PDA

View Full Version : Rock Chalk you lose, nice season though.

Logical
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I know you guys thought UCLA did not have the ability to play good defense, I hope you know better now. I waited until the hurt died down to post because I know you guys were suffering. You will have a good team again next year and this is nothing to be ashamed of you lost to a top tier team.

Crush
03-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Tis is life and it was hell of a journey. Bring on the Royals.

Bearcat
03-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Congrats... I've never believed in the "I hope you win it all so I can at least say my team lost to the eventual NC", but good luck anyway :p

Braincase
03-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Only one team was going to win, so somebody's going to be upset. UCLA earned it, we missed too many shots, contested and otherwise.

Logical
03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Congrats... I've never believed in the "I hope you win it all so I can at least say my team lost to the eventual NC", but good luck anyway :pThanks Bearcat, I did not realize you were a KU student/alum.

Silock
03-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I didn't pick KU winning in any of my brackets against UCLA. So, tonight was no surprise, especially the massive home court advantage UCLA had that you said they wouldn't have.

Oh well, at least KU should/will return everyone next year.

BWillie
03-24-2007, 10:10 PM
They are all comin back. Next year 37-0. Mark it down. No SR's. Only person that MIGHT leave is Rush, and I doubt it....although he is old and has a couple of kids...or so mizzou fans claim.

Logical
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
They are all comin back. Next year 37-0. Mark it down. No SR's. Only person that MIGHT leave is Rush, and I doubt it....although he is old and has a couple of kids...or so mizzou fans claim.UCLA's team is also entirely young but I have little hope no one will be going pro. I am suprised you think KU is immune.

Gravedigger
03-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm not making excuses for KU but honestly I think KU beat itself more than UCLA beat them. Stupid mistakes bad ball handling and basically not being on par with UCLA in scoring killed em. I also blame KU for getting away from their game in the second half. They kept running into the paint to try and score instead of attacking from the outside. KU is more about getting intricate shots rather than running up front into the paint to get a layup or a physical point.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2007, 11:08 PM
They are all comin back. Next year 37-0. Mark it down. No SR's. Only person that MIGHT leave is Rush, and I doubt it....although he is old and has a couple of kids...or so mizzou fans claim.

That's pretty ballsy. Damn that would be sweet. I hope you are right.

IF these guys have any heart or pride. And IF someone steps up as a fiery sort of motivational "leader" (Rush, Chalmers, Jackson?)....THEN I might be able to believe.

IF they all come back next year, ANYTHING short of a Final Four Appearance would have to be a big disappointment. They'd have to be one of 3-4 teams "favored" to win it all.

Here's to hoping you are right, bro. :toast:

morphius
03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't know, I didn't think that the UCLA D hurt Kansas as much as KU's missed shots did. By the time UCLA's D started actually having an effect on the game, KU was pressing and try too hard to make up from all the easy misses they had. UCLA won because they were able to actually shoot a basketball.

teedubya
03-24-2007, 11:25 PM
I kinda feel like a Cubs fan must feel like.

morphius
03-24-2007, 11:26 PM
I kinda feel like a Cubs fan must feel like.
Or a Chiefs fan...

Logical
03-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Or a Chiefs fan...The Chiefs would have lost the first March madness game, give the Jayhawks credit they got themselves to the elite 8, no small accomplishment.

StcChief
03-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Congrats to UCLA..... continuing to expose KU.

Mr. Kotter
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
Congrats to UCLA..... continuing to expose KU.
Come on, man. Give it a rest....:banghead:

Seriously, though; how's SIU look for next year? Do they have the core back; or are they rebuilding? :hmmm:

RealSNR
03-24-2007, 11:48 PM
It's okay. I'm taking solace in the knowledge that KU will still be connected to the mainland United States in another 100 years.

Reaper16
03-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Here's a sappy thought: KU and MU fans can join together in hatred of UCLA.

wazu
03-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Any team even loosely connected to Kansas City is doomed. Why, oh why, do I never learn?

PHOG
03-25-2007, 12:27 AM
sssssssssssss

Logical
03-25-2007, 12:29 AM
It's okay. I'm taking solace in the knowledge that KU will still be connected to the mainland United States in another 100 years.ROFL

You know we have won when the old earthquake silliness is thrown out there.

PHOG
03-25-2007, 12:31 AM
It's okay. I'm taking solace in the knowledge that KU will still be connected to the mainland United States in another 100 years.

Eh, maybe we'll get a final 4, oh wait, their building a Sprint Center that holds "HOW MANY?"..

