PDA

View Full Version : 13 years ago today. . .

percysnow
04-05-2007, 01:57 PM
kurt cobain shot himself. . .

mikeyis4dcats.
04-05-2007, 01:58 PM
good.

StcChief
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
bfd.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
he was a great musician

mikeyis4dcats.
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
or was it Courtney?

Pitt Gorilla
04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Nevermind is a great album.

Frazod
04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
And at some point before that, he was a leading participant in the murder of rock and roll.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:13 PM
And at some point before that, he was a leading participant in the murder of rock and roll.

poss most ignorant statement ever on this site. . .U think Nirvana in the 90's killed rock and roll. . .lol

Jenson71
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
JPII died 2 years ago on Monday.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM

bfd

Frazod
04-05-2007, 02:21 PM
poss most ignorant statement ever on this site. . .U think Nirvana in the 90's killed rock and roll. . .lol

If some moron who can't spell "you" correctly thinks I'm ignorant, then I must be doing something right.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
If some moron who can't spell "you" correctly thinks I'm ignorant, then I must be doing something right.

good comeback U ignorant fool. . .

chagrin
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

dude, settle down Kurt Cobain was NOT John Lennon, so you can stop right about now.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:23 PM
dude, settle down Kurt Cobain was NOT John Lennon, so you can stop right about now.

who said he was john lennon????

Jenson71
04-05-2007, 02:24 PM
bfd

It really was.

Frazod
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
good comeback U ignorant fool. . .

Come back when you've mastered first grade English, retard.

chagrin
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
who said he was john lennon????

My statement was more of a pre-emptive strike, because most of the grunge generation people were calling him their John Lennon and he was constantly compared to John Lennon

sorry, probably not a discussion I should be in, I wasn't a fan but I totally recognize the impact they had on music

Eleazar
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I liked them back in the day but I listened to a couple of those CDs recently and like I have said before... they haven't aged well. They seem simplistic and not really anything special to my ear today.

percysnow
04-05-2007, 02:29 PM
in my time he was the closest thing to a rock star we had (im 29). . but i still will take beatles zepp, floyd, stones ect. . .any day over him. . .

bgguitarman
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM

FU#K JPII.............man I'm getting struck down by lightning for that one!

Phobia
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't mourn him then and I won't now. But they did put out some decent music for the time. I just don't put others on the pedestal that some do. He was nothing special despite the tendancy of our society to bestow great wealth and honor on those who entertain us. A few centuries ago, he'd have been a jester entertaining at the whim of his king - if he was lucky. Heh.

crazycoffey
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM

I was thinking this was your birthday thread........

sorry.

Pitt Gorilla
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
My statement was more of a pre-emptive strike, because most of the grunge generation people were calling him their John Lennon and he was constantly compared to John Lennon

sorry, probably not a discussion I should be in, I wasn't a fan but I totally recognize the impact they had on musicHuh? I grew up in that era and enjoyed Nirvana's music. I don't recall anyone I knew calling him their John Lennon.

You seem to enjoy this "pre-emptive strike" thing, but I don't quite get the point. See also: "All I see now are the freaks frantically searching the web for pro-spin on this story. If they find nothing, I'm going to go ahead and predict that they simply say "this is no big deal" and try to move the bad press away, or "oh yeah, well Bush and the neocon RWNJ's have been doing this for years..."

write it down"

What is that supposed to do?

Jenson71
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
man I'm getting struck down by lightning for that one!

Probably twice.

htismaqe
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I always hated Nirvana, and to a lesser extent Pearl Jam.

Soundgarden and AIC were the best Seattle bands of the time...

Reerun_KC
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
who in the hell is kurt cobain? Never heard of him....

I guess that shows you how influential his music was...

Brock
04-05-2007, 02:41 PM
And yet, IT (http://perezhilton.com/topics/courtney_love/how_do_we_say_this_delicately_20070404.php) still lives.

crazycoffey
04-05-2007, 02:45 PM
And yet, IT (http://perezhilton.com/topics/courtney_love/how_do_we_say_this_delicately_20070404.php) still lives.

being liberal with your definition of alive?

and conservative with the "it" comment........

HemiEd
04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Who?

Deberg_1990
04-05-2007, 02:48 PM
I didn't mourn him then and I won't now. But they did put out some decent music for the time. I just don't put others on the pedestal that some do. He was nothing special despite the tendancy of our society to bestow great wealth and honor on those who entertain us. A few centuries ago, he'd have been a jester entertaining at the whim of his king - if he was lucky. Heh.

IM with you Phil. I dont like to put entertainers on pedestals just because they are "Stars"

I will admit the guy was a hell of a musician and love Nirvana's music even to this day. BTW, i wonder whatever happened to Krist Novoselic??

afchiefs
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
FU#K JPII.............man I'm getting struck down by lightning for that one!

