PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rule Committee's Been Talking

Direckshun
03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Per Peter King on this week's MMQB.

Three things being discussed, was wondering what your thoughts were on them:

1. Whether the sudden-death concept is fair in overtime. Over the last five years, 35% of overtime games have been decided in the first possession.

2. Whether instant replay should remain permanent.

3. Establishing coach-to-defensive-captain communication through a speaker in the helmet, similar to the coach-to-quarterback speaker.

StcChief
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Full quarter of OT.
Definitely a D capt comm to coach.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2007, 01:04 PM
1. Leave it alone.

2. Leave it alone.

3. Do it.

Chiefnj
03-19-2007, 01:07 PM
I think sudden death is fair. Coaches know that if they don't play to win in regulation their fate is decided by a coin toss.

4th and Long
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
1. Leave it alone.

2. Leave it alone.

3. Do it.
What he said.

I feel dirty now.

crazycoffey
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
My thoughts;

1) sudden death, sometimes it sucks, but if you don't like it, don't let the score be tied at the end of regulation. Not because I'm one of the traditionalist, but because the game is long enough already. Plus, it's an added pressure cooker for us fans.

I won't mind if they change it though, it will not hurt my feelings.

2) Instant replay should be permanent, I like that they can overturn wrong calls, but would like the refs to remain attentive to the amount of time it takes and how it can slow momentum down.

3) I don't like the coach to QB communication, but since that happens, I can't believe the coach to MLB hasn't happened yet. doesn't seem fair, really. One way or the other, both or none.

htismaqe
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I don't think the current OT system is UNFAIR.

I do, however, much prefer the college OT format.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
I think they should get rid of Coach-to-QB communication. I'd love to see a return to the era when we had REAL field generals.

Eleazar
03-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Over the last five years, 35% of overtime games have been decided in the first possession.

That means that 65% of them are NOT. :rolleyes:

Phobia
03-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Wow. I hate the college OT. It's a joke.

crazycoffey
03-19-2007, 01:14 PM
BTW, Peter Kings first Paragraph

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/18/overtime/index.html

I've never been a big fan of the NFL's current overtime system. Even though only 29 percent of all overtime games have been won on the first possession of extra time, that's 29 percent too often for me. NFL teams have only 16 regular-season games a year, and those games are too important for something as vital as first possession of the ball to be determined by a coin flip. The rule is madness. Both teams should have at least one crack at the ball in overtime.

so where did 35% come from? Is this a five year number compared to a lifetime number, just asking....

bkkcoh
03-19-2007, 01:16 PM

With pro kickers, giving them the ball on the opposition's 25 would be a joke. Maybe if the gave it too them on the 50 yard line. But I am not sure of that even..

go bo
03-19-2007, 01:34 PM

I do, however, much prefer the college OT format.ahhh yes, but can you play ot? preferably on the right side...

Saulbadguy
03-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I like college OT. I dislike having to explain the college OT to the women present during the game.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2007, 01:37 PM
The reason I like the OT as it is now is there is more drama. More drama = good.

FringeNC
03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I used to be for instant replay, now I don't think so. It seems half the time, they don't get it right, and it biases the calls on the field because they want to make them "reviewable"...in which case there has to be overwhleming evidence....

The NFL seems to be worried about the length of their games. I'd rather see more plays than replay officials huddling around. How about a rule change that the clock stops on first down?

I wonder what has happened to the average number of plays over the last 25 years? Until the recent idiotic rule changes in college football, it seemed that there were about twice as many plays in a college game versus a pro game.

Eleazar
03-19-2007, 01:50 PM
college OT >>>>>>>> pro OT

tooge
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
with all the money the NFL spends and makes to put a quality product on the field, and with the extent that they have gone to create parity, doesnt it seem a little strange to let a game come down to a coin toss? Yeah they still gotta play, but all it takes is one bad PI call, one corner slipping, etc, and an otherwise great game could come down to who won the toss. I say give em the ball at the 50 with 4downs. Both teams have equal chances.

