PDA

View Full Version : On edge in Larryville

Braincase
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Letters have gone out to professors regarding their tenure. My wife is up for it this year, and I'm feeling the tension. If she gets tenure, we stay, and I don't have to put my kids through another move (Dane was only a few weeks old when we moved from Wichita to Lawrence, but just last week my 10 year old was telling me she misses her friends down there). If we don't get tenure, it's a move for sure, to another university, and then we get to start this mess all over again, although the tenure process at other schools is not as harsh. At KU, you get very little feedback during the process, and in the end, Mechanical Engineers end up getting judged by liberal arts and fine arts professors (who probably have no flippin' clue what my wife really does). The head of the Promotion and Tenure committee is an expert in Sanskrit.

My wife has received some flack for promoting entrepreneurship for engineers, some feel that it's inappropriate to teach those types of business courses in the engineering school, nevermind that all those fancy buildings and lecture halls were paid for by successful businessmen, some with engineering degrees.

How's the weather in Fort Collins?

StcChief
03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
We wouldn't want any successful Engineers in business.

They should stay on forever and teach.

Zebedee DuBois
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Good luck to your wife.

Braincase
03-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Good luck to your wife.

Thanks... I think you're about as close to this kind of academia as anybody on the board, and your sentiments are appreciated.

FAX
03-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Hmmm. Although I firmly believe that Change Is Good, it sounds as if, in this case, the status quo is preferable. That's why I shall light a special candle for you, Mr. Braincase. And for your wife. And for tenue. And for cold beer. And for someone to teach an elephant to surf because that would be cool, too.

FAX

WilliamTheIrish
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Good luck to your wife, BC. You seem to have put down some roots in NE Ks, and despite the political/religious landscape of of the present day, it's the perfect place to raise young kids.

It's not too fast lane, but not backwooded like our MUtt/NUBB/Grapes Of Wrath neighbors.

I will hum some Joe Satriani tunes in hopes you get to stay put.

Good luck, my friend.

W

Braincase
03-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Well, looks like today ought to be the day we find out for sure. I'll be sweatin' bullets until we know for sure. I'm pretty confident she earned it. I'll wear my KU hat today as a good luck charm. (Purchased for me by guys in the Hawaiian Air National Guard).

plbrdude
03-14-2007, 05:55 AM
good luck to your wife.

JimNasium
03-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Missouri State would be a good fit. All of the Springfield Planeteers will gather for a welcome party.

Saulbadguy
03-14-2007, 06:44 AM
"Sanskrit? You're majoring in a 2,000 year old DEAD language? I've got latin..that's the best I can do."

G'Luck Bob. She'll make it.

NewChief
03-14-2007, 06:54 AM
If CSU is your other option, things could be worse. Ft. Collins is a great place to live. Similar type town to Lawrence, but you're in freaking Colorado instead of Kansas. Still, I recognize the difficulty of moving. I hope she gets the tenure.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Missouri State would be a good fit. All of the Springfield Planeteers will gather for a welcome party.

My wife would meet Jenny and commence beating the shit out of me just for thinkin'.

StcChief
03-14-2007, 07:08 AM
Good luck to you and your family. It will all work out for the best. Tenure? Has she published?

Isn't that what they want still publish or parish.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Good luck to you and your family. It will all work out for the best. Tenure? Has she published?

Isn't that what they want still publish or parish.

Yeah, she reached her pub count, and she's brought in some sizeable bucks into the University (NSF and NIH grants as primary investigator). The problem she runs into politically is that some folks look at her success as an entrpreneur as a negative. Sometimes, believe it or not, you can be too successful. I think she'll be OK... we ought to know in a few hours.

stevieray
03-14-2007, 07:23 AM
good luck, crockbob!

oldandslow
03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Been through this myself Braincase...

I made it in our publish or perish world, but the tenure process is never pretty.

I will be sending good thoughts your way.

Mr. Kotter
03-14-2007, 07:54 AM
Good luck and best wishes to you and your wife, BC. :thumb:

trndobrd
03-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah, she reached her pub count, and she's brought in some sizeable bucks into the University (NSF and NIH grants as primary investigator). The problem she runs into politically is that some folks look at her success as an entrpreneur as a negative. Sometimes, believe it or not, you can be too successful. I think she'll be OK... we ought to know in a few hours.

