PDA

View Full Version : Berroa likely to lose job

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/16949397.htm

Berroa may lose his job
Royals officials are believed to be looking for an alternative at shortstop.
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
SURPRISE, Ariz. | Shortstop Angel Berroa’s ongoing struggles have the Royals working overtime to find an alternative. Club officials are believed to have put together of list of 20 or more trade candidates for evaluation and discussion purposes.

No deal appears imminent, but officials with other clubs say the Royals show a growing urgency to make some sort of move before they open the regular season April 2 against Boston at Kauffman Stadium.

General manager Dayton Moore declined to confirm the search beyond saying: “We’re always looking for opportunities to make our team better.”

The Royals’ preference, from all appearances, is to land a utility player capable of playing shortstop until they decide whether minor-league prospect Angel Sanchez represents a viable long-term solution.

The matter is further complicated by Sanchez’s ongoing elbow problems. An MRI exam this week revealed nothing new, but tentative plans now call for Sanchez to travel next week to Birmingham, Ala., for an examination by James Andrews.

The escalating search also suggests club officials do not view veteran Alex Gonzalez or Andres Blanco as an interim solution.

Possible trade targets include Colorado’s Clint Barmes and Toronto’s John McDonald unless the Royals can pry loose a high-end prospect such as Erick Aybar or Brandon Wood of the Los Angeles Angels.

Barmes is attracting interest from several teams, including the Cubs and Rangers, because he seems likely to lose his starting job to Troy Tulowitzki. The Rockies don’t have to move Barmes, who has options remaining.

The Blue Jays are believed to be asking a stiff price for McDonald. The Angels have shown no inclination to trade Aybar or Wood.

Berroa’s production has declined steadily since his selection in 2003 as the American League Rookie of the Year. He batted just .234 last season in 132 games, and his .259 on-base percentage was the worst among regular players.

An offseason regimen of agility drills has yet to pay dividends.

Berroa went two for three Wednesday night against Oakland but still has just 10 hits and 14 strikeouts in 38 spring at-bats.

“I see a guy who’s really working hard to get a consistent approach offensively,” manager Buddy Bell said. “Unfortunately, I think his offense sometimes dictates his defense.

“He’s trying to get better. He’s trying like heck to figure it out. We just hope that he does.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon at third

Rookie Alex Gordon will open the season as the starting third baseman for the Royals. | D9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send email to bdutton@kcstar.com.

So much for him working out in the offseason and being in the best shape of his life, too bad that doesn't translate to baseball haha. Looks like we may try to trade for a SS possibly.

Archie Bunker
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
:rockon:

Looks like both KC teams are flushing the turds this year.

gblowfish
03-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Aw-Hell B-Error-A sucks out loud.

Last night I was listening to the game, turn on Denny. Aw-Hell swings thru a pitch on a hit and run, lead runner gets thrown out. Then he hits a weak dribbler up the middle for a hit, then on the next pitch gets picked off first. Typical. Send him to the Cubbies, then they can have Aw-Hell and Neifi both.

Yikes.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Berroa sucks, he won't even autograph kids balls, and just gets in his hummer with his 17 kids after games. Never seen him even look towards the fans, that goof, good riddance.

Archie F. Swin
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Isn't A-Rod looking for work?

Eleazar
03-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm glad we are looking outside the organization. I was dreading the season for the SS whether it was Berroa or Blanco or whomever.

I think maybe this would be a time to pry a higher level prospect.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I'm glad we are looking outside the organization. I was dreading the season for the SS whether it was Berroa or Blanco or whomever.

I would rather not trade Butler to get one though.

noa
03-22-2007, 11:01 AM
It was inevitable. We gave him a fair shot, he never improved, now we just need to cut him loose.

FringeNC
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM

It's tough to find a decent hitting SS. Whoever we put out there is probably going to be the worst SS in MLB.

CoMoChief
03-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I wish we could have someone like Renteria at SS.

Pitt Gorilla
03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I would rather not trade Butler to get one though.I wouldn't either. Butler is going to be one of the best hitters in the game. I'd deal Huber and some other scrub for a guy like Wood.