Your going straight to HELL on the short bus and :evil: this is your bus driver. :shake:

ChiefsOne
04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Another dumbass ended his life early. Loved alot of their music.

I think Lane Staley either offed himself the same day two years later or they found his body on this day. AIC much better than Nirvana.

Brock
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
IM with you Phil. I dont like to put entertainers on pedestals just because they are "Stars"

I will admit the guy was a hell of a musician and love Nirvana's music even to this day. BTW, i wonder whatever happened to Krist Novoselic??

I saw him on VH1 classic the other day. He looks like a high school guidance counselor now.

Redrum_69
04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
13 years ago?

HOLY SHIT

I was working in an oak furniture warehouse, building chairs and tables all day long. I remember bringing eating my lunch when one of the empty 18 wheelers backed up and ruined the interference on the radio. At first I thought I heard it wrong, but then they announced it again on 98.9 I remember I thought about one thing....

"Man, I hope Dave Groll takes over"

then I heard what happened...and knew Cobain had been murdered by COurtney, he loved his daughter too much to kill himself.

chagrin
04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Huh? I grew up in that era and enjoyed Nirvana's music. I don't recall anyone I knew calling him their John Lennon.

You seem to enjoy this "pre-emptive strike" thing, but I don't quite get the point. See also: "All I see now are the freaks frantically searching the web for pro-spin on this story. If they find nothing, I'm going to go ahead and predict that they simply say "this is no big deal" and try to move the bad press away, or "oh yeah, well Bush and the neocon RWNJ's have been doing this for years..."

write it down"

What is that supposed to do?

Don't really understand what one has to do with another.

Let me explain it this way:

I had a radio career from 1986-1999 - I participated heavily in the scene, I went to Foundations Forum each year, NAB, etc plus I once even worked at 3 radio stations a day at one point. I played drums in local bands and knew everybody. The radio thing, we took phone calls all day, obviously (that's a big part of radio, taking calls) I read trade magazines, geesh I even watched that sorry ass MTV, I know what I saw and what I heard. If you feel like I should apoligize for appearing to generalize, I am sorry for that, but I am not going to provide links and "go JAZ", geesh. I pretty much knew the word on the street and all I heard at the time was "he's our John Lennon" "not since John Lennon has music lost..."

So, I don't know what your problem is with bringing DC here, it's just my way of dealing with the freaks over there, I will not change that. but i don't think it has anything to do with a this thread, besides dude was headed in a direction that was going to blow Kurt's legacy way out of proportion, in my opinion - but I bowed out of the conversation
I for one am fine with disagreeing with that assessment. I am passionate about music, what can I say? Can't blame a guy for speaking his mind.

chagrin
04-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Another dumbass ended his life early. Loved alot of their music.

I think Lane Staley either offed himself the same day two years later or they found his body on this day. AIC much better than Nirvana.

I totally agree with this

KcMizzou
04-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I didn't mourn him then and I won't now. But they did put out some decent music for the time. I just don't put others on the pedestal that some do. He was nothing special despite the tendancy of our society to bestow great wealth and honor on those who entertain us. A few centuries ago, he'd have been a jester entertaining at the whim of his king - if he was lucky. Heh.Not to mention entertain us and die young.

I was a Nirvana fan, but clearly the legend has grown after his suicide.

(13 years?!?! God I'm getting old.)

Chief Chief
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
And the reason for suicide was..._________???

a. Mad genius ahead of his time who knew he was wasting his talent on an undeserving generation

b. Unable to handle instant fame, fortune, and success

c. Overdose of illegal drugs and/or alcohol

d. Fugly Courtney Love

e. Other

MOhillbilly
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM

sorry, probably not a discussion I should be in, I wasn't a fan but I totally recognize the impact they had on music

i dont remember anyone saying that but i do remember comparisons to the sex pistols et al.........

KcMizzou
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
And the reason for suicide was..._________???

a. Mad genius ahead of his time who knew he was wasting his talent on an undeserving generation

b. Unable to handle instant fame, fortune, and success

c. Overdose of illegal drugs and/or alcohol

d. Fugly Courtney Love

e. OtherI'll take b,c, and d.

Joe Seahawk
04-05-2007, 03:45 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Welcome_to_Aberdeen_cropped.jpg

kcxiv
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
his unplugged album is my fav damn album. I will go as far as to say one of the greatest albums ever. Its that good.

CosmicPal
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Sam Hall
04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Dave Grohl was far and away the most talented member of Nirvana. He can do it all. Cobain was extremely overrated in terms of talent.

Brock
04-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Dave Grohl was far and away the most talented member of Nirvana. He can do it all. Cobain was extremely overrated in terms of talent.

