PDA

View Full Version : KC Star - Larry getting pumped

Hammock Parties
03-22-2007, 04:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/16949579.htm

Fewer Larry carries?
Chiefs plan to give Johnson some help, but workhorse running back is preparing for a season like last season.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Larry Johnson is in New Jersey, preparing for the aches and pains of another season of carrying the Chiefs’ offense on his shoulders.

The Chiefs, back in Kansas City, are planning to give him a break.

While Johnson and the power running game are still central to their plans, the Chiefs are hoping to diversify by giving more work to backup Michael Bennett and perhaps a third back they would add in next month’s draft.

The idea is to reduce Johnson’s workload before he breaks down. He carried an NFL-record 416 times in the regular season last year and another 13 times in the playoff loss to Indianapolis.

“You don’t want to make one guy run the ball 400 times,” coach Herm Edwards said. “You won’t see that anymore. You won’t see it. We’ll get Michael Bennett in the mix, and you might have to get another back. There might be three backs.

“You need three backs. (With two backs) as soon as you get one nicked, then you only have one. You’re out of business all of a sudden. You have to change your offense.”

Johnson is preparing as if nothing will change. He’s near his offseason home in New York participating in a conditioning program designed by Joe Carini, a noted power lifter whose personal training clients have also included former Giants running back Tiki Barber.

Carini’s regimen relies on heavy lifting with only brief periods of rest, something similar to Johnson’s routine on Sundays in the fall.

“The Chiefs are going to be very surprised at the amount of size and strength LJ is acquiring,” Carini said. “I’m really pushing the man. He was already a tremendous physical specimen. By doing this type of training, I really believe he’s going to set a standard next season.”

Johnson can’t be blamed for thinking next season will be like the last.

Edwards felt much the same way about Johnson’s workload at this time last year, and the Chiefs proceeded to work him like no back ever before. Bennett didn’t join the Chiefs last year in a trade with New Orleans until training camp had started.

Even then, he was injured, and the Chiefs never became comfortable with exactly what Bennett could do. He battled injuries all season and wound up carrying just 36 times.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, were addicted to Johnson. They figure to rely heavily on the sure thing Johnson provides again, particularly if the inexperienced Brodie Croyle wins the starting quarterback position.

For now, at least, the Chiefs at a minimum would like to triple Bennett’s playing time. His speed and open-field running ability give the Chiefs more versatility.

“Michael Bennett is a guy we feel is a change-up hitter,” Edwards said. “We’ve got to get him the ball some more and get him more involved in the offense.

“I had Curtis Martin for five years (with the Jets). He ran the ball 325 times a season and he caught about 50 passes. That’s what you want from Larry.”

While Johnson can’t possibly give the Chiefs more as a runner than he has in the 1 1/2 seasons since he took over as the starter from Priest Holmes, he hasn’t become the receiver that Holmes was.

Johnson has 74 catches in the last two seasons. That matches Holmes’ total from his best receiving season in 2003.

“He has to be more of a pass catcher,” Edwards said. “We can get him the ball on the perimeter, in space, when he becomes a better pass receiver. It benefits our offense and him that he can catch the ball. He’s got to work on his routes. He’s got to run better routes so we can get him in space and in some (favorable) matchups.

“That’s where you save (wear and tear on) the backs. That’s what made Curtis Martin so good. He carried the ball 22, 25 times a game, and then he caught passes. When you get him outside the tackle box he’s in open space. Then he’s up against a linebacker, and that’s what you want. That’s what makes LaDainian Tomlinson so great. They get him in space, and he catches the ball a lot, too. People lose sight of that.”

Tribal Warfare
03-22-2007, 05:15 AM
Well, if KC finally allow LJ to become more of a versatile player than do it. Christ use him in the slot , and change things up because the man has good recieving skills.

Bob Dole
03-22-2007, 05:28 AM
Well, if KC finally allow LJ to become more of a versatile player than do it. Christ use him in the slot , and change things up because the man has good recieving skills.

Huh?

Tribal Warfare
03-22-2007, 05:35 AM
Huh?

LJ is a effective receiver when given a chance, but the man is damn good running with the rock the coaching staff forgets other aspects where he can contribute.

jlscorpio
03-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I would like to see more receptions like the play before "The Dive"...

Hydrae
03-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I am glad they are looking to use Bennett more this year, I thought he was very underutilized this last year. I guess this means they aren't really all that thrilled with Ross after all too.

No mention of Priest being the third back. :hmmm:

penguinz
03-22-2007, 06:54 AM
I would like to see more receptions like the play before "The Dive"...
He had the chance to do this sort of thing several times last year if the ball had been thrown where he could catch it in stride. Instead Trent threw it to his feet.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
03-22-2007, 07:20 AM
I wish somewhere in that article there was mention of him improving his blocking skills.

Let me re-phrase that; I wish somewhere in the article was mention of him LEARNING HOW TO FRIGGIN BLOCK A BLITZING LINEBACKER!

:banghead:

PastorMikH
03-22-2007, 07:22 AM
“You don’t want to make one guy run the ball 400 times,” coach Herm Edwards said. “You won’t see that anymore. You won’t see it. We’ll get Michael Bennett in the mix, and you might have to get another back. There might be three backs.

Say, Herm, most other teams lighten the load on their RB by PASSING the ball! Seriously Herm, wide recievers main job is NOT to downfield block for the RB. They are supposed to catch the ball.

Do the math Herm, RBs average 3-5 yards per carry, WRs average 10-15 yards per catch. Which do you think gets us down the field more?

Now, instead of picking up another RB, how about getting us some WRs who can catch the ball? Spreading the D with some WRs that can actually catch will help LJ out more than anything else.

Rooster
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I would love to see Bennett get more touches but last year he couldn't keep the sand out of his vaginia long enough to play three games in a row. I just hope his hamstring problems are healing up this offseason.

Skip Towne
03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Say, Herm, most other teams lighten the load on their RB by PASSING the ball! Seriously Herm, wide recievers main job is NOT to downfield block for the RB. They are supposed to catch the ball.

Do the math Herm, RBs average 3-5 yards per carry, WRs average 10-15 yards per catch. Which do you think gets us down the field more?

Now, instead of picking up another RB, how about getting us some WRs who can catch the ball? Spreading the D with some WRs that can actually catch will help LJ out more than anything else.
When you pass the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad. [/Woody Hayes]

Pushead2
03-22-2007, 07:55 AM
When you pass the ball three things can happen and two of them are bad. [/Woody Hayes]

True , but I have to agree that WR would spread out the offense. The RB on my team is half of what he really is but our WRs spread the D out and allows him to be more dangerous. It's something basic, maybe Herm doesn't get understand it?? :hmmm:

htismaqe
03-22-2007, 08:11 AM

Thank you, Mr. Schottenheimer.

Frosty
03-22-2007, 08:19 AM

You know, with the new rules, that isn't necessarily true anymore. Now four things can happen, and two of them are good (reception or PI call).

Valiant
03-22-2007, 08:57 AM
As long as he does not become brittle like David Boston...