PDA

View Full Version : JiffyLube scams caught on tape

TinyEvel
03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I just got this from someone, it's the Local News. I bet you know where this is going before you even open the link.

I would reckon the "District Manager" dude is already out of a job. What a tool (pun intended)

Subject: FW: Jiffy Lubes caught on NBC camera

Jiffy Lube? Check out the link below. View the VIDEO. Send it to

everyone you know who owns a car.

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx

Funny thing is, all of these locations are withing 10 miles of my house. The Valley has a lot of numbnuts living in it.

KcMizzou
03-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Wow.

There's some advertising for ya.

teedubya
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
that sucks.

StcChief
03-28-2007, 06:32 PM
5 out 9 . Jiffy Lube is <half honest :p

The Franchise
03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
I wish I would have seen this video before I took my car there......oh well....my new one isn't going there now.

Silock
03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
That's why I do all my own work.

Chan93lx50
03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Hmmm, no wonder why I do all my own work, I have not been to an auto mechanic for years!

There are some great auto forums on the net that can help problem solve almost any problem and show you how to fix it!

eazyb81
03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
What dirtbags, i'm never going there again.

Sad thing is that most mechanics probably do the same thing.

Silock
03-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but you and I are different.

Most people simply don't have the time to do it themselves. It takes me an hour to change my oil by the time I get it up on jackstands, get the drain pan in place, top off the other fluids...

And the rest of the people are far too intimidated by cars to do it themselves. Kinda sucks, but oh well. I feel bad for them.

gblowfish
03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
The one out in OPKS by Oak Park Mall didn't even put the fill cap back in place on mine. They left it laying on top of the fan cowling. I drove home to Independence. For some reason, I popped the hood, because I wanted to take a look. Luckily the fill plug didn't fall out of the car, but the engine blew about a half quart of oil all over the inside of the hood. Took me a long time to clean it up. Got a couple free changes out of that. Now I watch them like a hawk. Don't turn your back on them.

KCChiefsMan
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
I will never go there again. Mechanics suck!!!

Deberg_1990
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Auto Dealers and Auto Mechanics have to be about the lowest form of scum on the planet. Zero freakin integrity in this line of work.....

Dave Lane
03-28-2007, 08:13 PM
The left the oil filter loose on mine and it leaked oil all over for almost a month before I took it to Lexus to see what the matter with it was.

Dave

Chan93lx50
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, but you and I are different.

Most people simply don't have the time to do it themselves. It takes me an hour to change my oil by the time I get it up on jackstands, get the drain pan in place, top off the other fluids...

And the rest of the people are far too intimidated by cars to do it themselves. Kinda sucks, but oh well. I feel bad for them.

Yeah I suppose I makes a difference when your brother has a car hoist in his shop. Working on cars fixing them is a hobby of mine, I rebuilt my the motor in my 1997 firebird (LT1) last year with information I found on the internet I am by no means a professional mechanic just love learning how stuff works. The biggest issue about working with cars is having the right tools because no matter what project I do there is always one bolt that is impossible to get to or take off!

Chieftain58
03-28-2007, 08:23 PM
thats messed up. I'm sure it happens all the time

stlchiefs
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
WOW, I change my own oil, though with the mess and time I questioned whether it was worth it. Now I think I'll keep messing with it. Scumbags

ZepSinger
03-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I got tired of them trying to hard sell me on $400 bucks worth of services every time I went in for a simple oil change. Been doing it myself on both vehicles for years now...

Z

Sully
03-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Good Gawd I wish I knew a damn thing about cars. I'd love to do it myself... but I am under-the-hood-illiterate.

PastorMikH
03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I wish I knew a thing about cars. I'd love to do it myself... but I am under-the-hood-illiterate.

It's really not all that hard. You pop the hood, start diconnecting stuff, then start a topic on the post asking for help.

:)

88TG88
03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Funny thing is, all of these locations are withing 10 miles of my house. The Valley has a lot of numbnuts living in it.
This just strengthens my theory that the valley sucks.

trndobrd
03-28-2007, 09:59 PM
What is the deal with Jiffy Lube employees having to stand out front with signs?

Doesn't that indicate to most people that there is something not right about the place and they will be reprising the role of Bimbo #3 in "Caught from Behind 14" of they take their car in for service.