I certainly wish you and Mrs. Braincase the best, but you should also consider the worst case scenario...that she leaves academia and uses her reputation and business contacts to get a job in industry making eleventy-billion dollars. Ten years from now she can have her driver park in 'Prof. Sankrit's' spot as she stops by KU to talk to the Dean about naming of the new the Engineering building.

patteeu
03-14-2007, 08:28 AM
If CSU is your other option, things could be worse. Ft. Collins is a great place to live. Similar type town to Lawrence, but you're in freaking Colorado instead of Kansas.

That's what I was thinking, but since Mr. & Mrs. Braincase seem to want to get stuck at KU, I wish them both luck.

Lzen
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Good luck, Bob. Hope it works out for you and your family.

cdcox
03-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Hope she gets. I've been through the process, so I know what it is like sitting on pins and needles for the last 6 mos or so.

StcChief
03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I certainly wish you and Mrs. Braincase the best, but you should also consider the worst case scenario...that she leaves academia and uses her reputation and business contacts to get a job in industry making eleventy-billion dollars. Ten years from now she can have her driver park in 'Prof. Sankrit's' spot as she stops by KU to talk to the Dean about naming of the new the Engineering building.

My thoughts as well.... that would wax their A$$. Glad to see she is business savvy at heart. To bad more are NOT like this in acedemia.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Ten years from now she can have her driver park in 'Prof. Sankrit's' spot as she stops by KU to talk to the Dean about naming of the new the Engineering building.

I have a feeling if we don't get tenured, that building would more than likely and up at her alma mater, rather than KU... Dr. Lisa's Hall on the University of Iowa campus has a ring, right?

ChiefaRoo
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
Letters have gone out to professors regarding their tenure. My wife is up for it this year, and I'm feeling the tension. If she gets tenure, we stay, and I don't have to put my kids through another move (Dane was only a few weeks old when we moved from Wichita to Lawrence, but just last week my 10 year old was telling me she misses her friends down there). If we don't get tenure, it's a move for sure, to another university, and then we get to start this mess all over again, although the tenure process at other schools is not as harsh. At KU, you get very little feedback during the process, and in the end, Mechanical Engineers end up getting judged by liberal arts and fine arts professors (who probably have no flippin' clue what my wife really does). The head of the Promotion and Tenure committee is an expert in Sanskrit.

My wife has received some flack for promoting entrepreneurship for engineers, some feel that it's inappropriate to teach those types of business courses in the engineering school, nevermind that all those fancy buildings and lecture halls were paid for by successful businessmen, some with engineering degrees.

I thought you were on edge because of your overwelming fear of KU doing a first or second round face plant in the Tournament.

teedubya
03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
It will work out bro... they like to make you sweat. Your wife is brilliant and I feel she will get tenured.

She has too... cuz I want to be able to go more Jayhawk games with you! :-)

Lzen
03-14-2007, 12:59 PM
I thought you were on edge because of your overwelming fear of KU doing a first or second round face plant in the Tournament.

You sure do talk a lot of trash for a fan of a team that has made the tourney once in about 20 years or so.

Scaga
03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
In the words of Judge Smails:

"Well, we're waiting! ... "

ChiefaRoo
03-14-2007, 01:10 PM
You sure do talk a lot of trash for a fan of a team that has made the tourney once in about 20 years or so.

It's a free country braniac. You talk a lot of trash considering your team can't win when it counts despite buying all the mickey d's aa's that Self can wedge onto the team bus.

Lzen
03-14-2007, 01:17 PM
It's a free country braniac. You talk a lot of trash considering your team can't win when it counts despite buying all the mickey d's aa's that Self can wedge onto the team bus.

You have a short memory, too.

ChiefaRoo
03-14-2007, 01:20 PM
You have a short memory, too.

You are right I can only remember the one National Title from way back in 1987. Oh, I also remember Arizona sticking it in when the chips were on the line and KU had the best team in the country hands down. Anything else I've forgotten? Carmelo making KU his personal biatch is the only other one I can think of.

The Franchise
03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
"Sanskrit? You're majoring in a 2,000 year old DEAD language? I've got latin..that's the best I can do."

G'Luck Bob. She'll make it.

"Phys Ed? Get the **** out of my room!"

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Ask him how his team is doing in the NIT. Oh...wait...they are too shitty for even the NIT.

Hydrae
Good luck to Mrs BC! Will send up a quick prayer for you guys.

