PDA

View Full Version : UFC results from last night, surprising.

chop
04-08-2007, 05:40 AM
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=5213
By Thomas Gerbasi (tgerbasi@ufc.com)

HOUSTON, April 7 – Odds mean nothing. The past means nothing. In mixed martial arts, what matters is what happens when the bell rings. And when the bell rang at the Toyota Center tonight, Matt Serra came to fight. When you do that, good things can happen, and they did for the Long Island native, who stunned the mixed martial arts world with a first round TKO win over Georges St-Pierre to win the UFC Welterweight Championship in the UFC 69 main event tonight.

Serra had earned his title shot by winning season four of The Ultimate Fighter reality show. St-Pierre, in his first fight since taking the 170-pound title from Matt Hughes last November, was expected to roll over his challenger en route to bigger and better things.

It was not to be.

A smiling and relaxed Serra (16-4) showed no fear of the champion as he met him in the middle of the Octagon to start the bout, but St-Pierre was sharp as he shot out kicks and the occasional quick flurry. The challenger responded with kicks of his own to the champion’s legs, but St-Pierre (13-2) appeared to be too fast for his foe, apparently just biding his time until he decided to pounce.

But that’s why they fight the fights, and just as soon as those words were written, Serra threw a looping right hand that grazed the back of St-Pierre’s head, forcing him to lose his balance and stumble twice. It was all the underrated Serra needed, as he swung for the fences and landed on the still recovering champion, who got into deeper and deeper trouble with each shot the New Yorker landed.

Suddenly, St-Pierre was on the mat, and Serra followed him, never letting his hands stop moving until referee John McCarthy pulled him off at the 3:25 mark and declared him the new welterweight champion of the world.

“Tonight I got beat by a better fighter than myself,” said the always gracious St-Pierre. “He beat me fair and square. I’m very sad right now, but I will come back.”

Undoubtedly. But for now, there’s a new boss at 170 pounds.

After the war of words between Josh Koscheck and Diego Sanchez, nothing less than an all-out shootout was expected between the two welterweight standouts. Unfortunately for Sanchez, the best shot he landed on Koscheck was the two-handed shove he delivered during Friday’s weigh-in, as he was unable to mount any offense whatsoever during the real fight en route to a shutout decision loss in a bout that didn’t deliver on the hype, but that did allow Koscheck to gain revenge on the man who beat him during the first season of ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ while also handing the ‘Nightmare’ his first professional defeat.

Scores were 30-27 across the board for Koscheck, who lifts his slate to 11-1; Sanchez drops to 19-1.

Not surprisingly, the longtime rivals refused to touch gloves before the match commenced, and in the early going that course of action continued as Sanchez and Koscheck circled each other warily in the early going, with the only offense coming via kicks by the former standout college wrestler. By the midway point of the opening frame, scattered boos were heard, and Koscheck responded with a hard right to the face as Sanchez missed with all of his offensive attacks. The final minute saw the boos start up again, as neither fighter was willing to commit to an attack that might end with a mistake. Koscheck took that chance though with 30 seconds left, breaking the ice with a hard takedown that also seemed to wake Sanchez up and the two finally started to kick it into gear as the round ended.

It was more of the same in round two, with both fighters gradually upping their work rates. Oddly enough, Koscheck was getting the better of Sanchez in the striking game, something not expected by most pundits. And it was Koscheck’s discipline that was allowing him to stay in the driver’s seat, as his stick and move strategy left Sanchez swatting air with his counterpunches.

With his undefeated record on the verge of going down the drain, Sanchez showed a look of determination on his face as he left his corner for the final round, but showed no sense of urgency in his actions as the two young stars continued to circle, with only sporadic action being the result. With two minutes left, boos again rose up from the crowd, and again it was Koscheck responding with rangefinding shots that were not damaging, but they were scoring points, and for emphasis, as the clock wound down, he smacked the Albuquerque native on the side of the head with a kick, adding insult to injury as the fight ended.

In stark contrast to Koscheck-Sanchez, Roger Huerta and Leonard Garcia put it all on the line in their lightweight swing bout, and though Huerta emerged with the decision win, there were no losers in one of the best 155-pound battles of recent years.

