PDA

View Full Version : Ahmadinejad to release UK sailors

Thig Lyfe
04-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Iran president to free UK sailors

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has met with some of the 15 British military personnel held in Iranian custody for almost two weeks, shortly after pardoning the group and vowing to set them free.

Iranian state television showed footage of Ahmadinejad shaking hands, smiling and chatting with the detainees who were dressed in suits. One of them was heard to comment in English: "We are grateful for your forgiveness." (Watch Ahmadinejad meet British detainess, wish them luck )

Iranian state television said the 15 would leave Iran by plane on Thursday, agencies reported. A CNN source said they were to leave Tehran at 8 a.m. (0430 GMT).

Ahmadinejad announced the amnesty at the end of a lengthy news conference on Wednesday in which he said the detainees had violated Iran's territorial waters and called their release "a gift to the British people."

"I declare that the people of Iran and the government of Iran -- in full power to place on trial the military people -- to give amnesty and pardon to these 15 people and I announce their freedom and their return to the people of Britain," Ahmadinejad said.

The action was a goodwill gesture for the Iranian new year, he said, adding that Iran had received a letter from Britain promising not to intrude into Iranian waters.

"The British government sent a letter to our Foreign Ministry and said it would not happen again. Of course, our decision had nothing to do with the letter. It's a decision made by our government to give a gift to the people of Britain," Ahmadinejad said in answer to a reporter's question. (Watch Ahmadinejad warn Blair not to question released personnel )

An Iranian diplomat in London told The Associated Press that the 15 would be handed over to the British Embassy in Tehran.

"They will go through some brief formalities and then they will go to the embassy," he said. "They can go on a British Airways flight to Heathrow, they can go through the UAE, it is up to the British Embassy in Tehran in coordination with the Foreign Office here."

A spokeswoman for British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed the announcement: "We are now establishing exactly what this means in terms of the method and timing of their release."

In New York, Britain's U.N. Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry said: "If this news is confirmed, then it's tremendous news and we're delighted."

In Washington, White House spokesman Gordon Johndroe said, "President Bush also welcomes the news."

Ahmadinejad had earlier praised the border guards who captured the 15, presenting their commander with a medal for bravery.

"I thank the border guards who bravely protect our borders and also arrested the violators, and I grant them the bravery medal to their commander," Ahmadinejad said.

Ahmadinejad's annoucement followed a cooling in the diplomatic row that had raged between London and Tehran since the Britons' detention on March 23. (Watch how tempers have cooled in diplomatic dispute )

Iran had insisted that Britain must admit its military personnel intruded into Iranian territorial waters and "guarantee this violation would not be committed again."

Britain claimed the sailors and marines were well inside Iraqi waters when Iran captured them on March 23.

Iran had released several videos showing the 14 men and one woman in which they appeared to be in good health. Iran also released videotaped confessions from four of the sailors -- including the woman, Faye Turney.

Britain said the confessions were coerced and expressed its outrage at the videos' release.

Other developments

A U.S. military official said Washington officials were considering a request made by Iran to allow Iranian representatives access to the five detained Iranians captured early January by U.S. forces during a military raid in northern Iraq. "The request has been made but nothing has been approved," the official told CNN on Wednesday. (Iraq pressing U.S. to release Iranians)

Iranian officials in Kish Island said a U.S. inquiry into an American citizen who has been missing for several weeks in southern Iran was made for "political purposes," according to IRNA, Iran's state-run news agency.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/04/iran.sailors/index.html

---

Looks like he's trying to avoid getting bombed...

carlos3652
04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
He is trying ot show his people that Iran is a "strong"country and will not be bullied... and he also wants to show tht he is Mercyful (sp?)

PR BS... Everyone can see that he is putting on a show...

Iowanian
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
He should....and should release the stolen equipment and boats.

Thats twice. a 3rd incident should cost him some collateral damage.

