PDA

View Full Version : Brady's elusive quest for Mr. 1,000

Hammock Parties
03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/03/patriots-bradys-quest150307.html

The New England Patriots have surprised some people this offseason. In all, they've acquired six new players, handing out bonus money like breath mints.

Three of those players are wide receivers. This is the story of a man named Brady.

In his first season as a starter in 2001, Tom Brady immediately enjoyed the company of one Troy Brown, who totaled 1,199 yards, giving the young quarterback a veteran presence on his way to the Super Bowl.

Do you know the number of 1,000-yard receivers Brady has worked with in the five seasons since? I'll give you a hint -- it rhymes with "Nero."

It's truly amazing the way Brady's receivers have managed to avoid the 1,000-yard plateau. In 2002, one of them caught 97 passes -- and didn't even have 900 yards. In 2004, the "Year of the Quarterback," a whopping 24 receivers caught 1,000 yards worth of passes. Guys like Brandon Stokley and Nate Burleson were having career years. But no one on Brady's team came close.

The following year was some kind of cosmic joke. Brady threw 530 passes, the second most of his career, and Deion Branch caught 78 of them. He ended up with 998 yards.

I realize the way the media fawns over Brady is getting old (although Peyton Manning is stealing some of his glory lately), but the man has truly made a career of making chicken salad out of chicken you know what.

The receivers he's worked with should count themselves as truly blessed to have caught his passes. In 2004 and 2005 combined, David Givens caught over 100 of them. He signed as a free agent with the Tennessee Titans last year and caught...eight.

In three of four seasons with Brady, David Patten caught at least 44 passes. He set career highs in receiving yards and touchdowns as a Patriot.

The Redskins threw a bunch of money at him (as they are wont to do) after the 2004 season, and in two seasons since he's caught...23 passes. His career B.B. (Before Brady) was completely unremarkable also.

And last year it happened again. Reche Caldwell, a second-round draft choice of the Chargers, never reached his potential in San Diego. Suddenly he meets No. 12 and sets career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns.

There's definitely something in the water in New England, or, more likely, Brady's arm and skull. Did we mention he's thrown for over 20,000 yards and nearly 150 touchdowns with this collection of misfits?

And that takes us back to New England's wide receiver bonanza of the current offseason. Is it possible Brady finally got fed up working with minimal wideout talent?

In last year's AFC Championship game, Brady was completely outgunned by Manning's arsenal. Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney (another castoff) combined for just 83 receiving yards. Running backs and tight ends caught 12 of Brady's 21 completions.

So the Patriots bring in Wes Welker, Kelley Washington and Donte' Stallworth.

Welker caught 67 passes last year -- most of them from Joey Harrington. What will he do with Brady?

Washington is 6-foot-3. Brady hasn't worked extensively with a receiver taller than six feet in his entire career. And Stallworth's speed is well known.

Did I mention none of these guys have achieved 1,000-yard seasons yet?

BucEyedPea
03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Enjoyed the article GoChiefs! :thumb:
Now maybe Brady will finally match his hero Montana for SB's, hopefully surpass him. It will certainly be exciting to see what he does with greater receiver talent around him.

Halfcan
03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Brady is gay that's why-everybody knows that.

Rausch
03-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Perhaps there's a lack of 1k WR's because Brady throws to the open guy and not the loudest guy. He spreads it around...

Bowser
03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Brady is gay that's why-everybody knows that.

If being gay means I have the opportunity to knock up both Bridget Moynahan and Gisele Bundsen, then consider me flaaaaming.

DJ's left nut
03-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I thought they were talking about his pursuit of Wilt Chamberlain.

Hammock Parties
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I thought they were talking about his pursuit of Wilt Chamberlain.

Heh. Brady was looking for advice from the master.

NJ Chief Fan
03-16-2007, 12:12 AM
How the hell did the Pats get a first rounder for a WR who has never had a 1000 yard season? I dont think I would of gave up 3rd for Branch.