PDA

View Full Version : Just How Screwed Are We?

FAX
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Old Players, Young and Unproven Players, Overpriced Players, No DTs, Knuckle-Head Coach, Megalomaniacal General Manager, Cover None Defense, New Simplified Offense, Locker Room Cancers, Rising Nacho Prices, et al.

To my mind, it adds up to one simple and undeniable fact, we're screwed.

Anyway, I wondered if any of the Planeteers agree with me on this and, if so, just how screwed do you think we are? Will we be competitive during Herm's tenure? Will we create a young team that has potential for the future? Will we remain a mediocre franchise? Will we ascend?

Please advise and pass the ass salve.

FAX

Disclaimers: Sorry if repost.

88TG88
03-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Will we create a young team that has potential for the future? .
I think so

Extra Point
03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
But it's Okaaayyyy!!!!!!

unothadeal
03-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Pretty sure this has been brought up in almost every thread

suds79
03-12-2007, 04:39 PM
I fully expected 1 or 2 rebuilding years so yeah I'd say pretty screwed and not that concerned about it.

We had our shot. It didn't work. Time to rebuild and they're doing that.

|Zach|
03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
I think we field a solid team next year.

Bob Dole
03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Bob Dole will not be happy until we decide we're not ever going to punt if we've crossed midfield.

So we're screwed.

FAX
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure this has been brought up in almost every thread

Of course you're right, Mr. kdog414141. I should have known better. Please know that I had considered starting a thread on modern criticism of Post-Keynesian macroeconomics, but I thought I recalled you covering that in detail in an earlier thread. As punishment, allow me to suggest that you consider playing singles handball for an hour or so.

Meanwhile, show me one single thread referencing a Faustian Bargain Hunter.

FAX

Extra Point
03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Just imagine Hank Stram saying, "We're screwed, boys. Don't bother matriculating that ball down the field, Lenny!"

Defense=NFC

Offense=AFC

"And that's the way it is."

Zebedee DuBois
03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I feel the need to nit pick. Here are the nits.

The poll options are not presented in a progressive or linear fashion.
For instance, I would say that pretty screwed is more screwed than somewhat screwed. Or....screwed, but OKkkaaay is not as dire as situation as being Faustianly screwed....and I would just rather not think about a Gaz screwing at all.

unothadeal
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Of course you're right, Mr. kdog414141. I should have known better. Please know that I had considered starting a thread on modern criticism of Post-Keynesian macroeconomics, but I thought I recalled you covering that in detail in an earlier thread. As punishment, allow me to suggest that you consider playing singles handball for an hour or so.

Meanwhile, show me one single thread referencing a Faustian Bargain Hunter.

FAX
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159707

There you go

bogie
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
I feel we have a better chance to ascend than we do to remain mediocre. The odds are in our favor since we've been mediocre for so long. I choose to believe this.

alpha_omega
03-12-2007, 04:50 PM
WOW Fax!!!...shouldn't you have signed this one "FAX the pessimist"!

Bugeater
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
We're so screwed that we couldn't unscrew ourselves on our unscrewingest day even if we had an electrified unscrewing machine.

Extra Point
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Jimi's just watchin' his KC SB 2008-2012 tickets burn!!!

Extra Point
03-12-2007, 04:56 PM
The breaker popped on the electrified un-screwing machine!

FAX
03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
WOW Fax!!!...shouldn't you have signed this one "FAX the pessimist"!

Probably should have, Mr. alpha_omega. Honestly, I'm not seeing a clear path to success here. I hope I'm wrong, of course. If love for the Chiefs were mescal, I would have the biggest worm collection within 500 miles.

Maybe if we win a game next year, or score a touchdown, or try and win on the road, I'll feel better. But right now, I'm concerned about our direction, or lack thereof.

Perhaps that's why I posted this horrible thread. Maybe my subconscious mind is seeking a reason to believe.

FAX THE WAITING FOR A MISS DEAF TEXAS MOMENT

Deberg_1990
03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Anyway, I wondered if any of the Planeteers agree with me on this and, if so, just how screwed do you think we are? Will we be competitive during Herm's tenure? Will we create a young team that has potential for the future? Will we remain a mediocre franchise? Will we ascend?

im not the biggest Herm fan in the world but lets at least give the guy a chance. Hes already accomplished just as much as Vermeil ever did in one season if you think about it.

vailpass
03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
FAX THE WAITING FOR A MISS DEAF TEXAS MOMENT

ROFL Cold but hilarious.

FAX
03-12-2007, 05:20 PM
im not the biggest Herm fan in the world but lets at least give the guy a chance. Hes already accomplished just as much as Vermeil ever did in one season if you think about it.

You're probably right, Mr. Deberg_1990. Actually, recognizing the fact that Planeteers are renown for their gridiron insight and acumen, it's good to see that most people think we're either Not Too Screwed or just Pretty Screwed.

Maybe my problem is that I just don't see the plan, here. It's sad for me to see great players like Trent get cast aside as we sign linebackers and wait for DTs to drop from the sky like giant, frozen, pass rushing hailstones.