From now on, those patrols should have destroyers or gunship escourts at least in the vicinity.

BigMeatballDave
04-04-2007, 10:23 AM
LOL. I posted this story in DC at the same time.

kepp
04-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I was thinking about the whole situation this morning. Wouldn't the best thing the sailors could have done was just high tail it out of there when the Iranians wanted to board them? They wouldn't have actually fired on them, would they?

Frazod
04-04-2007, 10:42 AM
1. I'll believe it when I see it.

2. If true, once they get the hostages back, any Iranian naval vessel larger than a rowboat should be blown out of the water.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
In reality though, isn't this a case of "He said, she said?" Just what if they actually WERE in the Iranian waters? :hmmm:

Just playing devil's advocate. ;)

stlchiefs
04-04-2007, 10:58 AM
What a nice Easter present from the thoughtful Iranians.

vailpass
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
In reality though, isn't this a case of "He said, she said?" Just what if they actually WERE in the Iranian waters? :hmmm:

What if they were in Iranian waters? A civilized national leader would not have taken hostages, broken every conventin by showing them on TV, and tried to make political gain from the situation.
Yet another example of MiddleEastern leadership who think they are still in the stone age and employ juvenille, archaic tactics.
How much longer can the Iranian majority allow this buffoon to misrepresent them to the world?
One day he is going to go to far and it will be the innocents who pay in blood and tears.

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
If these hostages were tortured to make the statements they made, I hope the Brits respond stongly.

Iowanian
04-04-2007, 11:02 AM

No you're not....you're biased as hell to the Iranian viewpoint.

This is the 2nd time it happend and the Iranians are the assholes. The Brits had satelite images and GPS positions to verify their side of the story. The ship they had boarded confirmed it also.

Those whacky, Peace loving, playful Iranians just playing the Hostage game...again. Its one of Ole Pres' favorites since the late 70s.

Redrum_69
04-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Cant we all just get along

if not

then nukem all

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Considering that the first set of coordinates the Iranians provided showed that they took the hostages in Iraqi waters...

vailpass
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
"Technology is the tool of the Western devil and is not to be trusted. By the grace of allah our heroic naval forces were able to protect our waters from the infidel invaders...blah...blah...blah" /amhankidnapper

And the fricking people believe him. The gullible, uneducated, brainwashed masses.
Amazing.

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Those whacky, Peace loving, playful Iranians just playing the Hostage game...again. Its one of Ole Pres' favorites since the late 70s.

You know the fun part? Ahmadinejad may have been directly involved in taking and holding our hostages in 1979.

vailpass
04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
You know the fun part? Ahmadinejad may have been directly involved in taking and holding our hostages in 1979.

Pretty sure thats what Iowa was gettin' at.

Eleazar
04-04-2007, 11:13 AM

I saw those pics on TV once, and it definitely looks like him. I didn't really question that he was one of the people holding the hostages after I saw them.

It's too bad Mr Peanut's raid floundered... woulda been nice for him to catch a few rounds in the face.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:15 AM
What if they were in Iranian waters? A civilized national leader would not have taken hostages, broken every conventin by showing them on TV, and tried to make political gain from the situation.
I was not siding with Ahmadinejad's policioes and tactics. To me, he is Iran's version of George Bush. And it's very frustrating.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:18 AM
No you're not....you're biased as hell to the Iranian viewpoint.
Since you have shown here time and time again that your opinion of me is "unbiased" I really welcome and value your opinions. Thanks for setting me straight and away from my "un-American" ways. :rolleyes:

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
I was not siding with Ahmadinejad's policioes and tactics. To me, he is Iran's version of George Bush. And it's very frustrating.

I'm not a huge fan of President Bush, if you can actually somehow equate the two, then you're a f*cking idiot.

Iowanian
04-04-2007, 11:19 AM
And the fricking people believe him. The gullible, uneducated, brainwashed masses.
Amazing.

They've got a few thousand year head start on the west, and still wipe their asses with their hands.

Joie
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I won't believe it until they are back on friendly soil.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I saw those pics on TV once, and it definitely looks like him. I didn't really question that he was one of the people holding the hostages after I saw them.

It's too bad Mr Peanut's raid floundered... woulda been nice for him to catch a few rounds in the face.
No it's not him. the person in the fuzzy pic and today's GW Ahmadinejad don't look 35 years apart in age.

vailpass
04-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Nice try but you can't hide the animal tactics of Ahmancaveman behind the catch-all "bush is da debil" facade. iran's leader is an aggressive little puppy dog barking at his superiors. One day he may bark a little too loud and find out what an alpha-dog is all about.

Eleazar
04-04-2007, 11:32 AM
I don't want us in an open conflict with Iran or anything, but man, it sure would be helpful if this guy met with an unfortunate accident.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not a huge fan of President Bush, if you can actually somehow equate the two, then you're a f*cking idiot.
Let's see. :hmmm: ...

Both are hardline conservatives (Neocons of their respective countries). Both backed by and represent hardline radical religious lobby. Both promote the "us against the world" policy to unite the unsuspecting sheep behind their cause. Both have no problem with putting their own people in harms way to advance an ideology, if not personal gain. Both say stupid things that insult our intelligence. Both talk peace and promote confrontation..... Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah, both have beady little eyes and a stupid arrogant grin. And both have been compared frequently to apes on the internet.

I guess you are right. No comparison.

Redrum_69
04-04-2007, 11:34 AM
If you could be shipwrecked on an island with any three women from the past or present....which three would it be?

Iowanian
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Frankie is right. My opinion is biased. I think Frankie is an idiot.

vailpass
04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
If you could be shipwrecked on an island with any three women from the past or present....which three would it be?

Does my current cockholster count or do I get a freebie on that one since it's your mom?

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Let's see. :hmmm: ...

Both are hardline conservatives (Neocons of their respective countries). Both backed by and represent hardline radical religious lobby. Both promote the "us against the world" policy to unite the unsuspecting sheep behind their cause. Both have no problem with putting their own people in harms way to advance an ideology, if not personal gain. Both say stupid things that insult our intelligence. Both talk peace and promote confrontation..... Have I missed anything?

Oh yeah, both have beady little eyes and a stupid arrogant grin. And both have been compared frequently to apes on the internet.

I guess you are right. No comparison.

You know, I find it amazing that some Americans can follow this path. I hated Clinton with a passion, but I never would have even imagined making such a leap, especially when it comes to a leader of a non-friendly foreign power who has threatened our allies and is developing the potential for a physics package.

If you can, Frankie, that's just great.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Audrey Hepburn, Neffertiti, and possibly (but not sure) Angelina. Assuming you meant famous women.

Eleazar
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
You know, I find it amazing that some Americans can follow this path. I hated Clinton with a passion, but I never would have even imagined making such a leap, especially when it comes to a leader of a non-friendly foreign power who has threatened our allies and is developing the potential for a physics package.

No kidding. There are a lot of people who I dislike on the other side, but to go completely off the deep end like that. Jeez.

Frankie
04-04-2007, 11:53 AM

A giant leap for you may be a small step by others. But if you give it an unbiased thought it may not be such a leap.

Donger
04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
A giant leap for you may be a small step by others. But if you give it an unbiased thought it may not be such a leap.

Indeed. I don't doubt that it's a small step for you and those like you. That should tell you something, by the way.

Redrum_69
04-04-2007, 11:58 AM
Audrey Hepburn, Neffertiti, and possibly (but not sure) Angelina. Assuming you meant famous women.

nice

and yeah...any woman....

Redrum_69
04-04-2007, 12:00 PM

I was going to chose....

Christina Aguilera, Carmen Electra (before Prince got ahold of her) and Jennifer Lopez (before her first marriage, when she was a dancer on In Living Color)