PDA

View Full Version : Looks Like one of the "Elite" Basketball Programs

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Just hired Dana Altman as their new coach.... I guess this is what you get when you "think" you can hire whom ever you chose and those high profile coaches take a pass on the Historic Arkansas basketball Program..

ROFL....

DJay23
04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Just hired Dana Altman as their new coach.... I guess this is what you get when you "think" you can hire whom ever you chose and those high profile coaches take a pass on the Historic Arkansas basketball Program..

ROFL....
Do they seriously think they are an elite program? Because if memory serves, they had a few good runs and a national title in the early 90's. Other than that, you rarely hear their name.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Do they seriously think they are an elite program? Because if memory serves, they had a few good runs and a national title in the early 90's. Other than that, you rarely hear their name.

Oh yes, you ought to read hogsville.net... The meltdown is priceless on there now...

They are bashing Altman already because he was fired from KSU..

eazyb81
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
I don't think Arkansas fans truly think they are "elite", but I know for a fact they expected better than Dana Altman.

NewChief
04-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I don't think Arkansas fans truly think they are "elite", but I know for a fact they expected better than Dana Altman.

I think Arkansas fans vastly overestimate our school's importance within the national sports scene. People are always whining about how little national media attention we get, how the national pollsters under rank us, and how our players don't get enough media spotlight time. That people were actually seriously kicking around the idea that Self was going to leave KU to come to the UofA is indicative of the overblown esteem that most Hog fans give the university.

WilliamTheIrish
04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Do they seriously think they are an elite program? Because if memory serves, they had a few good runs and a national e title in the early 90's. Other than that, you rarely hear their name.

They had a great run in late 70's with Eddie Sutton. Remember Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, and Marvin Delph? That was a great team. They have a pretty rich basketball tradition.

the Talking Can
04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
wow...they swore it would be Self or Gillespi (sp?)...

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 08:49 AM
They had a great run in late 70's with Eddie Sutton. Remember Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, and Marvin Delph? That was a great team. They have a pretty rich basketball tradition.

I know they have a pretty nice tradition.. Just poking a little fun at Hoggie fans...

All we have heard is how they are going to get Bill S., Bill G, Calipari, Coach K, or whom ever they chose, because the have more history than Kansas... Blah, Blah, Blah...

I feel for them though, they have to feel about as well as most Chiefs fans felt when we hired the Coach... Just a hopeless, empty feeling.

WilliamTheIrish
04-02-2007, 08:55 AM
You should feel ecstatic. Now you can bitch about Illinois fans, Arkansas fans, and North Carolina fans.

Should make for a fun summer over there.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
You should feel ecstatic. Now you can bitch about Illinois fans, Arkansas fans, and North Carolina fans.

Should make for a fun summer over there.

Funny, I could care less about Illinois, Arkansas and UNC fans...

Ecstatic? About?

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Uh oh..someone said the "E" word.

Demonpenz
04-02-2007, 09:02 AM
and just think average as Arkansas is they still have a national title later than 88

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 09:03 AM
and just think average as Arkansas is they still have a national title later than 88
Zing!

Brock
04-02-2007, 09:04 AM

Wow! Impressive. You'd think with a record like that, any coach in the nation would give their toupee for that job.

DaKCMan AP
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh yes, you ought to read hogsville.net... The meltdown is priceless on there now...

That won't be anything near the meltdown that will occur on catspause.com once BillyD signs a huge extension at Florida.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Zing!

When was KSU's Last title appearance let alone win?

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 09:06 AM
That won't be anything near the meltdown that will occur on catspause.com once BillyD signs a huge extension at Florida.

What about the potential of Huggy going to WVU if Beilian(spelling?) goes to Michigan?

Epic meltdown of all times?

DaKCMan AP
04-02-2007, 09:07 AM
What about the potential of Huggy going to WVU if Beilian(spelling?) goes to Michigan?

Huggy would never leave the GRCOAT ;)

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 09:11 AM
from hogville.net

"You are not wanted as the next UA basketball coach. Please consider pulling a Bobby Cremins and go back to Creighton, you will be much happier.

Sincerely,

A Razorback Fan"

eazyb81
04-02-2007, 09:11 AM
When was KSU's Last title appearance let alone win?

When did anyone claim KSU was an elite program?

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 09:13 AM
When did anyone claim KSU was an elite program?

I must of missed the memo... Sorry.