Crashride
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
"Um can you change my anti-freeze...then drink it thanks."

stlchiefs
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Good Gawd I wish I knew a damn thing about cars. I'd love to do it myself... but I am under-the-hood-illiterate.

If all else fails, just pour antifreeze in the engine, it's the cure all. If you need practice, try it on your neighbors car first.

Extra Point
03-28-2007, 10:11 PM
I have an old neighbor of mine who owns a small shop in Independence. Eurodoc is the shop name. Most honest mechanic I know. He's helped me out countless times.

I do most of my own work. Like mentioned in previous post, the thing is to have the right tools. The O-Reilly near me lets me use a lot of tools, specifically the Auto X-Ray for my domestics. I bought a Chinese scanner off eBay for $50 that specifically for VW's,and have the Ford manuals on CD that were bought for $8 ea. Cheap investments that paid off quick.

If you change your own oil, the Goodyear store will let you drain your used oil into their tank. (The JOCO environmental place at near I-35 and Lamar is a great place to take used oil, solvents, and such. They told me that you can pour used antifreeze down the drain, which I find weird, but it's legal in JOCO.)

stlchiefs
03-28-2007, 10:22 PM
When I lived in KC and had work that I needed done besides changing my oil I always went to a small garage on Wornall called Waldo Auto Safety? (in Waldo across from the Conoco). It's run by a father and son who do good work and charge 1/2 the price of a big shop. Great people to deal with.
Even in St. Louis now I will still take my car back there if I can, when I'm in KC, since I haven't found anyone trustworthy and reasonable here.

HMc
03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
this is really the forefront of investigative journalism

lightsout04
03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
I have seen that one before.

Halfcan
03-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I had a friend that worked there-half the time they don't even change the oil filter.

03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I worry about that crap whenever I have to take my vehicle in. I usually stand right by the window and watch them the entire time. Unfortunately, that is not enough.

trndobrd
03-29-2007, 12:25 AM
I worry about that crap whenever I have to take my vehicle in. I usually stand right by the window and watch them the entire time. Unfortunately, that is not enough.

I usually take my car in to Wal-mart for oil changes. It's cheap and I can get some shopping done while I wait. I always take a black sharpie with me. After I pull out of the bay, I pull to the nearest parking spot, check the fill caps for everything under the hood, then get underneath and check the drain plug, make sure the filter is on tight and put a big "X" on it. God help the store manager if I ever crawl under there and see an "X".

acesn8s
03-29-2007, 01:04 AM
I usually take my car in to Wal-mart for oil changes. It's cheap and I can get some shopping done while I wait. I always take a black sharpie with me. After I pull out of the bay, I pull to the nearest parking spot, check the fill caps for everything under the hood, then get underneath and check the drain plug, make sure the filter is on tight and put a big "X" on it. God help the store manager if I ever crawl under there and see an "X".
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159606

Post #65

03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159606

Post #65
ROFL

Kerberos
03-29-2007, 05:08 AM
This video has been out for over a year.

In fact they had a series on it and Jiffy Lube Corporate said they had retrianed thier district managers and thier service people to make sure it didn't happen again. Same TV station went back out with different vehicles and different people and got stiffed by the same Jiffy Lubes yet AGAIN.

If I could find it I would post a link to that TV stations site cause it was just FUGGING wrong that Jiffy Lube just F***s you without the the LUBE. litterally.

Edit: http://search.nbc4.tv/query.html?la=en&qt=Jiffy+Lube+series

jjjayb
03-29-2007, 05:29 AM
Auto Dealers and Auto Mechanics have to be about the lowest form of scum on the planet. Zero freakin integrity in this line of work.....

**** you too
nlm

Radar Chief
03-29-2007, 07:29 AM

If you were closer to C-Town I’d offer to help since I’m cheap labor, I work for beer :BLVD:, but by “work” I mean I’ll hand you tools, look over your shoulder and tell you when you fug up. ;)

Kerberos
03-29-2007, 07:35 AM

As I don't think ALL mechanics SUCK I think thier are some out there that will swindle every dime they can get out of every unsuspecting customer that will let them.

With that said I will NEVER take my vehicles to ANY kind of quick lube whether its Jiffy Lube, Wal-Mart Quick Lube, or alike. I do not trust any of them now because of Jiffy Lubes track record and Wal-Mart's incompetance as read on chiefs planet about bad experiences.

