PDA

View Full Version : Broncos: Wilson to the giants and 1st rd pick swap

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
There it is

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
according to MVN

http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/ (http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/)

It has now been confirmed by the Denver Post that the newest member of the New York Giants is former Broncos MLB Al Wilson. I have not been told what the pieces of this trade include, but based on previous reports, DE Justin Tuck will be shipped to Denver along with a swap in 1st round picks.

The only thing that stands between Wilson and a NY helmet is an extensive physical that will research his nagging injuries that have bothered him over the years, most notably his neck and thumb. Reese wanted hungry players on the defensive side of the ball and that is arguably Wilson’s strongest attribute right along with his blazing speed. It appears he will be shifted to the outside, but it is unclear at the moment if that means he will be the WILL or SAM but either way, we are getting an outstanding linebacker that Denver fans proclaim the “heart and soul” of their defense.

ct
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
So Wilson for Tuck, and Denver bumps a spot in the 1st? I know they need some more pass rush, but AW is a solid player. This can't be the full picture here.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
It's still muddled. I hate to see Wilson go, but sometimes...you have to know when to get out of a deal.

Mr. Laz
03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
so far it looks like denver is getting shorted on this

which surprises me ..... they usually do well.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
It does seem that way Laz.

Direckshun
03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
The Giants only moved down one spot and got a perennial Pro Bowl linebacker with occasional injuries. They should get another couple of Pro Bowl seasons out of him and I don't know if they really had to pay anything for it.

MGRS13
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
It does seem that way Laz.
Is it true denver did this partly because of salary cap issues? If so read the article I posted about the brown-cos, if you go into salary cap hell because of those bozo's, well thats got to sting.

Frazod
03-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Sounds like the Donx got hosed on this deal. I like it. :thumb:

Wilson is a pain in the ass. I won't miss him.

Direckshun
03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
We need that .gif of LJ "disappearing" to make Wilson miss.

the Talking Can
03-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Denver already got Wilson's best years....depending on how high the swap is, it could be alright....

in general, trading 30 year olds for picks ain't a bad scheme...

htismaqe
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Anybody know yet what the "point value" of the move is?

Moving up one spot doesn't sound like much, but it could make a world of difference if they're trying to create a package to move up in the 1st.

Garcia Bronco
Is it true denver did this partly because of salary cap issues? If so read the article I posted about the brown-cos, if you go into salary cap hell because of those bozo's, well thats got to sting.

I read Fatman's attempt to bash the Broncos. Al Wilson is just not getting it done at the middle linebacker spot. So we are going to move DJ williams inside to his natural position, and we are getting rid of Al's salary. Tuck is an unknown quantity compared to Wilson, but there is going to be serious competition for the DL this season. If we get better up front...the linebackers will be more of a factor in Bates system, and Bates is the guy calling the shots on this trade.

the Talking Can
only 1 spot?

good deal for the Giants

MGRS13
03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Denver already got Wilson's best years....depending on how high the swap is, it could be alright....

in general, trading 30 year olds for picks ain't a bad scheme...
Generally speaking you are right but I'm not gonna let you or any typical donk fan tell me how Wilson sucks. He was injured last year but the guy is a beast. Denvers LB core just got very very average.

ct
03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Anybody know yet what the "point value" of the move is?

Moving up one spot doesn't sound like much, but it could make a world of difference if they're trying to create a package to move up in the 1st.

fitty points

the Talking Can
03-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Generally speaking you are right but I'm not gonna let you or any typical donk fan tell me how Wilson sucks. He was injured last year but the guy is a beast. Denvers LB core just got very very average.

uh, where did I say he sucks?

are you his girlfriend?

HolmeZz
Glad to see the Donks make a bad move.

stlchiefs
shanarat has to have something else up his sleeve here. He's too shifty to get taken like this. He probably greased up the papers with Vaseline.

Shanarat

Sure-Oz
03-23-2007, 12:59 PM
They moved up one spot? Giants got a steal

Direckshun
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
How much you want to bet that Al Wilson just becomes a monster for a couple years now that he's playing behind a decent DL?

