03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Link?

Saulbadguy
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Link?
http://kentucky.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=888&fid=1383

Skip Towne
03-22-2007, 01:32 PM
I heard they want Calipari and he s chomping at the bit. Don't tell Peanut.

CoMoChief
03-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Quin Snyder needs a job.

Marco Polo
03-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Man that's tough for the B10. I wouldn't have minded having him at Iowa.

Eleazar
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Holy crap:

4423 Kentucky fans online, including 2957 guests.

(and yet the board is still performing well...)

noa
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I can't believe he would choose Minn. They haven't done squat in basketball since they got busted for cheating.

Saulbadguy
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
Holy crap:

4423 Kentucky fans online, including 2957 guests.

(and yet the board is still performing well...)
(Record: 7817 on March 18, 2007)

nychief
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
rich petino?

Archie Bunker
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
I think its a pretty good fit for both parties.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 01:46 PM
WTF??

chagrin
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
I didn't see a confirmation, just talk?

noa
03-22-2007, 02:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2808406

Sources: Smith to leave Kentucky for Minnesota
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Tubby Smith is leaving Kentucky to take over the head coaching job at Minnesota, multiple sources told ESPN.com's Andy Katz on Thursday.

Smith had four years remaining on his Kentucky contract.

Smith has met with Kentucky players and athletic director Mitch Barnhart. He is expected to fly to Minnesota later Thursday afternoon.

Smith called former Minnesota coach Dan Monson early Thursday and told him he was accepting the job. Minnesota is expected to pay Smith $1.8 million per year.

In 10 years at Kentucky, where he replaced Rick Pitino, Smith went 263-83 and went to the NCAA Tournament every season, winning the 1998 national championship. But the Wildcats have not been back to the Final Four since. This season's team, which finished 22-12 overall and 9-7 in the SEC, had more Kentucky fans calling for Smith's ouster.

Earlier this month, before the Wildcats played their first-round NCAA Tournament game, Barnhart issued a statement supporting Smith, saying "Tubby's our basketball coach."

But Barnhart also said that he and Smith would sit down after the season to discuss potential changes -- and declined to say whether any of Smith's assistants might be replaced.

Andy Katz is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

ArrowheadHawk
03-22-2007, 02:14 PM
billy gilespie would be number one on my list, huggins would probably jump ship also

eazyb81
03-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Calipari will own UK if he goes there - he will be Pitino Jr.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
I guess this means Huggie will leave us!

:deevee:

ROFL

KevB
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Calipari will own UK if he goes there - he will be Pitino Jr.

He would also be leaving a National Championship caliber team next year....likely pre-season top 3 if no defections (and none are anticipated).

Sam Hall
03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I can't believe he would choose Minn. They haven't done squat in basketball since they got busted for cheating.

I think it's about leaving the pressure of Kentucky basketball.

Prince22
03-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I have been gone for a while but I figured I'd fill you all in since I'm here in Kentucky. First of all, the UK fans that ran that man out of town do not reflect the majority of UK fans. Catspause.com is over run by rednecks and narrow minded idiots. I wish Tubby the best and hope he eventually gets another championship(albeit he'd have a better shot had he went to Michigan) to shove it in their face.

Now, the next coach every UK fan wants to see here is Billy D. I really do not think he will come here. He obviously has to much going for him.
Callipari is next on my list as well as most fans. Up tempo and can recruit with the best of them. The two things Tubby did not do. Gillispie is third but on my list but after that it gets tough.

Dont worry Saul, not one Kentucky fan wants Huggy Bear. lol

What I'm worried about is our AD, Mitch Barnhardt. Before all this "rumors" were going around that Mike Brey was his man. Only because they're close friends. Now we are all hearing Tom Crean. If Tom Crean is hired you will be able to see the smoke from Lexington in Kansas. All these fans want uptempo and the best recruits, something tubby and tom do not do. Crean's a good coach just not good enough for Kentucky. I should say that rumor was started by Louisville homer Fred ****ing Cowgil. I'll post more later I'm watching PTI.

by the way catspause is now up to 12265 and still running

RP_McMurphy
03-22-2007, 04:00 PM
It wasn't racist at all. It was a coach that had not got it done on the recruiting trail for the last 8 years (O4 was the only UK quality class). He had been outrecruited by Prep Schools lately. I want Calipari or Billy G. I don't see Billy D. leaving Gainesville.

eazyb81
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
He would also be leaving a National Championship caliber team next year....likely pre-season top 3 if no defections (and none are anticipated).

It would take him one year tops to build a NC caliber team at UK, plus the prestige of being UK's coach is something he probably can't turn down.

Bearcat
03-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Record: 13658 on March 22, 2007

The top 5 threads are Dick Vitale calling them the Yankees... apparently they didn't like that. It must be going around.

Braincase
03-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Buddy of mine from Minnesota is coming over. First thing out of my mouth will be "Looks like you're getting Tubby".

Discuss Thrower
03-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Record: 13658 on March 22, 2007

The top 5 threads are Dick Vitale calling them the Yankees... apparently they didn't like that. It must be going around.