I trust my dealer to do services that I take my 2006 vehicle to them to do but I think I will do JUST like NBC4 and mark my oil filter next time and check it when I get it home.

I work for a school district so I take my 94 Suburban to the High School Shop and let the advanced class change oil, trans fluid, filters and brakes and soon a tune up.

The man that runs the advanced classes was on a NASCAR team 15 years ago as a mechanic so I have no problems with him overseeing my maintenance.

ROYC75
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
I use to do all my work, the way I was raised up. As I got involved in semi trucks, I started to have a local guy here that I know well do my work on both. If you know someone and can trust there work, Great !

If you use anybody anywhere, watch them. It's your vehicle and your money.

hawkchief
03-29-2007, 08:38 AM
I stopped going to Jiffy Lube years ago, after about 3 visits, when it became obvious the managers wanted to make sure they found a way to sell me $200.00 worth of service before they let me get away. It was one of the most transparent marketing schticks in recent memory for me.

gblowfish
03-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Jiffy-Lube charged my wife $15 to change a burned out tail light bulb.
I told my wife next time she has a light bulb burn out, just tell me, we'll run up to O'Reilly, spend $3 on a new bulb and pop it in. Geez!

Bowser
03-29-2007, 09:38 AM
On a related note, a few years back I bought this old beater Cavalier to use as the back and forth to work car. When it got up on the highway, it would stall past a certain speed, like 60. I took it to the Precision Tune on Antioch in the Northland, and they gave me a laundry list of stuff that I needed to have done to it, which totalled over $1,600. I said no thanks, and took it to an old mechanic friend to look at. Long story short - he replaced some sensor on the engine for $150, and the thing ran fine.

There is now a strip mall with a Quizzno's where the old Precision Tune used to be.

HemiEd
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
These places are clip joints. To me, the worst part is the lack qualified service people.
This is entry level work in the automotive repair field, and you get entry level people doing it.
Even if they do what they charge you for, it is possibly going to be screwed up.

Mr. Plow
03-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Me as well. I could change my oil, but then I'd have to pay someone to do it the right way.

Mr. Plow
03-29-2007, 10:05 AM

But even if I stand there watching, since I have no idea what they are doing, it doesn't make a difference. I had a doohickey changed last week, car is running beautifully.

Chief Pote
03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
That's why when I use those places I watch those ****ing rookies change my oil and filter.

I normally use the Honda Dealer and pay the extra price for the work.

jab0450
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
The thing about that video though, is that on jeep grand cherokees, the fuel filter is usually on the frame rail. What they marked looks more like the fuel pump. Maybe they did change the filter. :hmmm:

stlchiefs
03-29-2007, 10:23 AM
But even if I stand there watching, since I have no idea what they are doing, it doesn't make a difference. I had a doohickey changed last week, car is running beautifully.

Did you have them check the specs on your rotary girder too?

chiefforlife
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
I own an automotive repair shop and am extremely offended by some of the comments here. I am in no way defending Jiffy Lube as I spend a great deal of my time convincing customers that not all shops are like this.
Quick lube places DONT employ mechanics OR technicians! They have lube people who worked at a fast food joint yesterday. There is a HUGE difference, my techs are all ASE certified, master techs. Anyone caught overselling in my shop would be fired on the spot. In my business, reputation is extremely important.
One thing I find interesting is that someone (when you are paying the bill) would take there Lexus to Walmart for service. Then when Walmart screws it up (and they are likely paying the bill) you then take it to Lexus.
What Jiffylube did is as wrong as it gets but please dont assume everyone in the industry is this way! We are regular people with families, like everyone else. We are trying to make an HONEST living just like you.

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
That's why when I use those places I watch those ****ing rookies change my oil and filter.

I normally use the Honda Dealer and pay the extra price for the work.

Why not do it yourself instead of paying dealer prices to stand there watching someone else do it?

HemiEd
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Why not do it yourself instead of paying dealer prices to stand there watching someone else do it?

Exactly, I put the best synthetic (Mobil 1) in my car every 3000 miles, for less than one of those places would charge for the regular stuff.