Sorry, wrong. You couldn't have replaced Cobain in Nirvana, but you sure as hell could have replaced Grohl.

Thig Lyfe
04-05-2007, 10:03 PM
COURTNEY LOVE KILLED POPE JOHN PAUL II!!!

crazycoffey
04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't think you could have replace either Kurt or Dave

Extra Point
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
And I get on my knees and pray

We don't get fooled again

Tribal Warfare
04-05-2007, 10:13 PM

and years later Lane Staley shot himself

Sam Hall
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry, wrong. You couldn't have replaced Cobain in Nirvana, but you sure as hell could have replaced Grohl.

Ever heard of the Foo Fighters?

Demonpenz
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I remember hearing nirvana for the first time. My older cousin and I would hang out all the time after school he was 18 I was 11 or 12. He would bow down to van halen stevie ray vaughn all the greats. Then Smells like teen spirit came on and he was like watch this shit.... You can't understand the words. I knew something was changed that instant. That was the first time i can remember on a video mosh pitting stage diving. Oh the flannel shirts, the dirty long hair tucked into a ball cap, some courdery jeans, thse were the days. I wore a pearl jam t shirt that said 9 out of 10 kids prefer crayons to guns. That was 2 years before columbine.

jlscorpio
04-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Gotta agree with Htis, Soundgarden and AIC were the best of the Seattle crop. Mudhoney and the Screaming Trees were the unsung heroes of the scene. The media rammed Nirvana and Pearl Jam down our throats ad nauseum. It took me years to gain an appreciation of Nirvana, and I have come to enjoy some PJ tracks from later albums, but Soundgarden and AIC were truly great bands, in any era.

Brock
04-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Ever heard of the Foo Fighters?

Ever heard of "Average band"? Hell, Grohl doesn't even play drums in that band.

Lzen
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Frankly, I never cared much for Nirvana. I understand their impact on popular music. Just not really my thing. Just like the Rolling Stones. I know they have a had big impact on rock over the years. I just never cared for them. I'm with Sam Hall, I like Foo Fighters much better.

Lzen
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah, I loved Soundgarden and AIC.

Lzen
04-06-2007, 08:42 AM
and years later Lane Staley shot himself

You mean he overdosed on heroin?

percysnow
04-06-2007, 08:50 AM

if it wasnt for Kurt u wouldnt even know Dave Grohls name and there would be no foo fighters. . and thats a fact

Lzen
04-06-2007, 09:12 AM
if it wasnt for Kurt u wouldnt even know Dave Grohls name and there would be no foo fighters. . and thats a fact

No, that is an opinion.

percysnow
04-06-2007, 09:14 AM
No, that is an opinion.

an opinion is that ur a jerk off. . .

Brock
04-06-2007, 09:14 AM
No, that is an opinion.

Eh, it's pretty unlikely Grohl would be where he is today if he hadn't been in Nirvana. To think otherwise is pretty silly.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I always hated Nirvana, and to a lesser extent Pearl Jam.

Soundgarden and AIC were the best Seattle bands of the time...

Temple of the Dog was a mixture of all those bands except nirvana. They put out a really good album.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I'd say Grohl and Co. have done quite well without Cobain. Grohl had more than enough talent to make it on his own.

Brock
04-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Have they? I wouldn't know, since they don't get played on the radio.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 12:27 PM
That doesn't mean a damn thing. You're being an ignorant douchebag. You and all the mainstream losers can kiss my ass.

Brock
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
That doesn't mean a damn thing. You're being an ignorant douchebag. You and all the mainstream losers can kiss my ass.

You saying Foo Fighters is better than Nirvana and calling anyone else mainstream is hilarious. BTW, suck a fart if you can't keep the conversation civil.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
It's not about Nirvana and the Foo Fighters. It's about Cobain and Grohl. Cobain gets all the credit, and it's not right.

Brock
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
It's not about Nirvana and the Foo Fighters. It's about Cobain and Grohl. Cobain gets all the credit, and it's not right.

Yeah well, that tends to happen when you wrote all the songs. Grohl's a good drummer, but anybody could have done what he did in that band.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Cobain got all the credit because he was the singer.

FAX
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Didn't Cobain write their material, Mr. Sam Hall?

FAX

Brock
04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Cobain got all the credit because he was the singer.

LOL, k.

UL Washington
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
If Cobain had even the smallest little bit to do with the death of that pop metal stuff (Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crew etc.) then he should be made a saint.

Brock
04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
If Cobain had even the smallest little bit to do with the death of that pop metal stuff (Poison, Cinderella, Motley Crew etc.) then he should be made a saint.

