PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty on New Plasma?

Skyy God
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Well, I ordered my 42" Panasonic plasma right before I moved, with confirmation that it would be shipped in 1-2 business days. After the seller indicates that it will be the 15th or later until they ship, I cancel. Then my best friend from grad school, who coincidentally bought the same model about a month ago, expresses regret for not buying a 50". I was looking for an excuse to go bigger, and that was it. So, after the price dropped to $1,984 (this may be a bad sign of the TV's Orwellian influence on my life), I ordered again yesterday from a more reputible seller.

My concern is whether to get the extended warranty. It's $170 and would lengthen the warranty from 2 to 5 years. My initial reaction is that if there's a design defect, it will manifest itself in the first 2 years. And supposedly the failure rate on top-tier plasma brands is now at 1%. But, on the other hand, it's only 9% of the purchase price. Suggestions?

Eleazar
03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
You can find cheaper warranties online for almost any comsumer good.

There's a reason the retailers push them so hard, because they are almost all pure profit.

Stewie
03-22-2007, 07:39 AM
If $170 covers any problem and includes in-home service, go for it. That's a good price. You can always wait until about four months before your original warranty expires and find deals online.

Bwana
03-22-2007, 07:46 AM
For the most part, I have never been an extended warranty guy. Most of the time they are a rip-off. although a good idea on the surface, as mentioned above, the majority of the time they are over priced for what you get. (Cars can be the worst) $170.00 seems a bit high, but as also stated above, if it includes in house service, I myself would go for it, if not, check on-line for a better deal, but do your homework.

HemiEd
03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
For the most part, I have never been an extended warranty guy. Most of the time they are a rip-off. although a good idea on the surface, as mentioned above, the majority of the time they are over priced for what you get. (Cars can be the worst) $170.00 seems a bit high, but as also stated above, if it includes in house service, I myself would go for it, if not, check on-line for a better deal, but do your homework.

Ditto, I never buy the things because they are pure profit for the seller like Cochise says. However, when I bought my 50" plasma, 1 1/2 years ago, it was over 7k. Due to the newness of the product to me, I paid the $400 for the additional 4 years of total coverage. (Best Buy)

Valiant
03-22-2007, 09:00 AM
The coverage is worthless unless you have to use it...

:)

Infidel Goat
03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey Pittsie,

I bought the same 42" Panasonic as you did at about the same time--I guess from a more reputable merchant (buydig, which I'd guess you used for the 50" model) because I'm already enjoying it in my home.

I just paid for it with my AMEX to get an extra year of warranty on it.

I did not and would not buy the extended warranty.

Consumer Reports recommends against it--and that it usually good enough for me (their child car seats review fubar, notwithstanding).

I'm jealous of your 50", but I couldn't justify the extra money. Besides, it's not like my viewing distance is that far away.

My advice: enjoy it, but save the extended warranty money for beer!

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I also bought the 42" Panny 600U from Newegg a couple of weeks ago.

If you used VISA, typically your manufacturers warranty was doubled, and you have the option of extending the warranty up to 1 year, 364 days from purchase to 5 years for $137 on most of their cards. Call your provider to find out.

Skyy God
03-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey Pittsie,

I bought the same 42" Panasonic as you did at about the same time--I guess from a more reputable merchant (buydig, which I'd guess you used for the 50" model) because I'm already enjoying it in my home.

I just paid for it with my AMEX to get an extra year of warranty on it.

I did not and would not buy the extended warranty.

Consumer Reports recommends against it--and that it usually good enough for me (their child car seats review fubar, notwithstanding).

I'm jealous of your 50", but I couldn't justify the extra money. Besides, it's not like my viewing distance is that far away.

My advice: enjoy it, but save the extended warranty money for beer!

Infidel, I used Beach Camera this time around. It's the same outfit my friend used and his transaction went smoothly. And their rating on bizrate and other sites was pretty stellar. They weren't selling it too hard, and they didn't try to get me to buy any extras I didn't need (like Monster cables for my non-HDMI DVD player). So I'd throw them in the reputable category.

If CR recommends against it, that pretty much makes up my mind. PlasmaTVBuyingGuide does recommend them, but the article is from 2004. I used my Citi card and got the same additional year.

I'm actually glad I waited to see how big my place was before being committed one way or the other. It's basically a loft setup, with the living, dining, and kitchen areas combined. So I can set the couch as far back as I would like. 10' should be plenty.

I'm spending what looks like $6K for a TV, leather couch, floorstanding & center channel speakers, Crate & Barrel desk, Pottery Barn leaning shelf, dining room table and chairs, and other misc stuff. What's another $800 for a bigger TV?

