PDA

View Full Version : Is Herm Edwards the Quin Snyder of the NFL?

Logical
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Good talent evaluator, horrible gameday coach?

Redrum_69
03-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Hes the Roy Williams of the NFL...

CoMoChief
03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Hes the Roy Williams of the NFL...

Yeah right. Roy's a great coach.

Archie Bunker
03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
Maybe.

Redrum_69
03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah right. Roy's a great coach.

Sure...coincidence that hes at Duke and theres a lacrosse scandal?

Logical
03-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Sure...coincidence that hes at Duke and theres a lacrosse scandal?ROFL

Boy the North Carolina people are going to be shocked to hear Roy left them for Duke.

Redrum_69
03-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Tarheels...blue devils

everything is relative in NC

Logical
03-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Tarheels...blue devils

everything is relative in NCI think you mean, in NC everyone is related.;)

FringeNC
03-22-2007, 11:00 AM

Well...

I did like the approach we took in the draft last year. Went after football players instead combine studs. New England leans that way, and has a lot of success.

Also, Herm I read a comment somewhere that Herm wanted to emulate NE's strategy of only giving big contracts to guys that produce on the field, and are locker room positives.

Those seem like good things to me. But when the season rolls around, and Herm starts talking about playing it close and pulling it out in the 4th quarter and how high-scoring offenses put defenses in a bind....Who the hell is he emulating there? It sure isn't New England. Seems like 1987 vintage Schottenheimer.

So, yeah, Herm seems okay during the offseason....but once we start playing games, Herm becomes a huge liability. His shit doesn't work, and hasn't in YEARS.

jrowe
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Well...

I did like the approach we took in the draft last year. Went after football players instead combine studs. New England leans that way, and has a lot of success.

Also, Herm I read a comment somewhere that Herm wanted to emulate NE's strategy of only giving big contracts to guys that produce on the field, and are locker room positives.

Those seem like good things to me. But when the season rolls around, and Herm starts talking about playing it close and pulling it out in the 4th quarter and how high-scoring offenses put defenses in a bind....Who the hell is he emulating there? It sure isn't New England. Seems like 1987 vintage Schottenheimer.

So, yeah, Herm seems okay during the offseason....but once we start playing games, Herm becomes a huge liability. His shit doesn't work, and hasn't in YEARS.

Quoted for TRUTH!

I couldn't have said it better.

Herm isn't a total bust as a football guy. Good position coach and talent evaluator. Good defensive mind. Just not head coach material.

Sully
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I've never suspected that Edwards was a cokehead.

keg in kc
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't follow MU or college basketball, but wasn't MU under Snyder always stuck around the middle of the Big XII and not generally a tournament team? Whereas Herm has made the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons. I don't think it's a real good comparison. Wouldn't Roy at Kansas or Maryocre be a better comparison, by winning during the season but (so far) not winning it all?

Hammock Parties
03-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't say Herm is ''horrible'' on gameday.

Logical
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
I don't follow MU or college basketball, but wasn't MU under Snyder always stuck around the middle of the Big XII and not generally a tournament team? Whereas Herm has made the playoffs in 4 of his 6 seasons. I don't think it's a real good comparison. Wouldn't Roy at Kansas or Maryocre be a better comparison, by winning during the season but (so far) not winning it all?

Nah Snyder was a first game of the tournament bust type, typically finishing 2nd to KU in the conference. His teams won just not enough to be championship caliber.

Direckshun
03-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Herm has stated several times that it's a player's game. That he'll do the best he can to get the best guys out there, and they're the ones who have to make the plays.

He's a motivator, but I don't think he's a master strategist, no.

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Which pretty much confirms it.

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Fix the offense Herm. ROFL

Archie Bunker
03-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Nah Snyder was a first game of the tournament bust type, typically finishing 2nd to KU in the conference. His teams won just not enough to be championship caliber.

He had a couple of decent runs. Elite 8 in 2002 and the Paulding vs Wade showdown that was one of the best college basketball games I've ever watched in the second round in 2003.

After that it imploded.

Eleazar
03-22-2007, 11:24 AM
It's not so much that Herm is horrible on gameday, or that he's a delegater, it's that the people he has making these decisions are unimaginative.

King_Chief_Fan
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Tarheels...blue devils

everything is relative in NC

thats what happens when you and the rest of your family breeds with your mom.

Redrum_69
03-22-2007, 11:33 AM
thats what happens when you and the rest of your family breeds with your mom.

that watchdog site has your mom listed

so there!

Brock
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't care if he's a great gameday coach or not. I love what he is doing to this team right now. Overdue, overdue.

