PDA

View Full Version : Teicher - Croyle raring to go

Hammock Parties
04-04-2007, 01:29 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/160/story/58552.html

Croyle raring to go

Quarterback is eager to show Edwards, Chiefs that their faith in his ability to become the starter is well-founded.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Occasional winter travels between Kansas City and his home in Alabama provided a convenient excuse for Brodie Croyle. He couldn’t always follow the often-dramatic developments regarding the Chiefs and their quarterbacks.

Word still filtered his way that the Chiefs plan to give Croyle every chance to win the starting position. That process started this week with the beginning of the offseason program.

“It makes you even more eager and more excited about what’s fixing to happen,” Croyle said. “They’re not guaranteeing me anything. They’ve just said they’re going to give me a shot. If I’m ready to go, I’m ready to go. My whole thought is that I’m going to be ready to go and have the best offseason and minicamp and training camp I can possibly have. I want to give them no reason to think anything but that I’m ready to go.”

Conditioning sessions started Monday. Quarterbacks had the first of their three-times-a-week classroom sessions with position coach Dick Curl on Tuesday.

“We’ll talk about protections,” Curl said. “We’ll talk about routes. We’ll talk about defenses and how we’ll try to attack specific coverages. He’ll have to get up on the board after we look at some things. He’ll have to show us what he saw, this is what they did, this is how we’re going to protect it, this is where he should go with the ball in that situation.”

Eventually, Croyle and the other quarterbacks will move to the field to work on mechanics and techniques and do some throwing to receivers. Practice begins in May.

It’s the time of year for individual attention. At quarterback, most of it will be given to Croyle, the Chiefs’ third-round draft pick last year.

Coach Herm Edwards had Croyle on his radar before he joined the Chiefs. Edwards is friends with Mike Shula, Croyle’s college coach at Alabama. Shula provided Edwards with glowing reports on Croyle as his college career unfolded.

When Edwards got around to watching some video of Croyle, what he saw reminded him of Chad Pennington, his quarterback with the Jets. Croyle showed a cool head and the ability to make all the necessary throws.

Edwards would prefer that the 24-year-old Croyle win the job. That would, in theory, solve the Chiefs’ quarterback issues for the foreseeable future.

“This is his second time around, so he should be more knowledgeable about everything,” offensive coordinator Mike Solari said. “You usually see the biggest growth in the second year. He will start to see more things, comprehend more things. At first, everything is thrown at you and sometimes it’s overwhelming. Now, he’s not trying to just learn what to do. He can absorb everything, focus and really learn the details.

“This is a great time for him. It’s a perfect time to give him a chance to compete and show what he can do.”

The Chiefs were hopeful that the slightly built Croyle would return bigger than when he left, but he weighed in Monday at 207 pounds, about where he was when he left in January.

That’s despite his best efforts at meals.

“Ask anybody,” he said. “They think I’ve got a tapeworm, I eat so much.”

At issue is his ability to withstand the punishment of a 16-game season, if that becomes necessary. Croyle indicated he’d like to play at about 215.

“Trent went through the whole season at 212 last year,” he said. “I weighed 2 pounds less than Trent did today. Weight is not all that big an issue for me. It helps when you get banged around and all that. But most of it is how bad you want to get back up after you’ve been smoked. A lot of it has to do with how tough you are and how much you want to play the game. That can take you a lot further than just being 230 or 240 pounds.

“I’m not too concerned about it. Our strength coach isn’t too concerned about it. He’s been with Jake Plummer with Denver the last few years and (Plummer’s) been about 200.”

Ultimately, weight won’t be the make-or-break factor. The Chiefs would rather see his progress on the field.

“It’s one thing to be able to do in it the classroom,” Curl said. “It’s another thing when you’re playing in a game. You really need to get into a preseason game, where the bodies are coming at you full speed. In (offseason practices), you can make a mistake and it can be corrected. During the game, that mistake can get you beat.

“It’s going to be a work in progress. To say we’re going to be there at the first game, that would be great. But being realistic about it, it’s going to take longer than that.”

blueballs
04-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Brodie can't be Trent
or Grbac or Gannon or Bono
Chief fans don't expect that much

Hammock Parties
04-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Merriman is going to break Croyle in half.

Red Dawg
04-04-2007, 06:09 AM
It's called blocking! If we can get our line to block then who cares about his weight. You think Doug Flutie is 215 or how about Brees?

philfree
04-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Merriman is going to break Croyle in half.

Wrong! Denver is gonna chopblock Merriman to IR before he has a chance to lay a hand on Groadie Boyle.

PhilFree:arrow:

Bootlegged
04-04-2007, 06:17 AM
The league shall live in fear of Croyle to Hannon.

Extra Point
04-04-2007, 06:18 AM
It's called blocking! If we can get our line to block then who cares about his weight. You think Doug Flutie is 215 or how about Brees?

It all starts at the scrimmage line.

Hydrae
04-04-2007, 06:45 AM
Coach Herm Edwards had Croyle on his radar before he joined the Chiefs. Edwards is friends with Mike Shula, Croyle’s college coach at Alabama. Shula provided Edwards with glowing reports on Croyle as his college career unfolded.

