PDA

View Full Version : It would be nice if the law allowed for a little empathy

Hydrae
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
This kind of crap just simply pisses me off! :cuss: Why don't they just go ahead and sentence her to prison since they obviously don't care if she even lives. And don't even get me started on states rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_on_he_me/medical_marijuana

SAN FRANCISCO - A California woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive is not immune from federal prosecution on drug charges, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The case was brought by Angel Raich, an Oakland mother of two who suffers from scoliosis, a brain tumor, chronic nausea and other ailments. On her doctor's advice, she eats or smokes marijuana every couple of hours to ease her pain and bolster a nonexistent appetite as conventional drugs did not work.

The Supreme Court ruled against Raich two years ago, saying that medical marijuana users and their suppliers could be prosecuted for breaching federal drug laws even if they lived in a state such as California where medical pot is legal.

Because of that ruling, the issue before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was narrowed to the so-called right to life theory: that marijuana should be allowed if it is the only viable option to keep a patient alive.

Raich, 41, began sobbing when she was told of the decision and said she would continue using the drug.

"I'm sure not going to let them kill me," she said. "Oh my God."

Redrum_69
03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
All religions should go through the state.

This would stop the illegal immigartion of pitbulls from state to state

noa
03-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Don't we have better things to do with our law enforcement?

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 01:33 PM
All dopeheads should be sent to prison for life /Rush Limbaugh

tooge
03-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Boy, I hope Mr. Limbaugh isnt ever really taken seriously. That would make those certain "times" so much less enjoyable.

Redrum_69
03-14-2007, 01:42 PM
She should try shark fishing

CoMoChief
03-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Why dont they just make Marijuana legal and tax the hell out of it?

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Why don't they just make it legal and leave it the hell alone.

DenverChief
03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
I really think it is a states rights issue and the feds should back off...I dunno how the supremes could say no to her but uphold the right to die law in oregon...seems very similar to me ...except the minor detail that the drugs in oregon are used to kill and in california to keep alive

sedated
03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
everyone scatter ........ it's the cops

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar512_10.gif

teedubya
That plant sure is beautiful.

Redrum_69
03-14-2007, 01:53 PM
WHile they are making pot legal...make prostitution legal as well

oh and make it so you can buy alcohol on sundays too

change the bill of rights

the constitution needs amended too

make pitbulls legal...LOL wtf was i thnking...shootem all

and stop the immigration influx at the borders, the eskimoes will be crossing over from canada chasing the elk

and bring back baby seal clubbing too...that was a hella good pasttime

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 01:54 PM
WHile they are making pot legal...make prostitution legal as well

oh and make it so you can buy alcohol on sundays too

agreed until here

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 01:55 PM
All dopeheads should be sent to prison for life /Rush Limbaugh

Link or b&?

noa
03-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I really think it is a states rights issue and the feds should back off...I dunno how the supremes could say no to her but uphold the right to die law in oregon...seems very similar to me ...except the minor detail that the drugs in oregon are used to kill and in california to keep alive

They claimed it was related interstate commerce, which I think is bogus because medical marijuana can legally (according to state law) because grown and consumed within state borders, thus not involving interstate commerce. I think that's why Clarence Thomas sided with Raich.

tooge
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
yeah, lets see, a pack of 20 J's with about $5 tax. Sell a few hbillion packs a year, that pretty much takes care of social security and education, maybe it would fix the healthcare for the uninsured, I dont know, but it sure would be better to have something that alot of people use make money than to spend money trying to eradicate it. It is really no different than how alcohol is taxed, neither are really good for you, but neither does real harm in moderation. what is the hangup?

Hydrae
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh, but if you have a terrible cancer you don't have to pay for crimes. In the same state even! (see bolded part in particular)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070314/ap_on_hi_te/hewlett_packard_directors

SAN JOSE, Calif. - A judge dropped all charges against former Hewlett-Packard Co. board Chairwoman Patricia Dunn, who was accused of fraud in the boardroom spying scheme that rocked one of Silicon Valley's most respected companies.

Three other defendants in the case also will avoid jail time after their lawyers entered no contest pleas Wednesday to misdemeanor charges of fraudulent wire communications in Santa Clara Superior Court.

Judge Ray E. Cunningham did not immediately accept the pleas by former HP ethics chief Kevin Hunsaker, and private investigators Ronald DeLia and Matthew DePante, and said the charges against them will also be dropped in September after they complete 96 hours of community service and make restitution.

State prosecutors announced earlier Wednesday that Dunn and the three other defendants had agreed to plead guilty to reduced charges and that Dunn would be spared community service because of her health. She revealed last year that she was being treated for advanced ovarian cancer.

