PDA

View Full Version : Adam T: Croyle

Wile_E_Coyote
03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Croyle will get his chance http://www.kansascity.com/multimedia/kansascity/archive/news/video_camera_icon.gifVIDEO (http://scp.thefifthnetwork.com/cmdprx/cmdprx.ashx?cmd=ifdlp&plstID=67051ef1-8609-4194-a38a-732f97a5e041&videoGUID=317CEEEF-CEA2-43AE-8207-EA0F0C64CE92&channelId=ID0E1AAC)

Chiefs coach says QB will have opportunity to prove he can start.

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Herm Edwards talks about Will Shields, Trent Green | video (http://scp.thefifthnetwork.com/cmdprx/cmdprx.ashx?cmd=ifdlp&plstID=67051ef1-8609-4194-a38a-732f97a5e041&videoGUID=317CEEEF-CEA2-43AE-8207-EA0F0C64CE92&channelId=ID0E1AAC) Chiefs coach discusses roster moves | video (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/=)
Brodie Croyle’s NFL career, though brief, is less than impressive. It consists statistically of two games, seven passes, three completions and two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown.

Yet the job as Chiefs starting quarterback appears to be his to lose.
Coach Herm Edwards stopped short in a media briefing on Tuesday of making that declaration. But Edwards did indicate Croyle would get much of the work when the Chiefs begin offseason practice in May and at training camp when it begins in July.

“He’s going to get an opportunity,” Edwards said. “Maybe it doesn’t work out. But at least you’ll know. That’s not to say he’s going to be the starter. I don’t know who that guy is going to be at this point. But it needs to be open for competition, in my opinion, from what happened last year. It’s just the way we need to go.

“I want to find out where he’s at. Until you give players the ability to go out there and do it, you never know. It’s just a matter of getting Brodie some reps where he’s in competition and … where you can see how he can perform.”

The Chiefs last month re-signed veteran quarterback Damon Huard to prevent him from leaving as a free agent. They also have Trent Green, their starter for the last six seasons, and maintain he would be welcomed back if he can’t find a home elsewhere in the league.

Whether Green wants to stay is another matter, one he hasn’t declared publicly. Even if he does, both Green and Huard appear to be insurance in case the Chiefs decide Croyle isn’t ready.

One of the veteran quarterbacks could begin next season as the starter, but if so, he may be given the spot just temporarily until Edwards and his offensive coaches determine that Croyle is ready to play.

“We’ve got three good candidates, two proven guys that have played a lot of football and a young player,” Edwards said. “Is he ready to play? Could I say that today? I don’t know. You’re asking me a question I can’t answer.

“You’ve got a pretty good idea with the other two guys. Their history tells you what they are, for the most part. They have more history than Brodie. He doesn’t have any history at all.”

The Chiefs scheduled 14 offseason practices beginning in May and ending in June, about a month before the start of training camp. They also will have a three-day minicamp in early June.

Edwards said he and his staff would begin to get an idea of Croyle’s readiness before training camp starts. But he indicated they would want to see Croyle play in training camp and at least a couple of the preseason games before declaring him to be the starter.

“You can see some things (in the offseason), but he has to go under the live fire,” Edwards said. “You’ve got to create that in the preseason in how you play the guy. You’ve got to make sure he’s playing with the (starters) and he’s playing against good players.”

The indecision at quarterback threatens to again send the Chiefs into the season lacking offensive unity. Several key offensive players missed time in the offseason and training camp last year, and the results showed early.

The Chiefs scored just 16 points in the first two games, both losses.

“I knew we were going to be slow on offense (to start the season),” Edwards said. “You could just tell. We never had our starting offense play together the whole spring.”

The Chiefs expect all of their veterans to participate when their offseason practice begins. But they won’t have resolved their quarterback situation by then.

Two of their starting offensive linemen, guard Will Shields and center Casey Wiegmann, were also considering retirement.

If the Chiefs are missing some of their key veterans, don’t look for Edwards to make up for lost spring practice time in the summer or fall.

“We’re not preparing for 16 games,” he said. “This program is set up all the way to the playoffs and the championship game, everything we do.

That’s why it’s kind of important that when we start off, you get going now. At the end, you can’t catch up. I’m cutting back at the end, not adding, to keep you fresh.

“If I had done that last year, with this football team, in my opinion, with some of the veterans we had, we had no shot. We would have died on the vine. We had so many veteran guys.”

-So who is Herm calling a fruit?
<HR class=infobox-hr-separator color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

Crush
03-21-2007, 10:11 AM
I hope Croyle is up for it and I also hope none of us have to post in this thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=160052

Archie Bunker
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I hope Croyle pans out. It would be nice to have a young starting QB that was drafted and developed by the Chiefs.

JBucc
03-21-2007, 10:16 AM
It consists statistically of two games, seven passes, three completions and two interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown.Hey, one TD every seven passes. I'll take it!