MGRS13
03-23-2007, 01:02 PM
uh, where did I say he sucks?

are you his girlfriend?
Don't get your panties in a wad I did'nt say you said he sucked I was saying it's only a matter of time before donk fans come along singing this tune. Hell if he was my girlfriend I'd be a lot richer, I'd probably even have to vote republican to get those tax breaks, alas....

gcbroncos
If all we get for trading wilson is Justin Tuck and swapping 1st then even with homer glasses on we got friggin hosed....

ct
I guess we've all just come to expect Denver to get the obvious better end of deals. Says a lot, under the surface don't it?

I think the G-men get the slight edge here, only cause Wilson has some injury history, or else they'd have a clear edge. If they get a couple solid seasons out of him, this is a great deal for them.

Tuck is a nice role player, and granted much younger, but that's about it.

But seriously folks, who here wouldn't trade Greg Wesley for a lesser player, and a 1 pick bump in the 1st round? If you don't want the guy anyway, do it.

Sure-Oz
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
If all we get for trading wilson is Justin Tuck and swapping 1st then even with homer glasses on we got friggin hosed....
Sounds like they got bent over without the lube

louie aguiar
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Wilson has been the heart and soul of that Denver team for a long time now. I, for one, am glad to see him go.

HemiEd
03-23-2007, 01:04 PM
so far it looks like denver is getting shorted on this

which surprises me ..... they usually do well.

Anyone remember their deal with San Fran? According to Adam Shein(sp) on Sirius they got fleeced by the 9ers.

Brock
03-23-2007, 01:04 PM
They got rid of a player on the decline for a young guy. It's a good move.

Codered
03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I am just wondering if the report was read. There could still be more then just Tuck and a swap.

It has now been confirmed by the Denver Post that the newest member of the New York Giants is former Broncos MLB Al Wilson. I have not been told what the pieces of this trade include, but based on previous reports, DE Justin Tuck will be shipped to Denver along with a swap in 1st round picks.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
MGR...he's a nasty hitter, but he just doesn't make game changing plays. But since he is good and he's value is at it's peak....this is a good way to go

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:11 PM

I think you over value Wilson

beer bacon
03-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess we've all just come to expect Denver to get the obvious better end of deals. Says a lot, under the surface don't it?

I think the G-men get the slight edge here, only cause Wilson has some injury history, or else they'd have a clear edge. If they get a couple solid seasons out of him, this is a great deal for them.

Tuck is a nice role player, and granted much younger, but that's about it.

But seriously folks, who here wouldn't trade Greg Wesley for a lesser player, and a 1 pick bump in the 1st round? If you don't want the guy anyway, do it.

Greg Wesley is not anywhere near the same ballpark as Wilson. That is not a good comparison.

beer bacon
03-23-2007, 01:12 PM

Al Wilson is/was the soul of your defense.

Halfcan
03-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I am glad it was not to Detroit.

Glad to see Wilson go, what a stoopid trade they could have got Bell from us-lol

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 01:15 PM
MGR...he's a nasty hitter, but he just doesn't make game changing plays. But since he is good and he's value is at it's peak....this is a good way to go
This is stupidity and, even with homer glasses, Shanny and Sundquist are getting tailpiped. The Broncos give up their proven leader, heart and soul on D for one spot and a hasn't been coming off of an injury season. An entire offseason of reloading and this is a rebuilding move. Shanny's moved his love affair from the CB position to the DL and he's pulling a Middlebrooks on this one. We're about to take a serious downgrade on D.

And this talk about Wilson on the decline, Wilson not making game changing plays is a pile of sheeit. Wilson's playing with not only the offensive line in his grill but the big fat brownco asses of the turds we've been cleaning up off the Cleveland streets for four years. Get someone, anyone, who commands a double team once in a while and Wilson would dominate games. But no, we've been fiddle dicking around with DL for years and somehow Al is responsible for the lackluster pass rush and shoddy run stopping from the front four? That's just crap, the guy is a beast and if this is all we get the Denver FO has taken a John Holmes size screw job right up the tailpipe.

