PDA

View Full Version : Contracts won't sway Moore in roster decisions.

huskerdooz
03-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Big contracts won’t sway Royals GM
Dayton Moore says he considers talent, not money, when he assembles roster.
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
SURPRISE, Ariz. | Royals general manager Dayton Moore contends money won’t do any talking when he gathers his on-field and front-office staffs for discussions on putting together the major-league roster.

“I really don’t care about (money),” he said. “I don’t concern myself with it. It’s about competition. If we have a better alternative that makes our team better for the short term and long term, we’ll do that.”

That suggests shortstop Angel Berroa gets no additional consideration because he is guaranteed $8.5 million over the next two years. Or that outfielders Reggie Sanders ($5 million) and/or Emil Brown ($3.45 million) won’t be kept around, if better options are available, simply because of their contracts.

“If we think a player is just going through a down period in their career,” Moore said, “you stay with him if you feel that he’s going to be fine over the course of 162 games — and if he has a role on the club.

“But if you think a guy is done, he’s done.”

Moore makes it clear — even as the Royals escalate their search for alternatives — that he’s not ready to give up on Berroa, whose spring struggles mirror his trend of declining production.

Nor is Moore ready to throw up his hands at the logjam in left field, where Sanders, Brown and possibly Ross Gload could find themselves battling for time and denying a roster spot to Joey Gathright, Shane Costa or even Billy Butler.

“Is Angel playing great right now?” Moore asked. “No, he’s not playing great. Do we think he’s going to play better? Are there things that we’re seeing that should prompt him to play better? We’ve got to make that determination.

“Obviously, the responsibility lies with each individual player to be accountable for being successful.”

Moore is even more emphatic in support of Sanders, who seems ticketed for reserve duty, barring an injury, unless the club swings a deal to unload Brown.

“I personally think we’re a much better team with Reggie Sanders on the club,” Moore said. “I think we’re a better baseball team for 2007 with Reggie Sanders on our baseball team. I believe that in terms of the dynamics of everything.”

All clubs face similar questions, of course, but the Royals have nearly half of their projected $60 million payroll tied up in question marks if right-hander Scott Elarton and veteran DH Mike Sweeney are included with Berroa, Brown and Sanders.

Elarton is making $4 million but is recovering from shoulder surgery and not expected back before mid-May; Sweeney is again tying up $11 million while hoping to avoid an extended stay on the disabled list for the first time in five years.

The Royals might need to decide, at some point, whether to eat some or all of those contracts. The financial bite could be considerable.

“I try not to concern myself with that,” Moore said. “That’s why Dean (Taylor) and Jin (Wong) and Dan Glass do the money stuff. I’ve got to focus on the other stuff.”

No major financial decisions appear imminent, though club officials are likely to meet this week to discuss the next round of roster cuts. They currently have 44 players in camp and must get down to 25 by 3 p.m. on April 1.

“You can’t make decisions until decisions need to be made,” Moore said. “You can’t look too far into the future and say, ‘If this continues to happen …’ Because you know what? You get ahead of yourself, and that clouds your thought process as well.

“You’ve also got to look at it in terms of what’s best for (the short term) and what’s best for over 162 games. What’s best for (the short term) might not be what’s best for over 162.”

Moore acknowledges it’s wrong to imply money plays no factor in personnel decisions. Financial limitations are, in fact, the overriding factor when he and his lieutenants seek outside alternatives to plug roster holes.

“Our payroll is what it is,” he said. “I’m not going to ask our owner to lose money. I’m not. What that does is prevent us from making a trade that might bring back an impact guy who’s making 7-8 million dollars. That’s what limits us.”

Keeping an unproductive player simply because of a bad contract? Not the same thing.

“If we have alternatives within our organization,” Moore said, “and we’re convinced it’s time to part ways with a player that we’ve given every opportunity (to perform), then absolutely we’ll do that.

“I’ve been a firm believer in this: I’m going to make a lot of mistakes. The difference is you can’t continue to make the same mistakes. You’ve got to recognize your mistakes and fix them.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send e-mail to bdutton@kcstar.com

Sully
03-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I';m becoming a big fan of Moore.

eazyb81
03-20-2007, 08:54 AM
He's right because Berroa is a sunk cost at this point. No matter what we do, we are tied to his contract - might as well get better production from the SS position if it is available.

Crush
03-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Please God, a reasonable record this year is all I ask.

Sure-Oz
03-20-2007, 09:21 AM
I really like what he will do for this organization in the coming years. We are on our way up, should be a pretty fun year considering.

keg in kc
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
“I’ve been a firm believer in this: I’m going to make a lot of mistakes. The difference is you can’t continue to make the same mistakes. You’ve got to recognize your mistakes and fix them.”A lesson Allard Baird never learned, and one Carl Peterson could use.