ChiefaRoo
Ask him how his team is oing in the NIT. Oh...wait...they are too shitty for even the NIT.
Hi Skip, how's patches?
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/teHfyby_veU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/teHfyby_veU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Pitt Gorilla
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm sure things will work out fine. However, the P & T process at KU seems a bit odd. My committee is made up primarily of people from my department.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm sure things will work out fine. However, the P & T process at KU seems a bit odd. My committee is made up primarily of people from my department.

Yeah, wife got the green light from the engineering school, but you just never know what's going to happen when you start having those liberal and fine arts types showing up. Alot of them look at her research grants and automatically think that it's easy for engineers to get money, when the fact of the matter is that the declined grant ratio is about the same across all schools - she just works on a lot of grant applications. She's always got two grant proposals in the hopper. Eventually, the law of averages plays out and she gets some bucks. Kind of like ENDelt's "ya wanna go screw?" philosophy. Eventually, someone is gonna say yes.

MOhillbilly
03-14-2007, 02:53 PM

my cousin loves it.

Lzen
03-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, wife got the green light from the engineering school, but you just never know what's going to happen when you start having those liberal and fine arts types showing up. Alot of them look at her research grants and automatically think that it's easy for engineers to get money, when the fact of the matter is that the declined grant ratio is about the same across all schools - she just works on a lot of grant applications. She's always got two grant proposals in the hopper. Eventually, the law of averages plays out and she gets some bucks. Kind of like ENDelt's "ya wanna go screw?" philosophy. Eventually, someone is gonna say yes.

:thumb:

Saulbadguy
03-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Ft. Collins = home of the New Belgium Brewery.

Crashride
03-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I thought this thread was going to be able how larry johnson is a cancer..

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 03:04 PM
No, no. Endelt uses "Wanna go halves on a bastard".

Zebedee DuBois
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I have been transmitting positive vibes up that way all day long.
Is anything getting through?

Actually, I don't know what my range is. Someone at Emporia is probably having a good day.

Rain Man
03-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Actually, I don't know what my range is. Someone at Emporia is probably having a good day.

It's probably just a coincidence, but my wife just brought me two cookies.

Rain Man
03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
The head of the Promotion and Tenure committee is an expert in Sanskrit.

Perhaps you should've sent him an anonymous love letter in Sanskrit from a "secret admirer" before the vote, to get him in a good mood.

Zebedee DuBois
03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
It's probably just a coincidence, but my wife just brought me two cookies.

I should probably note that when I said "transmit positive vibes" I meant I was humming the Girl from Ipanema, and when I said "all day", I meant 'a couple of times." ....and if I somehow influenced your wife to give you a couple of cookies, someone in Limon probably got a steak and a BJ.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 04:57 PM

2 guys at IBP had nocturnal emissions while sleeping on the job.

Braincase
03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
High Anxiety!

The letters were sent out from the Provost's Office monday.. and have yet to arrive across campus.

Perhaps I should talk with the Provost about the concept of secure email. After all, it's a simple group policy to deploy the X.509 certificates from the Public Key Infrastructure... that is, so long as somebody has set up the permissions to autoenroll on the certificate template and added the template to the the console ... (did I ever tell you guys that I tend to jabber when I'm nervous? Was reading just last week about the problems wth jitter and jabber on computer networks. Kind of a funny thing - you see...)

cdcox
03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
High Anxiety!

The letters were sent out from the Provost's Office monday.. and have yet to arrive across campus.

Perhaps I should talk with the Provost about the concept of secure email. After all, it's a simple group policy to deploy the X.509 certificates from the Public Key Infrastructure... that is, so long as somebody has set up the permissions to autoenroll on the certificate template and added the template to the the console ... (did I ever tell you guys that I tend to jabber when I'm nervous? Was reading just last week about the problems wth jitter and jabber on computer networks. Kind of a funny thing - you see...)

The letters were probably put in the campus mail system after the pick up time, so they sat in the out box until they were picked up yesterday.

I think I always found out by word of mouth from my department head, with the offical university letter arriving sometime later.

teedubya
03-14-2007, 09:54 PM
High Anxiety!

Dude, I have never seen you on wits end before. Cowboy up and think positive... this worry shit is like paying a debt that you may or may not owe... besides even if she isnt tenured, with her grant scoring abilities, one of her ideas will net you all a fortune.

Braincase
03-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Dude, I have never seen you on wits end before. Cowboy up and think positive... this worry shit is like paying a debt that you may or may not owe... besides even if she isnt tenured, with her grant scoring abilities, one of her ideas will net you all a fortune.

Well, guess what... you get to deal with another day of my "tenseface".

If I had hair, I'd be pulling it out.