JBucc
03-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I like college OT's format except start the on their own 30 instead of the opponents 25. Starting on your opponents 25 makes it more like a Madden mini-game than real football.

Mecca
03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I think they should get rid of Coach-to-QB communication. I'd love to see a return to the era when we had REAL field generals.

Then Manning would distance himself even further from the rest of the QB's.............

Personally I don't get why instant replay is so difficult to get right. Can't you just have an official in a booth tell them whether they got something right or wrong? And then change it within a minute.

Personally I don't even like the current system, I'd rather the game take long if it means getting everything right.

noa
03-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Then Manning would distance himself even further from the rest of the QB's.............

Personally I don't get why instant replay is so difficult to get right. Can't you just have an official in a booth tell them whether they got something right or wrong? And then change it within a minute.

Personally I don't even like the current system, I'd rather the game take long if it means getting everything right.

I know, why does it have to be the official on the field to make the final ruling? If you had a guy who specializes in video replay, the decision could be made by him upstairs and the game could move on quickly.
Is this idea being proposed? I sure as hell hope so. They need a way to speed up the review process.

Direckshun
03-19-2007, 02:06 PM
BTW, Peter Kings first Paragraph

I've never been a big fan of the NFL's current overtime system. Even though only 29 percent of all overtime games have been won on the first possession of extra time, that's 29 percent too often for me.
It's 29% all time. It's 35% the last five years.

Crush
03-19-2007, 02:14 PM
1. Leave it alone. It is not the opponent's fault that a team's defense chokes when it really counts.

2. Leave it alone.

3. Yes, please.

siberian khatru
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
NFL teams have only 16 regular-season games a year, and those games are too important for something as vital as first possession of the ball to be determined by a coin flip.

Then play some ****ing defense.

DTLB58
03-19-2007, 02:15 PM
1. Leave it alone.

2. Leave it alone.

3. Do it.

Agree, :clap:

htismaqe
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
With pro kickers, giving them the ball on the opposition's 25 would be a joke. Maybe if the gave it too them on the 50 yard line. But I am not sure of that even..

I'm not suggesting you duplicate the college method exactly. Of course you're going to have to make it more difficult.

But I just like the college format better. In fact, I like the college game better, they do alot of things right, ie. pass interference.

keg in kc
03-19-2007, 02:46 PM
In fact, I like the college game better, they do alot of things right, ie. pass interference.I agree with that.

The NFL needs to restore some semblence of balance back to the DB/WR arena. The PI spot foul crap, the 5-yard touching rule, all the bullshit that's designed to give offensive players a competitive advantage needs to go the way of zubaz.

Not to mention the way the QB essentially can't be touched. I understand the money they put into these guys, but jesus horatio christ, they wear pads for a reason.

(yes, I realize how odd that sounds the offseason after the Trent Green concussion)

I've never liked the sudden death rule and I never will. I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be a better system.

htismaqe
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I agree with that.

The NFL needs to restore some semblence of balance back to the DB/WR arena. The PI spot foul crap, the 5-yard touching rule, all the bullshit that's designed to give offensive players a competitive advantage needs to go the way of zubaz.

Not to mention the way the QB essentially can't be touched. I understand the money they put into these guys, but jesus horatio christ, they wear pads for a reason.

(yes, I realize how odd that sounds the offseason after the Trent Green concussion)

I've never liked the sudden death rule and I never will. I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be a better system.

I just don't understand the need to artificially enhance the flow of the game. Perhaps the NFL feels the need to cater to a wider audience with a shorter attention span. Maybe it's caused by the Madden games. I don't know what it is, but college football is just more, well, "football-ish".

At the rate the NFL is handing advantages to the offense, it might not be long before one can say with a straight face:

The NFL is to college football what WWE is to college wrestling.

keg in kc
03-19-2007, 03:10 PM
It's easy, Parker.