Radar Chief
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
These places are clip joints. To me, the worst part is the lack qualified service people.
This is entry level work in the automotive repair field, and you get entry level people doing it.
Even if they do what they charge you for, it is possibly going to be screwed up.

Exactly. These are part-timers make’n just over minimum wage. Don’t expect to see ASE certified master mechanics there.

Iowanian
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM

Mechanics don't like guys with waitress aprons on because they know they're bad tippers.

Radar Chief
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I own an automotive repair shop and am extremely offended by some of the comments here. I am in no way defending Jiffy Lube as I spend a great deal of my time convincing customers that not all shops are like this.
Quick lube places DONT employ mechanics OR technicians! They have lube people who worked at a fast food joint yesterday. There is a HUGE difference, my techs are all ASE certified, master techs. Anyone caught overselling in my shop would be fired on the spot. In my business, reputation is extremely important.
One thing I find interesting is that someone (when you are paying the bill) would take there Lexus to Walmart for service. Then when Walmart screws it up (and they are likely paying the bill) you then take it to Lexus.
What Jiffylube did is as wrong as it gets but please dont assume everyone in the industry is this way! We are regular people with families, like everyone else. We are trying to make an HONEST living just like you.

Where you at? My wifes Jeep needs a front end alignment and I don’t trust ANY of the shops in C-Town.

Lzen
03-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I have had bad experiences with Jiffy Lube here. I will never take a vehicle to them again. Nowadays, I just change my own oil, oil filter, air filter, brakes, etc. Stuff that I can do myself. But there are some things that I can't do, such as radiator flush.

It's gotten so bad these days that you don't know who you can trust. Lucky for me, I have a cousin who was also my best bud growing up and he is a mechanic at the Nissan dealership in Lawrence. If I have to have something done that he can only do at the shop, it does suck to have to pay dealership labor. But at least I know that it will be done properly and I won't get screwed. Some things he will do at his house and I don't have to give him anything except some beer. :)

Lzen
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
The one out in OPKS by Oak Park Mall didn't even put the fill cap back in place on mine. They left it laying on top of the fan cowling. I drove home to Independence. For some reason, I popped the hood, because I wanted to take a look. Luckily the fill plug didn't fall out of the car, but the engine blew about a half quart of oil all over the inside of the hood. Took me a long time to clean it up. Got a couple free changes out of that. Now I watch them like a hawk. Don't turn your back on them.

The west Walmart in Topeka did that to my sister's car one time a few years ago. We knew something was wrong when she pulled up from driving back across town and smoke was coming out from under her hood. They are very lucky that nothing was damaged.

Iowanian
03-29-2007, 10:57 AM
The shop I uses is just a local, 2 stall run by two local guys. They'll come and pick my car/truck up from either the house or work, change the oil, vaccuum and wash the windows and return it for $30. I can change it and do sometimes, but its enough easier, especially during the winter that I just do it.

I've had them do the same thing for repairs and always have felt he was fair. A couple of weeks ago, I had break issues and they came and got it....after they were done, he shows me the broken part(spins a bad wheel bearing etc)....In this case, the back break stuck and I went back friday afternoon.....

He showed up monday morning to my house before I left work to listen to it when I backed out.

There are good mechanics out there.....I'm pretty loyal when I find one.

Hammock Parties
03-29-2007, 10:59 AM
TV reporters are dicks. I hate every one of them.

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 11:00 AM
TV reporters are dicks. I hate every one of them.

Don't generalize because that one chased you out of your wagoff spot at the library

Hammock Parties
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
Don't generalize because that one chased you out of your wagoff spot at the library

You've got quite a memory. ROFL

greg63
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
This sounding an aweful lot like TMI. :shake:

KC Kings
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM

Good for you. I hope your reputation proceeds you and brings you lots of business. I haven't had any car problems since I moved up North of the river, but I can recommend the Car-X on 350 for outstanding honest service, (the only thing questionable is the hunting/fishing stories from John), or further south on Blue Ridge by Ruskin are some Russian mechanics who are honest and don't over charge.

Lzen
03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Me as well. I could change my oil, but then I'd have to pay someone to do it the right way.

Dude, changing your oil is very easy. So easy even a caveman could do it.

greg63
03-29-2007, 11:11 AM
JiffyLube is the debil!