Reaper16
03-25-2007, 12:32 AM
ROFL

You know we have won when the old earthquake silliness is thrown out there.
To heck w/ earthquakes, it's Global Warming, bitches! Those sea levels be riiiiiiiisin'.

Logical
03-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Eh, maybe we'll get a final 4, oh wait, their building a Sprint Center that holds "HOW MANY?"..Yeah that suprised me too, why spend all that money on an arena and not give it a capacity that would allow for a final four there?

gblowfish
03-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I've finally stopped laughing long enough to compose myself and gather my thoughts here on one of my absolute favorite days of the year. I'm talking about the un-official first real day of spring, where the morning Missouri air is fresh and moist with the faint aromas of crocodile tears and roasted chicken, drifting in on a western breeze. It happens around this time every year like clockwork.

First, let me say this so there is no mistake.

I'm glad Kansas lost.
I never root for Kansas to win, ever.
I do not feel sorry for Kansas fans.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the angst of losing to UCLA. Norm Stewart got "Tyus Edney'd" out of the final four, but at least he took that team them to the wire, and UCLA eventually won it all. I feel your pain, really I do.

And not all Kansas fans are elitist crimson and blue kool-aid drinking hoops snobs. Most are knowledgeable, friendly and reasonable fans. But a significant vocal minority are indoctrinated to the level of Branch Davidians, if you catch my drift.

All this year in basketball thread after basketball thread on the CP, it went like this:

Preseason:
"Kansas should be ranked #1 in the pre-season polls. No question we have the best athletes. It's our best team ever. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Pre-Big 12 Season:
"OK, so we lost to Oral Roberts at home. But they have a prayer tower, which may be an NCAA rules violation. But we did rebound and beat the defending National Champion Florida on a neutral floor, so that means we're the best team in America. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

End of Big 12 Season and Tourney: We won everything in conference. We should be the number-one seed in the country because obviously we're the best team in America. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Then the big dance starts. Jayhawks get the number one seed, then bitch about being placed in the West. You play the weakest team in the tourney in the first round. You barely squeak by a team in the second round who's coach bolts before the bus engine has cooled. Then you take on SIU and manage to squeak by them, -some would say because you had them 8 on 5 - but a win is a win. Yes, that Missouri Valley is a real bugger, no wonder you avoid Wichita State at all costs. "Thank God we're Kansas, We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Then you play a commuter school who happens to play in a good conference, happens to have similar size, speed and skill, and what happens? They take you out by 13. What does all this mean really?

It means the Jayhawks are the first No. 1 seed to be eliminated from this year's tournament.

It means UCLA has never lost to Kansas in five NCAA tournament meetings, and the Bruins are 17-3 in regional finals. UCLA also has back-to-back 30-win seasons for the first time since 1972-73, when two of John Wooden's 10 championship-winning teams each went 30-0. Bill Self is 0-4 in Elite 8 games.

So, for those of you Jayhawks who always cry "scoreboard..." well, SCOREBOARD!

Let's look at some comments before, during and after the game from the KU-UCLA thread. I'll not include the names, you can look those up yourself if you choose:

Before Game: "Rock Chalk baby. Kansas by 16. "
Before Game: "Kansas by 22."
During Game: "If UCLA tries to play at the Kansas pace they're gonna lose......you'd think they'd be a little smarter than that."
During Game: "We HAVE to take care of the ball...we should be up by 7"
During Game: "KU has dominanted...and is behind."
During Game: "KU won't let these chumps beat them."
After Game: "I think the NCAA should re-seed when they get to the final four. I don't understand why they have to from the outset say the West plays the Midwest etc. Why do they have to make that decision from the outset? If they re-seeded when they got to the final four you'd have a better shot of getting the best two teams in the finale. Our league stinks. If we can't win that with all the McDonalds All Americans we have there's something wrong. "
After Game: "UCLA made so many lucky bullshit shots this game."
After Game: "This just makes me sick when the **** is KU ever going to play to their mother ****ing potential?"
After Game: And to all of you people that said this wouldn't be a home game for UCLA: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This was totally a home game for them." (Ed note: San Jose is 350 miles from Los Angeles, not exactly a quick commute).

And my favorite After Game:
"We'll see if KU is the preseason #1 going into next year."

In other words, Pre-season 2008:
"Thank God we're Kansas, We undoubtedly have all the best athletes. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

So Kansas Fans, you had a good run. Making the eight is great. Congratulations, next year the North should be fun with K-State and Mizzou re-building.

