PDA

View Full Version : Attention Illinois message boarders -- your entire program stinks

Lzen
03-20-2007, 09:33 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10064832

March 16, 2007
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com National Columnist

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Show me a message board and, most of the time, I'll disagree with whatever's on it. The people who congregate there don't want the truth. They want to vent, they want to spew and they want to do it in a place where everyone agrees with them.

All due respect, you people scare me.

But not you people at Illinois. Not today. Not after what I saw Friday night at Nationwide Arena, where 12th-seeded Illinois folded in a 54-52 loss to fifth-seeded Virginia Tech.

Illinois fans have one of the busiest message boards in college basketball. It's also one of the most unreasonable, illogical message boards. Maybe that's redundant. Anyway ...

Not today. Today, let the Illinois message board sing. Let it shriek. Let it make all the ugly noise it can, because Illinois basketball is a worthy target. And by "Illinois basketball" I mean everyone associated with it. The players who choked on the court. The assistants who recruited this mid-major amalgamation of talent. The head coach who was trying to play checkers while Seth Greenberg was dabbling in chess. And the athletics director who sets a miserable tone for the whole thing.

About that athletics director ...

His name is Ron Guenther. He sat two chairs from me on press row. If there's etiquette about what behavior is on or off the record on press row, I don't know about it. Here's what I do know: The Illinois AD is smart enough to ascend to the job he holds, but dumb enough to behave so ridiculously courtside, surrounded by media in general and sitting 30 inches from me in particular.

Guenther is a table-pounder, in good times and bad. Since there were very few good times Friday -- even when the Illini had a 10-point lead with less than 4 1/2 minutes to play, they looked awful -- Guenther did most of his pounding in anguish.

If only he left it at pounding. Alas, he did not. Guenther would on occasion rise and stare down an official, or rise and give coach Bruce Weber advice, generally something along the lines of, "Get Randle out of there!" And after one miserable play by Warren Carter -- which isn't nearly specific enough considering his vast array of miserable plays -- Guenther pounded the table, rose from his chair and screamed, "Warren -- you idiot!"

Screamed it, people.

So Guenther doesn't do much for me. Neither does his coach or his players. At the moment, come to think of it, neither does anything about his Illini basketball program.

Bruce Weber can't recruit at the elite level, which I first pointed out during Illinois' magical 2005 season. That's old news. Important news, program-killing news -- but old news.

What's new? This season, his players continued to find too much trouble. If you don't have great talent, you better have great citizens. There are surely class kids on the Illinois roster, but not enough of them. Two players, Rich McBride and Jamar Smith, have faced charges of DUI in the last six months. A third player on this team, Shaun Pruitt, has been disciplined for getting in a fight outside a bar.

So the talent is lacking, the character is lacking and if you watched Illinois choke away a 52-42 lead, you know the coaching is lacking. Illinois' offense is a bunch of weaving until someone chucks an NBA-range 3-pointer before the shot clock expires. Some of Illinois' most experienced players, specifically Carter and Brian Randle, throw gutter-quality passes. Weber hasn't instilled toughness in his players, either, judging from the air balls thrown up by Carter (from 12 feet), Pruitt (4 feet) and Randle (free throw) in the Illini's biggest game of the season.

Weber remains likeable in that dorky way of his. He doesn't argue with officials so much as he pouts. He doesn't yell at his players other than to ask on occasion a pained, "Why?!?!" But his likeability isn't helping him win games. His players are mentally weak, and while he's sure to win Mr. Congeniality points from officials, that's not worth much if the guy on the other bench is influencing the game.

And Virginia Tech's Seth Greenberg influenced this game. He picked up a technical foul early in the second half, sacrificing two free throws but earning an enormous advantage at the foul line. By the end of the game Virginia Tech had made more free throws (18, in 28 tries) than Illinois had attempted (15) -- the Holy Grail of referee-baiting behavior -- and all three officials swallowed their whistle as Randle was manhandled by multiple Hokies on a potentially game-tying shot in the final second.

Don't get me wrong, Seth Greenberg is no genius. The greatest player in Virginia Tech history, Dell Curry, had a son last year who was a high school senior. He was a little small and baby-faced, this kid, but he was a great shooter nonetheless -- and he had the genes of a longtime 6-foot-4 NBA shooting guard. Greenberg's bright idea was to tell Dell Curry's kid he could walk on, but there was no scholarship for him at Virginia Tech.