Lzen
03-29-2007, 11:17 AM
....But there are some things that I can't do, such as radiator flush....

I should specify a cooling system pressure flush. This is done using a machine which only a shop would own. I found a nice little shop down the street from me that did it for me and charge $50. I think that is reasonable. And they didn't try to sell me anything else. :)

Wile_E_Coyote
03-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I hate vehicle inspection time & wait till the last minute. Noticed the tires were looking thin & thought I better throw a couple new ones on. It was a Saturday & went to Wal-Mart.

A frigging Saturday & they only had one guy in the shop. The bays were full & he had to jump from one car to the next. People frustrated and complaining to the dude. Cheap ass management

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I have always taken my vehicle to a quick change place like this for the oil, until the current one. A smaller place like that will do the oil and filter, and never try to sell you anything else (not sure why, since the world is full of morons who will leave Jiffy Lube with a $300 bill). I've gone to Jiffy Lube many times and never had a problem, but I say no to all the extras.

It's fairly quick and if you go early in the morning on the weekend they have a cheap special. But I saw a lady there pay $25 to get her wiper blades changed, people pay $30 for air filters or $60 for a belt... if you're saying yes to all the extras then you and your money are probably soon parted anyway.

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 11:24 AM
I hate vehicle inspection time & wait till the last minute. Noticed the tires were looking thin & thought I better throw a couple new ones on. It was a Saturday & went to Wal-Mart.

A frigging Saturday & they only had one guy in the shop. The bays were full & he had to jump from one car to the next. People frustrated and complaining to the dude. Cheap ass management

They don't have bad deals on tires there, but I ran into the same situation, it took them about 3-4 hours to get it done.

HemiEd
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
I own an automotive repair shop and am extremely offended by some of the comments here.

That is your first mistake n00b! You should not take anything on here seriously, seriously!

HemiEd
03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
The shop I uses is just a local, 2 stall run by two local guys. They'll come and pick my car/truck up from either the house or work, change the oil, vaccuum and wash the windows and return it for $30. I can change it and do sometimes, but its enough easier, especially during the winter that I just do it.

I've had them do the same thing for repairs and always have felt he was fair. A couple of weeks ago, I had break issues and they came and got it....after they were done, he shows me the broken part(spins a bad wheel bearing etc)....In this case, the back break stuck and I went back friday afternoon.....

He showed up monday morning to my house before I left work to listen to it when I backed out.

There are good mechanics out there.....I'm pretty loyal when I find one.

Very good example of a business that depends on repeat customers and is locally owned.
I have found that in larger markets, repeat customers are not as vital, so you get more shady business practices.
I have been here in Chicagoland over 10 years now, and trust very few of the local businesses.

KC Kings
03-29-2007, 11:50 AM

I buy my tires from Good Year which come with lifetime rotation and ballance. I bring my car in with a $19.99 coupon for an oil change, get my free rotation, free ballance every other time, and 30 minutes later I drive home. It would take me 30 minutes to change the oil and rotate me tires and it cost $10 for oil and filter. It is worth the extra $10 to me, to not have to do it and worry about driveway mess or getting the spent oil back to the parts store without making a mess in my car.

Mr. Plow
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM

But is it so easy a therapist could do it?

Lzen
03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I buy my tires from Good Year which come with lifetime rotation and ballance. I bring my car in with a $19.99 coupon for an oil change, get my free rotation, free ballance every other time, and 30 minutes later I drive home. It would take me 30 minutes to change the oil and rotate me tires and it cost $10 for oil and filter. It is worth the extra $10 to me, to not have to do it and worry about driveway mess or getting the spent oil back to the parts store without making a mess in my car.

Probably makes sense in your case. Problem for a lot of people is that they don't have a shop they can trust. For me, it's more of a matter of knowing it is done right. And it really only takes me about 10 minutes. ;)

chiefforlife
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Where you at? My wifes Jeep needs a front end alignment and I don’t trust ANY of the shops in C-Town.

Thanks for asking but my shop is in Colorado. I hope you find an honest and quality shop, they are out there.

Sully
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Thing is, I really wish I could. I bet I'd enjoy it. I also wish I knew more about maintenance stuff around the house, and how to build things. It's just stuff I never learned growing up. My dad never did much of it, and I never hung with guys who did.