WilliamTheIrish
04-02-2007, 09:21 AM

Yea, there would be a meltdown. If it happened Id be upset. But you can be certain I wont wear a "Benedict Huggins" shirt. Or call him the Lyin king.

Why would Huggins leave for a job that he turned down once already? Oh wait, I shouldn't ask that to you probably.

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Alanm is going to be crushed.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Yea, there would be a meltdown. If it happened Id be upset. But you can be certain I wont wear a "Benedict Huggins" shirt. Or call him the Lyin king.

Why would Huggins leave for a job that he turned down once already? Oh wait, I shouldn't ask that to you probably.

Bill, FYI, I really dont want Huggy to leave the Big 12, other than the Bills, Barnes and Knight, what else does the Big 12 have? We need Huggy to add another team to the top of the Big 12. It is good for us as a conference and good for the level and quality of play in the Big 12...

Huggy is good for the big twelve and from what I have been reading, WVU alumni and AD doesnt want anything to do with Huggy, his bagging or name, just like the last time that Huggy "turned down" the WVU job.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
This is great.

I was really worried Iowa was going to hire Altman.

JBucc
04-02-2007, 09:55 AM
What a great hire. I'm sure Altman will lead us to victory to many years to come.

(Ok, can someone tell me who Dana Altman is?)

Ultra Peanut
04-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Hogville is an unbelievably funny place.

Best part is, they were lined up for a nice season under Heath next year. Now, who knows?

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 10:24 AM
What a great hire. I'm sure Altman will lead us to victory to many years to come.

(Ok, can someone tell me who Dana Altman is?)
He's been the coach at Creighton University for the last 13 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Altman

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 10:36 AM
This is great.

I was really worried Iowa was going to hire Altman.
Late last week I was hearing it was all but a done deal with Iowa. I almost bumped the Alford thread to laugh at you about it.

JBucc
04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Ah, good ole Creighton. That's where we got Eddie Sutton from. I can't say I'm excited about this hire but at least interested to see how he does with some good talent.

Pitt Gorilla
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
When was KSU's Last title appearance let alone win?I thought you were talking about Arkansas?

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I thought you were talking about Arkansas?

Nah, I was taking a jab at Saul...

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Altman is a good hire for Arkansas. He is a good Xs and Os coach and if he can get SEC talent, Arkansas will do really good.

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Altman is a good hire for Arkansas. He is a good Xs and Os coach and if he can get SEC talent, Arkansas will do really good.
Yeah, I don't see why Arkansas fans are freaking out about this, he's done as well as anyone could at Creighton considering the high academic standards they have there.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't have anything against Altman, he's a good coach.

I would just like to see Iowa do something different for a change. They hired Tom Davis from BC and that was probably the best move they've made in the last 25 years.

Mile High Mania
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Wow... Altman? I know nothing about the dude and while I don't have the crazy view that Arkansas is elite, they do have a nice tradition and they're in the SEC. I think Broyles should have retired a decade ago...

I'm still confused as to how they can easily fire Heath, yet still give extenstions and more money to Nutt. That guy sucks.

JBucc
04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
There are rumors we are also hiring their AD and he will take over after Frank. Creighton will also now be known as the U of A at Omaha.

vailpass
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't have anything against Altman, he's a good coach.

I would just like to see Iowa do something different for a change. They hired Tom Davis from BC and that was probably the best move they've made in the last 25 years.

A source* tells me the Hawks are in close talks with Kirk Speraw, the Central Florida coach. He played under Lute and has done a lot with very little talent.

*source=drunk guy at the gyro stand in the Iowa City ped mall at 2:14 a.m.

JimNasium
04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Thank God he's no longer a Valley coach. He completely owned my Bears team.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 12:40 PM
A source* tells me the Hawks are in close talks with Kirk Speraw, the Central Florida coach. He played under Lute and has done a lot with very little talent.

*source=drunk guy at the gyro stand in the Iowa City ped mall at 2:14 a.m.

ROFL

I hope they don't hire Speraw. Isn't the coach at Indian Hills available?

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Wow... Altman? I know nothing about the dude and while I don't have the crazy view that Arkansas is elite, they do have a nice tradition and they're in the SEC. I think Broyles should have retired a decade ago...

I'm still confused as to how they can easily fire Heath, yet still give extenstions and more money to Nutt. That guy sucks.
ROFL They even gave him a million dollar bonus for turning down the Nebraska job in 2004.

vailpass
04-02-2007, 01:00 PM
ROFL

I hope they don't hire Speraw. Isn't the coach at Indian Hills available?

