PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Jared Allen?

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 10:26 AM
In light of recent developments, would you consider trading Jared Allen for a couple of 1st-day picks. Say a 2nd and 3rd?

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
HAHA cool.

NO!

JBucc
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah.

crazycoffey
03-30-2007, 10:30 AM
It's smart business to "consider" trading anyone of our players, I don't know that I'm giving the recent media spunge much weight, it's part of the game they play. I have a very interested eye on what happens from here. I guess I might be more open to trade ideas if the media reports are true.... But it depends on my relationship with Allen (if I'm CP)

Ultra Peanut
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Fly away birdie.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
What is the latest on him, he still want to be traded or what?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
REPOST or Do we really need another thread for this?
Do we really need another thread for this? Or REPOST

~the asshole in me is unsure

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
What is the latest on him, he still want to be traded or what?

Yep.

His agent told Rhonda Moss yesterday that 2007 will be his last season in KC. He'll sign the tender right before camp, play out the 1-year deal, and become a UFA next year.

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 10:34 AM
REPOST or Do we really need another thread for this?
Do we really need another thread for this? Or REPOST

~the asshole in me is unsure

This is a POLL.

The asshole in you should have checked with someone other than the dumbass in you.

:D

Coogs
03-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes.

If we could land the #39 and #75 from Atlanta for Allen, I would go through with the deal. But that is just me.

Direckshun
03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I would consider it.

But I'd almost definitely say no.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
This is a POLL.

The asshole in you should have checked with someone other than the dumbass in you.

:D

:)

MOhillbilly
03-30-2007, 10:37 AM
after pondering it the past couple days,yes absolutely dump him now and get draft day value out of him.

something like a 2/3 will only help us rebuild faster.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2007, 10:38 AM
Yep.

His agent told Rhonda Moss yesterday that 2007 will be his last season in KC. He'll sign the tender right before camp, play out the 1-year deal, and become a UFA next year.
Well that is not good, and he is out 4games too, so yeah we better trade him for some good picks if possible if he doesn't want to be here. wtf is his problem, cause we wont pony up cause he's a drunkass.

Kclee
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
after pondering it the past couple days,yes absolutely dump him now and get draft day value out of him.

That's how I feel too.

el borracho
03-30-2007, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't mind trading him but if we did I would want more than a 2 and a 3.

MOhillbilly
03-30-2007, 10:45 AM
would anyone consider a deal w/ less than a 2-3 a bad move?

Sure-Oz
03-30-2007, 10:46 AM
we need a few picks, id maybe do a 2nd 3rd and 4th if need be, ep if he wont be here past this season of 12 games for him.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Allen haters. I would "consider" the trade too htismaqe.

But what I actually do it, no.

Bwana
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Yes

Mr. Laz
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
at this point, i would consider trading anyone .... no exclusions.

we have some serious rebuilding to do ....... anyone over the age of 30 should be looking over their shoulder.

we prolly should of traded Gonzo instead of giving him a big contract extension.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2007, 10:49 AM
yes

give us a 1st or multiple mids

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
Allen haters. I would "consider" the trade too htismaqe.

But what I actually do it, no.

I'm not an Allen hater at all.

It's just time to face the facts.

He says he won't play here after 2007. And we'll get nothing for him.

Right now, he has trade value, potentially 2 first-day picks. Is 12 more games of Jared Allen worth passing that up?

Not to me it's not.

Reerun_KC
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
What if we through in Htismaqe, a warm six pack and Allen for a 1-3?

Maybe we should redo the poll...

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 10:53 AM
What if we through in Htismaqe, a warm six pack and Allen for a 1-3?

Maybe we should redo the poll...

I have no trade value.

Reerun_KC

Right now, he has trade value, potentially 2 first-day picks. Is 12 more games of Jared Allen worth passing that up?

Not to me it's not.

Good post.

I am all for trading him, The Chiefs are in a restructure year or two anyway, 3 years from seriously competing in the playoffs. So why not get rid of the trouble?

We need all the picks we can get.

Wile_E_Coyote
at this point, i would consider trading anyone .... no exclusions.

we have some serious rebuilding to do ....... anyone over the age of 30 should be looking over their shoulder.

we prolly should of traded Gonzo instead of giving him a big contract extension.

I like Gonzo for Croyle. Heavens knows Huard needs him

Reerun_KC
I have no trade value.

That is where the warm six pack came in....

King_Chief_Fan
03-30-2007, 10:56 AM

Not to me it's not.

That is the reason to trade him.

I hate to see him go, but, we can't let him be in a position to screw this team over.