I always thought once I was settled with my career I would go to community college and take some auto classes for the hell of it.

Radar Chief
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for asking but my shop is in Colorado. I hope you find an honest and quality shop, they are out there.

Too bad.

Eleazar
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Thing is, I really wish I could. I bet I'd enjoy it. I also wish I knew more about maintenance stuff around the house, and how to build things. It's just stuff I never learned growing up. My dad never did much of it, and I never hung with guys who did.

I always thought once I was settled with my career I would go to community college and take some auto classes for the hell of it.

Repair manuals like Chilton or Haynes will show you how to do anything almost.

I got one when I first got a motorcycle, now I can do just about anything that you don't need a pricey piece of equipment to do.

Fact, that reminds me, I need to go find one for my new-to-me vehicle...

Mr. Plow
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm just the opposite I guess. As far as building things, my dad seems to know how to do just about anything. We've built 4 large garages, converted one garage into an office, roofing, electrical, finished basements, carpeting, etc. I've helped with nearly all of it. For some reason, it never stuck with me. My brother on the other hand is the same way as my dad.

I've only had one instance in my life where my dad refused to do something because he didn't know how and that was cutting the foundation of my house to installed two escape windows. I actually thought between the three of us we could do it, but he said "No ****ing way man." I paid someone to come do it. Luckily that was the correct choice as it took them all of an hour to do what would have taken us 3 days.

Sully
03-29-2007, 12:55 PM
LOL
My dad always had this dream of being a handyman. He bought every tool and machine he could get his hands on. I think he built a bench with it.
So when he died, I inherited a garage full of stuff.
Of course, I look at it all and in my head can imagine building and fixing a million things... But in reality, other than putting together the occasional entertainment center and/or desk... they all sit there doing nothing.

At least I have them all for whenever I do learn.

Mr. Plow
03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Let me know when you learn. I've got lots of shit that needs to be done around my house.

Brock
03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Stay out of the national chains. They are ALL completely corrupt and dishonest.

Sully
03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Let me know when you learn. I've got lots of shit that needs to be done around my house.
LOL
So do I.

Skip Towne
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
The last time I bought a tire from Wal-Mart it took them 3 hours to put it on the van. I commented to the manager that they could almost sell a set of tires per day. He wasn't amused.

Braincase
03-29-2007, 01:47 PM
LOL
My dad always had this dream of being a handyman. He bought every tool and machine he could get his hands on. I think he built a bench with it.
So when he died, I inherited a garage full of stuff.
Of course, I look at it all and in my head can imagine building and fixing a million things... But in reality, other than putting together the occasional entertainment center and/or desk... they all sit there doing nothing.

At least I have them all for whenever I do learn.

Give you 20 bucks for the lot. You'll have a lot more room in the garage and money for a case of beer and a bag of chips.

Sully
03-29-2007, 01:50 PM
Give you 20 bucks for the lot. You'll have a lot more room in the garage and money for a case of beer and a bag of chips.
LOL
At this point I'm keeping it a lot more for the memory of dad than its usefulness.

El Jefe
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with a lot of you guys on here, the lack of honesty in this field is appauling. I have worked at my Dads transmission shop for a couple years and the amount of people that come in that have been scammed is outrageous. We get people all the time from Jiffy Lube, who have had the drain plug left out and its amazing to me how many dumb people work there. The transmission business might be the worst because there are many shops that we compete with that take advantage of people everyday, when we try to get you on the road in the cheapest way for you. The dealerships can be the worst because if there is anything wrong with your trans they will put a new one in it, because they dont repair transmissions they remove and install. My dad has been around since 1982 and we try to help every person no matter if we cant make any money, and thats how we keep our business going we try to help people out and people appreciate honesty.

For Transmissions I would recommend finding out who in your are is ATRA certified that is very important. Also to say that all mechanics are scum is a ridiculous statement, in our business there are 4 of us my dad (owner), my brother (he r&r's), me (everything clean run for parts fix stuff lol), Jerry (rebuilds), and we try our best to help out the people who need help. If we can repair your trans for 800 instead of telling you it needs rebuilt for 2,000 we will repair it. My dad is a considered a Master Technician he is ATRA Certified for the last 30+ years in all fields and he is brilliant with cars. My dad has always said to send the cars out better than they came in so if we can clean up under the hood or under the car we will do it for you. I have never seen a dime taken for a repair that the person didnt need to do.I would recommend if you dont know much about cars to go to a couple places and see how everyones estimate match up to see if they all think the same thing about your problem.