So Stephen Curry went to Davidson, where he averaged 21.5 ppg this season, second nationally among all freshmen. He's still a great shooter, only now he stands 6-1. He'll score 2,000 points before he's finished, none for Virginia Tech. And next year the Hokies could use guards, what with Zabian Dowdell and Jamon Gordon being seniors.

Greenberg's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he found a way to rally his poor-shooting team past Illinois. So what does that say about Illinois? About the Illinois coach?

The answer is somewhere on an Illinois message board. Whatever's being said out there in Illini cyberspace, it's probably ugly.

But it's probably right.

Swanman
03-20-2007, 09:48 AM
For some reason Doyel has always had a hard-on for Illinois, although that article, vicious as it was, was pretty much on point. Right now a lot of Illinois fans are calling for the AD's job and I am quickly becoming one of them. He made a mess out of our football program (hopefully Zook will bring us to at least mediocrity) and now that the basketball program has hit a rough patch, people are quickly losing patience. I'm still a fan of Bruce Weber, but unless he turns it around on the recruiting front, I'll probably change my mind on him as well. I live and die with the Illini, and this season was the toughest I've gone through. As pissed as I was after the V. Tech game, a big part of me is glad that the season is over. I can now relax a little bit and wait for football to start.

Lzen
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I had no idea all this was going on it Illinois until I saw this article. However, I did question how good a coach and recruiter Weber would be. I think it is being proven that the guy is not much of a recruiter. He got to the title game a few years ago with Self's recruits.

Swanman
03-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I had no idea all this was going on it Illinois until I saw this article. However, I did question how good a coach and recruiter Weber would be. I think it is being proven that the guy is not much of a recruiter. He got to the title game a few years ago with Self's recruits.

We were very spoiled with Self's recruiting (mostly the work of Gillespie, who delivered Deron Williams and Warren Carter, and Self was responsible for Dee Brown). The thing that really killed Weber recruiting-wise was Eric Gordon de-committing. If we have him in the class next year, people would be lauding Weber as a great recruiter, but losing him completely swung it the other way.

tk13
03-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I don't think Weber's recruited nearly as good as Self, but Gordon de-committing was a low blow, what are you going to do? If they landed Gordon things would look much different.

KevB
03-20-2007, 10:52 AM
We were very spoiled with Self's recruiting (mostly the work of Gillespie, who delivered Deron Williams and Warren Carter, and Self was responsible for Dee Brown). The thing that really killed Weber recruiting-wise was Eric Gordon de-committing. If we have him in the class next year, people would be lauding Weber as a great recruiter, but losing him completely swung it the other way.

When you've got two players like Gordon committed and Rose in your own backyard (and don't come away with either), it's not going to look good for the coach and his ability to recruit top talent.

duncan_idaho
03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Missing on John Schayer, even though Weber's brother was his high-school coach, seems to have hurt a lot, too.

I've heard that Weber is too honest with recruits -- tells them what they have to do to become a starter for him rather than puffing them up. I've also heard rumors he's less willing to pay big bucks to street agents to get prime talent out of Chicago than his predecessor ...

Saulbadguy
03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
IBiots! ILLANOY FANS! LOL!!

Swanman
03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Missing on John Schayer, even though Weber's brother was his high-school coach, seems to have hurt a lot, too.

I've heard that Weber is too honest with recruits -- tells them what they have to do to become a starter for him rather than puffing them up. I've also heard rumors he's less willing to pay big bucks to street agents to get prime talent out of Chicago than his predecessor ...

Missing on Jon Scheyer looked bad because Bruce's brother was his high school coach, but in reality he always wanted to go to Duke so we had no chance from the get-go.

Your second point is spot-on. It's especially true with Derrick Rose if the rumors are correct. There were all kinds of rumors about Memphis offering him the sun, moon and stars. Most of the stars out of the Chicago Public League want to be verbally fellated by college coaches and Bruce is way too old-school to do that, which hurts him recruiting in Chicago.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
I moved from Kansas to Illinois about 15 years ago. This is why I've never given two craps about U of I. No one around here does.

PunkinDrublic
03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
How the **** can you not get top players into the program after making the tourney 8 straight years and reaching the championship game. Webber is a good coach but absolutely awful recruiter.