Reerun_KC
03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
That is the reason to trade him.

I hate to see him go, but, we can't let him be in a position to screw this team over.

Totally agree, We are not a very good team right now. Any first day picks will be an improvement

crazycoffey
03-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I have no trade value.

I have a hard time with this type of introspection......

:p

Mr. Laz
03-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I like Gonzo for Croyle. Heavens knows Huard needs him

of course .... Gonzo helps any QB

but his cost is going up and his value is dropping like a stone

by the time the rest of the team is gonna be ready to make a run, Gonzo will be ready for retirement.

Frazod
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
I have no trade value.

We could trade you to WPI for Athan and a conditional pick in '08. But then we'd probably have to use the franchise tag on Phil.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 11:01 AM
of course .... Gonzo helps any QB

but his cost is going up and his value is dropping like a stone

by the time the rest of the team is gonna be ready to make a run, Gonzo will be ready for retirement.

as of right now Gonzo is the only one who catches the ball...well Kennison's not bad. If only LJ was better there...maybe it was the one throwing him the ball this season :shrug:

edit: I just think a young/rookie QB needs a reliable target. Gonzo is that

el borracho
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Not that it matters what I would do but I wouldn't trade Allen for that. I would want two first day picks, including a first round pick.

L.A. Chieffan
03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
*SIGH*
I think I need to be like Hootie here and champion the cause of Allen.
I'm all for the future of the team. I would never put the value of one-player over the success of the franchise, but trading him just leaves a REALLY bad taste in my mouth.
As ADC would say "it's a sticky situation".

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 11:10 AM
We could trade you to WPI for Athan and a conditional pick in '08. But then we'd probably have to use the franchise tag on Phil.

You can't trade me to WPI. They can afford a Herschel Walker-like deal.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
as of right now Gonzo is the only one who catches the ball...well Kennison's not bad. If only LJ was better there...maybe it was the one throwing him the ball this season :shrug:

edit: I just think a young/rookie QB needs a reliable target. Gonzo is that
so mediocre today and mediocre tomorrow

that's your plan?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
so mediocre today and mediocre tomorrow

that's your plan?
If you're going to go with a young QB, invest in some good targets. Croyle throwing to Samie Parker & Dante Hall wouldn't do much for his confidence

keg in kc
03-30-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd trade anybody if the price is right.

el borracho
03-30-2007, 12:00 PM
If you're going to go with a young QB, invest in some good targets. Croyle throwing to Samie Parker & Jeff Webb wouldn't do much for his confidence
What do you know about Jeff Webb?

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 12:02 PM
What do you know about Jeff Webb?damm pre-edit quote :cuss:

Mr. Laz
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
If you're going to go with a young QB, invest in some good targets. Croyle throwing to Samie Parker & Dante Hall wouldn't do much for his confidence

true ... but i guess i never really figured Herm was going to start Croyle.

Huard starts this year imo ... throw the stop gap guy to the wolves.

trade Gonzo,Green,Wesley ..... anyone else that shows value that is too old to be around when we are really ready to compete in a couple of years.

trade old .... draft for the future ..... let Huard survive the best way he can.

GoHuge
03-30-2007, 12:04 PM

something like a 2/3 will only help us rebuild faster.Given his history it's like a gamble for any team to give up anything for him. It's almost like he's an upside potential kind of guy with the time he may or may not miss.

Wile_E_Coyote
03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
true ... but i guess i never really figured Herm was going to start Croyle.

Huard starts this year imo ... throw the stop gap guy to the wolves.

trade Gonzo,Green,Wesley ..... anyone else that shows value that is too old to be around when we are really ready to compete in a couple of years.

trade old .... draft for the future ..... let Huard survive the best way he can.

LJ would be dead by Halloween. But enough hi-jacking this thread :)

Reerun_KC
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
let Huard survive the best way he can.

As a 11+ year career "BACKUP"

HemiEd
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
For me it all hinges on the truth of Jared's future plans. I really don't care what his agent says, he can change agents. I think there is some grandstanding going on by his agent, but I have no facts to base it on.

I was pretty relieved when I heard JA on Carlotta's interview. The guy is too big a talent to let go without some sacrifice and understanding.

If he doesn't want to be here, then trade him. But if he wants to be a Chief, I would even put up with the year suspension.

Sure-Oz
03-30-2007, 12:25 PM
For me it all hinges on the truth of Jared's future plans. I really don't care what his agent says, he can change agents. I think there is some grandstanding going on by his agent, but I have no facts to base it on.

