PDA

View Full Version : Amobi Okoye to the Chiefs. Opinions?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-20-2007, 02:52 PM
I understand that we're not going to trade up to make this happen. I'm just curious how you guys feel about this kid, and what you think he'll do in the NFL. I personally would like to see us do almost anything to get a hold of this kid because I think he's gonna be a stud. There are a lot of guys that frequent this board that know a whole lot more about him than I do though. Is it hype? Or is this guy gonna be the real deal?

Brock
03-20-2007, 02:56 PM
A very Hali-type of kid, mature beyond his years. I'd be overjoyed to see him here.

HolmeZz
03-20-2007, 02:57 PM
He's the real deal.

Tribal Warfare
03-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I was hyping this kid before the media hoopla started hell yes I want him to be apart of the team

Mr. Laz
03-20-2007, 04:27 PM
probably the best thing that could happen for us.

draft okoye ........ cut sims

Extra Point
03-20-2007, 04:59 PM
probably the best thing that could happen for us.

draft okoye ........ cut sims

Agreed. Doubtful it'll ever happen, but agreed.

JBucc
03-20-2007, 05:45 PM
I would be happy if he fell to us, but unlike some I wouldn't want us to trade up to get him.

Crashride
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I think we should go after him, but we can live without him

SBK
03-20-2007, 06:10 PM
I'd love to get him. A DT that could put pressure on the QB would do wonders for our _efense.

milkman
03-20-2007, 06:46 PM
I would be happy if he fell to us, but unlike some I wouldn't want us to trade up to get him.

I am usually against the idea of trading up, but a 19 year old DT with his talent and energy is rare.

He could, theoretically, anchor the middle of the defense for 12-13 years.

This is one time I would fully endorce trading up if he somehow managed to slip into the 17-20 range.

Halfcan
03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
He will go to the Ravens somehow-they always get the good D players.

htismaqe
03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I am usually against the idea of trading up, but a 19 year old DT with his talent and energy is rare.

He could, theoretically, anchor the middle of the defense for 12-13 years.

This is one time I would fully endorce trading up if he somehow managed to slip into the 17-20 range.

Yep.

I've seen a few mocks that have him dropping into the 18 range...

Iowanian
03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
If he's sitting there and the Chiefs didn't pick him, I think I'd be pretty disappointed.

I agree with Brock and the Hali comparison.

There are other solid players that should be available, but DT has sucked almost as long as WR in KC.

Iowanian
03-20-2007, 08:14 PM
He will go to the Ravens somehow-they always get the good D players.

Well....except for that whole "ravens run a 3-4" and Okoye isn't a huge, run stuffing DT or a prototype 3-4DE.

milkman
03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Well....except for that whole "ravens run a 3-4" and Okoye isn't a huge, run stuffing DT or a prototype 3-4DE.

Type slower so that Halfwit can keep up.

Extra Point
03-20-2007, 08:43 PM
I see Okoye in St. Louis, for some odd reason. As mentioned beforehand, I see us picking Daymeion Hughes.

milkman
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I see Okoye in St. Louis, for some odd reason. As mentioned beforehand, I see us picking Daymeion Hughes.

Hughes is falling on a lot of the draft boards I've seen.

There is a chance he could be had in the second.

Halfcan
03-21-2007, 12:37 AM
We need to move up and get this guy.

Tribal Warfare
03-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Hughes is falling on a lot of the draft boards I've seen.

There is a chance he could be had in the second.

after running a 4.7 he'll most likely be their in the second

Blindside58
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
would it be eerie / intimidating to be an offensive lineman and hear Hali and Okoye singing an African Tribal chant in unison before they snap the ball?

Spicy McHaggis
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I'd love to see Okoye as a Chief. Branch is well out of reach and Okoye doesn't instill in me that terrible fear normally accompanied by taking another DT in a high round. In fact he's one of the few picks that I would feel completely comfortable with in the first.

Buns
03-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Hes is a genius and only 19. He will get bigger most likely. I don't think he will make it far into the teens if he is, someone like the donks will trade up and get him.

B_Ambuehl
03-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I'd say he's a 3 year project. The NFL is tough on youg D-tackles as is. Look at recent Sr. Bowl stars like Broderick Bunkley and Gabe Watson. The difference between collegiate O-lineman and NFL O-lineman is night and day.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20070323_LESS_BUNK__FIGURATIVELY.html

Tribal Warfare
03-24-2007, 05:36 PM
I'd say he's a 3 year project. The NFL is tough on youg D-tackles as is. Look at recent Sr. Bowl stars like Broderick Bunkley and Gabe Watson. The difference between collegiate O-lineman and NFL O-lineman is night and day.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20070323_LESS_BUNK__FIGURATIVELY.html

Different player, and different mindset Amobi is gonna be a stud

BigMeatballDave
03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
I would certainly be in favor of trading up to get this kid. If he were to fall to us, and Carl doesn't pick him, may he contract necrotizing fasciitis on his junk.

SPchief
03-25-2007, 02:26 AM
I would certainly be in favor of trading up to get this kid. If he were to fall to us, and Carl doesn't pick him, may he contract necrotizing fasciitis on his junk.

He won't fall to us. I'm all for trading up to 15-18 to get him though.

With Allen, Tamba, and Okoye on the line, our Defense would be awesome for a long time.

suds79
03-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I like Okoye.

I was impressed by his pass rush moves at the senior bowl.

At first I was skeptical in the fact that he weighed 287 but he reported at the combine at 303. And he's only 19.

I figure in a couple of years he'll be that typical 320 lb DT stud with pass rush moves.

I'd be in favor of moving up to get him but I think he's going to go too high for us to have a chance.

I bet he's gone around the 12th pick.

And moving up that far would simply be out of our reach. Sorry.

Hal McRae
03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Good player. I doubt he gets to the Chiefs in round 1. His age (19) is a huge benefit for him, as teams love his potential to get better with maturity.

ct
03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS02/703270509/1002

Okoye takes run at U of L Pro Day
Had better 40 time than at combine
By Brian Bennett
bbennett@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Amobi Okoye didn't have a lot to prove to the representatives from all 32 NFL teams who were in town yesterday for the University of Louisville's annual Pro Day.

The 19-year-old defensive tackle is a consensus top-15 pick in the April 28 draft, someone whose stock didn't figure to rise much no matter what he did for the scouts at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. But Okoye said he wanted to prove something to himself.

"I'm a competitor, so I went out there," he said.

Okoye tweaked one of his hamstrings while running the 40-yard dash at last month's NFL combine, leading to a somewhat disappointing time of 5.07 seconds. He said his hamstring still wasn't 100 percent yesterday, but he ran the 40 again and did it in 4.85 seconds.

"I was trying to break 4.7, but I'll take it," said Okoye, who weighed in at 305 pounds.

The scouts and team officials leaned forward a little more when Okoye took the field to go through drills with defensive tackle Zach Anderson. The other 10 U of L seniors who worked out hoped to catch as many eyes as possible, too.

Running back Kolby Smith ran the 40 in 4.51 seconds, which he said was the same time he posted at the combine. He earned an invitation to the Senior Bowl after the season and is angling to become a mid- to late-round pick.

"I just want to show them that I can do everything that's asked of me," he said. "Show them you're coachable, that's the most important thing."

Linebacker Nate Harris said he thought his combine workout went a little better than yesterday's. The drills can be a little nerve-wracking, but he said the players are used to it.

"It's pretty comparable to a big-time game, and we played in a lot of big-time games," Harris said. "It was kind of a comfort zone being back at school. You've just got to come out here and perform well."

The open audition was even more important to those who didn't get invited to the combine or a postseason all-star game. Fullback Deriontae Taylor went around the field passing out envelopes containing DVDs of himself in action.

The crowd included some familiar faces, such as former U of L assistants Paul Petrino, Kevin Wolthausen and Mike Summers, all of whom joined ex-Cardinals coach Bobby Petrino with the Atlanta Falcons this year. Wolthausen conducted the drills with the defensive linemen he used to coach.

