PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next move for the chiefs?

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
Well I think they've done a pretty good job this season with free agent moves. Signing a LT, a young MLB to replace Mitchell, bringing in Edwards back to his roots who has several good years left, signing a young long snapper. Letting Jordan Black run. Signing Huard to a 3 year deal and granting Green permission a trade.
It seems now that our holes are RT, WR, DT.
I'm wondering if you think we will sign a DT and go first round at WR and make due with what we have at RT or what?
-All comments and views are welcomed-

StcChief
03-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I'd like to think #1 it's a DT. WR #2.

BPA most likely. though.

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 10:34 PM
yeah i would believe a DT is our number 1 concern

KCinNY
03-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe trade up for Okoye, but that's unlikely.

Best available athletes at WR or DT in the early rounds.

Skip Towne
03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
LA?

L.A. Chieffan
03-10-2007, 10:40 PM
LA?
Me?

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I think we need to let Hall go as well

Direckshun
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
This team will likely draft a DT on the first day.

I'm guessing Herm's going to trade our 23rd pick away and probably a major player for multiple picks on the first day. A late 1st or two, and a small handful of 2nds.

DT looks real thin this year, but there are always surprise busts and overachievers, so I bet Herm goes DT a couple times in the draft.

As far as DT free agency, he'll gnab a couple of the better guys on the market. I'd say we're still the front runners for all Wilkerson, Reed, and Edwards, with a decent shot at McKinley.

beer bacon
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
From what I have read, it seems that the coaches want Chris Terry to be the starter at RT next season.

Hoover
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't want to see the Chiefs use their top draft pick on a WR. I'd rather see it be used on the best offensive or defensive lineman on the board.

I think the Chiefs should try and get some WR help via Free Agency. I think Stallworth would be ideal, but I don't think we have to spend that much to have an impact. I think renting a guy like Eric Moulds for a year to start oppsite of Kennison might be our best option.

StcChief
03-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I think we need to let Hall go as well
Would like to see Webb take that role. Not sure our cap hit with DanteHall yet. May need to keep him in 07 or trade..

Our ST have not protected him or is he making bad choices.....

milkman
03-10-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't want to see the Chiefs use their top draft pick on a WR. I'd rather see it be used on the best offensive or defensive lineman on the board.

Reaching for needs is how the Chiefs wound up with so many draft busts, and one of the reasons the Chiefs have sucked for as long as they have.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Raise the ticket prices? :shrug:

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Los Angeles.

HIYOOOOOOOOOOO

Ultra Peanut
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
LA?Oh, goddamnit.

Hoover
03-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I didn't say they should reach for anyone. Hell none of us know who the hell is even going to be there when we pick, so does that me we can't discuss our wants?

If a great talent falls of course we take them, it seems so obviouse to me I didn't want to waste my time typing it. I forgot how word sensative some people are around here. I think our biggest need is DT. I'm from the camp that says just take the best DT on the board becase we have wasted way too many high draft picks on that one position over the years.

As I've said before, this team is being built to look like the Ravens or Bears, not the 2001-2005 chiefs. We are going to play solid D and run the ball. To play that brand of ball we need Oline and a D lineman.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I didn't say they should reach for anyone. Hell none of us know who the hell is even going to be there when we pick, so does that me we can't discuss our wants?

If a great talent falls of course we take them, it seems so obviouse to me I didn't want to waste my time typing it. I forgot how word sensative some people are around here. I think our biggest need is DT. I'm from the camp that says just take the best DT on the board becase we have wasted way too many high draft picks on that one position over the years.

As I've said before, this team is being built to look like the Ravens or Bears, not the 2001-2005 chiefs. We are going to play solid D and run the ball. To play that brand of ball we need Oline and a D lineman.
But why don't you want the best player available?

Just kidding!

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
"probowler Edwards...who has several good years left".

Interesting take on a 34-year old guy who, voted as a second-alternate for the Pro Bowl in 2002 (the 2003 game...), was an injury replacement behind not one, but two players, one of them being...

wait for it...

Kendrell Bell.

(the other was Al Wilson)

If Edwards has "several good years left" it'll be a miracle. Hopefully he'll mentor someone we draft to replace him by midseason.

And Nap Harris is 28. Not exactly young, but not old either. Hopefully he pans out.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I would still hope we draft Posluzny or Willis if they are the best available when we pick.