FAX

Deberg_1990
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe my problem is that I just don't see the plan, here. It's sad for me to see great players like Trent get cast aside as we sign linebackers and wait for DTs to drop from the sky like giant, frozen, pass rushing hailstones.

FAX

Trent can still play and win a few games but hes not going to lead a team to the promised land. I gurantee it. SO whats the point of keeping him?

The Chiefs look to me like they really want to give Croyle every oppurtunity to win the starting job. A young talented QB with a great arm..ISnt that what Chiefs fans have wanted for about 30 years now???

As for the linebackers, we needed an upgrade over Mitchell and Bell...They just were not getting it done.

Mr. Laz
03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
our best players are old or due/want money

our highest paid players suck or are retiring for the most part.

our coaching staff is very suspect and largely unproven.

might as well smile cause we are gettin screwed.

boogblaster
03-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Screwed as in middle of the pack..with nothing but higher ticket and beer prices too look for ....

Archie Bunker
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I think we are unscrewed.

Herm will be build a good young team and if he doesn't get it done then Carl and him will ride off into the sunset leaving a new gm and coach a good foundation to build on.

I think it is setting up perfectly.

BucEyedPea
03-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Awe! I feel for you guys.
Now you know what it's like being a Buc fan!
I feel your pain.

FAX
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Trent can still play and win a few games but hes not going to lead a team to the promised land. I gurantee it. SO whats the point of keeping him?

The Chiefs look to me like they really want to give Croyle every oppurtunity to win the starting job. A young talented QB with a great arm..ISnt that what Chiefs fans have wanted for about 30 years now???

As for the linebackers, we needed an upgrade over Mitchell and Bell...They just were not getting it done.

True on both counts, Mr. Deberg_1990. Still, it was generally agreed that our linebackers were serviceable while our DTs were not. Of course, the argument could be made that our LB corp wasn't suited for the Cover 2, but I still wonder if they would not have performed better had we had a defensive line that could get a better push than a 1947 woolen braziere. At this point, I can only hope that we find and sign some impact players for the lines. You have to build a team around the lines, in my opinion.

As far as Trent is concerned, if I had my wish, I'd prefer that he stay and tutor our young QB rather than move on. He would have a lot to offer in that regard. But, then again, Trent apparently isn't suited for our new offense - whatever that is.

If Herm can pull this off, no one will be happier than I. But, I don't see where we're going with this team.

FAX

Easy 6
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
I honestly think we will be fine & go to & win 1 playoff game. FA has been just fine with me, MacIntosh = Beats Black, rarely beaten for sax or penalized, Edwards = Still has atleast 1 good year, Harris = A 1st round talent who needs to rub some dirt on it once in awhile.

A great draft & no offseason drama should leave us sitting pretty.

Turn that frown upside down Mr. Fax... :)

el borracho
03-12-2007, 06:48 PM
At this point? Who knows?

Who is our QB? Who starts opposite Kennison? Who are our DTs? Is Shields going to play? Is Allen going to play for us?

Right now, I would say we are 3rd in the AFCWest with the Chargers miles ahead of us and the Broncos slightly better than us. There is still time to overtake the Broncos this offseason, depending on the rest of free-agency and the draft but right now I don't see us in the playoffs.

penchief
03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Old Players, Young and Unproven Players, Overpriced Players, No DTs, Knuckle-Head Coach, Megalomaniacal General Manager, Cover None Defense, New Simplified Offense, Locker Room Cancers, Rising Nacho Prices, et al.

To my mind, it adds up to one simple and undeniable fact, we're screwed.

Please advise and pass the ass salve.

FAX

I'm a little more optimistic than you are. While I agree that we are behind the curve on the OL & at CB and in immediate need of a WR & DT, I think our young guys are promising and I like our approach to free agency this year. I like Herm as an evaluator and I'm looking forward to this year's draft. If we can have a draft like last year and we can bring in free agents that fill needs in the way that Reed and Edwards did, then I see a slow and steady improvement in our future.

Brock
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Awe! I feel for you guys.
Now you know what it's like being a Buc fan!
I feel your pain.

We aren't interested in Jake Plummer, so I don't think we've quite sunk to that level.

Deberg_1990
03-12-2007, 07:33 PM
True on both counts, Mr. Deberg_1990. Still, it was generally agreed that our linebackers were serviceable while our DTs were not. Of course, the argument could be made that our LB corp wasn't suited for the Cover 2, but I still wonder if they would not have performed better had we had a defensive line that could get a better push than a 1947 woolen braziere. At this point, I can only hope that we find and sign some impact players for the lines. You have to build a team around the lines, in my opinion.

They probably felt that there isnt any first rate DT's out there in free agency, so they went the LB route. Nothing wrong with that. Im glad they didnt overpay some leftover turd.

My guess is they draft at least two DT's in this draft, two O-linemen and one CB and one WR......just a hunch...IM not sure how many picks we have overall??

milkman
03-12-2007, 08:21 PM
We aren't interested in Jake Plummer, so I don't think we've quite sunk to that level.

