PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in DSM and want to watch the Royals on TV: am I just screwed?

alnorth
03-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, I live in Big 10 and Chicago Cubs hell here in Iowania. No one cares about the Royals, but apparently the entire freakin state is part of the Royals territory for blackout purposes, so it appears that baseball satellite packages and mlb.tv are not options unless I'm missing something. Apparently if I lived near KC or if I lived way the hell out on the east/west coasts I wouldnt have a problem, but Iowa is a designated no-Royal zone.

Is there anyway around this to watch games this year from my area, or am I screwed?

milkman
03-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I thought the blackout area was only a 75 mile radius from the game site.

alnorth
03-25-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought the blackout area was only a 75 mile radius from the game site.

Nope, it doesnt work like the NFL. Here's the national blackout map: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2006/06/ipt/1150742098.jpg

The state of Iowa is the most blacked-out state in the country, and is baseball's bermuda triangle: any time a baseball game is broadcast into the state, its got a good chance of disappearing. (Especially if its an AL Central or NL Central game)

I am blacked out from Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, KC, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Milwaukee. I would also be blacked out of any team that plays one of those 6 teams.

I know the theory of the blackout is to encourage people to buy tickets or force the cable companies to carry the games, but come on. NO ONE in Des Moines cares about the Royals. I get the games on radio from a little Christian AM station that relies heavily on donations to stay on the air. I will go to 1 or 2 games a month, but thats only because I am a demented freak, because its a solid 4 hour drive one-way. Its not like I could hop in the car after work and buy a cheap Hy-Vee seat on a whim here.

Does anyone know of a way to defeat the mlb.tv blackout? I've read that IP spoofing worked a couple years ago, but now some people claim that MLB has started checking the zip codes on your credit card.

alanm
03-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Nope, it doesnt work like the NFL. Here's the national blackout map: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/tools/med/2006/06/ipt/1150742098.jpg

The state of Iowa is the most blacked-out state in the country, and is baseball's bermuda triangle: any time a baseball game is broadcast into the state, its got a good chance of disappearing. (Especially if its an AL Central or NL Central game)

I am blacked out from Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, KC, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Milwaukee. I would al;so be blacked out of any team that plays one of those 6 teams.

I know the theory of the blackout is to encourage people to buy tickets or force the cable companies to carry the games, but come on. NO ONE in Des Moines cares about the Royals. I get the games on radio from a little Christian AM station that relies heavily on donations to stay on the air. I will go to 1 or 2 games a month, but thats only because I am a demented freak, because its a solid 4 hour drive one-way. Its not like I could hope in the car after work and buy a cheap Hy-Vee seat on a whim here.

Does anyone know of a way to defeat the mlb.tv blackout? I've read that IP spoofing worked a couple years ago, but now some people claim that MLB has started checking the zip codes on your credit card.
Is there a key code for that chart? I can figure out what the colors stand for. :shrug:

alnorth
03-25-2007, 12:28 PM
Is there a key code for that chart? I can figure out what the colors stand for. :shrug:

Look at the 3-letter abbreviations. STL = St Louis, KCR = KC Royals, etc. The colors only show that the teams in the blackout change when you cross the border.

alanm
03-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Look at the 3-letter abbreviations. STL = St Louis, KCR = KC Royals, etc. The colors only show that the teams in the blackout change when you cross the border.
So where I live in Western Ne. It shows the Rockies and Royals listed. I assume that to mean that the Royals and Rockies are blacked out. Which would also explain why I can't get the Royals on RSTN on Direct TV. We get the Rockies anyway on FSRM but I couldn't figure out why RSTN was always blacked out. The MLB backout rules are even more f*cked up than the NFL. :banghead: :cuss: