PDA

View Full Version : Hell, why not? Lions trying to trade down.

The Poz
03-17-2007, 09:20 AM
http://origin.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5457658

They're asking for multiple draft picks. But, they're a team in need a true leader at the QB position and they don't have any proven safties. Trent could start and one of our 4 safties (preferably Wesly or Knight) could fit right in.
Package Trent with our 23rd overall and one of our safties for that #2 overall - Calvin Johnson!

Could you guys imagine a recieving core of Calvin, Eddie, Tony and Sammie in the slot. Defences wouldn't know what to do. Stack the box for LJ or try to double the recievers.

Just a thought that I'm sure won't even get considered from Carl, but damn. I'd be up for it.

Brock
03-17-2007, 09:31 AM
i would think it would cost a lot more than that to move up that high...

The Poz
03-17-2007, 09:38 AM
i would think it would cost a lot more than that to move up that high...
Yeah, I suppose another draft pick (late rounder along with what I mentioned) will be needed, but it is Millen we're talking about.

Ebolapox
03-17-2007, 09:39 AM
that would be sweet, but unrealistic (millen or otherwise)

Direckshun
03-17-2007, 09:40 AM
It's tempting. But Herm won't make any trade that involves us having fewer draft picks than before. At the absolute most, he'd trade first round picks with the Lions and offer a few more players as compensation.

Where are the Lions hurting right now (ignoring the fact that they suck just about everywhere)?

DE: They signed Dewayne White, but they need another big sacker.

Depth at DT.

They're dying at OT. They signed George Foster, but they're going to need at least two more, including one more solid starter.

FS: They're dying here.

MLB: They got nothing here.

TE: Nothin'. God this team sucks.

QB: This team has absolutely nothing for QB.

The good news is, we have a ton of expendable players at these positions that the Lions might consider valuable.

We've been thinking about trading Jared Allen. At OT, Sampson, Turley, or Svitek would give them depth, if not a starter. Greg Wesley at FS. Kawika Mitchell at MLB (if we resign the guy), not to mention Fox or Bell if we go as far to put them on the trading block. It'd be unpopular with ChiefsPlanet, but we could trade Kris Wilson at TE since we already have an All Pro there and FB prospects. And Trent Green would add leadership and a solid QB to either back-up or start.

We could trade a number of these players and replace them without much difficulty (save Allen). And include the prospect of switching first round picks, and it gets a lot more interesting.

The bad news is, the Lions want picks, not players, so I seriously doubt they'd go for it.

You know the Broncos are in the market for this deal, though. They were already trying to get the Redskins' 6th. I bet they make a run for this 2nd.

milkman
03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
It would take a lot more than the crap you guys are suggesting to move up into the #2 spot.

And why the hell would the Lions wait until the Chiefs signed Mitchell to trade for him?

If they wanted to pick him up, they could sign him for free.

noa
03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
They would have no reason to want Trent Green. They already have one old QB to start (Kitna will be 35 this year). They are probably looking for a young replacement to step in a year or two down the line.

Direckshun
03-17-2007, 11:01 AM
Kitna sucks. Trent doesn't.

I don't think they'll do it either but c'mon.

milkman
03-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Kitna sucks. Trent doesn't.

I don't think they'll do it either but c'mon.

C'mon?

That trade scenario in no way, shape, or form doesn't approach reasonable or realistic.

CoMoChief
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
http://origin.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5457658

They're asking for multiple draft picks. But, they're a team in need a true leader at the QB position and they don't have any proven safties. Trent could start and one of our 4 safties (preferably Wesly or Knight) could fit right in.
Package Trent with our 23rd overall and one of our safties for that #2 overall - Calvin Johnson!

Could you guys imagine a recieving core of Calvin, Eddie, Tony and Sammie in the slot. Defenses wouldn't know what to do. Stack the box for LJ or try to double the recievers.

Just a thought that I'm sure won't even get considered from Carl, but damn. I'd be up for it.

This isn't Madden for Xbox360.

So we get the #2 overall pick in this season's draft for a 37 yr old QB whos playing days are numbered, a low valued 1st round pick, and a shitty or at best mediocre safety? I dont even think Matt Millen is that retarded.

Mecca
03-17-2007, 12:52 PM
We'd have to trade a ton of shit.....but hey how much do you value Calvin Johnson?

milkman
03-17-2007, 12:59 PM
We'd have to trade a ton of shit.....but hey how much do you value Calvin Johnson?

I'd love to have Calvin Johnson, but not at the cost of moving up 15+ spots.