LMAO
They could try to pry Greg Stokes away from Kirkwood.

Mile High Mania
04-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Nutt definitely has pictures of Broyles... there's no other explanation. The guy has a losing record within the SEC through 9 seasons... hell, Ole Miss and Miss State are the only teams he owns.

Sad. Nutt has wasted a lot of talent in a decade... I wish McFadden could go pro now and I'll bet he does as well.

ChiefsCountry
04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Thank God he's no longer a Valley coach. He completely owned my Bears team.

Well every junior high coach in the Ozarks could out coach Hinson.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I was trolling and found these quailty litlle gold nuggets

"The old timer has never been to Lawrence, but College Station makes Fayetteville seem like heaven on earth. There is nothing good about College Station or the Aggies Basketball tradition (or lack there of). A&M can't match us financially either. If we want BCG, he is ours!"

"I can't WAIT until we get self or BG, and those uppity fans jaws drop!"

"Jayhawk we probably will. Your coach"

"Altman is the coach that got passed up by 7 schools in the Big 12 that were searching for a head coach. Apparently only a top 3 program in the country like Arkansas had a shot at him."

ROFL

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 01:21 PM
It's kind of a catch 22. Altman, IMO, was never interested in any of the Big XII schools.

However, Arkansas is a big enough program that he did have interest in it - but Arkansas thought they were bigger than Altman. Turns out they were wrong.

Reerun_KC
04-02-2007, 01:36 PM
It's kind of a catch 22. Altman, IMO, was never interested in any of the Big XII schools.

However, Arkansas is a big enough program that he did have interest in it - but Arkansas thought they were bigger than Altman. Turns out they were wrong.

poor guys, it is an absolute train wreck over in hoggieville today.

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 01:40 PM
poor guys, it is an absolute train wreck over in hoggieville today.
I think most of their frustration is about football, to be honest. They hate Houston Nutt. They hate Frank Broyles, and this is Franks last **** up before he retires.

But, Arkansas is the bastard child of the $EC. I bet they all think this is very amusing.

JimNasium
04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Well every junior high coach in the Ozarks could out coach Hinson.
That's a good point. Rumor has it that Tubby Smith was in town and we just couldn't afford to pay him what he wanted so they retained Barry.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Holy shit, I was over at one of the Hawkeye message boards and they were talking about Altman and the meltdown in Hog nation.

They're already trying to register www.firealtman.com! ROFL

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Arkansas hired Creightons Athletic Director as the DoBo (Director of Basketball operations).

Man, now the Husker Football fans might actually have to cheer for their own basketball program rather than wearing Creighton Blue in March.

Mile High Mania
04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the majority of people on the Net are freaking out... mainly b/c it seems like Broyles hasn't had his shit together for a few years. The hole Nutt saga and now this... going from having your sights (supposedly) on a big name and then you reach out to a private school and hire a dude named after a girl.

Reaper16
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Despite what insane Hogs fans may think, this is probably a very good hire.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Despite what insane Hogs fans may think, this is probably a very good hire.

In this case, good = SAFE.

No doubt, Altman is a good X and O guy on the bench. It remains to be seen if he can recruit to the level that needs to happen if they want to be a contender in the SEC.

Alot of Iowa fans wanted Altman. They thought the guy could get them to the tourney ever year, and they're probably right.

For me though, I want more than just the yearly "one and done". I'm sure Arkansas fans are no different.

Reaper16
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
In this case, good = SAFE.

No doubt, Altman is a good X and O guy on the bench. It remains to be seen if he can recruit to the level that needs to happen if they want to be a contender in the SEC.

Alot of Iowa fans wanted Altman. They thought the guy could get them to the tourney ever year, and they're probably right.

For me though, I want more than just the yearly "one and done". I'm sure Arkansas fans are no different.
Can't argue with that. Altman seems like a decent guy to take that chance on, though.

Chan93lx50
04-02-2007, 05:01 PM
htismaqe who do you want us to get? Not much left on the board

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Doesn't matter what I want at this point.

The hire is done.

Iowa will introduce Butler coach Todd Lickliter tomorrow...

Reaper16
04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Doesn't matter what I want at this point.

The hire is done.

Iowa will introduce Butler coach Todd Lickliter tomorrow...
:hmmm:

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Can't say I'm real excited about it.

Kinda fits into the Dana Altman category.

Two Sweet 16's, finished the season #19 and got a 5 seed. Just announced yesterday that he was National Coach of the Year.