But the office of Attorney General Jerry Brown later said that release was incorrect. Lawyers for Dunn and the other defendants said deal with the state called for Dunn's case to be dismissed.

"This is a vindication of Patty Dunn in every sense of the word," said her lawyer, James Brosnahan. "It shows what she's maintained throughout: that she's innocent of these charges."

The four were initially charged in October with four felony counts: use of false or fraudulent pretenses to obtain confidential information from a public utility; unauthorized access to computer data; identity theft; and conspiracy to commit each of those crimes.

Each of those charges carried a fine of up to $10,000 and three years in prison.

While the deal with state prosecutors allows all four defendants to escape jail time, federal prosecutors have said their investigation of the HP leaks probe is ongoing.

"The guilty pleas offered today will not prevent federal prosecutors from filing criminal charges against Hunsaker, DeLia or DePante — if they so choose," the attorney general's office said in its statement.

Dunn, Hunsaker, DeLia and Depante did not attend Wednesday's hearing.

A fifth defendant, private investigator Bryan Wagner, was also charged by the state in October. But the state's case against him was dropped after Wagner pleaded guilty to the same charges in federal court and agreed to testify for the prosecution.

No other federal charges have been filed in connection with HP's effort to spy on its own board members.

The boardroom scandal shook Hewlett-Packard, with Dunn stepping down as chairwoman and several other top executives resigning over their roles in the subterfuge.

HP's investigation, which took place in 2005 and 2006, erupted into a national scandal after HP disclosed that the detectives it hired had obtained the private phone records of directors, employees and journalists in an effort to ferret out the source of media leaks.

Using a shady tactic known as "pretexting," the detectives obtained the Social Security numbers of their targets and fooled telephone companies into divulging their detailed call logs.

Shares of the region's oldest and biggest technology company were unscathed by the scandal, as the stock price steadily rose through much of last year.

HP's stock was up 15 cents, to $39.70, in afternoon trading Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Redrum_69
03-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Wtf is moderation?!?!?

people use alcohol and smoking moderately???

Interesting concept. I find myself either totally sober...or drunk as a skunk on long islands and rock lobsters

jynni
03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Maybe she could seek assylum in Amsterdam?

teedubya
03-14-2007, 02:04 PM
yeah, lets see, a pack of 20 J's with about $5 tax. Sell a few hbillion packs a year, that pretty much takes care of social security and education, maybe it would fix the healthcare for the uninsured, I dont know, but it sure would be better to have something that alot of people use make money than to spend money trying to eradicate it. It is really no different than how alcohol is taxed, neither are really good for you, but neither does real harm in moderation. what is the hangup?

a billion packs? Do you know long it would take most people to smoke 20 J's?

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Link or b&?
what's your point?

DenverChief
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
They claimed it was related interstate commerce, which I think is bogus because medical marijuana can legally (according to state law) because grown and consumed within state borders, thus not involving interstate commerce. I think that's why Clarence Thomas sided with Raich.

I'm familiar with the argument, the feds tried to use it in their case against Oregon but the supremes ruled against the feds because IIRC of the 10th amendment...I could be wrong...I'll have to look it up again but I know the main argument by the feds was the drugs (used to euthanize people) cross state lines

Redrum_69
03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Why not solve the problem and move over seas

DenverChief
03-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Why not solve the problem and move over seas

I can't imagine with all her spare time after fighting all of the ailments she has money saved up from her full time job....

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 02:17 PM
what's your point?
You were there. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159549)

InChiefsHeaven
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
If Medical Marijuana is legal, why can't her doctor prescribe it to her??

crazycoffey
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM

:clap:

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
You were there. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159549)
so where did i post a story in this thread without a link?

noa
03-14-2007, 02:22 PM
If Medical Marijuana is legal, why can't her doctor prescribe it to her??

Because he'd lose his medical license. He can recommend it for her by state law, but he can't legally prescribe marijuana because it is a Schedule I controlled substance.

tooge
03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
I was being facetious with the billion packs thing. My point is that alcohol and cigarettes are both harmful to the individuals using them, and 2nd hand smoke is harmful to those in the vicinity of the user. I am still waiting for someone to tell me the logic behind alcohol and cigarettes being legal and providing a tax revenue source, and marijuana being illegal. It is the old pot calling the kettle black. Either make booze and cigs illegal, or make pot legal, that is all I am saying.

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Where did the gubment get the power to ban marijuana? It took a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol.

Bugeater
03-14-2007, 03:03 PM
No shit, it would probably still be cheaper than it is now.