There was simply no feeling out process between the two Texans, as they came out in a fast and furious fashion as soon as they were waved out of their corners and barely let up for the next 15 minutes. As the bout entered its second minute, both were on the mat, with Huerta briefly getting Garcia’s back. The ‘Bad Boy’ got back to his feet though and he let his fists fly until Huerta slammed him back to the canvas. But just when it seemed Huerta was closing in on a win, Garcia would roar back and earn his respect once again.

The war truly broke out in round two, as both fighters teed off with whatever weapons they had at their command, much to the delight of the crowd, and even the fighters, who smiled at each other in recognition of the fight they were putting on.

What was amazing as the bout entered the final round was not how Huerta and Garcia were able to keep such a pace up, but how no one had fallen yet. But just as in the previous two frames, both fighters went for broke, with Huerta’s strikes crisper, more varied and more accurate. Garcia’s best chance for victory came in the middle of the round as he got Huerta’s back, but it was only a brief window of opportunity as ‘El Matador’ turned the tables and unleashed a barrage of strikes on the courageous Lubbock fighter, who made it to the final round with simply nothing more left to give.

Scores were 30-27 for Huerta, who ups his record to 19-1. Garcia falls to 13-2.

The rise of Mike Swick up the middleweight ranks hit a snag, as he was clearly outpointed by Yushi Okami in a hotly-contested three rounder.

Scores for Okami, who remained unbeaten in the Octagon, were 29-28 twice and 30-27.

Swick made good on his promise to take the fight to Okami, getting right in the Kanagawa native’s face and pecking at him with punches and kicks. Okami is no frightened kid though, and he stood right in the pocket and looked to counter in what became a tense face to face chess match. With two minutes left, an inadvertent low blow by Okami forced Swick to lose his focus for a moment and he was put on the canvas by the veteran, who worked his ground and pound and forced Swick into the most precarious moments of his UFC career as he looked for a submission in the final minute of the round.

With the crowd chanting his name, Swick got back to business early in the second, only to get taken back to the mat by Okami as the round approached the midway mark. Okami’s striking on the mat scored points and left Swick with a knot under his left eye, but after referee Mario Yamasaki stood the two fighters up after a stalemate, the Texas native was finally able to let his hands go, albeit briefly as the fight again went to the canvas. Sensing the fight slipping away, Swick forced a standup and opened fire, briefly jarring Okami just before the bell halted the action.

Okami’s calm was laudable as the bout entered the final round, with Swick’s face showing a sense of urgency. Unfortunately for the hometown hero, Okami’s cool allowed him to counter Swick’s rushes, score a takedown, and then get into the mount position as Swick tried to weather the storm. Okami, sensing http://server-us.imrworldwide.com/cgi-bin/m?ci=us-ufcadtracking&cg=octagonsearch&si=UFC-71-USA
victory, let loose with both hands as Swick was pinned against the fence, hoping for the one opening that would give him another chance to pull out the win. Amazingly, Swick did escape with just under a minute to go, but in Okami’s guard he was unable to mount any kind of offensive, and the clock ran out on him.

With the win, Okami lifts his record to 21-3. Swick falls to 10-2.

TUF3 winner Kendall Grove continued to impress in his UFC campaign as he submitted fellow prospect Alan Belcher in the second round of a heated middleweight battle.

The pace was fast from the outset, with the two 185-pounders looking to establish themselves immediately. Belcher (9-3) was able to get the first takedown, but the 6 foot 6 Grove (10-3) got back to his feet and attacked with knees from the clinch and kicks from long range until the fight hit the floor a second time. After a quick scramble, the two rose and Belcher forced Grove to the fence, only to have ‘Da Spyder’ reverse position on him and land with knees to the leg until referee John McCarthy broke the fighters shortly before the round ended.

Grove’s aggressive attack started to take its toll on Belcher in the second, as his elbows opened a cut on the top of his head, and a furious flurry of strikes followed by a hard takedown put ‘The Talent’ in deep trouble, and that trouble turned into a defeat moments later when Grove locked in a D’Arce choke that ended matters at 4:42 of the second round.

Longtime heavyweight contender Heath Herring rebounded from his January loss to Jake O’Brien with a three round unanimous decision over Brad Imes.

Scores for Herring were 30-27, 30-25, and 29-28.