Seems kinda reminiscent of the Alford hiring.

Skip Towne
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Zing!
What are you laughing about Mr. No National Titles in Anything?

DJay23
04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I was born in 77 so the answer is no, i don't remember that. :p

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Man, reading the Hawkeye message board over at Scout tonight makes me really appreciate this place.

They're asking for any and all "negative" posts about the new coach be deleted.

Sully
04-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Probably have to be a Premium Member to post negative comments.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Probably have to be a Premium Member to post negative comments.

"Todd Lickliter is the new coach!"

"Hmmm...I'm underwhelmed."

"You're retarded! This guy is GREAT!"

"Seems like he has a good record. I just hope he can recruit."

"Get outta here, you're not a REAL fan!!!"

Sully
04-02-2007, 08:25 PM
"Todd Lickliter is the new coach!"

"Hmmm...I'm underwhelmed."

"You're retarded! This guy is GREAT!"

"Seems like he has a good record. I just hope he can recruit."

"Get outta here, you're not a REAL fan!!!"
I'm pretty sure you owe Phobia $500.

htismaqe
04-02-2007, 08:31 PM
"I'm not really sure this hire is any better than Alford."

"God I wish I was a mod. I'd ban this clown!"

the Talking Can
04-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Man, reading the Hawkeye message board over at Scout tonight makes me really appreciate this place.

KU boards are infested with those type of concern trolls....I can't cope with it....

do you know what coaching tree the Butler guy comes from?

Bugeater
04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Arkansas hired Creightons Athletic Director as the DoBo (Director of Basketball operations).
There seems to be some confusion about that, the word late today was he isn't going. Dunno wtf is going on.

Man, now the Husker Football fans might actually have to cheer for their own basketball program rather than wearing Creighton Blue in March.
Haha. But you're wrong, as long as they sell beer in the Qwest Center, there will always be Husker/Creighton fans.

Saulbadguy
04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Haha. But you're wrong, as long as they sell beer in the Qwest Center, there will always be Husker/Creighton fans.
Best explanation yet! :clap:

htismaqe
04-03-2007, 08:31 AM
KU boards are infested with those type of concern trolls....I can't cope with it....

do you know what coaching tree the Butler guy comes from?

The Butler coaching tree...Barry Collier and Thad Matta were the two previous coaches.

Other than that, I have no idea.

JBucc
04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
SHIT (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6640996)

Archie Bunker
04-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Very interesting. Wonder where the Hogs go next.

Bugeater
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Damn, you beat me to it. No wonder I couldn't find the thread.

Saulbadguy
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
LOL

ArrowheadHawk
04-03-2007, 04:44 PM
now that is some funny sh*t

JBucc
04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I was just starting to like the guy too. Bring on Anthony Grant!

Skip Towne
04-03-2007, 05:04 PM
What a revoltin' development this is!

Archie Bunker
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Probably not worthy of its own thread so I throw it in here. Looks like Colorado is going to hire Air Force coach Jeff Bzdelik.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2824266

the Talking Can
04-03-2007, 05:32 PM
OH SNAP!

lmao

TRR
04-03-2007, 06:47 PM

I think it has to be a happy medium. I absolutely can't stand this place after a loss. The negativity gets out of hand.

As far as Lickliter goes, I think he is a solid hire. He is a coach that flew under the radar, even though he was named the National Coach of the Year. He has taken Butler to two Sweet 16's in the last 4 seasons if I am not mistaken, and he's got a 4 Star recruit headed to Butler. I think the Iowa basketball program needed a guy like Lickliter. They got burned by the last "big name" they hired, and it's time to start over.

htismaqe
04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I think it has to be a happy medium. I absolutely can't stand this place after a loss. The negativity gets out of hand.

As far as Lickliter goes, I think he is a solid hire. He is a coach that flew under the radar, even though he was named the National Coach of the Year. He has taken Butler to two Sweet 16's in the last 4 seasons if I am not mistaken, and he's got a 4 Star recruit headed to Butler. I think the Iowa basketball program needed a guy like Lickliter. They got burned by the last "big name" they hired, and it's time to start over.

There isn't a message board in the world that doesn't gravitate towards extremes. This board, though, generally represents BOTH extremes well, whereas HN the last couple of days has been completely one-sided.

I must say, after doing the research on Lickliter and listening to his presser today, I'm thoroughly pumped about Hawkeye basketball!

kstater
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
from hogville.net

"You are not wanted as the next UA basketball coach. Please consider pulling a Bobby Cremins and go back to Creighton, you will be much happier.