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
so where did i post a story in this thread without a link?
bah ...... i never know when people are kidding or not.

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
bah ...... i never know when people are kidding or not.
Don't be obtuse, you were attributing at least a paraphrased quote. I cited it in my initial reply.

noa
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Don't be obtuse, you were attributing at least a paraphrased quote. I cited it in my initial reply.

According to the thread title you are referencing the discussion was about people who paste articles without providing a link. I don't think that necessarily applies to sarcastic one liners.

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 03:38 PM
According to the thread title you are referencing the discussion was about people who paste articles without providing a link. I don't think that necessarily applies to sarcastic one liners.
If they are portrayed as quotations? Really?

noa
03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
If they are portrayed as quotations? Really?

It struck me as a sarcastic exaggeration (jail for life). I don't think we need to worry about that. :shrug:

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 04:02 PM
It struck me as a sarcastic exaggeration (jail for life). I don't think we need to worry about that. :shrug:
You don't think there are people who see that and think it's at least an accurate paraphrase of something Rush has said?

"Everybody should get high. I let my kids get high" /noa949

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
it was a sarcastic pseudo quote ..... Lee knows it, he's just being a weenie.

so .............

Less than two weeks ago, Limbaugh weighed in on the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) announcement that there were no "sound scientific studies" supporting the medicinal use of marijuana. His diatribe was characteristically callous and harsh toward sick and dying people who use medical marijuana as Limbaugh blathered "the FDA says there's no -- zilch, zero, nada -- shred of medicinal value to the evil weed marijuana. This is going to be a setback to the long-haired, maggot-infested, dope-smoking crowd."

This distain for medical marijuana patients is not the first time Rush showed a lack of compassion to people who use drugs or suffer from addiction. Limbaugh is the man who scoffed at the idea that African Americans are disproportionately arrested on drug charges, and suggested that the solution was to arrest more white people. Interestingly enough, Mr. Limbaugh sang a different tune when he was the white person who could have easily ended up behind bars if he was not the famous radio personality that he is.

http://www.counterpunch.org/papa05022006.html

"Drug use, some might say, is destroying this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs. ... And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up," Limbaugh said on his short-lived television show on Oct. 5, 1995.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99731,00.html

Was Rush Limbaugh high when he said, "There's nothing good about drug use…It destroys individuals… families… societies, some might say this country. And we have laws against selling drugs, pushing drugs, using drugs, importing drugs…And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs, they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to be sent up."

Was Rush stoned when he sneered, "When you strip it all away, Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks." October 5, 1995

http://www.zmag.org/Sustainers/Content/2003-10/26landau.cfm

NJ Chief Fan
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Fck the goverment, smoke all the damn weed you want.

Extra Point
03-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I'm with the pro-legalize-and-tax-the-shit-out-of-it group.

DenverChief
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
You don't think there are people who see that and think it's at least an accurate paraphrase of something Rush has said?

If they are on Chiefsplanet getting their history lessons this country is in more trouble than I thought

noa
03-14-2007, 04:55 PM

I don't think we need to regulate our site to cater to people who can't detect sarcastic exaggeration.
Sure, ask for a link if you want, but to argue that this is related to the discussion of people posting entire articles without links is a stretch IMO.

Eric
03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Legalizing it for medical reasons kills the governments propaganda campaign.

If the pro-weed lobby would put up some ads with Jesus smoking weed then it might get legalized.

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't think we need to regulate our site to cater to people who can't detect sarcastic exaggeration.
Sure, ask for a link if you want, but to argue that this is related to the discussion of people posting entire articles without links is a stretch IMO.
I wasn't serious about banning him. I was against the banning on the original premise. First I just typed "Link," then I remembered we had just discussed something similar, so I added "or b&?."

I do get irritated when people misrepresent the views of others or history over and over [RRPP, Bush said Saddam engineered 9/11, Clinton got impeached for getting a BJ, CP drafted Blackledge [OK, that's a clear in-joke at this point], etc] hoping it'll turn into truth in the zietgiest, but was mostly TIC. HowTF did cross-thread humor turn into so serious a discussion.

Adept Havelock
03-14-2007, 05:10 PM

If the pro-weed lobby would put up some ads with Jesus smoking weed then it might get legalized.

Somehow, I don't think so. :shake:

However, I see no harm in testing your hypothesis...

noa
03-14-2007, 05:13 PM

They'll probably just sit around and watch The Daily Show instead.

Adept Havelock
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
They'll probably just sit around and watch The Daily Show instead.

Only if they remember it's on. And if they haven't lost the remote to change the channel from Cartoon Network.