Imes (6-3) got a takedown to begin the fight and then started working on Herring’s leg while ‘The Texas Crazy Horse’ fought to escape, eventually getting a standup by referee Kerry Hatley. Seconds later the two were back on the mat, this time due to Herring scoring a knockdown on the six foot seven Imes with a solid left hook. And though it appeared that the end was only moments away, Imes was able to survive the initial follow-up from Herring and make it out of the round.

Hoping to reverse his fortunes in the second round, Imes came out throwing bombs, but they never reached their intended target due to the faster hands of Herring (27-12, 1 NC), who again put the Missouri native on his back. The two traded blows while on the canvas, with Herring holding a decided edge, and once Hatley stood the two fighters up, it appeared to be just a matter of time until Herring got the stoppage as he was starting to land almost at will on the gutsy Imes, who refused to give in despite the fact that his face was bloodied and starting to swell in a number of places.

Encouraged by his corner to “leave it all out there” in the final stanza, Imes did just that, landing with a hard knee that forced Herring to seek a takedown and doing whatever he could to turn the tide. Herring kept his cool though, at least until midway through the round, when he kneed Imes to the head while his foe was down, a legal move in Japan, but not in the United States. Herring was not penalized for the infraction though, and the bout ended without the fast-paced action it began with.

Thales Leites dominated from start to finish against New York’s Pete Sell, winning their middleweight bout via a unanimous three round decision.

Leites drew first blood with a takedown 45 seconds into the fight and quickly looked for a choke. Sell was able to get his way out, but only by giving up his back to the Brazilian. Again, Sell escaped into trouble as Leites got on top of the New Yorker and attacked with both hands before sinking in a choke that Sell was only able to get out of by lasting until the end of the round.

Sell tried to rebound in the second, briefly catching his foe in a guillotine choke, but Leites soon got back on top again, landing hard shots that ‘Drago’ had no answer for. Once more though, the bell intervened and saved Sell from defeat.

Sell’s last-ditch effort for victory came with another guillotine choke at the midway point of the final frame, but once the choke came free, it was all Leites, as he finished strong and locked up his first UFC win.

Scores were 30-27 across the board for Leites, who improves to 10-1. Sell falls to 7-4.

Welterweight Marcus Davis continued his progression as a mixed martial artist, impressively submitting Pete Spratt in the second round of a scheduled three rounder.

After an initial high-energy standup exchange, Davis took Spratt to the mat and tried to finish him there, but the San Antonio native wasn’t going away without a fight. Unfortunately for Spratt, Davis’ ground game has grown leaps and bounds since his time on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter, and he was able to get his opponent’s back with a little under three minutes left. Again, Spratt (16-8) held tough as Davis tried to secure a rear naked choke, and with seconds remaining in the round, ‘The Secret Weapon’ fought his way first into Davis’ guard and then back on his feet.

Spratt opened the second with his trademark leg kicks, and after Davis (16-4) fell to the mat attempting a kick, the Texan attacked with both hands. Davis, a former pro boxer, roared back and got the fight back to the mat, only this time he did so with blood streaming down his face. But instead of settling into a ground and pound pattern, ‘The Irish Hand Grenade’ went for the finish and got it, sinking in a fight ending ankle lock at the 2:57 mark.

“Don’t call me a pro boxer,” said Davis. “I’m an MMA fighter.”

New Yorker Luke Cummo got the night off to a rousing start with a second round stoppage of Josh Haynes in a welterweight bout.

A fast pace was set early, with Cummo (8-4) the more accurate puncher while Haynes’ shots were heavier. The New Yorker did land the most telling blow of the round though, getting his foe’s attention with a thudding left hook with under two minutes to go.

The pattern continued in the second, with Cummo potshotting with both hands, and eventually, he hit paydirt with a picture-perfect right hand that put Haynes (9-7) on the canvas. Haynes crawled forward on the mat, trying to clear his head, but it was too late, as referee Kerry Hatley stepped in to halt the bout at the 2:45 mark.

chop
04-08-2007, 05:45 AM
No way did I think that Serra would beat St. Pierre. St. Pierre seemed to be on top of his game and is a very good fighter.

As soon as I heard that Sanchez was fighting Koscheck I thought that he was making a mistake. I thought he was about ready for a title shot. Now I think Josh Koscheck gets the shot.

TrickyNicky
04-08-2007, 07:18 AM
MMAos theory. Just when you think someone should and will beat someone easily, the little guy goes and knocks him out.

burt
04-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I figured that it wouldn't be worth the fee......man, was I wrong. Sorry I didn't get that one.

