well. That doesn't actually mean that the Lamars/Carl will be willing to spend that money.

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure there's anything we could do, to be honest. If Allen's a major upgrade and would take serious money, then that's what we need to do. The James Reeds of the world don't need to be starters, they need to be rotation guys. That goes for every defensive tackle we have. We have depth, but no starters, and it's been that way for years. We keep cycling out everybody behind them, thinking that will fix the problem, and it never does.

Part of the problem is that we spent all those draft picks at tackle, and they didn't pan out. But whatever the cause, the result is that we have a major weakness at the heart of the defense, and instead of doing a bypass, we're giving the defense Lasik surgery. Problem not solved...

The defense seems to have the opposite problem of the offense, for whatever reason. We seem to be fine spending money on o-line, but let the skill positions deteriorate, wheras on defense, we spend on the back 7 and let the line deteriorate.

Part of this is my belief that games are won and lost in the trenches, and no amount of DJ's, Harris', Edwards', Surtains and Laws are going to make a bit of difference if the offensive line pancakes the front 4 all game long, or are able to focus on stuffing Hali and Allen.

CHENZ A!
03-11-2007, 03:19 AM
I guess the Pats did think Seau had somethng left......

Easy 6
03-11-2007, 12:13 PM
In terms of athleticism & smarts Donnie is a big upgrade over Bell. Edwards isnt a hammer, but he is a playmaker & i'm willing to bet he has atleast 1 more good run in him.

Solid signing IMO.

Shamrock
03-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Next year you'll get Marty back too - it's a package deal. First comes Donnie, then comes Marty. ROFL

:clap:

The Squaws are rummaging through San Diego's garbage. They even signed McIntosh to be their left tackle. Next up ..... Leander Jordan.

CupidStunt
03-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Then there's Norv Turner...ROFL

Hammock Parties
03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Then there's Norv Turner...ROFL

The Chargers are rummaging through their OWN garbage.

|Zach|
03-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Turner is 0-5 against the Chiefs as a head coach

Hammock Parties
03-12-2007, 02:46 PM

To be fair, I'm guessing he has a losing record against every team.

FAX
03-12-2007, 02:57 PM

That's the best news I've heard all day.

Does Mr. Skip Towne know about this?

FAX

Iowanian
03-12-2007, 03:15 PM

Really. I'll have to check into that soon. Lets clarify that these are Eggo fans...and likely the same yuckleheads that think there are bunts in football.

I have said and I stand by it that I didn't like Donnie Edwards as a Mike in ANY defense. He makes alot of tackles, but I'm on board with the not appreciating them being 5 yards downfield crowd.

I stand by that.

I'm not a big fan of his signing, but I do concede that he's an improvement over Bell at OLB, particularly in coverage and with his speed, he'll get in on alot of clean up tackles. In that sense, he's an upgrade.

I'm not in the "woo hoo we got Edwards back" crowd. I do think he'll be a serviceable OLB in the Cover2. I like him better in that spot than the Mike.