L.A. Chieffan
03-14-2007, 05:18 PM
anybody else got the munchies right now?

noa
03-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm about to throw on Dark Side of the Moon

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
anybody else got the muchies right now?
depends on what muchies are.

Mr. Laz
03-14-2007, 05:20 PM
I wasn't serious about banning him. I was against the banning on the original premise. First I just typed "Link," then I remembered we had just discussed something similar, so I added "or b&?."

I do get irritated when people misrepresent the views of others or history over and over [RRPP, Bush said Saddam engineered 9/11, Clinton got impeached for getting a BJ, CP drafted Blackledge [OK, that's a clear in-joke at this point], etc] hoping it'll turn into truth in the zietgiest, but was mostly TIC. HowTF did cross-thread humor turn into so serious a discussion.
well i think it got turned serious when i said "i never no when somebody is serious" and then you reacted seriously.

i thought you were serious

then i thought "bah ...... i never know when people are kidding or not."

then your reacted seriously ..... again.

who the hell knows, i can never tell when certain people are serious or not.

Bob Dole,Baby Lee,Demonpenz,Phobia ........ you guys are always saying stuff so dry that i don't know whether you're serious or not.

L.A. Chieffan
03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Well that is a badass album.
A few years back we went to a Griffith Observatory Floyd laser show, and let's just say the snack bar was sold out pretty quickly.

L.A. Chieffan
03-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't mess with my post. There's a 'n' in there :harumph:

Baby Lee
03-14-2007, 05:24 PM
well i think it got turned serious when i said "i never no when somebody is serious" and then you reacted seriously.

i thought you were serious

then i thought "bah ...... i never know when people are kidding or not."

then your reacted seriously ..... again.

who the hell knows, i can never tell when certain people are serious or not.

Bob Dole,Baby Lee,Demonpenz,Phobia ........ you guys are always saying stuff so dry that i don't know whether you're serious or not.
I was, well not serious, but not 'having a laugh,' about your quote. I was TIC about b&.

Mecca
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
The best is a friend of mine.....who drinks close to enough alcohol to be considered an alcoholic but if you smoke weed you're a bad person in his eyes. Gotta love that double standard.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-14-2007, 05:44 PM

Nope. This is nothing more than a money making scheme by the largest corporation in the world. The United States Government. There is a reason we have the largest incarceration rate in the free world. We recognize that we can make money off of our inmates through cheap labor, and tax revenue.

Crashride
03-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I love pot but I choose not to smoke until im old and retired. Right now I have to focus and if I smoke im gonna do it every day

kcfanintitanhell
03-14-2007, 06:04 PM

I think that that's the crux of the situation. If pot were legalized, the DEA would have to lay off thousands of people. So in order to perpetuate job security, the Feds, in their opinion, have no choice but to maintain the status quo.

Mecca
03-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I think that that's the crux of the situation. If pot were legalized, the DEA would have to lay off thousands of people. So in order to perpetuate job security, the Feds, in their opinion, have no choice but to maintain the status quo.

Just another example of how the war on drugs is one of the biggest wastes of money in our nations history.

Bob Dole
03-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Just another example of how the war on drugs is one of the biggest wastes of money in our nations history.

Actually, it's more of an example of how absolutely ****ed up the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is.

In addition to a bushel full of whacked up ADA rulings, they're the lovely folks who declared the Pledge of Allegiance illegal in public schools.

Adept Havelock
03-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Muchies? I bet these two know.

Extra Point
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Actually, it's more of an example of how absolutely ****ed up the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is.

In addition to a bushel full of whacked up ADA rulings, they're the lovely folks who declared the Pledge of Allegiance illegal in public schools.

Bob Dole has commented appropriately, as per the son of a son of Russell!!!

Skip Towne
03-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Bob Dole has commented appropriately, as per the son of a son of Russell!!!
Bob Dole didn't live in Russell for the last 25 years of his career. Him and that gimp hand act of his were pure theatre.

RJ
03-14-2007, 10:34 PM
What's odd to me is that this issue hasn't gone away yet. If the majority of today's prominent lawmakers were born from 1940-1960 (safe assumption?), then those people would likely have been around marijuana in their lives and have some first hand knowledge about it. Realistically, I have to think that most of today's state legislators have gotten high a time or two and would know that it's relatively harmless, certainly no more harmful than alcohol. I find it all very strange.

Rausch
03-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Muchies? I bet these two know.

Hells yeah!

Original BSG Muffit reference! ROFL

Halfcan
03-14-2007, 10:39 PM
I dont see why the Gov has such a hard on over weed???