Pretend for a brief second that our DEs actually step up this year. Won't matter because LT, LJ and Poppie will be running down a 4 lane highway through the middle of our D. Denver DL=Dumptrucks, always backing up. I'm going to go puke now.

The Bad Guy
Wilson was the best MLB in the AFC. He was awesome behind a D-line that never had DT's to protect him.

I'm happy to see him go. It's good to see that Daniel Graham, a slightly above average TE and their overspending, cost the Broncos a top defensive player.

ct
Greg Wesley is not anywhere near the same ballpark as Wilson. That is not a good comparison.

Totally agree, just makin a point. So eliminate the 1st round, and make it a move up in any round, or just moving up a round on Day 2. If you don't want the guy anyway, why not make the deal?

gcbroncos
03-23-2007, 01:19 PM

not at all.....i know exactly what wilson is.....the key is to be able to convince your trade partner of a "perceived" value...

wilson has the resume to command more than what is being allegedly reported....esp if the eagles & lions were trying to bid on this....

honestly, i'm just hoping there is more to the trade than this....

if you think this trade is fair then you'r undervaluing wilson

beer bacon
03-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Totally agree, just makin a point. So eliminate the 1st round, and make it a move up in any round, or just moving up a round on Day 2. If you don't want the guy anyway, why not make the deal?

The reason the Broncos don't want Wilson is because Graham's 15 million dollar guaranteed has messed up their cap. They are trading away an all-pro MLB so they can afford to pay a 20 catch-a-year TE.

Codered
03-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Patrick Willis may have just become the Broncos first round target.

beer bacon
03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Patrick Willis may have just become the Broncos first round target.

I frankly hope the Broncos trade away the rest of their draft so they can move up.

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 01:26 PM
The reason the Broncos don't want Wilson is because Graham's 15 million dollar guaranteed has messed up their cap. They are trading away an all-pro MLB so they can afford to pay a 20 catch-a-year TE.
Ding ding ding. Tell him what he's won Bob.

stlchiefs
03-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Ding ding ding. Tell him what he's won Bob.

Shanarat

HemiEd
03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Can someone tell me the details of the most recent trade the Broncos/49ers made? I can not remember it, last year?

Blindside58
03-23-2007, 01:31 PM
I just read on Rotoworld that this deal has been nixed

The Newark Star-Ledger reports Al Wilson will not be traded to the Giants.

That was quick; Wilson was in New York taking a physical on Friday. Jints trainers must've not liked something they saw from the 29-year-old.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
This is stupidity and, even with homer glasses, Shanny and Sundquist are getting tailpiped. The Broncos give up their proven leader, heart and soul on D.

the heart and soul of a D that collapses like they are the 2005 Chiefs defense. I love Al Wilson, but this makes sense from a getting better defensive perspective. Does that mean we are better automatically...no...but changes need to be made. I can respect that from the FO.

kcbronco
03-23-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm hoping there is more to this and Detriot is still involved with Denver somehow getting #2 to use on Thomas or Calvin Johnson.

In reality, I have a feeling after seeing the change that free agents got like Porter to Miami, Al was looking for a bump and Denver didn't want to commit that type of money to him in the next few years.

Rain Man
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I hope this trade is culminated. I would be very glad to see Denver lose Al Wilson.

Sure-Oz
03-23-2007, 01:36 PM
So the deal is not a deal now??! wtf

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Denver Post is reporting that the trade has happened, but right now it's dependent on a physical

Stinger
03-23-2007, 01:40 PM
So the deal is not a deal now??! wtf

Wilson deal not going to happen
Posted by Mike Garafolo March 23, 2007 3:16PM
Categories: Trades
According to someone familiar with the trade talks, the potential deal for LB Al Wilson isn't going to happen. Details still soming in.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but all I said was that Wilson was in New York for a physical. Maybe the Giants saw something they didn't like. Or maybe another team stepped in and offered more. Or maybe the Broncos upped their request. At this point, I'm not sure of the exact reason, but I have been told this isn't a matter of the deal not happening today. I'm told it's not going to happen period.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/

:shrug:

Blindside58
03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Per Rotoworld.com

While the Denver Post is reporting Al Wilson has been traded to the Giants, the Newark Star-Ledger reports the deal will not happen.