Mecca
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Well I think he's going to be HOF good but even then....

unothadeal
03-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Personally, if we get the #2 pick, I wouldn't use it on Calvin Johnson

Mecca
03-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Personally, if we get the #2 pick, I wouldn't use it on Calvin Johnson

Because............do you hate the best player in the draft and best WR prospect in 15 years?

unothadeal
03-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Because............do you hate the best player in the draft and best WR prospect in 15 years?
No, it's just that I believe we take Joe Thomas instead. You said it yourself. Damion Macintosh is nothing special and I rather give Trent/Damon/Brodie more than 2 seconds to get the ball to CJ. He might be fast, but he's not that fast.

Mecca
03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd despise you for that pick........

unothadeal
03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd despise you for that pick........
Why? Because I want my QB to survive week 1? I'm not sold on Damion Macintosh and I KNOW he's not a long term LT.

KurtCobain
03-17-2007, 03:42 PM
We trade a shitload and players, our first and second pick, to go down to #2. But Al Davis takes CJ and we all cry like pussies.

I think we should trade expendable talent and maybe later picks for #2, then trade down a few spots and get something we need, then take Alan Branch.

And if the chiefs don't bounce on this, I bet the patriots will. They have extra picks and lack depth at WR. Brady throwing to Stallworth and CJ, and NE has some more rings. Bellabitch knows it.

Mecca
03-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I think Alan Branch is going to be a bust.......I'm also not a fan of ever taking a OT top 5 especially over Calvin Johnson who is bar none the best player in this draft.

bdeg
03-17-2007, 04:52 PM
We trade a shitload and players, our first and second pick, to go down to #2. But Al Davis takes CJ and we all cry like pussies.

I think we should trade expendable talent and maybe later picks for #2, then trade down a few spots and get something we need, then take Alan Branch.

And if the chiefs don't bounce on this, I bet the patriots will. They have extra picks and lack depth at WR. Brady throwing to Stallworth and CJ, and NE has some more rings. Bellabitch knows it.

First off, TEAMS DON'T WANT EXPENDABLE TALENT.

Everybody keeps suggesting this. Nobody would go for it. You can find "expendable talent" in free agency. Why would they give up the #2 pick in the draft for it?

Also, the patriots do have one extra 1st round pick, but remember they traded their 2nd and 7th picks for Welker. I don't think they are looking for another receiver, so I doubt they would have much interest in this.

unothadeal
03-17-2007, 04:52 PM
I think Alan Branch is going to be a bust.......I'm also not a fan of ever taking a OT top 5 especially over Calvin Johnson who is bar none the best player in this draft.
It's really just a matter opinion. One that doesn't matter because this won't happen

bdeg
03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Haha, did anyone actually read the article? Evidently CJ had a 42,000 inch vertical.

Trade the entire offense. All we need is casey to hike it, croyle to lob it, and CJ will jump half a mile in the air, catch it, and land in the endzone.

milkman
03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
First off, TEAMS DON'T WANT EXPENDABLE TALENT.

It is rather funny that people think our crap players could move us up in the draft 21 spots.

LMAO

ct
03-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Looks like it's about time to dust this off for the '07 Draft Season.

If we had the 23rd and 4th overall pick, that almost adds up to #2.

Micjones
03-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure that we have much of anything the Lions would be interested in. At least not to the tune of the #2 overall pick in this year's draft. That's wishful thinking...

tooge
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Id rather see them move up to about 10 or so and get branch at DT. this is actually a pretty deep receiver draft, and they could get someone in the second or third. Plus, we still have Webb and Hannon.

Micjones
03-19-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not sold on Webb or Hannon.

I want to see this team make a real commitment at improving their receiving corps. Veteran acquisitions and late-round picks don't move me one bit.

Man up Carl and draft either Bowe or Meachem with your #1.

Though you make a great point Tooge.
We could probably snag Craig Davis in the 2nd.

milkman
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure that we have much of anything the Lions would be interested in. At least not to the tune of the #2 overall pick in this year's draft. That's wishful thinking...

No, that's not wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking is hoping that Amobi Okoye will fall somewhere into the 16-20 range and the Chiefs move up to take him.

Thinking there's anyway we can move into the #2 spot is simply delusional.

ct
03-20-2007, 08:24 AM

Wishful thinking is hoping that Amobi Okoye will fall somewhere into the 16-20 range and the Chiefs move up to take him.

trudat

Micjones
03-20-2007, 09:08 AM

Touche.

Ha ha...