Hell, an important lesson for all of us. I can't count the number of times I've gotten to the end of a day and been unhappy with myself about the amount of time I've wasted in the last 12 hours.

And here I am, hand on the hot burner again.

hmm

Eleazar
03-20-2007, 09:56 AM
He's right because Berroa is a sunk cost at this point. No matter what we do, we are tied to his contract - might as well get better production from the SS position if it is available.

I think Blanco will probably be the opening day shortstop. The organization is giving Berroa every chance to succeed, but he just isn't responding. It's hard to imagine how he could be having quality at-bats when he's struck out 14 times in 35 ABs, hitting .229 against spring training pitching, has yet to take a walk, etc etc.

I don't think that Blanco is going to be much of an improvement, though. His fielding percentage last year was lower than Berroa's, and even if he plays better than expected Blanco would still be the worst bat in our lineup. He's going to hit .250 at best and strike out a lot. If we've got a runner on third with two outs and Blanco comes up, you're going to groan.

Neither of these guys are a solution. We're just going to have someone playing short that probably doesn't belong in the major leagues. We're not a playoff ready team, so we're going to have a couple of guys like that on the roster.

KevB
03-20-2007, 10:56 AM
I think Blanco will probably be the opening day shortstop. The organization is giving Berroa every chance to succeed, but he just isn't responding. It's hard to imagine how he could be having quality at-bats when he's struck out 14 times in 35 ABs, hitting .229 against spring training pitching, has yet to take a walk, etc etc.

I don't think that Blanco is going to be much of an improvement, though. His fielding percentage last year was lower than Berroa's, and even if he plays better than expected Blanco would still be the worst bat in our lineup. He's going to hit .250 at best and strike out a lot. If we've got a runner on third with two outs and Blanco comes up, you're going to groan.

Neither of these guys are a solution. We're just going to have someone playing short that probably doesn't belong in the major leagues. We're not a playoff ready team, so we're going to have a couple of guys like that on the roster.

Agreed that neither player is a long term solution. However, fielding % is no indication of who is the better shortstop. Blanco gets to balls Berroa hasn't seen in 5 years. He would certainly be a defensive upgrade. Offensively, Berroa was one of the 2 or 3 worst offensive regulars in baseball last year. Can Blanco possibly be worse? You're right that this position will clearly need to be upgraded for us to be a contending team, and that's the important point.

GoHuge
03-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I think they need to let Germam play at SS and let Blanco continue to develop. Berroa is shit and he isn't getting any better. German can play the position and may not be a great SS, but he gives you so much more with his bat. Berroa give you nothing. I would rather German not get to a couple of balls and hit over .300 than Berroa make a great play, botch the routine ones, and hit .219. Maybe Blanco will be a good all around SS come this time next year. Regardless German is a top of the order guy that can steal bases when he gets on. The guy needs to play every day. He doesn't have the range of Blanco or Berroa, but he also doesn't have the errors. Niether one of them have shit on German with the bat.

Eleazar
03-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Blanco... would certainly be a defensive upgrade.

That is ridiculous. Blanco made a lot of errors in the majors and he made a lot of errors in AAA too. And he doesn't have the range or arm strength Berroa has. Berroa's problem is consistency not ability.

Offensively, Berroa was one of the 2 or 3 worst offensive regulars in baseball last year. Can Blanco possibly be worse?

Yes, he can. It does get worse than .235/10/50 or whatever Berroa totalled up last year. Those numbers are not good but they are probably better than Blanco's numbers would average out to over a full season.

Like it or not, Blanco has never been good enough to push Berroa for his job until, maybe, this year.

The fans love to hate Berroa but Blanco is not an upgrade. He's just someone different.

keg in kc
03-20-2007, 11:53 AM
That is ridiculous. Blanco made a lot of errors in the majors and he made a lot of errors in AAA too. And he doesn't have the range or arm strength Berroa has. Berroa's problem is consistency not ability. Wasn't Blanco on a record-setting pace with the errors at one point last year in the minors?

sedated
03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Alex Gonzalez has been getting a long look in spring training. I expect him to be SS when they decide to finally shitcan Berroa

Eleazar
03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Wasn't Blanco on a record-setting pace with the errors at one point last year in the minors?

They don't put up stats on the ORoyals' website anymore for fielding, but I looked it up last year sometime and he was making a lot of errors, just as many as Berroa was making. I don't now about record-setting pace, but I don't think he's an upgrade.

German probably won't be a possibility, at least not right away, with Grudzielanek going to be out the first 2-4 weeks of the season if that is still true.

Gonzalez might be a factor, but all I remember about him is making the error for the Cubs in the playoffs after the Moises Alou play...