Extra Point
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Good thing Huard didn't leave with the 2-page playbook, so our explosive offense is safe.

For now.

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Who would you rather have: Croyle or Cutler?

Redrum_69
03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Neither

They need to draft another quarterback...especially if they think this team can survive on Huard or Croyle

This team aint going nowhere this year

We need a good 1-15 season...or an 0-16...just so we can get a good pick

WHen was the last time we got a draft pick in the top three...

Maybe next year

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Neither? That'a crazy talk.

ChiefsFanatic
03-21-2007, 11:07 AM
But it needs to be open for competition, in my opinion, from what happened last year. It’s just the way we need to go.

Until you give players the ability to go out there and do it, you never know.

I wonder what would have happened if he would have had this philosophy last year. Then maybe he would have started Huard in the playoffs, or at least sent Huard in after Green swallowed his tongue and his eyes rolled up inside his head.

L.A. Chieffan
03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, it's good news to hear that a player we drafted is gonna get a "chance".
Phew, had me worried there for a minute.

Archie Bunker
03-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Right now Cutler. Ask me again in 5 years.

RealSNR
03-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Who would you rather have: Croyle or Cutler?Your mom is like Jay Cutler. She looked really good in college, thousands of hillbilly retards circle jerk each other every week when they watch her, and she oftentimes finds herself at the bottom of a pile of big, sweaty men.

Halfcan
03-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Die on the vine-kinda like at Indy?

Garcia Bronco
03-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Your mom is like Jay Cutler. She looked really good in college, thousands of hillbilly retards circle jerk each other every week when they watch her, and she oftentimes finds herself at the bottom of a pile of big, sweaty men.

My mom passed away last week. Thanks.

Got ya!

htismaqe
03-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Depends on the context of the situation.

Given that Croyle was a 3rd-rounder and you had to trade draft picks to move up and take Cutler at #11 overall, I'd take Croyle.

shrek6849
03-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Depends on the context of the situation.

Given that Croyle was a 3rd-rounder and you had to trade draft picks to move up and take Cutler at #11 overall, I'd take Croyle.

Hilarious.

noa
03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
My mom passed away last week. Thanks. Got ya!

I knew you were joking because I gave her the old hucklebuck last night.

King_Chief_Fan
03-21-2007, 01:42 PM
I hope Croyle pans out. It would be nice to have a young starting QB that was drafted and developed by the Chiefs.

The Chiefs history says this isn't likely to happen. We shall see.

Redrum_69
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I knew you were joking because I gave her the old hucklebuck last night.

Now you are just making up words.

That doesnt even register on the originality scale.

You need to say something like....

I gave his mom the bdsm electric finger slide last night

or

I gave his mom the midget pincher last night

or

If his mom was a rock last night and I was a creek I pounded her rough edges out until she was smooth

KCChiefsFan88
03-21-2007, 01:47 PM
What Herm is doing to the offense makes me violently ill. This is exactly why the Chiefs needed to go with an offensive-minded head coach like an Al Saunders or Mike Martz because anyone with an ounce of knowledge about offense and QBing an NFL offense can clearly see that the Chiefs planned QB situation heading into the season is a horrible disaster that threatens to send this team into the area of a 2-14/3-13 finish.

And its not like Herm has surrounded Croyle with plenty of good targets in the passing game. The starting WR duo that was MIA in the Indy playoff debacle is still in tact and the Chiefs have done nothing to upgrade the worst group of WRs in the NFL.

This is pathetic

King_Chief_Fan
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
What Herm is doing to the offense makes me violently ill. This is exactly why the Chiefs needed to go with an offensive-minded head coach like an Al Saunders or Mike Martz because anyone with an ounce of knowledge about offense and QBing an NFL offense can clearly see that the Chiefs planned QB situation heading into the season is a horrible disaster that threatens to send this team into the area of a 2-14/3-13 finish.

And its not like Herm has surrounded Croyle with plenty of good targets in the passing game. The starting WR duo that was MIA in the Indy playoff debacle is still in tact and the Chiefs have done nothing to upgrade the worst group of WRs in the NFL.

This is pathetic

then you didn't read the bull crap from warpaint illustrated that indicates Webb and Hannon, the sleepers, will make our receiver issues go away.:)

wutamess
03-21-2007, 02:09 PM
anyone with an ounce of knowledge about offense and QBing an NFL offense can clearly see that the Chiefs planned QB situation heading into the season is a horrible disaster that threatens to send this team into the area of a 2-14/3-13 finish.

Then I might buy Season tickets again and get them on the 50 lower level.

CoMoChief
03-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Cutler.

keg in kc
03-21-2007, 02:12 PM
2-14?

Right.

Brock
03-21-2007, 02:24 PM

This is pathetic

Yeah, if only they would have signed an impact free agent like Brandon Stokley.

keg in kc
03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Yeah, if only they would have signed an impact free agent like Brandon Stokley.Kevin Curtis is the difference between pretender and contender.