Scoring = good.

I sometimes wonder how good some of the phenomenal defenses from the last decade would have been had they played under the ruleset from the 60's or 70's. Because they're essentially teams winning the fight with one hand tied behind their back...

HemiEd
03-19-2007, 03:27 PM

I agree.

chefsos
03-19-2007, 03:35 PM
You know, at first I just nodded my head in agreement at this obvious truth. But then I started thinking.

And, once I got that out of my system, I came up with this, assuming the college OT system was adopted in the NFL tomorrow: Why not the 25? Sure, the average pro kicker can (one would hope) drill 30-35 yarders all day if the coaches just decide to sit on the ball and let the kicker do it.

But, the mere fact that it is generally a chip shot from the first snap actually takes the "my kicker vs. your kicker" game right out of the equation IMO. All it would take is for a few coaches to say "Fook this, I'm going for the win", and all the rest of them would know that starting a FG war is pretty foolish if you're the only one fighting it.

Also, you start 'em at the 40 or 50 and the team that's lucky enough to have a big leg on the roster suddenly has a huge advantage...

boogblaster
03-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Current OT= if your D sucks u lose ...Replays= they help keep the game even...Mics in helments= should be banned for O & D ....

FringeNC
03-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I just don't understand the need to artificially enhance the flow of the game. Perhaps the NFL feels the need to cater to a wider audience with a shorter attention span. Maybe it's caused by the Madden games. I don't know what it is, but college football is just more, well, "football-ish".

At the rate the NFL is handing advantages to the offense, it might not be long before one can say with a straight face:

The NFL is to college football what WWE is to college wrestling.

The speed of the DBs has screwed up the game. That's why the advantages are being given to the offense. The field is getting to small for guys that are this fast. It's like what has happened in the NBA. The speed, height, and strength of the players has made the court to easy to defend.

You didn't have guys running 4.16 40s when football invented.

What made the old AFL so exciting and high-scoring is that all the speed was on offense. Teams paid for offensive talent, but not defensive. Something has to give in the NFL -- allowing mutiple men in motion, allow offensive lineman to hold, widen the field -- something -- because so many games are just so boring to watch because so many offenses are so inept.

dirk digler
03-19-2007, 03:50 PM
1. Change it
2. Leave it alone
3. That idea is stupid

Also from what I understand the Bears are proposing the rule change to expand the game day rosters by 2-3 active players. I bet if this passes DV will be extremely happy.

Frosty
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Also from what I understand the Bears are proposing the rule change to expand the game day rosters by 2-3 active players.

That is a stupid rule, IMO. In this day of the salary cap, you should be able to have as many players as will fit under the cap and have them all active. That way, in a blowout, you can get your young players some experience, like in college.

dirk digler
03-19-2007, 03:56 PM
That is a stupid rule, IMO. In this day of the salary cap, you should be able to have as many players as will fit under the cap and have them all active. That way, in a blowout, you can get your young players some experience, like in college.

I totally agree.

htismaqe
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
The speed of the DBs has screwed up the game. That's why the advantages are being given to the offense. The field is getting to small for guys that are this fast. It's like what has happened in the NBA. The speed, height, and strength of the players has made the court to easy to defend.

You didn't have guys running 4.16 40s when football invented.

What made the old AFL so exciting and high-scoring is that all the speed was on offense. Teams paid for offensive talent, but not defensive. Something has to give in the NFL -- allowing mutiple men in motion, allow offensive lineman to hold, widen the field -- something -- because so many games are just so boring to watch because so many offenses are so inept.

Some people call a 7-3 game "boring".

Others call that "football".

sedated
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
colllege OT will never go because they are worried about injuring players, and will take special teams out completely.

the simplest thing is just to let both teams have a possession.

but the NFL seems to do a good job of taking a simple idea and making it overly-complicated...and then marketing it

Hydrae
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Play a full extra quarter for OT. If it is still tied, then go to sudden death. But none of this placing the ball on a certain yard line or anything, just basically extend the game. Either coin flip for the OT or use the same set up as the beginning of the game to determine which team gets the ball to start.