Pitt Gorilla
03-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I think Gonzalez has a good shot of starting at short. Bianchi is the long term prospect.

KevB
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
That is ridiculous. Blanco made a lot of errors in the majors and he made a lot of errors in AAA too. And he doesn't have the range or arm strength Berroa has. Berroa's problem is consistency not ability.

Yes, he can. It does get worse than .235/10/50 or whatever Berroa totalled up last year. Those numbers are not good but they are probably better than Blanco's numbers would average out to over a full season.

Like it or not, Blanco has never been good enough to push Berroa for his job until, maybe, this year.

The fans love to hate Berroa but Blanco is not an upgrade. He's just someone different.

Berroa doesn't have better range or a better arm. Hell, that's why they asked him to lose weight in the off-season. He's lost his quickness, and thus his range. I've read this no less than five times over the last several months. Blanco's errors are offset by the plays he can make that Berroa can't. I'd hope that major league fields, major league coaching, and hopefully a renewed focus would alleviate some of the errors.

On offense, Berroa went .234/.259/.333. That is monumentally bad, and it's officially a trend at this point. The guy had 14 walks and 88 K's. That's coming off a season of 18 walks and 108 K's. He's also devolved into a guy with no ability to steal a base (21 in his ROY season, 3 last season). In 226 major league AB's, Blanco is at .252/.290/.314. He's taken 10 walks and struck out 25 times. He's got little to no power, and average speed on the bases. So, obviously he's not a huge upgrade, if any. However, what he is, is 7 years younger than Berroa. We know Berroa is garbage at this point, and he's about to enter the decline phase of his career. Blanco still has some room for improvement.

Why continue beating your head against the wall with Berroa? He is what he is, and that is a terrible MLB shortstop. I don't "love to hate Berroa". I wish he were a serviceable MLB SS, but he's not. I simply don't like having my team settle for a complete out machine at the plate, and a defensive liability at the most important defensive position.

chiefsfan987
03-20-2007, 01:11 PM
This is all lip service.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
99% chance that this is crap

if big contracts weren't being consider Berrora would be in the minors already.

huskerdooz
03-20-2007, 04:18 PM
99% chance that this is crap

if big contracts weren't being consider Berrora would be in the minors already.

Moore readily admits that you can't just ignore the financial aspect of it, but he claims that it won't be the deciding factor.

This is all lip service.

It may indeed be lip service as you claim. I choose to take a wait and see approach all the while remaining hopeful that we can take Dayton at his word. Either Berroa improves or someone else becomes the starting SS for opening day.

Eleazar
03-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I simply don't like having my team settle for a complete out machine at the plate, and a defensive liability at the most important defensive position.

Alright, we'll see if Blanco wins a gold glove this year or hits any better. My guess is that other than Blanco being younger and having the potential to improve, people aren't going to notice a huge difference.

Mr. Laz
03-20-2007, 05:30 PM
Alright, we'll see if Blanco wins a gold glove this year or hits any better. My guess is that other than Blanco being younger and having the potential to improve, people aren't going to notice a huge difference.

mark teahan should of been tried at short

Gordon,teahan,Grud,Shealy would of been a pretty decent infield imo.

teahan played short in high school IIRC ... he is used to the heat over at 3rd.

KevB
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Because I said he was going to win a gold glove? I'll notice a difference. I'll notice that the Royals are willing to admit a sunk cost and move on to a potentially better alternative. If Blanco doesn't get any better as the season goes along, oh well, find another solution. We KNOW what we're getting in Berroa.....Blanco still has room for improvement.

KevB
03-20-2007, 07:03 PM

Gordon,teahan,Grud,Shealy would of been a pretty decent infield imo.

teahan played short in high school IIRC ... he is used to the heat over at 3rd.

Teahen doesn't have the quickness or lateral movement to play short. He also doesn't have any experience handling footwork around the bag at second. I'd love to have his bat at shortstop, but it just isn't realistic.

When it's all said and done, I'd prefer we go with German this season, all the while trying to find a long term solution. He'd hurt us with the glove most likely, but he'd bring top of the lineup skills to the offense.

Halfcan
03-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Buy out Sweeny the weeny's contract and get that bad back overpaid cancer out of here.

Eleazar
03-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Buy out Sweeny the weeny's contract and get that bad back overpaid cancer out of here.

Sweeney's a cancer now? ROFL

tk13
03-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I've always liked Blanco, but his play has seemed to drop off a bit, if Alex Gonzalez gets the job I wouldn't complain, he's always had some pop in his bat. The left side of our infield is going to be interesting... Gordon is probably going to make a lot of rookie errors over at third, and we have a huge hole at shortstop. Probably going to have some adventurous days over there.

beavis
03-20-2007, 10:00 PM
As long as Bell is managing, nothing is out of the realm of possibility.