Skyy God
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I also bought the 42" Panny 600U from Newegg a couple of weeks ago.

If you used VISA, typically your manufacturers warranty was doubled, and you have the option of extending the warranty up to 1 year, 364 days from purchase to 5 years for $137 on most of their cards. Call your provider to find out.

Unfortunately, my one credit card is MasterCard. $137 would have been a good deal, though.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately, my one credit card is MasterCard. $137 would have been a good deal, though.

well, as others have said, many online warranties can be had for a fraction. Check out avsforums.com and search there forums about warranties.

As the technology is still advancing, I plan on getting a warranty. In my opinion Consumer Reports is an okay start, but there advice is often contradictory and makes very little sense.

Case in point, used cars. We just bought a new car and looked at an 06 Pontiac G6. had above average and excellent ratings in several categories, and average ratings in reliability, depreciation, and another major category. CR gave it a CR Recommended rating in it's review, but in the chart, listed it overall as an AVERAGE used car. Makes no sense!

Mr. Plow
03-22-2007, 10:09 AM
I used to work a Best Buy in KC. I used to help unload the trucks. After unloading one truck, I'll never buy something high end - laptop, tv, etc - without the extended warranty. At least from a Best Buy type store.

We were not gentle in removing the stuff from the truck. They stacked the tv's to the top of the truck and we would pull out one of the middle ones and let the rest fall.

NaptownChief
03-22-2007, 10:15 AM
How many people have ever had warranty work done on anything other than a car? Not many and hence why they want to sell you an extended warranty.

If something croaks after the original warranty there is a good chance technology has passed your current model by and you will want to replace it anyway....and if not a brand new version of your current model will barely cost much more than you spent on the warranty when the time comes.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 10:30 AM
How many people have ever had warranty work done on anything other than a car? Not many and hence why they want to sell you an extended warranty.

If something croaks after the original warranty there is a good chance technology has passed your current model by and you will want to replace it anyway....and if not a brand new version of your current model will barely cost much more than you spent on the warranty when the time comes.

sorry, but a 42" Panasonic plasma will NEVER be $137. This is true for many items, but not all.

NaptownChief
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
sorry, but a 42" Panasonic plasma will NEVER be $137. This is true for many items, but not all.

True...they will quit making them before they get that cheap but it probably won't take long before you wouldn't even give $137 for one because the technology will be so far behind.

I just bought a new 42 inch HD LCD Vizio last week myself...I've got a 27 inch "HD Ready" LCD that cost $100 more 24 months ago than this 42 inch with the tuner built in. And to be honest I don't even know what I want to do with that 27 incher at this point..

But using that example...if I wanted to put it in my garage I would aslo need to spend about $150 on a HD tuner.....$150 on a HD tuner plus say I spent $150 on the extended warranty two years ago....That would be $300 plus a few dollars of lost interest which would put us a smidge over $300. For $500 I could get a brand new 32 inch LCD with tuner built in. Bigger and better TV for not much more money then I would have spent to buy the warranty and keep the 27inch in play.

And the other side of that is when you buy an extended warranty you have to be very good at keeping all your records so you know where to go and what to do when the time comes...most people lose the paperwork.....and there is a good chance you will have to go through a big hassle and expense of shipping the tv to get it repaired as the odds are good that you will be beyond the "onsite" portion of the warranty when you need it.

HemiEd
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I used to work a Best Buy in KC. I used to help unload the trucks. After unloading one truck, I'll never buy something high end - laptop, tv, etc - without the extended warranty. At least from a Best Buy type store.

We were not gentle in removing the stuff from the truck. They stacked the tv's to the top of the truck and we would pull out one of the middle ones and let the rest fall.

My previous TV from Best Buy was a real lemon. Four service calls in a year that were legitmate bad parts. I got Toshiba to issue a full refund through BB. After that experience, I was not going to take a chance on the Plasma for what they cost.
I am pretty shocked at how much the price has come down on them, they were only projected to drop 10% per year.

jjjayb
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM

One of my co-workers from a few years ago bought a lap top from best buy. They got the extended warranty. A couple years later her laptop got zapped by a power surge. They replaced it with a brand new laptop. They didn't replace it with 2 year old technology. They replaced it with new technology. The same would apply for a t.v. You pay $1500 for a new plasma at best buy and spend $150 on a warranty. 3 years from now your plasma bites the dust. They won't replace it with a 3 year old tv. They will replace it with whatever is out at the time. Great deal if you ever have to use it. Only out $150 bucks if you don't.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 10:54 AM
True...they will quit making them before they get that cheap but it probably won't take long before you wouldn't even give $137 for one because the technology will be so far behind.