KcMizzou
04-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I've started watching some UFC on Spike TV, good stuff... I'm becoming a fan.

Putting it on free TV where people can get hooked is a shrewd move. The people in boxing could learn a thing or two.

TrickyNicky
04-08-2007, 09:38 AM
TUF 5 already looks to be the best season because:

a) BJ Penn is hilarious.

b) Lightweights are awesome.

ArrowheadHawk
04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
wow i still can't believe what I saw last night, very weird night, Diego didn't do shit and Serra is the champ wtf?

burt
04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
wow i still can't believe what I saw last night, very weird night, Diego didn't do shit and Serra is the champ wtf?

MMA apocolypse.......

teedubya
04-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I went to SidePockets in Lees Summit to catch this... Serra tore him up with those flurry of punches on the mat. vicious shit.

Bob Dole
04-08-2007, 10:27 AM
The people in boxing could learn a thing or two.

Like how to actually train and box?

teedubya
04-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Boxing and wrestling are dying a slow death due to UFC.

I can't wait until we get the Pay per View "The Running Man" with terrorists and criminals dying at the hands of Ahhhnold Swchartzeeenegro

Halfcan
04-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow I am shocked that Rush lost. He is my fav fighter. He will win the rematch though. Sounds like the guy just got a lucky punch in.

Sully
04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I was at Buffalo Wild Wings last night for the fights, and actually left after the Koschek win, s I thought St Pierre would win easily, and wanted to get some sleep.

Dammit.

Simplex3
04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow I am shocked that Rush lost. He is my fav fighter. He will win the rematch though. Sounds like the guy just got a lucky punch in.
How could I have guessed that you would be on board with the queer Canuck?

Halfcan
04-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Whatever-have you ever seen him fight??

Rush took out Matt. He will be back.

Simplex3
04-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Serra is no joke. I don't know why nobody gave the guy a chance. Anyone with those skills and that heart always has a chance. I would have told you that Serra's best shot was if it went to the mat, though.

:shrug:

Simplex3
04-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Whatever-have you ever seen him fight??

Rush took out Matt. He will be back.
Of course he'll be back. However, Rush will never own the division the way Hughes did. IMO Hughes gets the shot at Serra and probably wins.

Dallas Chief
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4YWDnyFWAc

Watch it quick before it gets pulled...

Mecca
04-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Boxing and wrestling are dying a slow death due to UFC.

I can't wait until we get the Pay per View "The Running Man" with terrorists and criminals dying at the hands of Ahhhnold Swchartzeeenegro

I doubt this board is the place but if MMA didn't supplant wrestling in Japan where the line was much more blurred it surely won't here, they are 2 totally different forms of entertainment. The WWE is nowhere close to losing money or having MMA do much to them.

Demonpenz
04-08-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree wrestling and boxing could learn a thing or two and are going down hill

Halfcan
04-08-2007, 11:58 PM
If Rush does not slip, he wins this one.

Mecca
04-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I agree wrestling and boxing could learn a thing or two and are going down hill

Explain to me how wrestling and MMA have anything in common.

Demonpenz
04-09-2007, 12:40 AM
They don't really have anything in common. One requires skill, focus, and heart. The other one requires papst blue ribbon and beachnut tobacco.

Mecca
04-09-2007, 01:02 AM
I hope you are kidding......wrestling is a work sure but it does take talent to be good at it.

big nasty kcnut
04-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Matt Serra is a damn good fighter. I want to see him and hughes fight

KcMizzou
04-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I hope you are kidding......wrestling is a work sure but it does take talent to be good at it.I dont think D'penz has a serious post in his repertoire. (Yes... I did have to check dictionary.com to spell that word.)

jidar
04-09-2007, 06:28 AM
It was a good UFC, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And thank God that the bumbling idiot wannabe ninja Diego Snachez finally got knocked off of his stupid perch. Man I hate that ****ing moron.

chop
04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
I did get to catch a webcast of the fight this morning. I'm not sure what started St. Pierre stumbling around. It really didn't look like the original punch connected, from the view I had, but the way he was off balance led me to believe he did get hurt. I think he would have recovered much better had it just been a slip. He then did get rocked with a couple blows that followed.

jidar
04-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I did get to catch a webcast of the fight this morning. I'm not sure what started St. Pierre stumbling around. It really didn't look like the original punch connected, from the view I had, but the way he was off balance led me to believe he did get hurt. I think he would have recovered much better had it just been a slip. He then did get rocked with a couple blows that followed.