I'd play with Berroa over dealing Butler.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't either. Butler is going to be one of the best hitters in the game. I'd deal Huber and some other scrub for a guy like Wood.

Sounds like a plan to me for sure, Butler will be a force, even if he is a FT DH.

FringeNC
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't either. Butler is going to be one of the best hitters in the game. I'd deal Huber and some other scrub for a guy like Wood.

You're not talking about Brandon Wood are you? Huber and Butler both couldn't get him. Some had him ranked above Gordon as the top prospect in all of baseball.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 11:15 AM
You're not talking about Brandon Wood are you? Huber and Butler both couldn't get him. Some had him ranked above Gordon as the top prospect in all of baseball.
True, i'd hope for Aybar. Wood is untouchable im sure.

Eleazar
03-22-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't know what value Huber has right now. It would take someone we don't want to lose to pull one of those guys. Wood was the guy that the Angels wouldn't move even when they were trying to get Manny Ramirez, wasn't he?

It's not like we need that much. We need your basic shortstop. Good glove, good arm, half-decent plate discipline, can steal bases. That's it.

shakesthecat
03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Please make this happen, Moore.

I wonder what it would take to get Cedeno from the Cubs

Infidel Goat
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm sure that this won't be popular, but I would be willing to move Teahan for the right SS.

I have to think that he is our most valuable trade candidate when you combine his ability to play 3B and the fact that he is so young and cheap right now.

keg in kc
03-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sure that this won't be popular, but I would be willing to move Teahan for the right SS.

I have to think that he is our most valuable trade candidate when you combine his ability to play 3B and the fact that he is so young and cheap right now.That would actually make some sense with the log-jam of outfielders we may have at the AA-AAA level. I would ask for a hell of a lot, though; he is coming off a .290 season and only 25-years old (26 in September).

Sure-Oz
03-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Man, i'd like to keep teahan unless there was a really good SS prospect thats almost a can't miss major leaguer. We just need someone that is real solid on defense and can hit or take a walk here and there.

KevB
03-22-2007, 01:06 PM
How can the Blue Jays be asking a lot for McDonald? He's as bad a hitter as Berroa, and he's 33 years old. Very solid defender, but c'mon. My guess is that they simply don't want to lose him, as their SS position isn't much better than the Royals.

I'd love to get Aybar, but I'm assuming the Angels are grooming him to replace Orlando Cabrera. Wood's going nowhere.

BigChiefFan
03-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Why not just MOVE Teahen to SS?

DeepSouth
03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
That would actually make some sense with the log-jam of outfielders we may have at the AA-AAA level. I would ask for a hell of a lot, though; he is coming off a .290 season and only 25-years old (26 in September).

I'd rather trade DeJesus than Teahan.

beavis
03-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Someone figure out what happened Ray Sanchez... I'm sure he's looking for a job.

JBucc
03-22-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd rather trade DeJesus than Teahan.Me too. I like De Jesus and all but he's not really spectacular at anything. Teahen has a chance to be a really good player.

GoHuge
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
I would much rather see German playing short than Berroa. He may not have the range but he brings alot more with the bat. I think you'd being getting more overall productivity. Just please flush Berroa!! Something, anything, SOMEBODY!

Halfcan
03-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Berroa and Sweeny for somebody-anybody-please take them.

Reaper16
03-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Me too. I like De Jesus and all but he's not really spectacular at anything. Teahen has a chance to be a really good player.
...and Teahen has been playing center a whole lot lately...

DJ's left nut
03-23-2007, 12:53 AM
How in the world could they possibly pry Aybar or Wood from the Angels?

LA like Aybar so much that they have Wood playing 3b. Wood, strikeout problems aside, is a bigtime hitter (arguably as good as Butler but with some defensive ability).

In short, not a chance they get either guy.

Barmes, on the other hand, wouldn't be a bad pickup for him. He's not as good as his rookie year suggested, but he'll be a lot better than Berroa. He'd probably come on the cheap as well, Tulowitzki's gonna win that SS job in Colorado.