Did this remind anyone of DV and Sims coach at NC and make them shudder?

trndobrd
04-04-2007, 07:39 AM

Hey, teams across the NFL are studying Sims' tape as we speak.

htismaqe
04-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Sims = #6 overall pick AFTER a trade up

Croyle = late 3rd rounder

Sims = came on his senior season and made his draft grade at the postseason workouts

Croyle = starter his entire college career

Sims = played right next to Julius Peppers

Croyle = was the lone talent on the entire Bama offense most of the time he was there

No comparison.

InChiefsHeaven
04-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Incidentally, I read somewhere yesterday that Trent is at these conditioning sessions, even though Edwards has excused him from them. I wonder what that's like in there...

RealSNR
04-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't know if I'd be able to be a Chiefs QB. It'd probably be impossible for me not to chuckle every time I called Dick Curl by name. Even just saying "Dick," it'd be terrible knowing that the Curl is still there.

Coogs
04-04-2007, 08:41 AM
The league shall live in fear of Croyle to Hannon.

Carlos Carson and Stephone Paige. Two of the best WR's in Chiefs history behind Otis Taylor. Carson was a 5th rounder and Paige a FA. Could happen again.

And go Croyle! :toast:

boogblaster
04-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Go deep you bastards, I'll get the ball there ....

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
“It makes you even more eager and more excited about what’s fixing to happen,”

You can tell we landed ourselves a Good Ol Boy. He does make some good points about playing weight. Croyle must just look thin, but in reality isn't much different than Trent and others.

htismaqe
04-04-2007, 09:09 AM
“It makes you even more eager and more excited about what’s fixing to happen,”

You can tell we landed ourselves a Good Ol Boy. He does make some good points about playing weight. Croyle must just look thin, but in reality isn't much different than Trent and others.

I saw them both up close and he looks just like Green.

OnTheWarpath15
04-04-2007, 09:56 AM
These worries about his weight are retarded.

He'll play at the same weight as Trent. Even mentioned in the article that Plummer played at 200. He seemed to hold up just fine.

Injuries are possible at any weight.

Being 260 doesn't necessarily help you...ask Daunte Culpepper.

Brodie will be fine around 210-215.

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM
or Jared Lorenzen: 285lbs

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494145

CosmicPal
04-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I honestly hope he pans out. The Chiefs, historically, haven't been good with drafting QBs'

It will be an interesting AFC West should Croyle win the job: Rivers, whatever that fart face's name is in Dungover, and whatever poor, unlucky soul the Faiders draft to lead their team further into hell.

With all these youngsters under center- it will be interesting to watch them all grow together. May be best QB (Croyle) win!

crazycoffey
04-04-2007, 10:11 AM
These worries about his weight are retarded.

He'll play at the same weight as Trent. Even mentioned in the article that Plummer played at 200. He seemed to hold up just fine.

Injuries are possible at any weight.

Being 260 doesn't necessarily help you...ask Daunte Culpepper.

Brodie will be fine around 210-215.

:clap:
Exactly, jeez people can we worry about less important things somedays?

I'm more concerned about his past success and practice field performances transfer to game day decisions and hash marks under the "W" column.

afchiefs
04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I dont care about his weight just his durability. The worst thing I read was he reminded herm of Chad Pennington :banghead: (he needs to be better than that). I'd probably take Huard over pennington. Dont understand the comparison though Pennington can barly get the ball down field and Croyle is suppose to have a rocket arm.

El Jefe
04-04-2007, 12:24 PM
He will get his shot and hopefully he is good enough to keep it through the year.

milkman
04-04-2007, 08:13 PM
I dont care about his weight just his durability. The worst thing I read was he reminded herm of Chad Pennington :banghead: (he needs to be better than that). I'd probably take Huard over pennington. Dont understand the comparison though Pennington can barly get the ball down field and Croyle is suppose to have a rocket arm.

Herman ****ing Edwards talks out of his ass most of the time.

jlscorpio
04-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Sims should take Brodie under his wing, and show him how to put on the pounds and keep them on.

milkman
04-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Sims should take Brodie under his wing, and show him how to put on the pounds and keep them on.

That's crazy talk.

Croyle would never get a bite.

kcfanXIII
04-04-2007, 10:12 PM
a 3rd round pick that busts is nowhere near as bad as a 6th OVERALL pick that busts.

as for the article, i cringed wheni read chad pennington's name. i've never been impressed by mediocre qb's, and as we all know, kc has had plenty. if croyle = pennington, i hope this is a stop gap.

i want to see the kid do well, but it has more to do with i want the chiefs to get it right just once. it could be casey printers, if he gets the job done, i don't care. i hope it works out for BC, but i'm not going to hinge my season on him.

i think it says a lot about trent green that he showed to condition with the team. at least we didn't lock him out ala the titans and steve mcnair.

Thig Lyfe
04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
or Jared Lorenzen: 285lbs

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/494145

I remember that guy! He's huge!

Weird to see a guy that size at QB.