Wilson was in New York for a physical Friday, but the Star-Ledger quotes a source saying the team won't make a move for Wilson. It appears the Denver Post has jumped the gun, but we'll keep the matter updated.
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
LOL....oh well. I hope we can get somethig for him...because DJ williams is our new MLB.

Brock
03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Well, I bet Wilson is just thrilled.

Stinger
03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
ROFL ROFL

The Bronco offseason has been wierd. Next thing will probably be that we will hear that Wilson is retiring.

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
the heart and soul of a D that collapses like they are the 2005 Chiefs defense. I love Al Wilson, but this makes sense from a getting better defensive perspective. Does that mean we are better automatically...no...but changes need to be made. I can respect that from the FO.
I've been a Coyer skeptic from day 1. I never liked his scheme. Our DL was perpetually on roller skates and had no push on the pocket. We need DL to complete the D but not at the expense of the only consistant performer in our front 7. Overall this deal would have been a downgrade on D for years. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a deal for Al, I'm saying that THIS shouldn't be the deal for Al.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:51 PM
I've been a Coyer skeptic from day 1. I never liked his scheme. Our DL was perpetually on roller skates and had no push on the pocket. We need DL to complete the D but not at the expense of the only consistant performer in our front 7. Overall this deal would have been a downgrade on D for years. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a deal for Al, I'm saying that THIS shouldn't be the deal for Al.

Maybe...it's dead now though.

ct
03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, it certainly has been a fun roller-coaster off-season for Denver.

MGRS13
03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow there goes his trade value.

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Maybe...it's dead now though.
Thank God I got through to Shanny. If we're cutting cap $ the Browncos are a good place to start.

HemiEd
03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, I bet Wilson is just thrilled.

Hopefully some damage is done.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Thank God I got through to Shanny. If we're cutting cap $ the Browncos are a good place to start.

the ones we have a pretty good.

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 02:01 PM
the ones we have a pretty good.
Did they decide to take off the roller skates? Why wasn't this reported? Seriously though, if the dumptrucks don't get it together it's going to get frustrating. I'm sick of seeing those turds backpeddling to the goal line.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Now the scuttlebutt is

Wilson + 2nd for Eagles 1st

Mile High Mania
03-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Now the scuttlebutt is

My head hurts from all this nonsense.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 02:31 PM
you and me both

RaiderH8r
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Now the scuttlebutt is

Linky Linky?

Fundamentally I just don't like the idea of moving Wilson. It will put us into a position of need that just doesn't have much out there in the way of FA market. So we either spend a pick on a DE or a LB which still leaves us in a position of need at one of those spots and down one pro bowl player. Any deal will have to provide a huge boost at whatever position is addressed and we're not going to get that big of a boost with whomever replaces Al. More likely we take a production hit. I just don't like it for most of the scenarios that have been floated.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
it was on Siruis radio

ct
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Now the scuttlebutt is

That would put Wilson at about mid 2nd round value, which seems about right to me. Shanny is most definitely up to somethin.

#26 = 700

#56 = 340

360 = #54 (coincidentally KC's 2nd round pick)

Mile High Mania
03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
So, you're saying that the "supposed" deal according to Sirius is sending Wilson and the R2 pick to Philly for their #1 (#26).

Weird...

ct
03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
So, you're saying that the "supposed" deal according to Sirius is sending Wilson and the R2 pick to Philly for their #1 (#26).

Weird...

Which would give you #21 and #26.

And just for fun, that's 800 and 700 pts, which equates to the 7th overall pick. I'm not likin this...

Mile High Mania
03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Which would give you #21 and #26.

And just for fun, that's 800 and 700 pts, which equates to the 7th overall pick. I'm not likin this...

Right... wonder if one scenario is Bly and the #26 to WAS for their top 10 pick... :clap: and we keep the #21.

ct
03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Right... wonder if one scenario is Bly and the #26 to WAS for their top 10 pick... :clap: and we keep the #21.

