PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Righting a Wrong

C-Mac
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/03/16/gretz_righting_a_wrong/

GRETZ: Righting a Wrong
Mar 16, 2007, 8:35:26 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

It’s been a blister that Carl Peterson’s carried for the last five years. Last week, a healing salve was applied to the sore with the signing of Donnie Edwards.

Over his 18-year tenure as the man in charge of the Chiefs, Peterson has gained a reputation as the man who pulls all the strings, makes every decision and rules Arrowhead Stadium like an autocrat. Thus the imperial title “King Carl” that been bestowed on him by the pundits.

The truth is quite different. Although making decisions is something he does every day, he is not a dictator. Ask any of the men who have served as head coach for Peterson and there are very few times when they didn’t get the man they wanted, whether it was in the draft, a trade, or free agency. Marty Schottenheimer has said many times that in 10 years working together, he and Peterson had a serious disagreement over less than a handful of players.

There have been times when Peterson has overruled his coach, most famously in the 2003 draft when Dick Vermeil wanted to take Tyler Brayton with the Chiefs first-round pick and Peterson instead drafted Larry Johnson.

But that didn’t happen in the weeks after the 2001 season, Vermeil’s first as head coach. Defensive coordinator Greg Robinson was not a big fan of Edwards and his style of play. Edwards was a free agent and wanted badly to re-sign with the Chiefs. But Robinson convinced Vermeil that they shouldn’t spend any money on Edwards. Vermeil agreed and pushed Peterson to walk away from the linebacker the Chiefs selected in the fourth round of the 1996 NFL Draft.

Unable to re-sign with the Chiefs, Edwards actually got more money in signing a new deal with his hometown San Diego Chargers.

“I was never happy with that decision,” Peterson said. “I got talked into something and for the last five years, twice a year, we had to see him playing in the division, going to the Pro Bowl (2002), leading their team in tackles. He always played great against us. Always.”

Robinson only lasted two more seasons before he fell on his sword and left the team after the defensive debacle in the 2003 playoffs against the Colts. Edwards’ production was never replaced. Shawn Barber was signed for the ‘03 season as an unrestricted free agent from Philadelphia. After that first season, injury took him out of the lineup and he didn’t play a down for the Chiefs since the ‘05 season. Last year he was back with the Eagles and is currently a free agent.

Barber’s problems led to the signing of another free agent linebacker, Kendrell Bell in 2005. While Bell is still on the roster, he’s not been a major producer in the Chiefs lineup over the last two seasons.

Here are the numbers for Edwards in the last five seasons in San Diego, and the contributions made by Barber and Bell during their games with the Chiefs:

Barber missed half of the ‘04 season and most of the next season recovering from a bad knee injury. In three seasons, he was out of the lineup for 21 games. Bell arrived as injured goods when he signed as a free agent and that hampered him during the ‘05 season. Edwards has missed two games in his career, two out of 176 games. He’s started 137 consecutive games, the sixth longest active streak in the league. He’s had ability and availability.

Barber and Bell have not had the impact on the field over the last five seasons that Edwards did with the Chargers. And in 10 games against the Chiefs in those seasons, Edwards made his former team pay time after time. He averaged 9.8 tackles per game, with 2.5 sacks and three interceptions. He had a sack and an interception in the Chargers victory over the Chiefs last December in San Diego. In five games at Arrowhead, he averaged 11 tackles, including the meeting in ‘05 when he finished the game with 18 tackles.

Edwards will be 34 in April and this season will be his 12th in pro football. Those numbers do not fit the pattern of what Herm Edwards is looking for these days on the Chiefs roster. The coach wants the Chiefs to get younger.

But Herm Edwards also wants production and that’s certainly something Donnie Edwards has provided the Chargers for the last five years. With his 27 career interceptions, he leads all active linebackers and the way the Chiefs play defense these days should take advantage of Edwards pass coverage skills.

Make no mistake on this: signing Donnie Edwards adds a talented player to the roster. But it also allowed Carl Peterson to right a wrong.

Logical
03-16-2007, 06:54 PM
If this is such a great signing, why is everyone selling it so damn hard.:hmmm:

Eric
03-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Who uses words like 'healing salve'.

Only doctors.