Keep replay, make it permanent. I bet most casual fans don't even know it is still temporary.

I agree with what has already been stated, either both O and D get communication or neither. More balance between the two sides that way.

Chiefnj
03-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Some people call a 7-3 game "boring".

Others call that "football".

It depends. 7-3 can be exciting if you have a Ravens and Bears defense on the field. On the other hand it could be the result of the Chiefs inept OL battling the Texans inept OL.

TrickyNicky
03-19-2007, 04:51 PM
As others have said in other threads, the best solution to OT that I've heard is a first-to-six sudden death. Meaning, you either get in the end zone or kick a fg, stop your opponent from scoring a TD, and kick another. This would make OT more exciting IMO, because think about how many coaches would go for it on 4th down in the red zone? If they make it, game over. If they don't, the opponent has to drive 90+ yards to win.

big nasty kcnut
03-19-2007, 05:25 PM
I rather have a ot like collage but the football is placed on the 50 yard line. Instant replay should stay and add the coach defensive player mic to communicate.

Bugeater
03-19-2007, 05:55 PM
1. I've always thought a 5 minute overtime would be sufficient. If you can't get the ball back and match or beat any OT scoring your opponent did in that amount of time you don't deserve to win.

2. Keep it, there's too many refs with their heads in their asses out there.

3. Could care less.

4. Add a rule where if a team blocks a punt they get the ball NO MATTER WHAT.

Hound333
03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
As others have said in other threads, the best solution to OT that I've heard is a first-to-six sudden death. Meaning, you either get in the end zone or kick a fg, stop your opponent from scoring a TD, and kick another. This would make OT more exciting IMO, because think about how many coaches would go for it on 4th down in the red zone? If they make it, game over. If they don't, the opponent has to drive 90+ yards to win.

I actually like this way the best. The only problem I have with the current OT is that a team only has to drive 30-40 yards and kick a FG to win.

I would be in favor of any system that allows the second team at least one offensive drive.

milkman
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Then Manning would distance himself even further from the rest of the QB's..............

So what?

But I actually think that isn't true.

When QBs called their own plays back in the day, they seemed to have a better feel for the game than coordinators do today, in general.

whoman69
03-19-2007, 09:18 PM
The only thing that needs to be done in OT is to move kickoffs up. Starting field position beyond the 35 yard line means teams only have to move the ball 35 yards to win the game. That is not a real big challenge. Until they changed the rules for kickoffs the team that won the toss only won the game 53% of the time, hardly even an advantage.

Slick32
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Per Peter King on this week's MMQB.

Three things being discussed, was wondering what your thoughts were on them:

1. Whether the sudden-death concept is fair in overtime. Over the last five years, 35% of overtime games have been decided in the first possession.

2. Whether instant replay should remain permanent.

3. Establishing coach-to-defensive-captain communication through a speaker in the helmet, similar to the coach-to-quarterback speaker.

1. Overtime - - - I would rather see one full quarter of play. I don't care if the players have to play an extra quarter. Most of us actually have to work overtime and we aren't getting anywhere near what the players are getting. It's a game and a game shouldn't be decided by chance.

2. Instant replay - - - Make it permanent, but take the decision away from the guys that made the call. If you run across a stubborn Referee your team might get screwed just because he refuses to reverse a call. We've all seen obvious plays where reversal is or is not warranted and the guy does just the opposite of what 99% of the people can actually see on the video. Plus the timing would be more effecient.