One last thing: To Lzen, who called me out publicly on the CP three weeks ago here:

http://tinyurl.com/2gdxne

A big ole **** you right back atcha.
It's kind of like Groundhog Day, ain't it?

Can't wait for football season!

teedubya
03-25-2007, 01:54 AM
I'm glad Mizzou has never sniffed NCAA tourney success. That in itself brings me happiness.

supercoupe91
03-25-2007, 03:01 AM
blowfish,

you are an idiot. a handful of those comments were mine. every other game this year i came on before the game and said ku is a joke, etc. I was getting desperate so i changed it up. Hence..."Rock Chalk baby, Kansas by 16"...and "Ku by 27"...etc.

SPchief
03-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Well, I've finally stopped laughing long enough to compose myself and gather my thoughts here on one of my absolute favorite days of the year. I'm talking about the un-official first real day of spring, where the morning Missouri air is fresh and moist with the faint aromas of crocodile tears and roasted chicken, drifting in on a western breeze. It happens around this time every year like clockwork.

I'm glad Kansas lost.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the angst of losing to UCLA. Norm Stewart got "Tyus Edney'd" out of the final four, but at least he took that team them to the wire, and UCLA eventually won it all. I feel your pain, really I do.

And not all Kansas fans are elitist crimson and blue kool-aid drinking hoops snobs. Most are knowledgeable, friendly and reasonable fans. But a significant vocal minority are indoctrinated to the level of Branch Davidians, if you catch my drift.

All this year in basketball thread after basketball thread on the CP, it went like this:

Preseason:
"Kansas should be ranked #1 in the pre-season polls. No question we have the best athletes. It's our best team ever. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Pre-Big 12 Season:
"OK, so we lost to Oral Roberts at home. But they have a prayer tower, which may be an NCAA rules violation. But we did rebound and beat the defending National Champion Florida on a neutral floor, so that means we're the best team in America. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

End of Big 12 Season and Tourney: We won everything in conference. We should be the number-one seed in the country because obviously we're the best team in America. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Then the big dance starts. Jayhawks get the number one seed, then bitch about being placed in the West. You play the weakest team in the tourney in the first round. You barely squeak by a team in the second round who's coach bolts before the bus engine has cooled. Then you take on SIU and manage to squeak by them, -some would say because you had them 8 on 5 - but a win is a win. Yes, that Missouri Valley is a real bugger, no wonder you avoid Wichita State at all costs. "Thank God we're Kansas, We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

Then you play a commuter school who happens to play in a good conference, happens to have similar size, speed and skill, and what happens? They take you out by 13. What does all this mean really?

It means the Jayhawks are the first No. 1 seed to be eliminated from this year's tournament.

It means UCLA has never lost to Kansas in five NCAA tournament meetings, and the Bruins are 17-3 in regional finals. UCLA also has back-to-back 30-win seasons for the first time since 1972-73, when two of John Wooden's 10 championship-winning teams each went 30-0. Bill Self is 0-4 in Elite 8 games.

Let's look at some comments before, during and after the game from the KU-UCLA thread. I'll not include the names, you can look those up yourself if you choose:

During Game: "If UCLA tries to play at the Kansas pace they're gonna lose......you'd think they'd be a little smarter than that."
After Game: "I think the NCAA should re-seed when they get to the final four. I don't understand why they have to from the outset say the West plays the Midwest etc. Why do they have to make that decision from the outset? If they re-seeded when they got to the final four you'd have a better shot of getting the best two teams in the finale. Our league stinks. If we can't win that with all the McDonalds All Americans we have there's something wrong. "
After Game: "This just makes me sick when the **** is KU ever going to play to their mother ****ing potential?"
After Game: And to all of you people that said this wouldn't be a home game for UCLA: HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This was totally a home game for them." (Ed note: San Jose is 350 miles from Los Angeles, not exactly a quick commute).

"Thank God we're Kansas, We undoubtedly have all the best athletes. We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

So Kansas Fans, you had a good run. Making the eight is great. Congratulations, next year the North should be fun with K-State and Mizzou re-building.

One last thing: To Lzen, who called me out publicly on the CP three weeks ago here:

Awesome!! :clap:

SPchief
03-25-2007, 03:26 AM
I'm glad Mizzou has never sniffed NCAA tourney success. That in itself brings me happiness.

:deevee:

Pants
03-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Defense? ROFL.