KcMizzou
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
If this is such a great signing, why is everyone selling it so damn hard.:hmmm:I don't know that it is, but you have to give Peterson credit for admitting his perceived mistake. It's a bit out of character.

FAX
03-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Only doctors.

Veronica, the Princess of Physician Prostitutes is the only person I know of, Mr. Eric.

It's 5th grade level composition, that's for sure. Still, Gretz has probably been into the Nivea for some time now.

FAX

CoMoChief
03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
This isnt righting a wrong.

This is a publicity stunt trying to get fans in the stands because Edwards was a fan favorite.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2007, 08:09 PM

Only doctors.

nope only 80 year olds

el borracho
03-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Good grief I am already sick of having him back! The more I hear about Edwards the more I hope we draft Posluzny and start him from day one.

milkman
03-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Good grief I am already sick of having him back! The more I hear about Edwards the more I hope we draft Posluzny and start him from day one.

I have never been a fan of Donnie Edwards, but signing him now doesn't bother me.

It allows us to adrress other positions in the draft this year, and we can address LB in next year's draft.

Now if the best available player when we pick is a LB, then go for it.

But that player won't be Posluzny in the first round.

el borracho
03-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm neither excited nor unhappy that we signed Edwards; I'm just sick of hearing about it. It's like everyone is lining up to suck him off. It's disgusting.

milkman
03-16-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm neither excited nor unhappy that we signed Edwards; I'm just sick of hearing about it. It's like everyone is lining up to suck him off. It's disgusting.

He was a fan favorite (Why? I don't know), and they are playing to their audience.

KcMizzou
03-16-2007, 08:37 PM
He was a fan favorite (Why? I don't know), and they are playing to their audience.You really think Donnie Edwards is going to fill the seats?

I mean... he's not a name that'd make me buy a ticket if I wasnt planning on it already.

milkman
03-16-2007, 08:39 PM
You really think Donnie Edwards is going to fill the seats?

I mean... he's not a name that'd make me buy a ticket if I wasnt planning on it already.

I don't know about filling seats, but he'll sell papers, so to speak.

KcMizzou
03-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know about filling seats, but he'll sell papers, so to speak.True... it's got people talking, I guess.

Halfcan
03-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Maybe Donnie has learned to hit harder-he was always kind of a hang on your jersey guy.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2007, 09:40 PM
If this is such a great signing, why is everyone selling it so damn hard.:hmmm:
because Carl told them too.

kc rush
03-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Blah Blah Blah - Carl is great - Blah Blah Blah - its the coaches fault - Blah Blah Blah - Donnie Edwards - Blah Blah Blah - I wish I could have Carl's babies - Blah Blah Blah

HemiEd
03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I don't know that it is, but you have to give Peterson credit for admitting his perceived mistake. It's a bit out of character.

He did the same thing with Gunther, I hope this works out better.

HemiEd
03-16-2007, 10:55 PM
because Carl told them too.

I thought he was on vacation?

Kerberos
03-17-2007, 05:50 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16922083.htm

Perfect ending for Edwards
Veteran linebacker, again a Chief, says he wants to finish what he started in Kansas City.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Linebacker Donnie Edwards had the chance to make some free-agent visits. He possibly could have attracted a bigger financial offer than the one he eventually settled for.

But months ago, from the moment he discovered he would be free to shop his services, Edwards decided there was the perfect spot for him to finish his career.

In the same place it started.

“I wanted to come back to Kansas City,” said Edwards, who last week agreed to terms of a three-year contract worth about $13.5 million. “I wanted everything to work out here. I’m back where I wanted to be.”

Edwards, his Italian vacation finished a day earlier, was at Arrowhead Stadium on Friday to take his physical exam and sign the contract. Unlike the Chiefs’ other new arrivals, Edwards didn’t need to be shown the way to the weight room, locker room or coaches offices.

Edwards spent the first six seasons of his career with the Chiefs and was consistently among their best defenders. But the Chiefs after the 2001 season inexplicably decided Edwards was no longer of value to them.

Greg Robinson, then the defensive coordinator, told Edwards that in his system, it wasn’t worth paying high dollars to linebackers.

Edwards then signed with division rival San Diego and excelled for the Chargers for five seasons. Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson has said that releasing Edwards was among his biggest mistakes.

