PDA

View Full Version : For openers, KU is wary

Mr. Laz
03-16-2007, 09:55 AM
For openers, KU is wary

After the last two years, Jayhawks vow not to overlook Niagara in tonight’s NCAA Tournament first-round game.

By JASON KING
The Kansas City Star

CHICAGO | Kansas guard Russell Robinson was asked Thursday whether he had a “gut feeling” about the way the rest of the Jayhawks season would unfold.

“Yeah,” Robinson said. “My gut feeling is that we’ll wind up (at the Final Four) in Atlanta. But it’s going to take a lot of effort and hard work to get there.”

That work begins tonight when Kansas — the No. 1 seed in the West Region — takes on No. 16 seed Niagara at the United Center. Tipoff is at 6:10.

Even though a No. 1 seed has never lost to a No. 16 seed, KU guard Mario Chalmers stopped short of assuring a Jayhawks victory shortly before taking the court for Thursday’s practice.

“I’m not guaranteeing anything,” he said.

Chalmers and the Jayhawks know better. The last two seasons, after all, have ended with mammoth upsets in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. First came the loss to Bucknell in 2005. In 2006 it was Bradley.

Considering their recent past, no one will be surprised if the Jayhawks breathe a sigh of relief if they advance past tonight’s opening game.

“We were the hot team at the end of last year, and then we lost (to Bradley),” KU guard Brandon Rush said. “After that it was embarrassing to even walk across campus.”

Kansas’ players vow they won’t be overlooking their opponent when they take the court against Niagara tonight.

The Purple Eagles are 23-11 — an impressive record considering a handful of suspensions caused them to begin their season 1-6. Another interesting note about Niagara: Joe Mihalich’s squad defeated the same Marist team that beat Oklahoma State on Tuesday night in Stillwater.

“Niagara is not a No. 16 seed,” KU coach Bill Self said. “You play whoever you play, but that is not a 16 seed. They’re 21-4 since they had their full complement of players. They can really stretch a defense. We haven’t played anyone all year that can shoot it like they can.”

Indeed, Niagara has five players who have attempted 97 three-pointers or more. On Tuesday 6-foot-7 forward Clif Brown made six of them in a NCAA Tournament play-in victory over Florida A&M.

The Purple Eagles may not be as big or as talented as Kansas, but with the three-pointer being the great equalizer, the Jayhawks know they’re capable of being upset tonight if they don’t come to play.

“If we come out and don’t do things right, anyone can beat us,” Robinson said.

“Their whole team can shoot,” he said. “You don’t see many teams where all five guys can shoot the three. We’re going to have a big challenge on our hands.

“We just have to take advantage of our size and our running game. I don’t think many teams in the country can run like we run.”

Kansas is averaging 81.1 points during its current, 11-game winning streak, and it’s well-known that the Jayhawks tout one of the top defensive backcourts in the country. Niagara is averaging 13 turnovers a game — and it’s unlikely the Purple Eagles have faced a defensive test like the one they’ll see tonight.

“I’ve been watching film for 36 hours now and have yet to find a weakness,” Mihalich said. “It’s certainly a David vs. Goliath situation. We need to play at a level that we haven’t played at before to win.”
To reach Jason King, Kansas reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4386 or send e-mail to jking@kcstar.com

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16913693.htm

Skip Towne
03-16-2007, 10:22 AM
We have had a lot of 3's scored against us this year. We can't let them have open looks. Oh, yeah, and run their ass off.

Pitt Gorilla
03-16-2007, 11:15 AM
KU wins (at least) the first two rounds going away.

Lzen
03-16-2007, 11:18 AM

I think so, too. But after the last 2 years, I'm not taking anything for granted. And I'm weary of making any predictions.

Marist beat OSU the other night. But if you watched that game, you would know that OSU played like crap. They didn't seem too interested.

leviw
03-16-2007, 11:19 AM

First round, I agree. The second round game is going to be tough, regardless.

WilliamTheIrish
03-16-2007, 11:30 AM
First round, I agree. The second round game is going to be tough, regardless.

Yep. Winner of Wildcats vs Wildcats will be a tough game

leviw
03-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Yep. Winner of Wildcats vs Wildcats will be a tough game

Sure are a lot of Wildcats in this Tourney.