When a team misses 17 layups/dunks, it wasn't because they faced a good defense. The fact that we got to the hoop means your defense got beat like a red-headed stepchild, the fact that we missed 17 of those means KU didn't deserve to be on the field today. I don't know WTF was going through their heads and I can't even blame Bill Self for this loss because it's not his fault the players couldn't score ****ing layups.

Good game though, good luck to UCLA, you guys were a worthy opponent. And to use an old cliche - if KU played UCLA 10 times, I don't think we would lose 5 games. UCLA players showed up, KU players sucked ass. You guys deservingly move on, we go home losers.

Pants
03-25-2007, 05:08 AM

I'm glad Kansas lost.

Preseason:

Pre-Big 12 Season:

Blah, blah, blah... barley squeek by UK? Are you retarded? We had our way with UK, we absolutely demolished them. Had you actually watched the game, you would know this.

Also, it's really flattering seeing you and other Mizzou fans come out of your shitty woodwork whenever KU loses. I guess it means a lot to you. Did you cry when we didn't get knocked out in the first round of the tournament?

At least I've had the awesome experience of rooting for my team in the tourney. but hey, maybe you guys will actually go to the NIT next year.

Braincase
03-25-2007, 05:46 AM
Blah, blah, blah... barley squeek by UK? Are you retarded? We had our way with UK, we absolutely demolished them. Had you actually watched the game, you would know this.

Also, it's really flattering seeing you and other Mizzou fans come out of your shitty woodwork whenever KU loses. I guess it means a lot to you. Did you cry when we didn't get knocked out in the first round of the tournament?

At least I've had the awesome experience of rooting for my team in the tourney. but hey, maybe you guys will actually go to the NIT next year.

All they've got is their hate. It keeps them warm at night. SOmeday, they hope to replace it with game, but until then...

Bugeater
03-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah that suprised me too, why spend all that money on an arena and not give it a capacity that would allow for a final four there?
The capacity of the arena doesn't matter, Final Fours are only held in football-type domes.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2007, 08:59 AM
you and your home field advantage can blow me.

ROYC75
03-25-2007, 09:01 AM

I'm glad Kansas lost.

Preseason:

Pre-Big 12 Season:

:deevee: A crying dickhead ? Go figure ? ROFL

Saulbadguy
03-25-2007, 09:02 AM
you and your home field advantage can blow me.
When were basketball games played on fields?

ArrowheadHawk
03-25-2007, 09:44 AM
back in the early days

Mr. Laz
03-25-2007, 09:54 AM
oh ... you got me! ROFL

Ha,Ha,Ha

Ho,Ho,Ho

Hee,He...... :spock:

Saulbadguy
03-25-2007, 09:55 AM
Who declares for the draft? Brandon Rush? Julian Wright?

Who transfers? Darrel Arthur?

Stay tuned!

Mr. Laz
03-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Who declares for the draft? Brandon Rush? Julian Wright?

Who transfers? Darrel Arthur?

Stay tuned!
none of them played well enough to be NBA ready

arthur got more playing time than he deserved

Rush doesn't handle the ball well enough

Wright doesn't shoot the ball well enough

Collins went belly-up after his good start

Saulbadguy
03-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I think Brandon can go. He is a great defender and a great shooter. Alot of the draft sites have him projected as a late first rounder.

DJJasonp
03-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I think Brandon can go. He is a great defender and a great shooter. Alot of the draft sites have him projected as a late first rounder.

and end up just like Kareem? A career bench-warmer?

He's got a ways to go...(work on his dribbling/driving to the bucket).

If Wright works on bulking up and works on his shot...he could be another Drew Gooden-type in the NBA.

No one else is close to being ready.

All of our guys need to get mentally tougher....and that comes with experience....next year, they're a year older...and hopefully tougher/wiser.

Mr. Laz
03-25-2007, 10:05 AM
and i agree ......

but imo you don't go if you are projected as a late 1st rounder because it's too easy to slip into the 2nd round where the contracts are no longer guaranteed.

Nah, you need to be a projected lottery pick/upper 1st rounder before you go early.

Rush is gonna play the 3 ...... he needs to be able to handle the ball and create his own shots.

Bearcat
03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm talking about the un-official first real day of spring, where the morning Missouri air is fresh and moist with the faint aromas of crocodile tears and roasted chicken, drifting in on a western breeze. It happens around this time every year like clockwork.

We should just be given a spot in the Final Four right now. We're that good."