I just bought a new 42 inch HD LCD Vizio last week myself...I've got a 27 inch "HD Ready" LCD that cost $100 more 24 months ago than this 42 inch with the tuner built in. And to be honest I don't even know what I want to do with that 27 incher at this point..

But using that example...if I wanted to put it in my garage I would aslo need to spend about $150 on a HD tuner.....$150 on a HD tuner plus say I spent $150 on the extended warranty two years ago....That would be $300 plus a few dollars of lost interest which would put us a smidge over $300. For $500 I could get a brand new 32 inch LCD with tuner built in. Bigger and better TV for not much more money then I would have spent to buy the warranty and keep the 27inch in play.

And the other side of that is when you buy an extended warranty you have to be very good at keeping all your records so you know where to go and what to do when the time comes...most people lose the paperwork.....and there is a good chance you will have to go through a big hassle and expense of shipping the tv to get it repaired as the odds are good that you will be beyond the "onsite" portion of the warranty when you need it.

Thats the beauty of Visa. They have you send all the paperwork right away and they manage it for you. All warranty work on Tvs over 32" is onsite.

As I said, most products aren't worth getting an extended warranty, but some are, especially if the warranty terms are good.

NIU32
03-22-2007, 11:49 AM
i just bought a 42 in Plasma by Vizio for $999 and its an awesome TV! My buddy has the 42 in Plamsa from Panasonic and he even agrees the Vizio is much better. It comes with a 1 year warranty and thats all I went for, but I highly reccommend this TV to anyone looking for a plasma that doesnt wanna spend a couple grand

http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=19

NaptownChief
03-22-2007, 11:55 AM
i just bought a 42 in Plasma by Vizio for $999 and its an awesome TV! My buddy has the 42 in Plamsa from Panasonic and he even agrees the Vizio is much better. It comes with a 1 year warranty and thats all I went for, but I highly reccommend this TV to anyone looking for a plasma that doesnt wanna spend a couple grand

Vizio is the best on the market....The company started by some guys with extensive backgrounds in the TV business and they went to CostCo and Sams Club with the idea that they would start up their company on the basis that they would make the best plasma and LCD tv's on the market and sell them for much less if they would garantee to purchase some very large amounts of tv's over a few years...This allowed them to create the company and do it much cheaper because they didn't have to spend a boatload of money on sales staff and marketing.

Most of the ratings and reviews I have seen rate them #1 in each category.

88TG88
03-22-2007, 12:01 PM

I got the 33" and it works great. I recommend this brand as well.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Vizio is the best on the market....The company started by some guys with extensive backgrounds in the TV business and they went to CostCo and Sams Club with the idea that they would start up their company on the basis that they would make the best plasma and LCD tv's on the market and sell them for much less if they would garantee to purchase some very large amounts of tv's over a few years...This allowed them to create the company and do it much cheaper because they didn't have to spend a boatload of money on sales staff and marketing.

Most of the ratings and reviews I have seen rate them #1 in each category.

most videophiles drool over the Panny 60U/600U. Vizio is generally regarded as a decent brand.

NaptownChief
03-22-2007, 01:10 PM
most videophiles drool over the Panny 60U/600U. Vizio is generally regarded as a decent brand.

I got the original idea from a guy who was a VP of sales for Thomson Electronics(RCA), and he said a person would be silly to buy anything else given the quality and pricing. That coming from an industry insider got my attention.

I then did quite a few searches on the net for reviews and the only even slightly negative review I found we cnet claiming the 46 inch LCD wasn't as good as Vizio's other models....But tons of high praise so I would be hard pressed to call it a "decent brand" but to each his own.

Mr. Plow
03-22-2007, 01:18 PM
My previous TV from Best Buy was a real lemon. Four service calls in a year that were legitmate bad parts. I got Toshiba to issue a full refund through BB. After that experience, I was not going to take a chance on the Plasma for what they cost.
I am pretty shocked at how much the price has come down on them, they were only projected to drop 10% per year.

We used to have contests to see who could slide laptops off the truck and get the most distance.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I got the original idea from a guy who was a VP of sales for Thomson Electronics(RCA), and he said a person would be silly to buy anything else given the quality and pricing. That coming from an industry insider got my attention.

I then did quite a few searches on the net for reviews and the only even slightly negative review I found we cnet claiming the 46 inch LCD wasn't as good as Vizio's other models....But tons of high praise so I would be hard pressed to call it a "decent brand" but to each his own.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815736

http://www.galttech.com/research/buying-online/plasma-tv.php

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th42px600u-review.html
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/vizio_plasma_review.html

Like I said, the Vizio is a decent set, but the Panny is generally better rated. Your RCA buddy may have been right when the Vision was $1k and the Panny was $2500, but now that they are closer in price, it's no argument.