But they did win a SB within the last 5 years.

We haven't sniffed on in 35.

She can bitch, but Bucs fans have nothing on Cheifs fans when it comes to suffering.

CHENZ A!
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I bet we go anywhere form 7-9 to 10-6 no matter what the **** we have as long as Carls here.

Rausch
03-12-2007, 10:26 PM
So far I like how this is turning out.

KC has released/not resigned most of the average to poor players on this team...

FAX
03-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Actually, I'm very encouraged that the majority of informed, knowledgeable, and wise Planeteers have chosen either "Not Too Screwed" or "Pretty Screwed". Since I know that most of you are non-homer in both practice and policy, it's cause for hope.

I pray that your votes are counted by the Angels because, after 30 plus years, I'm tired of watching other teams succeed, rebuild, and succeed over and over again while each year we buy tickets, line up, and, at the sound of the first whistle, plunge headlong into the sewer of dreams.

FAX

patteeu
03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
FAX makes Logical look like a Pollyanna who doesn't post limericks.

TinyEvel
03-13-2007, 12:10 AM
I think we're somewhat screwed. Not sure what the passing game will be like. Offense on LJ's shoulders again. I think this will be the first true "rebuilding year" as last year was with mostly DV's guys/new system.

And, the defense is "Cover Who" not "Cover none" At least rhyme it.

FAX
03-13-2007, 12:12 AM
This place is getting rougher by the N00b (sp?).

I'm either criticised for rhyming too much or not at all.

FAX

greg63
03-13-2007, 12:19 AM
Gazascrewed :p :D

RealSNR
03-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Last season was Herm coaching Vermeil's players. This year I think we'll see the kind of team Herm can succeed with... if at all.

It will be one of those "playoffs aren't unreasonable, but neither is 5-11" seasons

FAX
03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Good point, Mr. SNR. The next couple of years will be the true test of Herm's amazing and fabulous coaching ability.

I hope to also see some improvement in his press conferences.

FAX

greg63
03-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Good point, Mr. SNR. The next couple of years will be the true test of Herm's amazing and fabulous coaching ability.

FAX

You play to win the game!

RealSNR
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM

FAXPersonally, I find Herm's press conferences to be on average the most entertaining ones in the "biz". I really think that Herm is the type of coach who could possibly on the right day give us a gem like calling Rhonda Moss a fatass barren lesbian if she asked a bad question.

Fatass barren lesbians. What's not funny about that?

03-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Damnit!!! No Royally screwed option?

FAX
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Personally, I find Herm's press conferences to be on average the most entertaining ones in the "biz". I really think that Herm is the type of coach who could possibly on the right day give us a gem like calling Rhonda Moss a fatass barren lesbian if she asked a bad question.

Nothing at all, Mr. SNR. Especially if you say it 10 times real fast.

His conferences are okay, I suppose. If you like listening to someone lie like a hooker on Christmas and cover their ass for 40 solid minutes.

Still, if Herm said that, his stock would rise dramatically in my gridiron portfolio. I'm buying puts at the moment.

FAX

FAX
03-13-2007, 12:41 AM

Holy Colossal Craters Of Crotchety Critics!!!

Is there anything else that needs changed? We have a friggin' potential disaster for a football team and everyone wants to focus on the number of ways you can ask how screwed you are?

FAX

03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Holy Colossal Craters Of Crotchety Critics!!!

Is there anything else that needs changed? We have a friggin' potential disaster for a football team and everyone wants to focus on the number of ways you can ask how screwed you are?

FAX

ROFL

I don't think we are THAT screwed. I think Herm CAN draft but I feel like we will still be 10-6 or 9-7 next year.

Bugeater
03-13-2007, 12:48 AM
No Screwed, Blued and Tattooed option either. :shake:

Direckshun
03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
I really don't mean to be rude,
But defenses will eat us like food.
This team will just foster
Another bad roster
So we might as well smile 'cuz we're screwed.

Skip Towne
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I really don't mean to be rude,
But defenses will eat us like food.
This team will just foster
Another bad roster
So we might as well smile 'cuz we're screwed.
FAX, you ain't.

Direckshun
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
FAX, you ain't.
Yeah but who is, in the grand scheme of things. Who is.

greg63
03-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Personally, I find Herm's press conferences to be on average the most entertaining ones in the "biz". I really think that Herm is the type of coach who could possibly on the right day give us a gem like calling Rhonda Moss a fatass barren lesbian if she asked a bad question.

It would then bring down the ire of the ACLU for the defamation of fat barren lesbians.

Fat Elvis
03-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Since King Carl is the debil, how anyone could NOT pick the Faustian screwing is beyond me.....

crazycoffey
03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
We're screwed for being Chiefs Fans. Even if we win the superbowl next year, there will be people all over, here, the media, etc. all saying we shouldn't have even been in the game.

We can't win if we do win, so how can we win if we don't???????