I'm glad the best sports days of my year are days where my team wins big games, or even just the excitement of playing the best teams in the country. I've said it a few times here... every team has stupid fans, and the more wins you have, the more asshole/stupid fans are attracted to your team. That said, the average Missouri fan surprisingly isn't a saint and scholar, but I digress.

Your 18 paragraphs that said the same "we're that good" over and over is the same stuff fans of good teams say across the nation. There were probably 10 teams in the preseason who thought they were the best team in the country, and that's what is fun about it. I'm glad my team is part of that discussion every year, even if some of it goes a little overboard.

It means the Jayhawks were rattled against a team that was in the NC game last year, in their own backyard. It means I got to watch my team play one of the most exciting nonconference games of the year, as well as in some of the great conference games of the year, as well the Big 12 tournament and win a few games in the Dance. They basically lost to another #1 seed, and once the emotion wears off, only the overboard fans and anti-hawks would think that it means they didn't meet expectations.

L.A. Chieffan
03-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Good game jayhawk fans, you guys had a very good team this year. But like I said in the other thread, the Bruins are the team of destiny this year.
2 Final 4 apperances in a row, Howland's got this team where it needs to be to bring home

#12!

Halfcan
03-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Right at the beginning of the game- UCLA was turning the ball over like crazy but KU was not getting any points off it. My Dad said "Yep that is gonna cost us." He was right. KU seemed awestruck by them or something.

morphius
03-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Right at the beginning of the game- UCLA was turning the ball over like crazy but KU was not getting any points off it. My Dad said "Yep that is gonna cost us." He was right. KU seemed awestruck by them or something.

It was the entire first half. It wasn't awestruck, if that was the case they wouldn't have been so strong on D. It was just lousy shooting, they had a ton of shots in the paint that were not tipped that didn't fall. You miss enough shots and then you start to press and it can get even worse. It was painful to watch a team dominate like that and still be down by 5 at halftime.

supercoupe91
03-25-2007, 01:59 PM
You KU fans are unbelievable. You never beat, you always beat yourselves. You always "dominate games", except on the scoreboard. Kansas recruits five star players but they never have the heart of a champion. The only ones who did were the Walters/Jordan team and the 2003 team. Every other year you didnt have that forgotten ingredient.

CoMoChief
03-25-2007, 02:05 PM
You KU fans are unbelievable. You never beat, you always beat yourselves. You always "dominate games", except on the scoreboard. Kansas recruits five star players but they never have the heart of a champion. The only ones who did were the Walters/Jordan team and the 2003 team. Every other year you didnt have that forgotten ingredient.

You never fail to be the biggest idiot on this board.

WilliamTheIrish
03-25-2007, 02:09 PM
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the angst of losing to UCLA. Norm Stewart got "Tyus Edney'd" out of the final four, but at least he took that team them to the wire, and UCLA eventually won it all. I feel your pain, really I do....!

George, Missouri did not get Tyus Edney'd out of the Final Four.

Although the legend of the shot has grown exponentially in just 12 years, the fact is this:

Tyus Edney went 94 feet in 4.8 seconds for a game winning layup in the 95 NCAA tourney against Missouri. However, it was a SECOND ROUND game. A game that would determine who would go on to the SWEET 16.

That is all.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-25-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm proud of my Jayhawks for a great seaon. Too bad they couldn't hit a layup to save thier lives last night but those are the breaks. Looking forward to next year.

Congrats to UCLA. They're a great team. Congrats Jim. Enjoy the run.

Pants
03-25-2007, 06:45 PM
It was the entire first half. It wasn't awestruck, if that was the case they wouldn't have been so strong on D. It was just lousy shooting, they had a ton of shots in the paint that were not tipped that didn't fall. You miss enough shots and then you start to press and it can get even worse. It was painful to watch a team dominate like that and still be down by 5 at halftime.

Yeah, I 100% agree.

Saulbadguy
03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h137/KingslyZissou/bs2.gif

Reerun_KC
03-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Hell Yeah I would blame the big 12....

Thank you Texas and Texas A&M for having something worth competing with...

The rest of the Big 12 lacks something to be desired..

Saulbadguy
03-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Hell Yeah I would blame the big 12....

Thank you Texas and Texas A&M for having something worth competing with...

The rest of the Big 12 lacks something to be desired..
Texas and Texas A&M didn't fair very well either. Big XII was RPI #7, why anyone would pick any of those teams to go very far is beyond me.

Reerun_KC
03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Texas and Texas A&M didn't fair very well either. Big XII was RPI #7, why anyone would pick any of those teams to go very far is beyond me.

It was a joke...