Sincerely,

A Razorback Fan"

Looks like they got their wish.

ROFL

Reerun_KC
04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
There isn't a message board in the world that doesn't gravitate towards extremes. This board, though, generally represents BOTH extremes well, whereas HN the last couple of days has been completely one-sided.

I must say, after doing the research on Lickliter and listening to his presser today, I'm thoroughly pumped about Hawkeye basketball!

Nice to see someone is excited about their new coach...

hogville.net is still down. ROFL

Skip Towne
04-03-2007, 07:10 PM

Just say 'Hawks alot. People will think you are us.

Reerun_KC
04-03-2007, 07:12 PM
OMG, I just found this on Hogsville.net

"I'd like to shut them up w/ an amazing hire. I say we go all out for Bill Self and show everyone the POWER of Arkansas. "

Priceless!!!!

Reerun_KC
04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Looks like they got their wish.

ROFL

Boy they are melting down like a wax candle over there today.. I should be studying, but this is pure comedy!

Reerun_KC
04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
One more than I am back to studying... Looks like the hoggies have a big spender in the bunch....

"Out of all of the candidates I've always liked Bill Self the most. I do not care if he costs 3 million dollars, sign his butt up. I will pledge 750 dollars per year for the next 10 years if we hire this man. The worst thing that could happen is he'd turn us down again. Well, we're past the point of embarrassment now. I don't think it could possibly hurt.

Mark my words, Altman's cowardly actions will turn out as a blessing. We are crazy for a winner, so let's get one!!!"

kstater
04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Been trolling over there occasionally lately. It's funny that all these posters have "inside" information on who they would hire. They were 100 percent it was Gillespie, then 100 percent it was Self........

Reerun_KC
04-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Been trolling over there occasionally lately. It's funny that all these posters have "inside" information on who they would hire. They were 100 percent it was Gillespie, then 100 percent it was Self........

Do they really think Self will leave KU, to take over that trainwreck?

They are totally crazy...

Skip Towne
04-03-2007, 08:00 PM
One more than I am back to studying... Looks like the hoggies have a big spender in the bunch....

"Out of all of the candidates I've always liked Bill Self the most. I do not care if he costs 3 million dollars, sign his butt up. I will pledge 750 dollars per year for the next 10 years if we hire this man. The worst thing that could happen is he'd turn us down again. Well, we're past the point of embarrassment now. I don't think it could possibly hurt.

Mark my words, Altman's cowardly actions will turn out as a blessing. We are crazy for a winner, so let's get one!!!"
$750? Get a thousand of your friends and get back to us.

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2007, 09:45 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

NewChief
04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Wally Hall makes a bunch of insinuations about the program in his column this morning:
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/186456/print/
Like it is : Arkansas has never been more embarrassed
Wally Hall

Posted on Wednesday, April 4, 2007

URL: http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/186456/

Dana Altman took the high road.

In less than 24 hours, he saw a number of things that he could not, would not, live with and made a decision that very well could be career suicide.

He met three times with Arkansas Chancellor John White and then met with the media and said all the right things for the University of Arkansas.

Not for Dana Altman, but for a school that has some serious issues, apparently ranging from academic problems to more critical areas.

Understand, by not telling all, he probably made a lifetime commitment to Creighton.

When he refused to bring out the laundry list of problems, he made it look like he had buyer’s remorse. And he was willing to do that for a school he has no allegiances to because he’s a man of character.

Never think for one second that he did the school wrong.

Altman came in with the intent to return the Razorbacks basketball program to national respect.

He worked late Monday night making contact with high school coaches and people he needed to believe in him and the UA.

By Tuesday morning, things were not adding up, and he began to dig deeper. When he was told personnel changes would not be made, he called his wife and then his former athletic director.

Before 7 p. m. Tuesday, 26 hours after accepting the job, he resigned to return home.

By then, the Razorback Foundation jet was en route to Augusta, Ga., to pick up Frank Broyles.

A headhunter agency in Atlanta is going to be hired to find one of its clients who has been fired, or is about to be, to take the job.

That’s a shame.

A shame for the UA, but more importantly for its fans who believed that after an initial jilting by Texas A&M’s Billy Gillispie, the right guy had been hired.

And he was, but he was not apprised of the entire situation because specific information had been withheld from bosses.