I was pretty relieved when I heard JA on Carlotta's interview. The guy is too big a talent to let go without some sacrifice and understanding.

If he doesn't want to be here, then trade him. But if he wants to be a Chief, I would even put up with the year suspension.
The guy should know better by now, he is on the verge of his 3rd strike.

stlchiefs
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree with what has been stated. If he really had no intention of signing a reasonable long term deal during/after this season. Trade him now and get it over with. If he's contrite, realizes the position he has put himself and the team in and is willing to sign a contract in accordance with these circumstances, keep the dumb drunk around.

ChiefFan31
03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I would want two first day picks, including a first round pick.

Well, I would want a teams whole draft for Allen, but that aint gonna happen.

No way would we get a 1st for Allen. A 2 and a 3 is even wishful thinking. Maybe 2-6 or 3-5 if we are lucky. Just my opinion.

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
No, then KC would have another hole to deal with

Hammock Parties
03-30-2007, 07:56 PM
It would have to be a really good deal, like a 1st and a 2nd. Otherwise, no.

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 08:59 PM
No, then KC would have another hole to deal with

We're gonna have that "hole" to deal with for the first 4 games of next season, and then we're gonna have to deal with that "hole" permanently at the end of next season when he leaves as a free agent.

I'd rather fill that hole NOW, with extra draft picks that we could get by trading him.

And extra 2nd or 3rd could net us Lamar Woodley or someone similar...

Reaper16
03-30-2007, 09:11 PM
12 more games of Allen for zero return (in a rebuilding year)

vs

getting picks that should help the future of this team tremendously.

I love Allen, but if he's going to throw this large of a hissy fit for not getting a long-term deal exactly when he wanted it the fug him. Trade him asap.

digi2fish
03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
our D seems never be completed

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
We're gonna have that "hole" to deal with for the first 4 games of next season, and then we're gonna have to deal with that "hole" permanently at the end of next season when he leaves as a free agent.

I'd rather fill that hole NOW, with extra draft picks that we could get by trading him.

Yeah, and why couldn't we find a feasible replacement with BPA in this very draft with the picks we already have? I rather go into the season with my star DE on the roster instead of hoping that a low round pick shall be the savior at the position.

htismaqe
03-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, and why couldn't we find a feasible replacement with BPA in this very draft with the picks we already have? I rather go into the season with my star DE on the roster instead of hoping that a low round pick shall be the savior at the position.

If we use one of our existing picks on a DE, that leaves us with less picks to address OL, WR, DT, CB...well, you get the picture.

I'm not talking about low-round picks. Allen could most certainly get us 2 FIRST-DAY picks.

I don't understand how having Allen listed on the roster page of KCChiefs.com does us one damn bit of good if he's sitting at home serving a suspension. Unless it just makes you feel better.

unothadeal
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
No

Tribal Warfare
03-30-2007, 09:24 PM
If we use one of our existing picks on a DE, that leaves us with less picks to address OL, WR, DT, CB...well, you get the picture.

I'm not talking about low-round picks. Allen could most certainly get us 2 FIRST-DAY picks.

I don't understand how having Allen listed on the roster page of KCChiefs.com does us one damn bit of good if he's sitting at home serving a suspension. Unless it just makes you feel better.

I don't understand why one would want to drop KC's best passrushing threat, and with the reasons you described how can you say he's gonna be an easy sell to another team for 1st day picks? KC is stuck with until next season

Hammock Parties
03-30-2007, 10:25 PM
I think Gaines Adams will be a better DE than Allen. I'd love to have him.

HemiEd
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I don't understand why one would want to drop KC's best passrushing threat, and with the reasons you described how can you say he's gonna be an easy sell to another team for 1st day picks? KC is stuck with until next season

Yes! What Tribal said!

UteChief
03-31-2007, 09:13 AM
If he truly doesn't want to be here and has no intention of signing a deal beyond 2007 I would undoubtedly trade him. I would want at least two picks the lowest I would go is a 2nd and a 4th. However, if he cleans his shit up and understands his place on the team, Carl should sign him to a respectable deal.

wazu
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
Hell, no. Not with Carl drafting.

cdcox
03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I would rather he stay, but if I thought he would seriously leave at the end of the season and that we could get a 2nd and a 3rd, then yes, I would trade him. I think we are in a period where we will be less competitive than in past years. If that is the case, it would be smart to trade current talent (which might not be here or starting to get old) for future young talent, that can all gel at the same time.