Ha!

I was kinda thinkin #21, #26, and Dre Bly back to Detroit for #2. Millen decides he screwed up, and makes amends.

dirk digler
03-23-2007, 03:04 PM

If the Redskins go for that they are stupid mofo's.

My thinking is that Denver would send both of their 1st round picks to move up high

ct
03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
If the Redskins go for that they are stupid mofo's.

My thinking is that Denver would send both of their 1st round picks to move up high

well ...

Mile High Mania
03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Who knows... the drama is maddening.

Frazod
03-23-2007, 03:11 PM
Sadly, this new spin makes perfect sense. :banghead:

ct
03-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Profootballtalk...

POSTED 4:04 p.m. EDT, March 23, 2007

NO DEAL FOR WILSON

Arthur Staple of Newsday reports that the Giants will not be trading for Broncos linebacker Al Wilson.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/blog/
Writes Staple: "Broncos LB Al Wilson is, or was, in Giants Stadium today to take a physical, which seemed to be the last hurdle to closing the deal. The person did not offer details, only to say the deal was dead -- it was believed to be for a mid-round draft pick."

Common sense suggests that something happened with the physical, but obviously we've got no specific information to support that the doctors put the kibosh on the move. Wilson had neck and thumb injuries in 2006.

A year ago, the Giants signed LaVar Arrington at a time when many league insiders thought that he would not be able to pass a physical.

ROYC75
03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
My head hurts from all this nonsense.

( Foghorn ) Me too, I wish your team would just stop it and do nothing, nothing I tell ya, that damn boy is crazy, notta lick of sense in that head of his.

HolmeZz
03-23-2007, 03:40 PM
If the physical is the reason why the Giants didn't do the deal, then you're not going to get anything for Wilson.

If the Broncos were willing to trade Al for just a swap of 1st rounders, no way Philly gives their 1st for Al and your 2nd anyway.

Mile High Mania
03-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Ya never know ... and the physical deal is all speculation at this point.

Garcia Bronco
03-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Linky Linky?

Fundamentally I just don't like the idea of moving Wilson. It will put us into a position of need that just doesn't have much out there in the way of FA market. So we either spend a pick on a DE or a LB which still leaves us in a position of need at one of those spots and down one pro bowl player. Any deal will have to provide a huge boost at whatever position is addressed and we're not going to get that big of a boost with whomever replaces Al. More likely we take a production hit. I just don't like it for most of the scenarios that have been floated.

DJ will be a better MLB IMO

Hammock Parties
03-23-2007, 07:38 PM
They are moving DJ Williams to middle linebacker.

Here comes LJ....LMAO

listopencil
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah..uh...I have no idea what in the hell is going on. I just wanted to share that with you. Carry on.

MYKCCHIEFS
03-23-2007, 11:06 PM
We need that .gif of LJ "disappearing" to make Wilson miss.

Adios Bitch! (http://www.cardomain.com/ride/722327/4)

Valiant
03-23-2007, 11:15 PM

Especially since Scheftler was awesome for Cutler...

Hammock Parties
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I made a new version:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3358/ljloldv4.gif (http://imageshack.us)

HolmeZz
03-23-2007, 11:39 PM
The Denver Post is the newspaper world's answer to Warpaint Illustrated. Goin' scoop for scoop.

Hammock Parties
03-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Check out Big Gay Al getting cut by ONE OF HIS OWN LINEMEN as Priest runs past:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7348/alcutlj5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

buddha
03-24-2007, 08:02 AM
I wish KC's linebackers weren't "getting it done" as much as Al Wilson has in the past! When's the last time we had an all-pro at MLB? Spani?

This had to be a salary cap dump...there is no other explanation.

mikey23545
03-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Check out Big Gay Al getting cut by ONE OF HIS OWN LINEMEN as Priest runs past:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/7348/alcutlj5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

I didn't know the Broncos were cannibalistic.

chiefbowe82
03-24-2007, 12:36 PM
:)