3. Comms to MLB - - - My opinion is that there should be no comms between the coaches and players. Game planning is what should be stressed. The QB needs to be the field general and make all of the calls based on the preparation duiring the week.

jjjayb
03-19-2007, 10:50 PM
with all the money the NFL spends and makes to put a quality product on the field, and with the extent that they have gone to create parity, doesnt it seem a little strange to let a game come down to a coin toss? Yeah they still gotta play, but all it takes is one bad PI call, one corner slipping, etc, and an otherwise great game could come down to who won the toss. I say give em the ball at the 50 with 4downs. Both teams have equal chances.

How the heck can you people keep saying it comes down to the coin toss. AGAIN, less than half the teams who get the ball first actually score. Faced with the facts you still say it comes down to whoever gets the coin toss when in fact it's just the opposite. The team who gets the toss has a 65% chance of losing. :rolleyes:

Football is about defense as well as offense. If your D can't make one frigging stop then you don't deserve the win. Period.

Crush
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
How the heck can you people keep saying it comes down to the coin toss. AGAIN, less than half the teams who get the ball first actually score. Faced with the facts you still say it comes down to whoever gets the coin toss when in fact it's just the opposite. The team who gets the toss has a 65% chance of losing. :rolleyes:

Football is about defense as well as offense. If your D can't make one frigging stop then you don't deserve the win. Period.

Well said. Can't win in OT? Get a better defense.

listopencil
03-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Keep OT the way it is except one thing...you just keep playing. Treat it like the end of a quarter instead of the end of a half. The two teams continue to play and the first one to score wins.

listopencil
03-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Keep instant replay but require networks to post the same number of cameramen for each and every game. Or use NFL cameramen for the jobs, but keep the same number every time.

SPchief
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
The team who gets the toss has a 65% chance of losing.

I think that you have your facts wrong.

listopencil
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
Expand the communication in the helmets even more. Give coaches the ability to talk to all players and give players the ability to talk to each other freely. It would help out the D play and it would drive Manning insane.

SPchief
03-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Expand the communication in the helmets even more. Give coaches the ability to talk to all players and give players the ability to talk to each other freely. It would help out the D play and it would drive Manning insane.

:shake:

How about no communication at all besides hand signals?

Bob Dole
03-20-2007, 01:12 AM
In overtime, they should make everyone wear leather helmets without facemasks.

keg in kc
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I like the idea of moving kickoff's up.

How about disallowing field goals in overtime. You have to get in the endzone to win.

Chief Henry
03-20-2007, 10:01 AM

My thoughts exactly. Lenny Dawson always talks about this.

chiefqueen
03-20-2007, 10:37 AM

My idea would be to eliminate kickers (no FG or PATs) but also have the numbers of plays needed to score factor in. For instances if Team A scored a TD and converted a 2-point conversion in 4 plays, Team B would have to score in 4 plays to extend the game. If Team B took less than 4 plays to score (and converted the 2-pointer) Team B would win, if Team B also scored in 4 plays, an extra OT period would be played, if Team B does not score a TD in 4 plays (or didn't convert the 2-pointer), Team A wins.

Offensive penalties would count as plays but defensive penalties would not.

In my system both teams would see the ball but it is designed to keep the OT period short.

htismaqe
03-20-2007, 10:39 AM

How about disallowing field goals in overtime. You have to get in the endzone to win.

There you go.

You've adopted the college OT premise without adopting the format verbatim.

GO for the win.

Chiefnj
03-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Instant replay should be handled upstairs in the booth. Mandate the same number of cameras and angles for all games.

OT - Each team is given 2 minutes and 2 time outs and they start from their own 20.

morphius
03-20-2007, 10:44 AM

Yeah, I sort of liked someone's idea that you have to win by 6 in overtime. Either 2 FG's, or a TD to win, or you have a 3 point lead when time runs out.

htismaqe
03-20-2007, 10:45 AM
Instant replay should be handled upstairs in the booth. Mandate the same number of cameras and angles for all games.

OT - Each team is given 2 minutes and 2 time outs and they start from their own 20.