That included Okoye, who might be a millionaire in a month but still wanted to show his worth.

"It's just like they're trying to look through a microscope and look deeper," he said of the draft evaluation process. "I'm just out here giving them all of me. The last couple of months have been quite exciting, going out there and proving to yourself that you are what you are, that you're a high pick and somebody should take a chance on you."

Splat420
03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
I would love to have Amobi Okoye he would be a great fit just to bad he will be long gone.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Good player. I doubt he gets to the Chiefs in round 1. His age (19) is a huge benefit for him, as teams love his potential to get better with maturity.
i don't know about that ..... most rookie contracts are 6 years.

if a team thinks some of that time is going be hurt because of his young age then it won't be a benefit to him.

after the 1st contract .... brand new ballgame unless you franchise him.

milkman
03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS02/703270509/1002

Okoye takes run at U of L Pro Day
Had better 40 time than at combine
By Brian Bennett
bbennett@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

Amobi Okoye didn't have a lot to prove to the representatives from all 32 NFL teams who were in town yesterday for the University of Louisville's annual Pro Day.

The 19-year-old defensive tackle is a consensus top-15 pick in the April 28 draft, someone whose stock didn't figure to rise much no matter what he did for the scouts at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. But Okoye said he wanted to prove something to himself.

"I'm a competitor, so I went out there," he said.

Okoye tweaked one of his hamstrings while running the 40-yard dash at last month's NFL combine, leading to a somewhat disappointing time of 5.07 seconds. He said his hamstring still wasn't 100 percent yesterday, but he ran the 40 again and did it in 4.85 seconds.

"I was trying to break 4.7, but I'll take it," said Okoye, who weighed in at 305 pounds.

Got to love this kid's work ethic and desire.

He didn't have to show up for this, cause he's already made his millions with his combine numbers.

But there he was, trying to improve his numbers.

OnTheWarpath15
03-27-2007, 11:33 PM

Some odd reason?

If he's there and the Rams don't take him, I'd be shocked.

They need DT help as bad or worse than we do.....

I hope Hughes is there in R2, but I doubt it....

milkman
03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Some odd reason?

If he's there and the Rams don't take him, I'd be shocked.

They need DT help as bad or worse than we do.....

I hope Hughes is there in R2, but I doubt it....

It wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes fall that far.

ct
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
DJ slid a bit, cause they said he wasn't very strong and didn't shed blockers very well.

Hali slid a bit, cause they said he was slow and maybe didn't have the upside you look for in high picks.

Maybe a late rumor will float that young Okoye has a slight bed-wetting problem or somethin.

OctoberFart
04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
And what do you plan on trading to get inside top 10 so you have a shot at him?

bdeg
04-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Jared Allen to the Redskins or Atlanta or LJ somewhere.

OctoberFart
04-03-2007, 06:00 PM
DJ slid a bit, cause they said he wasn't very strong and didn't shed blockers very well.

Hali slid a bit, cause they said he was slow and maybe didn't have the upside you look for in high picks.

Maybe a late rumor will float that young Okoye has a slight bed-wetting problem or somethin.
This guy isn't falling to the chiefs. Branch is sliding while Okoye is rising. Keep your hopes up though. By the way Linehan was on Total Access and mentioned front 7 upgrades on DL mainly was what they would be looking at upgrading.

htismaqe
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
If we trade Allen and then package those picks to move up, I'm gonna be pissed.

The whole point of trading Allen is to get more picks. We could get more than just a starting DT out of a deal like that.

bdeg
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I didn't really read through that thread on trading Allen, but I was just thinking Allen straight up for Atlanta's #8 pick.

Mecca
04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I didn't really read through that thread on trading Allen, but I was just thinking Allen straight up for Atlanta's #8 pick.

He isn't worth the 8th pick.......

htismaqe
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
He isn't worth the 8th pick.......

Exactly.

listopencil
04-06-2007, 09:10 PM
The Broncos have the picks to get up there.