HemiEd
03-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I agree with a lot of you guys on here, the lack of honesty in this field is appauling. I have worked at my Dads transmission shop for a couple years and the amount of people that come in that have been scammed is outrageous. We get people all the time from Jiffy Lube, who have had the drain plug left out and its amazing to me how many dumb people work there. The transmission business might be the worst because there are many shops that we compete with that take advantage of people everyday, when we try to get you on the road in the cheapest way for you. The dealerships can be the worst because if there is anything wrong with your trans they will put a new one in it, because they dont repair transmissions they remove and install. My dad has been around since 1982 and we try to help every person no matter if we cant make any money, and thats how we keep our business going we try to help people out and people appreciate honesty.

For Transmissions I would recommend finding out who in your are is ATRA certified that is very important. Also to say that all mechanics are scum is a ridiculous statement, in our business there are 4 of us my dad (owner), my brother (he r&r's), me (everything clean run for parts fix stuff lol), Jerry (rebuilds), and we try our best to help out the people who need help. If we can repair your trans for 800 instead of telling you it needs rebuilt for 2,000 we will repair it. My dad is a considered a Master Technician he is ATRA Certified for the last 30+ years in all fields and he is brilliant with cars. My dad has always said to send the cars out better than they came in so if we can clean up under the hood or under the car we will do it for you. I have never seen a dime taken for a repair that the person didnt need to do.I would recommend if you dont know much about cars to go to a couple places and see how everyones estimate match up to see if they all think the same thing about your problem.

Good post, local owner again! A couple weeks ago, one of our employees in the shipping department asked me for help. He had taken his f150 to AAMCO transmissions last summer and he had a receipt for $1700. It included everything and a new converter.
He has a bad vibration, but they kept putting him off. I drove it and it feels like a converter vibration. So I called them, explained that I think the put the wrong converter in (external vs internal balance) and want them to help this guy out. I would not let them bullshit me, like they were doing with him, even though they kept trying.
They ended up paying for his rental car and everything, happy ending.

El Jefe
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
HemiEd thats exactly what you should do. Aamco is ridiculous those guys are idiots that are around us. We have seen countless people who have been bull crapped just long enough until they were out of the warranty, convenient huh. We do warrant work when it needs to be done it sucks for us because you loose money but thats what people want, they want to see the warranty. And I would also go as far to say if they keep running you around the Mill, you should take it to the BBB and let them get a hold of them.

Fairplay
03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
A GM dealership would do a top notch job.

Do all your auto repairs and servicing at your local dealership . Also, buy a GM product while you are there.

trndobrd
03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
It's amazing how little people know about their most expensive possessions. Then they bitch because people take advantage of their ignorance.

It is generally easier for me to take my car in and let someone with the right tools put it up on a lift and get the work done quickly and efficiently. But now days most belts, hoses, bulbs, and filters can be replaced in a matter of minutes.

Bwana
03-29-2007, 04:53 PM

You think the oil change boys at Jiffy Lube are "mechanics?"

You = dumb ass :hmmm:

As far as the story, most of those "fast food" oil change outfits are a racket and they aren't afraid to stick it to you if you don't know what you're doing. As stated earlier in the thread, find a mechanic you can trust and stick with him.

Skip Towne
03-29-2007, 04:57 PM
It's amazing how little people know about their most expensive possessions. Then they bitch because people take advantage of their ignorance.

It is generally easier for me to take my car in and let someone with the right tools put it up on a lift and get the work done quickly and efficiently. But now days most belts, hoses, bulbs, and filters can be replaced in a matter of minutes.
What do you have against little people?

stevieray
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Case in point... needed a new wheel cylinder...special order for my van...44.00...using the exact same wheel cylinder for a 68 Camaro...7.95...installed it myself, but you can see how an eight dollar part could've ended up costing over a hundred dollars...

We've come a long way from someone checking you tires and oil, and cleaning your windshield while they pumped your gas.

trndobrd
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
What do you have against little people?

Isn't that the politcally correct term? Just trying not to offend dwarfs and midgets.