KCwolf
03-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Los Angeles.

HIYOOOOOOOOOOO

Buffalo will beat KC to the LA market ..... U watch. Look at their off-season moves...they've lost they're best offensive and defensive player and truly don't care......KC fans - it could be waaay worse.

el borracho
03-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Who is neg-repping the wolf and why?

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 11:37 PM
So "keg in kc" are you telling me it was a mistake to replace Bell with Donnie Edwards?

keg in kc
03-10-2007, 11:42 PM
So "keg in kc" are you telling me it was a mistake to replace Bell with Donnie Edwards?Replacing Bell is not a mistake. Signing Edwards is, in my opinion.

That money should go to a younger player. We need to stop shelling out significant contract money to guys on the wrong side of 30. That's not a smart way to build a team, and Edwards is way, way, way on the wrong side of 30.

And you can call me keg or Kyle or whatever the hell you want. I answer to about anything.

dj56dt58
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
We're gonna take what has been such a nice offseason so far and **** it up by signing Jake Plummer to a 10 year deal :banghead: :cuss:

chiefbowe82
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
ok kyle, but we only signed him to a 3 year deal to finish his carear out here...... and in the mean time we can get another LB when he's about to go out the door. I think he's a good fit at this time and I really don't know who else would have fit there in your age requirement. He was playing at a very high level last year and I'm sure he will do the same next season, without a big descend in his play.

milkman
03-11-2007, 12:07 AM
ok kyle, but we only signed him to a 3 year deal to finish his carear out here...... and in the mean time we can get another LB when he's about to go out the door. I think he's a good fit at this time and I really don't know who else would have fit there in your age requirement. He was playing at a very high level last year and I'm sure he will do the same next season, without a big descend in his play.

It's a 3 year deal, but only 7.5 mil is gauanteed.

They can draft a repalcement this year, or next, cut him after the end of the '08 season and it's only about a 2.3 mil cap hit.

And like most contracts, it's probably backloaded.
So his numbers for the first two years are probably less than the 4.5 mil.

In the meantime, he fills a hole and the Chiefs can address other concerns in this draft.

If a LB falls into their spot, then yeah, take him.

Chiefs=Champions
03-11-2007, 12:57 AM
From what I have read, it seems that the coaches want Chris Terry to be the starter at RT next season.

Where have you read this? (just interested)

keg in kc
03-11-2007, 01:12 AM
ok kyle, but we only signed him to a 3 year deal to finish his carear out here...... and in the mean time we can get another LB when he's about to go out the door. I think he's a good fit at this time and I really don't know who else would have fit there in your age requirement. He was playing at a very high level last year and I'm sure he will do the same next season, without a big descend in his play.I'm not sure it's any kind of lock he'll play at a high level here. He won't have anything approaching the sort of talent the Chargers put around him. There's nobody on the line even in the same hemisphere as Jamal Williams, and Castillo and Olshansky are probably both as good or better than anyone we have. All due respect to DJ, he's nowhere close to Shawne Merriman yet. Shaun Phillips, their other OLB, had 11 sacks and 4 FF last year.

To me, Edwards has always been one of those players who needs a strong team around him to elevate his play. Here in KC, when he had DT next to him, and a decent line in front of him, he was a good player. When we didn't, when the D was collapshing between '99 and '01, he was at best an average player.

And I think that's what we're going to get from him from now on. We're going to pay millions for unspectacular play from an old player, one we're probably going to count on as a difference maker. I think he'll be exposed, and I think a lot of people will be disappointed. I see this playing out a lot like Law last season.

And I didn't mean to imply that we should've spent the money on another LB. I think the best approach would have been to sign or trade for the best DT (or pair of DTs) we could find. I think that's the real weak spot on the defense right now, along with, potentially, cornerback. But we've spent a lot at corner and you can't keep spending on one spot without weaking yourself elsewhere...

And maybe we will sign a tackle.

Archie Bunker
03-11-2007, 02:02 AM
If the visits tell me anything the next 2 signings will be DT and nickel CB.

As far as your other questions. I think the Chiefs are gambling on Terry at RT and they will go with a WR in the first.

Direckshun
03-11-2007, 02:22 AM
I don't think they're gambling on Terry.

Terry's a proven RT. He was a great signing.