I agree on replay. I like the way college handles it with a dedicated official basically reviewing every play. The only downside is that it's still prone to making the wrong call. But at least it doesn't impede the progress of the game.

keg in kc
03-20-2007, 10:46 AM
]OT - Each team is given 2 minutes and 2 time outs and they start from their own 20.I've heard something similar to that in the past, and think it's an interesting idea.

I also see merit to making it a normal 15-minute quarter, and alternating possessions beginning on the 20.

Brock
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
No field goals on first possession by either team in OT.

sedated
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
special teams is considered 1/3 of football, i seriously doubt they totally eliminate it from OT.

that's like deciding extra inning baseball games with a homerun derby

crazycoffey
03-20-2007, 10:52 AM
What about overtime just being a 5 or 6 minute mini quarter, a fifth quarter (I know that sounds retarded, but I don't know what else to call it)?

and if the score is still tied after that than it goes down as a tie for both teams.

Bob Dole
03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
What about overtime just being a 5 or 6 minute mini quarter, a fifth quarter (I know that sounds retarded, but I don't know what else to call it)?

and if the score is still tied after that than it goes down as a tie for both teams.

That's not going to change the outcome of 75% of the games under the current format.

Crush
03-20-2007, 11:13 AM
I would just like to add that college OT is an abomination. Keep the NFL OT the way it is. It is the defense's job to stop the offense. If your defense can't make one stop in OT then you deserve to lose.

crazycoffey
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
That's not going to change the outcome of 75% of the games under the current format.

why not, it would change the focus of a good return, a couple good passes and run a few for safe measure and then kicking the game ending field goal. The teams would change the game plan and go for a TD, settling for a FG, maybe, but then the other team would still have time on the clock to do something.....

better than each team gets a chance, score fast enough and each team could get two chances. It was just a thought and seemed more simplified than changing the Special teams aspect or saying each team gets one possession.... IMO

Slick32
03-20-2007, 11:31 AM
One full 15 minute quarter. Two Time outs. Who ever is ahead at the end of the period wins, tie if score is even.

Frosty
03-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I would still like to see OT done like in NFLE - each team gets at least one possession - sudden death after that if one of the teams isn't ahead after both possessions.

Rausch
03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
I like sudden death much better.

I love the idea of having a defensive player with a headset. Hey, why shouldn't they? The offense does...

Chiefnj
03-20-2007, 12:49 PM
I think the opposing team should get to name the player who has to wear the headset for the entire game.

Solari: "Okay we're gonna run a 24 countersweep blue devil on three"

Snoop " Got it, two-fo, count of beep dirt devil on a tree"

Crush
03-20-2007, 12:58 PM
I think the opposing team should get to name the player who has to wear the headset for the entire game.

ROFL

morphius
03-20-2007, 01:05 PM

You are going to hell, lol

Redrum_69
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Mike Nifong needs to be put on the NFL Rules Committee...

Mr. Laz
03-20-2007, 01:26 PM
1. college setup imo

2 keep it ...... but college setup is better

3. give it a try in preseason first to see what happens

Bugeater
03-20-2007, 04:39 PM
I disagree with Bob Dole on that point. I don't think the first team to get the ball in OT normally burns 5 minutes off the clock.

Slick32
03-20-2007, 04:56 PM
You are going to hell, lol

Chiefnj? If NJ stands what I think it does he's there already!

Bearcat
03-20-2007, 04:57 PM
1) I like the idea of a full quarter (or 7 minutes)... or why not just guarantee one possession per team? If one team scores, they just kick off, which solves your "start on the 25" issue.

2) Football has become such a big event, I don't know why they can't look at every play and change things if something is obviously wrong... don't tell me about slowing down the game until you talk to CBS.

3) I like the idea, but like others said, I'd almost rather go the other way and have no headset communication.

Keep OT the way it is except one thing...you just keep playing. Treat it like the end of a quarter instead of the end of a half. The two teams continue to play and the first one to score wins.

That would completely ruin the end of the game.. less need for timeouts, no more 2 minute drill, etc.