Simply Red
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I think you mean, in NC everyone is related.;)

WTF is with all the UNC/NC comments assholes? :)

keg in kc
03-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Nah Snyder was a first game of the tournament bust type, typically finishing 2nd to KU in the conference. His teams won just not enough to be championship caliber.We're both a little off. They had NCAA appearances his first four seasons (so I was wrong there), but only one first round loss. Then they went to the NIT for two years, and then he was let go in February his last season, with the team right around .500. I still think they were mid-seeds for the Big 12 tournament more often than not; I remember discussions on local talk radio about how often they went in as 5 or 6 seeds. And since they went to the NCAA's as an 18-13 team in 2000, and made the elite 8 as a 12 seed in 2002, I think I'm probably not far off there.

The NFL is more competitive than NCAA basketball, by its very nature, so there's no sliding in like, say, a bubble team in a BCS conference. If you make the playoffs you belong there, and like it or not, Herm's done it 4 of 6 years. I would venture a guess that the coaching equivalent of Quin Snyder in the NFL would be someone like Bruce Coslet, just bad, year after year, despite top picks.

But that's just my opinion.

Rausch
03-22-2007, 11:49 AM

I'd say he's fine until the last 2 minutes...

jrowe
03-22-2007, 12:52 PM
We're both a little off. They had NCAA appearances his first four seasons (so I was wrong there), but only one first round loss. Then they went to the NIT for two years, and then he was let go in February his last season, with the team right around .500. I still think they were mid-seeds for the Big 12 tournament more often than not; I remember discussions on local talk radio about how often they went in as 5 or 6 seeds. And since they went to the NCAA's as an 18-13 team in 2000, and made the elite 8 as a 12 seed in 2002, I think I'm probably not far off there.

The NFL is more competitive than NCAA basketball, by its very nature, so there's no sliding in like, say, a bubble team in a BCS conference. If you make the playoffs you belong there, and like it or not, Herm's done it 4 of 6 years. I would venture a guess that the coaching equivalent of Quin Snyder in the NFL would be someone like Bruce Coslet, just bad, year after year, despite top picks.

But that's just my opinion.

You can't just say "herm made the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years so he's a good coach." Making a blanket statement like that is similar to the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was "master of the dojo." He could beat every other person in his karate class single-handedly. The joke was that his karate class was comprised of 10 year olds.

When evaluating herm, you have to look at the circumstances, such as the direction and progress of the team. When in NY, the jets made the playoffs under herm with records barely over .500 and against a division that was very weak other than the top team. While herm was there, the jets accumulated talent and underperformed. I believe the same will happen here.

Just look at the past year. Yes, the chiefs made the playoffs - with a worse record than the year before against a vastly easier schedule. Is that progress? IMO, the chiefs will progress with herm as a result of getting better talent and getting younger. However, in the end, their underperformance and horrible game day coaching will plague us, and herm will be fired.

nychief
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM

wow. how long did you ponder this?

siberian khatru
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Nah Snyder was a first game of the tournament bust type

That was Norm.

Norm = Marty.

RealSNR
03-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Who the hell is Quin Snyder?

Logical
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
You can't just say "herm made the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years so he's a good coach." Making a blanket statement like that is similar to the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was "master of the dojo." He could beat every other person in his karate class single-handedly. The joke was that his karate class was comprised of 10 year olds.

When evaluating herm, you have to look at the circumstances, such as the direction and progress of the team. When in NY, the jets made the playoffs under herm with records barely over .500 and against a division that was very weak other than the top team. While herm was there, the jets accumulated talent and underperformed. I believe the same will happen here.

Just look at the past year. Yes, the chiefs made the playoffs - with a worse record than the year before against a vastly easier schedule. Is that progress? IMO, the chiefs will progress with herm as a result of getting better talent and getting younger. However, in the end, their underperformance and horrible game day coaching will plague us, and herm will be fired.

This is how I think of it as well, I certainly did not express it as well though in my thread starter.

DMAC
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Who the hell is Quin Snyder?
The big brother of Leo Dicaprio.

Tried to make it big, but just couldnt get there.

Now lives a life of crack, yay-yo, and greasy hair.

HemiEd
03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Fix the offense Herm. ROFL

Mission accomplished. We won't be outscoring anybody on the road with this offense.

Logical
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Mission accomplished. We won't be outscoring anybody on the road with this offense.That is for damn sure.

Messier
03-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Okay, you want to look at the circumstances? Last year the best lineman retired right before the season and the qb went down for more than half the season. The team still made the playoffs. It works both ways.