I watched it in high-def, it was clear the original shot landed, but even so it was hard to understand why he got rocked so badly from it. I guess it was just in the right place for it to throw off equilibrium.

chop
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
I watched it in high-def, it was clear the original shot landed, but even so it was hard to understand why he got rocked so badly from it. I guess it was just in the right place for it to throw off equilibrium.

St. Pierre has been really good in the fights I have seen him in. I watched the prefight stuff where he said he wouldn't mind fighting the champions in higher weight classes. Based upon my opinion of watching him fight in the past, I thought he could give Silva a run for the money. I know it's only one fight but I now have seconds thoughts about that. I'm sure he'll bounce back from this fight. If I were Serra I would try to stay away from St. Pierre for a while though.

jidar
04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
St. Pierre has been really good in the fights I have seen him in. I watched the prefight stuff where he said he wouldn't mind fighting the champions in higher weight classes. Based upon my opinion of watching him fight in the past, I thought he could give Silva a run for the money. I know it's only one fight but I now have seconds thoughts about that. I'm sure he'll bounce back from this fight. If I were Serra I would try to stay away from St. Pierre for a while though.

St. Pierre is a great fighter, but I think what you saw there was the literal embodiment of the "punchers chance".
At any time one shot is all it takes to win it.

Serra is a good fighter, but imo if those two fight 4 times St. Pierre wins 3 of them.

Over-Head
04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Typical red neck response :rolleyes:

TrickyNicky
04-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Also, Nog was introduced as signed with the UFC. That is ten kinds of awesome as he is easily my favorite HW.

Simplex3
04-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Typical red neck response :rolleyes:
Nah, I like St. Piere. I just hate Halfwit. If Halfwit said "I like money" I'd tell him he was a moron.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I can't wait until Matt Hughes gets his hands on Serra after what Serra said about Matt after his last fight. Matt will tear Serra a new one and hand it to him. IMHO

burt
04-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I can't wait until Matt Hughes gets his hands on Serra after what Serra said about Matt after his last fight. Matt will tear Serra a new one and hand it to him. IMHO

What did Serra say?????

TrickyNicky
04-09-2007, 07:08 PM
That was funny how happy Matt was that Serra won. I don't think he looks that excited when he wins a fight.

Floridafan
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
What did Serra say?????

It was a few months ago and my old memory isn't what it used to be but I believe it was after he won the Ulimate Fighter 4 he basically said he didn't think Matt Hughes was all that good and said it with such an attitude that when they showed Matts face he had a look of "your dead" on his face.

Matt admitted screwing up when he fought GSP and took him lightly and trained the same way he did for every fight. He has admitted that was a bad strategy and vowed he will never train for different fighters like that the same way again and will "never" take a fighter lightly again.

If you saw the Serra win over GSP when they showed Matt in the crowd he had a huge grin on his face and was clapping very methodically like "your mine now you dirtbag". Should be short and sweet.

ChiefsFanatic
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Should be short and sweet.

I hope not. I hope Matt gives him at least 3 rounds of GNP. Serra pissed me off with his behind-the-back high school cheerleader crap.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Nah, I like St. Piere. I just hate Halfwit. If Halfwit said "I like money" I'd tell him he was a moron.

:hmmm: So you were willing to look stoopid by insulting a great fighter while enraging the gay community and our excellent neighbors in the Great White North-just to get at me??

Wow, you really got me. :rolleyes:

Simplex3
04-10-2007, 04:57 AM
:hmmm: So you were willing to look stoopid by insulting a great fighter while enraging the gay community and our excellent neighbors in the Great White North-just to get at me??

Wow, you really got me. :rolleyes:
No, I still think St. Piere is gay. I just don't hold it against him.

I'll bet YOU would like to hold yours against him, though.

jidar
04-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Also, Nog was introduced as signed with the UFC. That is ten kinds of awesome as he is easily my favorite HW.

Nog is a great fighter and it's a huge boost to the HW class in UFC, but how can anyone have a favorite HW who isn't named Fedor?