“He’s told me that before, too.” Edwards said.

Still, the snub cut Edwards deep.

Edwards, a native Californian, had come to love Kansas City and wanted to be one of the players, like his good friend Tony Gonzalez, who would spend his entire career with the Chiefs.

So Edwards views his return as a chance to right the initial wrong.

“It’s been five years,” he said. “There are different ways you can look at things. I’ve always looked at it that it happened, it was out of my control and I had a great opportunity to play in my hometown and now I get to come back.”

Edwards will be 34 in April. His addition goes against the desire of Peterson and coach Herm Edwards to invigorate the roster with youth.

But Herm Edwards saw the chance to bring a proven leader to a linebacking group that includes two younger starting players, Derrick Johnson and Napoleon Harris.

“Our linebackers were all young guys,” Herm Edwards said. “There was nobody to lead in that way. Now we’ve got a guy who can not only lead, but he’s also been a very productive player.

“Derrick Johnson needs a mentor to help him become the player he can be. I would hope he would have aspirations of having a career like Donnie Edwards has had so far. Hopefully, he will learn what Donnie has done to play like he has for so many years. He will see him every day, so he should learn that.

“That’s what we did at Tampa to build that defense. If you were a young defensive tackle, you watched how Warren Sapp prepared. If you were a young linebacker, you watched how Derrick Brooks prepared. If you were a young defensive back, you watched how John Lynch or Donnie Abraham or Ronde Barber prepared.”

That part of it is OK with Donnie Edwards, too. Better, he figured, to be a Chiefs’ elder statesman late than never.

“Sometimes you want to get younger, get a lot of draft picks,” he said. “It means a little, but when you have experience and guys who know what they’re doing and have been there before versus someone who hasn’t done it before . . .

“I’m healthy, been very durable. That’s all that matters.”

elvomito
03-17-2007, 07:13 AM
so who will be leaving...
grigsby, fox, griffin, scanlon, or mitchell?
maybe two of them

milkman
03-17-2007, 07:23 AM
so who will be leaving...
grigsby, fox, griffin, scanlon, or mitchell?
maybe two of them

Boomer is being converted to FB.

Dark Horse
03-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Heres my take on the Edwards signing. Donnie Edwards brings one very valuable skill to this defense, pass coverage ability. He is not good at the point of attack on run plays but does chase plays well. We won't be seeing many wide open tight ends or 60 yard runs on his side, but we will see a lot of running at him for 5 to 10 yards a pop. In the end he is an improvement over Bell, and hopefully a full year removed from his knee injury Fox will begin to ascend again and take his spot next year.

Dark Horse
03-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Boomer is being converted to FB.

and from fullback to street free agent.

milkman
03-17-2007, 07:43 AM
Heres my take on the Edwards signing. Donnie Edwards brings one very valuable skill to this defense, pass coverage ability. He is not good at the point of attack on run plays but does chase plays well. We won't be seeing many wide open tight ends or 60 yard runs on his side, but we will see a lot of running at him for 5 to 10 yards a pop. In the end he is an improvement over Bell, and hopefully a full year removed from his knee injury Fox will begin to ascend again and take his spot next year.

I think the Chiefs draft another LB in the next couple of years.

Dark Horse
03-17-2007, 07:52 AM
1st round?

milkman
03-17-2007, 07:58 AM
1st round?

Depends.

Certainly not this year, unless Willis somehow fell.

Dark Horse
03-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I think that we have to go offense in the 1st round this year. We can not continue to neglect the offense as we try to repair the defense. An offensive lineman or receiver would be my guess.

milkman
03-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I think that we have to go offense in the 1st round this year. We can not continue to neglect the offense as we try to repair the defense. An offensive lineman or receiver would be my guess.

It looks like a receiver.
If they take an O-Lineman in the first round, it will be a reach.

But they can't pass on a defensive player if one fell that was clearly the best player on the board.

Take the best available player, regardless.

Bootlegged
03-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Yet another reason G - Rob was correctly run out of town.

StcChief
03-17-2007, 09:19 AM
and from fullback to street free agent.
Don't bet on that.

milkman
03-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Yet another reason G - Rob was correctly run out of town.

If only.

Spinner resigned of his own accord.

If Dick had his way, he would have been here for the duration of Dick's stint.