The University of Arkansas athletic department has never had more egg on its face than today, and it would have been worse if Altman hadn’t taken the high road.

It has nothing to do with the rumors that several players were ineligible, some had tested positive for drugs and that others may have had their hands out.

It has to do with the fact that the fans trusted the state’s flagship university not to get in this position.

The fans counted on them to be above board. To look out for them.

Thursday, recruiting begins for college basketball, and the UA doesn’t have a head coach.

Instead, the search begins with some outfit in Atlanta — where Broyles and Jimmy Dykes conducted their own search while almost every coach in America was there — that probably has no idea how to do a hog call.

They don’t understand the passion and pride the Razorbacks represent for the majority of the people in this state, and more than likely, they don’t care.

They will care about their fee.

The sad thing is this could have been avoided.

The search for a new coach started with Gillispie and then went into a free-fall until they happened upon an excellent coach with great character — Altman.

At one time, it was being said that Memphis Coach John Calipari was a candidate, and all this reporter could do was wonder why Mississippi’s Andy Kennedy had not been contacted.

All he did was win with some of the least-talented players in the SEC.

Or Mike Montgomery, who had great success at Stanford before an ill-advised moved to the NBA.

It initially looked like the Razorbacks had lucked out.

Altman is a coach’s coach, but he came to town and his five senses quickly told him it would be better to be a lifetime coach at Creighton than deal with the problems that won’t be solved because the people who allowed them will remain on the payroll.

Reerun_KC
04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Ouch that is a pretty damaging article on the pigs...

I think Altman will get another job. He just didnt stick around when the Pigs openly lied to him..

What kind of coach will take that job now?

NewChief
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Yeah, it's a mess. This coming weekend is a big recruiting weekend as well, as the UofA hosts a huge high school basketball tournament. We're going to be coachless with a program in disarray for what should be a weekend to convince some kids to come here.

Brock
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Is Norv Turner available?

Bugeater
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM

I think Altman will get another job. He just didnt stick around when the Pigs openly lied to him..

I'm not so sure Dana will be looking for another job anytime soon, I was really surprised to see him leave Creighton to begin with. I also have to think backing out of the Arkansas job like that will be a black mark for him, whether he was justified or not.

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey, I know! How about Nolan III?

Reerun_KC
04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm not so sure Dana will be looking for another job anytime soon, I was really surprised to see him leave Creighton to begin with. I also have to think backing out of the Arkansas job like that will be a black mark for him, whether he was justified or not.

True, but who wants to walk into a job that has been completely misrepresented to you?

It might leave a mark, but he should have never left in the first place... I think he did the right thing, no need to drag his name through the mud trying to fix their lies and problems...

Sounds like the piggy’s are in deep for a couple of years... What about the NCAA? They might be involved now with the talk of academic issues, drug use and money changing hands….

Brock
04-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Quite reminiscent of the Gene Stephenson to OU debacle.

htismaqe
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
True, but who wants to walk into a job that has been completely misrepresented to you?

It might leave a mark, but he should have never left in the first place... I think he did the right thing, no need to drag his name through the mud trying to fix their lies and problems...

Sounds like the piggy’s are in deep for a couple of years... What about the NCAA? They might be involved now with the talk of academic issues, drug use and money changing hands….

They're a top 5 program, bitch!

Reerun_KC
04-04-2007, 10:25 AM
They're a top 5 program, bitch!

oh yeah, memory is getting bad with old age...

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like the piggy’s are in deep for a couple of years... What about the NCAA? They might be involved now with the talk of academic issues, drug use and money changing hands….You're talking about a school with a football program whose head coach has an "if you're not in jail when it's time to practice, you're fine" mentality. I strongly doubt this straw will break the camel's back.

htismaqe
04-04-2007, 10:31 AM
You're talking about a school with a football program whose head coach has an "if you're not in jail when it's time to practice, you're fine" mentality. I strongly doubt this straw will break the camel's back.

They're coming after Coach Cal now. Memphis is a SWAC school compared to a top 5 program like Arkansas.

Ultra Peanut
04-04-2007, 10:32 AM
They're coming after Coach Cal now. Memphis is a SWAC school compared to a top 5 program like Arkansas.I just hope they go after Coach K first and spare us the pain of losing Cal. :deevee:

JBucc
04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
You're talking about a school with a football program whose head coach has an "if you're not in jail when it's time to practice, you're fine" mentality. I strongly doubt this straw will break the camel's back.Nutt will be out soon enough, hopefully.