I hope not. I hope Matt gives him at least 3 rounds of GNP. Serra pissed me off with his behind-the-back high school cheerleader crap.

Actually after watching his season on The Ultimate Fighter I don't really like Matt Hughes anymore, the guy is a dickhead. I would kind of like seeing him taken down another notch.

chop
04-10-2007, 07:14 AM

St. Pierre really must make you mad after he does his backflip and then starts his break dance routine. He also spits water into the air before the fight.

Floridafan
04-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I think Matt with toy with Serra and then rear naked choke or something just before the end. I like Hughes and his demeanor. Plus his background of NCAA wrestling is right up my alley.

The Poz
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Serra has some of the heaviest hands in the UFC. Heavier than GSP (I still think that GSP is the better all around fighter) and we saw George knock Hughs around. If Serra connects it's over!
GSP will be back whomever is the champ. Like someone mentioned earlier, if George didn't slip it would have been a different fight.

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Serra has some of the heaviest hands in the UFC. Heavier than GSP (I still think that GSP is the better all around fighter) and we saw George knock Hughs around. If Serra connects it's over!
GSP will be back whomever is the champ. Like someone mentioned earlier, if George didn't slip it would have been a different fight.

Evidently he slipped because he is a gay Canadian. Everybody knows they have poor balance. :shake:

El Jefe
04-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Thats why MMA is so freakin fun to watch. Because the Matt Serra's of MMA always have a chance at the GSP's of MMA. The "Nightmare" shouldnt of taken that fight agains KOS, Koscheck is a really good fighter and I agree that Kos will get what should of been Diego's shot at the belt. I am not impressed with Brad Imes since his emergance in MMA on UF3 I think it was, he was simply bigger than everyone, then Rashad beat him, he has a lot of heart just not a lot of skill IMO.

The Poz
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Everybody knows they have poor balance. :shake:

Yes, we do. It must be due to the over-sized manhood we all have.
:p

Halfcan
04-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Yes, we do. It must be due to the over-sized manhood we all have.
:p

You are just used to walking on solid ice 360 days of the year.

CoMoChief
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I cant wait to see Chuck Liddell fight Quentin Jackson.

Jackson kicked his ass in Pride Fighting about a year ago.

The Poz
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
You are just used to walking on solid ice 360 days of the year.

That and the polar bears gnawing at our bums.

El Jefe
04-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Rampage will beat him again IMO. He is a good fighter and really fun to watch. Chuch is a champ and has earned his respect he is so good because he is always in it, with Chuck it only takes one punch.

TrickyNicky
04-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I cant wait to see Chuck Liddell fight Quentin Jackson.

Jackson kicked his ass in Pride Fighting about a year ago.
I didn't know it was still 2004 :p

To be honest, Chuck has become a better fighter since then. Not to make excuses but he also had a torn ACL in that fight. I really don't expect Jackson to beat him, but he has a big Serra's-chance-in-Texas at beating him.

El Jefe
04-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Are you saying Liddell would be that highly favored, well you my friend are wrong. Rampage isnt some bum that had to use a reality show to get back into MMA and he has dominated in Pride. He may be an under dog but not that big of one, Jackson isnt some bum off the streets this guy is legit. Chuck could beat him easily it would only take one punch. But I would not compare the GSP-Serra fight to the Rampage-Ice man fight by any means. All this is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Easy 6
04-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Are you saying Liddell would be that highly favored, well you my friend are wrong. Rampage isnt some bum that had to use a reality show to get back into MMA and he has dominated in Pride. He may be an under dog but not that big of one, Jackson isnt some bum off the streets this guy is legit. Chuck could beat him easily it would only take one punch. But I would not compare the GSP-Serra fight to the Rampage-Ice man fight by any means. All this is my opinion, take it or leave it.

Jackson/Liddell is going to be one of the best matches ever, easily worth the PPV $$$

Absolutely anything can & will happen, but Chuck has some get back to get. He's just gotta get used to Jacksons shear strength & physical attack style, Rampage is the Clubber Lang of MMA guys.

This fights gonna rock.

jidar
04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Rampage will be the LHW champion.

Simplex3
04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Let's keep in mind that it's a fighter's job to keep his balance instead of falling over trying to not get hit. GSP falling is GSP's bad. Serra took advantage of that mistake and made him pay.