Chief Roundup
03-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Don't forget you all are trying to deal someone with a history of DWI trouble. Any other team is going to have concerns just like we do.
Therefore I say no this year. He can play his 12 games this season for the tender. And we will see how that goes.
Then next offseason he either signs a long term deal with us or we Franchise tag him and then do some shopping. By then he should of kept his nose clean for a year and that would remove some of the scare away from him.

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Don't forget you all are trying to deal someone with a history of DWI trouble. Any other team is going to have concerns just like we do.
Therefore I say no this year. He can play his 12 games this season for the tender. And we will see how that goes.
Then next offseason he either signs a long term deal with us or we Franchise tag him and then do some shopping. By then he should of kept his nose clean for a year and that would remove some of the scare away from him.That is a valid point.

CupidStunt
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Depends on how high in each round, but likely not. Two seconds or better then yes.

milkman
03-31-2007, 09:46 AM
Hell, no. Not with Carl drafting.

Just in case you missed it, Carl drafted Jared Allen.

Bowser
03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
As said before, if we want to trade him just so we want hear a player bitching and moaning about his contract status while threatening to hold out - that's just dumb. It's all just posturing on the players part because they know that the teams have all the power in situations like this. Allen and his agent are trying to instill in the fans exactly what htismaqe is feeling, and hopefully that backlash will have an effect on Carl's thinking, which it never does.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. The potential defense we have for years to come with Allen, Hali, DJ, Pollard and Page might be comparable to what we had in the mid '90's (provided another couple of pieces fall in to place).

That being said, if Atlanta is stupid enough to give up their second round picks for him, or some other bonehaeded GM would give up a first and third, I would do it. That's too much value to ignore. The problem is, nobody is going to give that to a player who is staring a third strike in the face.

We could be stuck with Allen, and that might not be such a bad thing.

CHIEF4EVER
03-31-2007, 11:02 AM

Not to me it's not.

Best post on the thread. Not only are your points spot on but there is another reason to trade him. What if he ***** up again? 1 year suspension. Get as much as we can for him while we can IMO.

Halfcan
03-31-2007, 04:08 PM

I voted no-but a 2nd and third would change my mind.

NJ Chief Fan
03-31-2007, 05:35 PM
If the price is right, I might consider it.

CHIEF4EVER
03-31-2007, 05:54 PM
What's the point in keeping him? We have Rich Scanlon.

penchief
03-31-2007, 06:01 PM
No.

He's a 24 year-old coming into his own. He's turning into one of the best at his position. He's improved every year he's played. While his sacks were down last year his tackles were up. His solo tackles were off the charts for a DE. He's a disruptive force against the run and the pass. If we had pressure up the middle he and Hali would both be damned near impossible to stop. His impact is going to continue to grow, IMO.

I say you don't trade a Pro-Bowl caliber player that hasn't even realized his potential yet. Unless you're going to get equal or greater compensation in return.

CHIEF4EVER
03-31-2007, 06:05 PM
No.

He's a 24 year-old coming into his own. He's turning into one of the best at his position. He's improved every year he's played. While his sacks were down last year his tackles were up. His solo tackles were off the charts for a DE. He's a disruptive force against the run and the pass. If we had pressure up the middle he and Hali would both be damned near impossible to stop. His impact is going to continue to grow, IMO.

I say you don't trade a Pro-Bowl caliber player that hasn't even realized his potential yet. Unless you're going to get equal or greater compensation in return.

Being serious now....you do realize that he is going to miss 4 games this season and if he f***s up one more time he is gone for a year. We need to get what we can while we can. Sad, really.

unothadeal
03-31-2007, 06:07 PM
I still think Carl should assign him a personal driver

penchief
03-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Being serious now....you do realize that he is going to miss 4 games this season and if he f***s up one more time he is gone for a year. We need to get what we can while we can. Sad, really.

I get that but you have to weigh that against the upside to a guy like Allen. IMO, he's the type of guy that lives football. He is likely to make the personal adjustments in his life to protect his chance of playing the game he loves. To me, he's not so much a physical specimen as he is a football player; a natural. IMO, he's an impact player and still getting better.

I doubt I was as wise as or as committed as even Allen is when I was 24.

htismaqe
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM

At least one team is ALREADY interested.

keg in kc
03-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Parker, who?

Coogs
04-01-2007, 08:58 AM

Not to me it's not.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

And I' sure this probably won't be popular, but I really wonder how much LJ wants to be here as well. I Know contract extention talks with LJ are under way. If I were CP I would try and have that done by the draft. If LJ is being totally unreasonable, I would consider moving him as well since we are in a makeover period with the team anyway. JMO!