What does that make Duke then?

Either way, Tubby has been coach for the majority of my life, so that's a strange change... I don't get to see many games, not in KY enough to leech of my grandparent's nosebleed seats, but I still consider myself a fan... Wish Tubby the best of luck, this is about as good as things could've gone for both UK and Smith.

Now, if UK can find a coach that can take them higher than an #8 seed next year...

KevB
03-22-2007, 10:14 PM
It would take him one year tops to build a NC caliber team at UK, plus the prestige of being UK's coach is something he probably can't turn down.

Was my original statement wrong? He'd be leaving a team that just advanced to the Elite 8, loses one player, and a recruiting class coming in with the number 1 point guard in the country.

I'm well aware of what Kentucky would offer, but there's no way he gets them to National Title contention in one year.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2007, 06:51 AM
This should be an entertaining coaching search, kind of like the Notre Dame one a couple years back. 2 programs that think they are better than they are.

eazyb81
03-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Was my original statement wrong? He'd be leaving a team that just advanced to the Elite 8, loses one player, and a recruiting class coming in with the number 1 point guard in the country.

I'm well aware of what Kentucky would offer, but there's no way he gets them to National Title contention in one year.

Your statement wasn't wrong, but your implication that Calipari wouldn't leave Memphis for the mecca of all CBB jobs is incorrect. If Cal went to UK and won big like Pitino did, he would go down as a legend in the sport. Even by continuing to win at Memphis, he will never get the respect he's due by playing in a crap conference and beating up on nobodies.

Calipari has too much of an ego to turn down the most prestigious job in his field, assuming they offer.

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Tubby has $1.8 million reasons to take the Minny job.

Yeah, that's right - his comp package is worth almost $2M PER YEAR.

And the rumors out of Iowa City is that since Alford left and they don't have to pay him his buyout, they're looking to spend between $1.5M and $1.75M per...

RP_McMurphy
03-23-2007, 08:14 AM
1.8 million and he took a paycut to go to Minnesota.

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 08:16 AM
1.8 million and he took a paycut to go to Minnesota.

He won't have nearly the stress he had at UK.

RP_McMurphy
03-23-2007, 08:19 AM
True but by leaving Kentucky he admitted failure at one of the destination jobs in college basketball.

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
True but by leaving Kentucky he admitted failure at one of the destination jobs in college basketball.

Some people just don't care about stuff like that. Health and happiness are more important than ego.

Ceej
03-23-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't know if anyone else had heard, but SportsCenter said Crean and Few were two possible canidates.

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't know if anyone else had heard, but SportsCenter said Crean and Few were two possible canidates.

Just about everybody will be a candidate for the Kentucky job.

They're gonna go hard after Billy Donovan, bank on it. And when Florida steps up and pays him what it's gonna take to keep him in Gainesville, they'll probably turn their attention to Gillispie.

Ceej
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Makes sense, I was just sharing information from the "worldwide leader in sports." LOL.

KevB
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Your statement wasn't wrong, but your implication that Calipari wouldn't leave Memphis for the mecca of all CBB jobs is incorrect. If Cal went to UK and won big like Pitino did, he would go down as a legend in the sport. Even by continuing to win at Memphis, he will never get the respect he's due by playing in a crap conference and beating up on nobodies.

Calipari has too much of an ego to turn down the most prestigious job in his field, assuming they offer.

I didn't imply anything, just made a statement. It was meant to deter folks from assuming that Cal to Kentucky would be a slam dunk, no strings attached decision. He has relationships with all these kids who return next year(all but one player), and an extremely bright future at Memphis. Most don't realize everything Memphis has to offer. Outstanding facilities, high pay to both coach and assistants, a state of the art NBA arena to play in, an NBA "aura" to entice recruits, fertiel recruiting in his backyard, great fans, etc.
All that said, I agree with everything you say above, and as a Memphis fan I'm very worried. Most Memphis fans had Kentucky as the job that most worried them relative to Calipari leaving.

I'm pulling for Donovan to take the job. He's got a class of kids he loves that will likely turn pro after the season, so it should be a fairly painless transition. That said, he's got an awfully good thing going there at Florida.

Bearcat
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Just about everybody will be a candidate for the Kentucky job.

Roy Williams doesn't give a sh*t about Kentucky.

Slick32
03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Tubby Smith to Minnesota
Who will take over at Kentucky?

Who really cares?

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Roy Williams doesn't give a sh*t about Kentucky.

Nor does Bill Self or Ben Howland.

I'm sure you knew I wasn't talking about them.

RP_McMurphy
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
If your a college basketball fan you should care.
Who really cares?

Slick32
03-23-2007, 07:47 PM
If your a college basketball fan you should care.

I am a college basketball fan, but I don't care about Kentucky, Minnesota, Michigan or..... you get the drift. I'm more in tune with the original Big 8. I'm not too impressed with the Texas league addition.

Bearcat
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Nor does Bill Self or Ben Howland.

I'm sure you knew I wasn't talking about them.

http://www.kusports.com/news/03finalfour/story/106658

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/tshirt.jpg