And I can't believe you clowns didn't give me rep for my reply to Dubois!

Skip Towne
03-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Still no word? That's terrible that they handle something so important in this manner.

Fat Elvis
03-15-2007, 08:07 AM

Tenseface? I kinda figured you as the kid who ran around with bucket on his head bumping into walls.....

teedubya
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM

nope, Im done for the week, its called a March Madness holiday

Phobia
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
You're right. I have no idea what you're going through. But I do wish you guys the best. Hopefully you'll find out today.

Braincase
03-15-2007, 11:01 AM
You're right. I have no idea what you're going through. But I do wish you guys the best. Hopefully you'll find out today.

The one thing you and I can relate to on this is that we both married women smarter than us... although in my case, it was unavoidable.

Skip Towne
03-15-2007, 11:03 AM
The one thing you and I can relate to on this is that we both married women smarter than us... although in my case, it was unavoidable.
Who ever heard of a woman engineer? They don't know nothin' about trains.

Rain Man
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
If I had your address, a funny practical joke would be to mail you a bunch of envelopes on university letterhead that contain blank pieces of paper.

I'd probably even Fedex one.

Phobia
03-15-2007, 11:06 AM

Which goes to prove just how mentally inferior I really am.

Braincase
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Which goes to prove just how mentally inferior I really am.

You had to really scrape to find a woman stupider than you the first time around eh?

Phobia
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
You had to really scrape to find a woman stupider than you the first time around eh?
It was a difficult task, no doubt about that. I bad-lucked my way into that deal.

Skip Towne
03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
If I had your address, a funny practical joke would be to mail you a bunch of envelopes on university letterhead that contain blank pieces of paper.

I'd probably even Fedex one.
You would need a bodyguard.

StcChief
03-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Who ever heard of a woman engineer? They don't know nothin' about trains.
and hopefully for Braincase,
she doesn't know anything about pulling trains.... :D

Ebolapox
03-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I thought this was a thread about larry johnson's eminent trade or contract extension

Braincase
03-15-2007, 12:51 PM
WE
GOT
TENURE!

I think my wife is gonna wanna have another kid... and right now I feel like making one!

Phobia
03-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Congrats. Now you can quit your job and play golf 7 days a week.

ChiefaRoo
03-15-2007, 12:54 PM
WE
GOT
TENURE!

I think my wife is gonna wanna have another kid... and right now I feel like making one!

Glad to hear it BC. Now she is free to rant and rave to future generations about most anything without fear of accountability.

Now you can get back to worrying about KU basketball. :)

go bo
03-15-2007, 01:07 PM
excellent...

congratulations to your wife... :toast: :toast: :toast:

Saulbadguy
03-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Grats! It's a fine academic institution and i'm glad you'll be able to spend the rest of your years in a great town.

ChiefaRoo
03-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Grats! It's a fine academic institution and i'm glad you'll be able to spend the rest of your years in a great town.

Saul. Quit kissing KU butt.

I like you better when you're saying WSU is the best basketball team in Kansas. Say that a few more times. :)

Skip Towne
03-15-2007, 01:16 PM
Saul. Quit kissing KU butt.

I like you better when you're saying WSU is the best basketball team in Kansas. Say that a few more times. :)
Nobody is that stupid............except you.

cdcox
03-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Congratuations to Mrs. Dr. Braincase!

..and to you to.

For me the emotion was 80% relief that I didn't lose my job mixed with 20% joy that was tenured.

Fat Elvis
03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
WE
GOT
TENURE!

Congrats!

Braincase
Congratuations to Mrs. Dr. Braincase!

..and to you to.

For me the emotion was 80% relief that I didn't lose my job mixed with 20% joy that was tenured.

For me the relief is in knowing that I don't have to move my kids. I moved around a bit as a kid, and I know it's rough. Knowing that they get to settle in and only have to say one city when people ask where they're from is a huge.

Skip Towne
I'll bet Rainman sent you that as a joke.

StcChief
03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
WE
GOT
TENURE!

EXCELLENT. If can cash in go for a belated Steak and BJ too.

Rain Man
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I'll bet Rainman sent you that as a joke.

I'm starting to feel a little bad about this. Hopefully his wife really will get tenure.

Skip Towne
03-15-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm starting to feel a little bad about this. Hopefully his wife really will get tenure.
If not, how will you ever explain?

teedubya
03-15-2007, 03:19 PM

ROFL

teedubya
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Congrats Bob! No more tense face!