PDA

View Full Version : (Rumor) Sanders might go to Baltimore for Young Pitcher

carlos3652
03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/27/AR2007032702163.html

The Orioles are considering a deal for Kansas City Royals outfielder Reggie Sanders, according to a team source. The Royals, according to the source, have offered to pay a significant amount of Sanders' $5 million salary this year, but the Orioles don't feel they can promise Sanders, 39, who hit .246 with 11 home runs last year, enough playing time after Payton's return. The Royals have asked for pitchers Kurt Birkins or Brian Burres in return for Sanders.

kc rush
03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Anything in return would be great, plus it would be one less person in an already crowded outfield.

This would also be the first time (that I'm aware of) that the Glass family has been willing to eat salary. If they are willing to do that for Sanders, they may be willing to do that for Sweeney if a good trade comes along.

Eleazar
03-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Anything in return would be great, plus it would be one less person in an already crowded outfield.

This would also be the first time (that I'm aware of) that the Glass family has been willing to eat salary. If they are willing to do that for Sanders, they may be willing to do that for Sweeney if a good trade comes along.

Sanders is not going to bring much. Neither is Sweeney.

Eating 1 or 2 million of Sanders' money is not like eating 5 million of Sweeneys or whatever.

I think Sanders may or may not be dealt for a low prospect, but Sweeney will finish out the year here, maybe even resign after this year at a reasonable salary.

carlos3652
03-28-2007, 03:54 PM
They didnt release him today by the 1pm deadline, so his contract for this year is guaranteed... which means that he will be traded, if they would have dropped him, Baltimore would have scopped him up anyway... hopefully we get something young... and it looks like they are asking for one of the highest pitching prospects they have in return...

Marlboro_Chief
03-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Adam Loewen or no deal.

Archie Bunker
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
:clap:

kc rush
03-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Sanders is not going to bring much. Neither is Sweeney.

Eating 1 or 2 million of Sanders' money is not like eating 5 million of Sweeneys or whatever.

I think Sanders may or may not be dealt for a low prospect, but Sweeney will finish out the year here, maybe even resign after this year at a reasonable salary.

I don't expect much in trade for either other than to get them off the books and open the way for a young player.

If Sweeney plays well, there will be someone willing to trade for his bat. We won't get the world for him, but will be better than nothing. The better he plays the less the team needs to eat and the better the prospect.

carlos3652
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Another interesting tidbit from Baltimore today, (washington post)

It seems the Orioles will carry 13 pitchers unless someone on the staff is traded, with Todd Williams being the most likely candidate. Baltimore is stuck with two players, Williams and Jeremy Guthrie, whom they can't send to the minors without exposing to waivers. Either player is likely to be claimed if sent down. The Orioles have talked to the New York Mets about Williams, but nothing is imminent. Instead the Orioles will continue to wait to make a decision.

I think the Royals should pick them up if sent down... Also, the article states that they are still thinking about getting Reggie (nothing new, just verifying that there is a standing offer)

chefsos
03-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Another interesting tidbit from Baltimore today, (washington post)

It seems the Orioles will carry 13 pitchers unless someone on the staff is traded, with Todd Williams being the most likely candidate. Baltimore is stuck with two players, Williams and Jeremy Guthrie, whom they can't send to the minors without exposing to waivers. Either player is likely to be claimed if sent down. The Orioles have talked to the New York Mets about Williams, but nothing is imminent. Instead the Orioles will continue to wait to make a decision.

I think the Royals should pick them up if sent down... Also, the article states that they are still thinking about getting Reggie (nothing new, just verifying that there is a standing offer)
This guy (http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847899&postcount=95) thnks the "standing offer" is baloney. The consensus among knowledgeable O's fans (and I don't consider myself to be among the "knowledgeable") is NO to Sanders. But then, there's this (http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847227&postcount=83) , so maybe Reggie's due for a big year.

Sure-Oz
03-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Adam Loewen or no deal.
i wish, we'd rip them off.

The guys their talkin about us getting are Mike Wood wanna be's it seems.

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 09:34 AM
This guy (http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847899&postcount=95) thnks the "standing offer" is baloney. The consensus among knowledgeable O's fans (and I don't consider myself to be among the "knowledgeable") is NO to Sanders. But then, there's this (http://www.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=847227&postcount=83) , so maybe Reggie's due for a big year.

Those are just people on message boards. I'd be a lot more inclined to trust the guy from the washington post.

Sure-Oz
03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16994291.htm

Posted on Thu, Mar. 29, 2007
Royals’ roster virtually set after Gathright sent down to Omaha
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
SURPRISE, Ariz. | The Royals’ 25-man roster is all but set after Thursday’s decision to option outfielder Joey Gathright to Class AAA Omaha.

The move leaves the club with 29 players in big-league camp, but four pitchers — John Bale, Scott Elarton, Luke Hudson and Leo Nuñez — are each expected to open the season on the 15-day disabled list.

Clubs typically wait until the roster deadline, which is 3 p.m. Sunday, to make their disabled-list moves official to guard against further injuries. Players sent to the minors can’t be recalled for 10 days unless a DL injury creates a roster opening.

The Royals spent much of the spring seeking to trade veteran outfielder Reggie Sanders in an effort to create a roster space for Gathright. Talks this week with Baltimore appeared sufficiently promising to keep Gathright in camp, but Thursday’s roster move suggests a deal is unlikely.

Gathright, 25, batted .370 this spring in 21 games after batting .262 last season in 79 games after arriving in a June 20 trade from Tampa Bay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The roster

Rotation (5): Jorge De La Rosa, Brandon Duckworth, Zack Greinke, Gil Meche, and Odalis Perez

Bullpen (7): Ryan Braun, Octavio Dotel, Jimmy Gobble, Joel Peralta, David Riske, Joakim Soria and Todd Wellemeyer

Catcher (2): John Buck and Jason LaRue

Infield (6): Esteban German, Alex Gordon, Mark Grudzielanek, Tony Peña Jr., Ryan Shealy and Mike Sweeney

Outfield (5): Emil Brown, David DeJesus, Ross Gload, Reggie Sanders and Mark Teahen

15-day disabled list (4): John Bale, Scott Elarton, Luke Hudson and Leo Nuñez

60-day disabled list (2): Joe Nelson and Angel Sanchez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Bob Dutton, Royals reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4352 or send e-mail to bdutton@kcstar.com

carlos3652
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
You beat me to it, I thought it merited its own thread... my bad

Sure-Oz
03-29-2007, 01:12 PM
You beat me to it, I thought it merited its own thread... my bad
Shit Happens, tis all good...it just so happens that the berroa thing and sanders is in the same article ha!