PDA

View Full Version : Compensation Picks are in...

Coogs
03-27-2007, 01:32 PM
We didn't get one. I thought someone posted a huge post on how we were supposed to have one. Oh well. The rich get richer....

March 27
(6:00 AM): The comps are in… Here is the list of compensatory draft choices awarded by the NFL (round-overall selection): 3-96 San Diego; 3-97 San Francisco; 3-98 Indianapolis; 3-99 Oakland; 4-132 Pittsburgh; 4-133 Atlanta; 4-134 Baltimore; 4-135 San Francisco; 4-136 Indianapolis; 4-137 Baltimore; 5-170 Pittsburgh; 5-171 New England; 5-172 San Diego; 5-173 Indianapolis; 5-174 Baltimore; 6-207 Baltimore; 6-208 New England; 6-209 New England; 6-210 Seattle; 7-243 Green Bay; 7-244 Atlanta; 7-245 Tampa Bay; 7-246 Tampa Bay; 7-247 New England; 7-248 St. Louis; 7-249 St. Louis; 7-250 New York Giants; 7-251 Jacksonville; 7-252 Jacksonville; 7-253 Cincinnati; 7-254 Oakland; 7-255 Detroit.

Sorry if a repost!

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Damnit Carl! :cuss:

Hootie
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
I bet we'll get one next year for Mitchell...

Crush
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
:cuss:

Spicy McHaggis
03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I bet we'll get one next year for Mitchell...

I wouldn't be suprised if we don't. The Chiefs signed a replacement who is at least equal to Mitchell and Mitchell's contract seems to be miniscule.

Hootie
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if we don't. The Chiefs signed a replacement who is at least equal to Mitchell and Mitchell's contract seems to be miniscule.
Gay.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Damnit Carl! :cuss:
it's true in this circumstance

the way he handles the club means we don't accumulate drafts picks ... we don't get compensation picks.

dat za' da wa he rollz

CupidStunt
03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Tear up the tickets.

Scaga
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
:cuss: :banghead:
Dammit....
Miami sucks as bad as we do...
They didn't get a pick either to trade to us for Trent. :banghead:

Splat420
03-27-2007, 02:23 PM
The Colts get a 3rd,4th and 5th weak.

ct
03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
it's true in this circumstance

the way he handles the club means we don't accumulate drafts picks ... we don't get compensation picks.

dat za' da wa he rollz

Too true! If we had let Kawika and Jordan Black walk, and filled in with home grown prospects, then we'd have reason to expect a Day2 comp pick (or 2 perhaps). But when you backfill with other FAs, you get squat.

CupidStunt
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
:cuss: :banghead:
Dammit....
Miami sucks as bad as we do...
They didn't get a pick either to trade to us for Trent. :banghead:

Not possible anyway.

shaneo69
03-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I guess T-Rich wasn't worth a 7th rounder.

Signing R. Edwards and Reed probably overrode it.

ct
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM

and Ty Law the Great!

Frankie
03-27-2007, 03:37 PM
WHA?!!!!... :eek: ... Denver doesn't get one?! :eek:

Uncle_Ted
03-27-2007, 05:30 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I think comp picks are only awarded for players that your team selected in the draft, and the level of the comp pick corresponds to the round of the draft where the player was selected based on some formula (since the highest a comp pick can be awarded is at end of the 3rd round).

Uncle_Ted
03-27-2007, 05:34 PM
Don't quote me on this, but I think comp picks are only awarded for players that your team selected in the draft, and the level of the comp pick corresponds to the round of the draft where the player was selected based on some formula (since the highest a comp pick can be awarded is at end of the 3rd round).

Ok, that was wrong ... here's a better (and correct!) explanation of the process:

In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

el borracho
03-27-2007, 07:50 PM
Typical.

San Diego with the most talent in our division gets a third and a fifth- Chiefs get nothing.

Valiant
03-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Who did they lose that was worth a 3rd???

Prolly get another 3rd next year for losing Edwards...

meStevo
03-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Who did they lose that was worth a 3rd???

A quarterback who started 16 games, threw for 4400 yards and started in Pro Bowl perhaps?

I hope they get a 3rd for Edwards, that means he kicked ass for us.

BWillie
03-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know how these compensation picks work, but why couldn't they of gave Denver a couple? I mean they had two guys that bit it over the offseason. They should get at least a little help

Amnorix
03-27-2007, 08:54 PM
I'll be honest, I don't know how these compensation picks work, but why couldn't they of gave Denver a couple? I mean they had two guys that bit it over the offseason. They should get at least a little help

That's not what the comp picks are about.

They are strictly in reaction to what happened during the PRIOR year's offseason of free agent movement.

Cut a player (i.e. Corey Dillon) and he could resign with another team, go to the Pro Bowl, and the Pats would get zip because they cut him.

Lose a player to FA who is a QB who goes to the Pro Bowl (i.e. Drew Brees) and you get a 3rd.

The compensation picks, however, are a BALANCING of what you lost versus what you got. If the Chargers had picked up LT as a free agent and he did what he did, then that would offset losing Brees, and they wouldn't get that 3rd.

The picks are NOT tradeable, and they are at the bottom of the round.

Whatever the formula is for determining what you get, I don't know it. Some do, as I've seen VERY accurate predictions of what the Pats would get prior to them being announced, which are usually spot on.

RealSNR
03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
WHA?!!!!... :eek: ... Denver doesn't get one?! :eek:Pat Bowlen's plane was stuck in the Denver airport because of snow and he missed his blowjob appointment with the commissioner

dj56dt58
03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
So I take it if a player (Roaf?) retires, you don't get shit?

Phobia
03-28-2007, 07:58 AM
So I take it if a player (Roaf?) retires, you don't get shit?

Correct.

ct
03-28-2007, 08:52 AM
That's not what the comp picks are about.

They are strictly in reaction to what happened during the PRIOR year's offseason of free agent movement.

Cut a player (i.e. Corey Dillon) and he could resign with another team, go to the Pro Bowl, and the Pats would get zip because they cut him.

Lose a player to FA who is a QB who goes to the Pro Bowl (i.e. Drew Brees) and you get a 3rd.

The compensation picks, however, are a BALANCING of what you lost versus what you got. If the Chargers had picked up LT as a free agent and he did what he did, then that would offset losing Brees, and they wouldn't get that 3rd.

The picks are NOT tradeable, and they are at the bottom of the round.

Whatever the formula is for determining what you get, I don't know it. Some do, as I've seen VERY accurate predictions of what the Pats would get prior to them being announced, which are usually spot on.

This is why KC typically does not get much out of comp picks.

1) We suck at the draft, generally speaking. This creates a thin roster, and that's being generous. Our depth guys are not usually the type that other teams want to outbid us for in FA. Hence, we don't have many 'qualitying' FA lost.

2) Those good/great players we do have, we typically keep them. Those that we let go, even starters such as Mitchell and Black, are not high caliber players. When we let them go, as in the case of these two guys, they are not highly qualifying lost FAs.

3) Our roster is alwasy needing a hole (or 10) to fill every offseason (See #1). Every year there are 2 or 3 or more FAs we sign to fill holes in our overall roster, cause there is no worthy young guy to step into this role, e.g. Key Fox, Scanlon/Grigsby, Svitek, etc. are not good enough to fill the holes left by Mitchell/Black. So we sign Edwards, Harris, McIntosh to do the job that should be filled by a young draftee, who has developed into a starting caliber player. This effectively wipes out our lost FAs, so the net effect is nil, and we get no compensatory picks.

Think about how many high quality FA we've let go in the last 10 years. And as Amnorix illustrates, it's typically the salary that is used to judge the player quality.

Donnie Edwards
John Tait
Joe Horn (probably not that big a salary at 1st with New Orleans)
Reggie Tongue
Dale Carter
Neil Smith
Um....

How many of those guys do you think we should have kept, just out of curiousity?

Chief Pote
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Someone overheard Carl say "who cares?....the NFL draft is highly overrated anyway".

Valiant
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
A quarterback who started 16 games, threw for 4400 yards and started in Pro Bowl perhaps?

I hope they get a 3rd for Edwards, that means he kicked ass for us.

Ahh I forget all about him...Maybe its just Lt can make anyone look great at San Diego...