He buried Axl Rose, he's a demigod.

alpha_omega
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
...and Rock and Roll was saved!

Lzen
04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Eh, it's pretty unlikely Grohl would be where he is today if he hadn't been in Nirvana. To think otherwise is pretty silly.

I agree. Still doesn't make it a fact.

Lzen
04-06-2007, 01:13 PM
an opinion is that ur a jerk off. . .

Wow, what a great comeback. What are you? 12 years old?

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Didn't Cobain write their material, Mr. Sam Hall?

FAX

Dave Grohl writes for the Foo Fighters, so we're even. My point is Grohl does more today than Cobain when he was alive.

FAX
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Dave Grohl writes for the Foo Fighters, so we're even. My point is Grohl does more today than Cobain when he was alive.

Glad to know we're even, Mr. Sam Hall. Especially considering that I didn't know we were competing. My question was sincere ... not rhetorical.

So Grohl writes for the FF. Did Cobain not write most of the material for Nirvana?

FAX

Ceej
04-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm still trying to convince myself that Mr. "percysnow" is a 29 year old :)

Brock
04-06-2007, 03:18 PM

Are you sure he doesn't just get the credit "because he's the singer"? :rolleyes:

MOhillbilly
04-06-2007, 03:19 PM

funny cause youre talking about main stream bands.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2007, 03:34 PM
FTR Poison Idea and The Accussed raged circles around the rest of those posers.

vailpass
04-06-2007, 03:49 PM
FTR Poison Idea and The Accussed raged circles around the rest of those posers.

Cool you have two posts in a row, both numbered 9337. I think your avvy scared the counter.

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Temple of the Dog was a mixture of all those bands except nirvana. They put out a really good album.

Temple of the Dog = contrived radio music

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 06:04 PM

But he did play drums for QotSA, which kicks all of these guys in the ass...

htismaqe
04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Gotta agree with Htis, Soundgarden and AIC were the best of the Seattle crop. Mudhoney and the Screaming Trees were the unsung heroes of the scene. The media rammed Nirvana and Pearl Jam down our throats ad nauseum. It took me years to gain an appreciation of Nirvana, and I have come to enjoy some PJ tracks from later albums, but Soundgarden and AIC were truly great bands, in any era.

Sons of Kyuss... :D

MOhillbilly
04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Cool you have two posts in a row, both numbered 9337. I think your avvy scared the counter.

im the DEBIL!

Halfcan
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM

allegedly

DaneMcCloud
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM

Cobain was Nirvana, there's denying that fact. If Grohl had replaced him, it would be the Foo Fighters.

This is not true. Dave played all the instruments himself on the first Foo Fighters record and didn't enlist Taylor until the third (he was out with Alanis). But Dave still plays the drums from time to time on the FF records.

That's a ridiculous statement. Dave Grohl is obviously a talented musician and a great and very fluent songwriter. Considering that just about anyone who had a band in Seattle from 1990-1994 got a record deal, Grohl would have certainly broken through on his own at some point. He also wrote lyrics and recieved royalties for writing music with Nirvana.

Grohl's probably the in-demand rock drummer around right now. And contrary to his "Rock God" status, Nirvana wasn't worth two sh*ts before they signed with Geffen, who hooked them up with producer Butch Vig. Butch help to shape and produce Nirvana into the band they became because if you listen to Bleach, you should be able to realize that there's just about nothing in common with that "Demo" and Nevermind.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Considering that just about anyone who had a band in Seattle from 1990-1994 got a record deal,

Anyone ever hear of a band called Small that was out of Eastern WA in the early 90's? They IMO were the best Seattle band of them all. I don't think they ever got signed though, but they did have some environmental commercial on MTV.

Believer
04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
why? why??? why did it have to happen???

cuz the idiot blew his own head off.

just shows you that fame and money only go so far when you are messed up on the inside.

KcMizzou
04-06-2007, 09:43 PM
why? why??? why did it have to happen???

cuz the idiot blew his own head off.

just shows you that fame and money only go so far when you are messed up on the inside.I'm so glad you're back. **HUGGZZ**

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
funny cause youre talking about main stream bands.

Again, that has nothing to do with it. The mainstreamers think Cobain was more talented than Grohl because Cobain was the face of the band by virtue of being the singer. He got all the attention.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Are you sure he doesn't just get the credit "because he's the singer"? :rolleyes:

:lame:

Brock
04-06-2007, 09:54 PM
:lame:

:holdman:

stevieray
04-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Nirvana was built upon The Pixies format that Cobain felt that they had peaked out on...and the angst of a young generation.

another five to seven years, they'll be a blip on the radar...anger rock can only take you so far, maybe that's grohls music is more lightheaterd.

Sam Hall
04-06-2007, 10:36 PM
:holdman: